Skip to content

Higgins vs Hodge

The Browns Board
49 19 1.2k 1
  • Neither of these guys would make the Steelers' roster.. Not sure this is really worth discussion as neither are long-term.  DPJ is great as a #4; we need a more reliable and explosive #3 than either of these. They both drop too many and neither can separate from NFL-level man coverage.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Neither of these guys would make the Steelers' roster.. Not sure this is really worth discussion as neither are long-term.  DPJ is great as a #4; we need a more reliable and explosive #3 than either of these. They both drop too many and neither can separate from NFL-level man coverage.

    That double move DPJ put on against off-man might foreshadow his change of direction and ability to separate when his footwork is right and consistent.  Should he continue to improve on that in the off-season, no reason People's can't be a quality NFL receiver.    He's a rookie and contributing early - give it time.

  • Don't change it if it's working. Even before the trade for OBJ, I felt that we could do fine with Landry+ some WR2. We already have a scary double punch running back duo, some reliable TEs and decent WRs.

    I think we could get a better WR corp, but at what cost? I wouldn't spend even a 3rd in drafting one looking at our defense. Plus I think that loading the WR room would only grow tension and put Baker more on the spotlight, when I think this team should be run first in order to become a contender. We even got some good games out of Brashad Perriman in 2018 I believe. 

    Keep the guy who has a lot of chemistry with Baker, and keep Hodge and DPJ if there isn't a cheaper alternative in FA or draft. We got more pressing problems on other areas. 

  • Has Hodge proven anything at this point?  The guy hasn’t even found the end zone yet. 

  • Has Hodge proven anything at this point?  The guy hasn’t even found the end zone yet. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Has Hodge proven anything at this point?  The guy hasn’t even found the end zone yet. 

    Hodge had a bit of bad luck. Had a terrific training camp, but then suffered an injury right when we're starting to heat up. He also got deep early in the season and we missed him against Pittsburgh and Baltimore. He also screwed up against the Ravens by jumping early and causing a penalty on a play designed for him in the end zone. 

    Bottom line, he's probably a bit better then you think, and he's got reliable hands. Many of his receptions go for first downs and he's an elite blocker. Is he better than Higgins? That I don't know, but the guy does have value or else Stefanski wouldn't play him. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Has Hodge proven anything at this point?  The guy hasn’t even found the end zone yet. 

    Hodge had a bit of bad luck. Had a terrific training camp, but then suffered an injury right when we're starting to heat up. He also got deep early in the season and we missed him against Pittsburgh and Baltimore. He also screwed up against the Ravens by jumping early and causing a penalty on a play designed for him in the end zone. 

    Bottom line, he's probably a bit better then you think, and he's got reliable hands. Many of his receptions go for first downs and he's an elite blocker. Is he better than Higgins? That I don't know, but the guy does have value or else Stefanski wouldn't play him. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Hodge had a bit of bad luck. Had a terrific training camp, but then suffered an injury right when we're starting to heat up. He also got deep early in the season and we missed him against Pittsburgh and Baltimore. He also screwed up against the Ravens by jumping early and causing a penalty on a play designed for him in the end zone. 

    Bottom line, he's probably a bit better then you think, and he's got reliable hands. Many of his receptions go for first downs and he's an elite blocker. Is he better than Higgins? That I don't know, but the guy does have value or else Stefanski wouldn't play him. 

    9 times out of 10- I’ll take a known quantity over an unknown quantity.

  • Zombo said:

    Hodge is a great blocker and a good guy to have on the roster.

    Hands are good as well. That diving sideline catch he made a couple weeks ago showed me something I had not seen before.

    I checked receiver drops for grins and in the "top 20" we have only one name. Surprised to see it was Landry who is tied for 8th with 6. Then I remembered that rough, couple-game stretch he had a few weeks ago when IIRC he was playing hurt. List only went as high as 4 with a dozen or more tied at the 18th spot.

    As a team we are tied for 10th most at 17 with 5 other teams. League leaders? Not surprisingly (if you've been reading Vag's posts) it's PTG tied with DAL at 27.

  • Zombo said:

    Hodge is a great blocker and a good guy to have on the roster.

    Hands are good as well. That diving sideline catch he made a couple weeks ago showed me something I had not seen before.

    I checked receiver drops for grins and in the "top 20" we have only one name. Surprised to see it was Landry who is tied for 8th with 6. Then I remembered that rough, couple-game stretch he had a few weeks ago when IIRC he was playing hurt. List only went as high as 4 with a dozen or more tied at the 18th spot.

    As a team we are tied for 10th most at 17 with 5 other teams. League leaders? Not surprisingly (if you've been reading Vag's posts) it's PTG tied with DAL at 27.

    @tour2ma said:

    checked receiver drops for grins and in the "top 20" we have only one name. Surprised to see it was Landry who is tied for 8th with 6

    Ya know what though, sometimes Landry is a last resort throw to.  Like OBJ was.  If all else fails, throw it to one of them, and throw it where only superman can catch it.

  • watch Hodge on ST's, he makes his mark there.

  • Has Hodge proven anything at this point?  The guy hasn’t even found the end zone yet. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Has Hodge proven anything at this point?  The guy hasn’t even found the end zone yet. 

    Eggzactly!... Khadarell Hodges are a dime a dozen!

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Has Hodge proven anything at this point?  The guy hasn’t even found the end zone yet. 

    Eggzactly!... Khadarell Hodges are a dime a dozen!

    @nickers said:

    Eggzactly!... Khadarell Hodges are a dime a dozen!

    I think he’s actually valuable and reliable as a 4th WR on the roster...but let’s not pretend that we can compare Hodge and Hollywood at this point.  

  • @nickers said:

    Eggzactly!... Khadarell Hodges are a dime a dozen!

    I think he’s actually valuable and reliable as a 4th WR on the roster...but let’s not pretend that we can compare Hodge and Hollywood at this point.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I think he’s actually valuable and reliable as a 4th WR on the roster...but let’s not pretend that we can compare Hodge and Hollywood at this point.  

    I agree!

  • I wanted to update this after our Wild Card win over the Steelers.  During the game Collinsworth said that Higgins doesn't run good routes and he's not fast, while he was praising the connection he and Baker have.  Kind of a backhanded compliment if you will.  But the gist is that he doesn't think Higgins runs good routes.  I mean, we know that he's not real fast, but we don't really get to watch his route running too much.  -  I did see a replay from the game where Landry put a beautiful head and shoulders fake on a DB to dart inside and have separation...and catch the pass.  If you're going against man coverage, you've gotta be a good route runner to get any separation...and to be able to be a reliable target.  That's what makes the OBJ's and the Landry's of the league so good.

  • I wanted to update this after our Wild Card win over the Steelers.  During the game Collinsworth said that Higgins doesn't run good routes and he's not fast, while he was praising the connection he and Baker have.  Kind of a backhanded compliment if you will.  But the gist is that he doesn't think Higgins runs good routes.  I mean, we know that he's not real fast, but we don't really get to watch his route running too much.  -  I did see a replay from the game where Landry put a beautiful head and shoulders fake on a DB to dart inside and have separation...and catch the pass.  If you're going against man coverage, you've gotta be a good route runner to get any separation...and to be able to be a reliable target.  That's what makes the OBJ's and the Landry's of the league so good.

    @orion said:

    I wanted to update this after our Wild Card win over the Steelers.  During the game Collinsworth said that Higgins doesn't run good routes and he's not fast, while he was praising the connection he and Baker have.  Kind of a backhanded compliment if you will.  But the gist is that he doesn't think Higgins runs good routes.  I mean, we know that he's not real fast, but we don't really get to watch his route running too much.  -  I did see a replay from the game where Landry put a beautiful head and shoulders fake on a DB to dart inside and have separation...and catch the pass.  If you're going against man coverage, you've gotta be a good route runner to get any separation...and to be able to be a reliable target.  That's what makes the OBJ's and the Landry's of the league so good.

    I’d like to see the analytics on percentage of contested catches.  I think Hollywood does a good job with a defender draped over him making grabs.  Yes, I don’t think he separates that well and he’s not a blazer in fact probably not “fast” I haven’t noticed bad route running - I guess we will defer to the 2rd rate 80s Bengal WR.

    You usually need “quicks” speed or be a polished route runner to survive at that level.  

  • @orion said:

    I wanted to update this after our Wild Card win over the Steelers.  During the game Collinsworth said that Higgins doesn't run good routes and he's not fast, while he was praising the connection he and Baker have.  Kind of a backhanded compliment if you will.  But the gist is that he doesn't think Higgins runs good routes.  I mean, we know that he's not real fast, but we don't really get to watch his route running too much.  -  I did see a replay from the game where Landry put a beautiful head and shoulders fake on a DB to dart inside and have separation...and catch the pass.  If you're going against man coverage, you've gotta be a good route runner to get any separation...and to be able to be a reliable target.  That's what makes the OBJ's and the Landry's of the league so good.

    I’d like to see the analytics on percentage of contested catches.  I think Hollywood does a good job with a defender draped over him making grabs.  Yes, I don’t think he separates that well and he’s not a blazer in fact probably not “fast” I haven’t noticed bad route running - I guess we will defer to the 2rd rate 80s Bengal WR.

    You usually need “quicks” speed or be a polished route runner to survive at that level.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I guess we will defer to the 2rd rate 80s Bengal WR. 

    I know you're trying to make a point, but 2nd rate?

    Cris had 5 healthy seasons and posted 1000+ in four of them (starting with his rookie season) and 989 in the fifth.

    Dude was tall (6'5) and fast (4.4 in the 40) and agile... problem was that at 192# he was a rail. Had great hands as well...

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I guess we will defer to the 2rd rate 80s Bengal WR. 

    I know you're trying to make a point, but 2nd rate?

    Cris had 5 healthy seasons and posted 1000+ in four of them (starting with his rookie season) and 989 in the fifth.

    Dude was tall (6'5) and fast (4.4 in the 40) and agile... problem was that at 192# he was a rail. Had great hands as well...

    @tour2ma said:

    Dude was tall (6'5) and fast (4.4 in the 40) and agile

    - talking about Chris Collinsworth - He was a genuine pain in the ass to our defense.  I hated him.  I hated him in 2007 when he was talking about us and was so obviously disappointed sounding when he was saying that it looks like the Browns were going to the playoffs. (he obviously hated us.  and, of course, we didn't end up going to the playoffs).

    But I always thought that he was a good receiver.  And I thought he was a quality commentator.  Articulate and knowledgeable.  And judging by his work during our Wild Card game broadcast, he's gotten over his playing days hatred of us. 

  • @orion said:

    I wanted to update this after our Wild Card win over the Steelers.  During the game Collinsworth said that Higgins doesn't run good routes and he's not fast, while he was praising the connection he and Baker have.  Kind of a backhanded compliment if you will.  But the gist is that he doesn't think Higgins runs good routes.  I mean, we know that he's not real fast, but we don't really get to watch his route running too much.  -  I did see a replay from the game where Landry put a beautiful head and shoulders fake on a DB to dart inside and have separation...and catch the pass.  If you're going against man coverage, you've gotta be a good route runner to get any separation...and to be able to be a reliable target.  That's what makes the OBJ's and the Landry's of the league so good.

    I’d like to see the analytics on percentage of contested catches.  I think Hollywood does a good job with a defender draped over him making grabs.  Yes, I don’t think he separates that well and he’s not a blazer in fact probably not “fast” I haven’t noticed bad route running - I guess we will defer to the 2rd rate 80s Bengal WR.

    You usually need “quicks” speed or be a polished route runner to survive at that level.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’d like to see the analytics on percentage of contested catches.  I think Hollywood does a good job with a defender draped over him making grabs.  Yes, I don’t think he separates that well and he’s not a blazer in fact probably not “fast” I haven’t noticed bad route running - I guess we will defer to the 2rd rate 80s Bengal WR.

    You usually need “quicks” speed or be a polished route runner to survive at that level.  

    One thing l noted in the game where we lost all our starting receivers was the diminished ability to make the contested catch. Higgins does a fine job at that. Not quite Landry-esque, but pretty good.

    Plenty of guys have carved out a good career by doing just that, making contested catches.

  • @orion said:

    I wanted to update this after our Wild Card win over the Steelers.  During the game Collinsworth said that Higgins doesn't run good routes and he's not fast, while he was praising the connection he and Baker have.  Kind of a backhanded compliment if you will.  But the gist is that he doesn't think Higgins runs good routes.  I mean, we know that he's not real fast, but we don't really get to watch his route running too much.  -  I did see a replay from the game where Landry put a beautiful head and shoulders fake on a DB to dart inside and have separation...and catch the pass.  If you're going against man coverage, you've gotta be a good route runner to get any separation...and to be able to be a reliable target.  That's what makes the OBJ's and the Landry's of the league so good.

    I’d like to see the analytics on percentage of contested catches.  I think Hollywood does a good job with a defender draped over him making grabs.  Yes, I don’t think he separates that well and he’s not a blazer in fact probably not “fast” I haven’t noticed bad route running - I guess we will defer to the 2rd rate 80s Bengal WR.

    You usually need “quicks” speed or be a polished route runner to survive at that level.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’d like to see the analytics on percentage of contested catches.  I think Hollywood does a good job with a defender draped over him making grabs.

    Turns out there's a site for that... ? Pretty good one I've used before. Here's Higgins' and Hodge's...

    image.png.f492798c84298b645381efcc0c532f11.pnghttps://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/rashard-higgins/

    image.png.af9db13de922115eeb59123ef508a9c2.pnghttps://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/khadarel-hodge/

    And while I'm at it...

    image.png.9ac56877d8a642b5c993a3401625a6b5.png Landry...

    I can't attest to their accuracy or methodology. If you look at PFF's ratings you see their top guys are in the mid-60s or so, so clearly there are some subjective differences between them.

    However, any site's ratings should be good relative to itself.

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Neither of these guys would make the Steelers' roster.. Not sure this is really worth discussion as neither are long-term.  DPJ is great as a #4; we need a more reliable and explosive #3 than either of these. They both drop too many and neither can separate from NFL-level man coverage.

    That double move DPJ put on against off-man might foreshadow his change of direction and ability to separate when his footwork is right and consistent.  Should he continue to improve on that in the off-season, no reason People's can't be a quality NFL receiver.    He's a rookie and contributing early - give it time.

    @tiamat63 said:

    That double move DPJ put on against off-man might foreshadow his change of direction and ability to separate when his footwork is right and consistent.  Should he continue to improve on that in the off-season, no reason People's can't be a quality NFL receiver.    He's a rookie and contributing early - give it time.

    He's made several KEY blocks down the stretch here.  Rook looks like a steal, though the Buckeye in me wanted KJ Hill

  • @tour2ma said:

    Dude was tall (6'5) and fast (4.4 in the 40) and agile

    - talking about Chris Collinsworth - He was a genuine pain in the ass to our defense.  I hated him.  I hated him in 2007 when he was talking about us and was so obviously disappointed sounding when he was saying that it looks like the Browns were going to the playoffs. (he obviously hated us.  and, of course, we didn't end up going to the playoffs).

    But I always thought that he was a good receiver.  And I thought he was a quality commentator.  Articulate and knowledgeable.  And judging by his work during our Wild Card game broadcast, he's gotten over his playing days hatred of us. 

    @orion said:

    - talking about Chris Collinsworth -Articulate and knowledgeable.  And judging by his work during our Wild Card game broadcast, he's gotten over his playing days hatred of us. 

    Yep-he did us a very excellent job.

  • @orion said:

    - talking about Chris Collinsworth -Articulate and knowledgeable.  And judging by his work during our Wild Card game broadcast, he's gotten over his playing days hatred of us. 

    Yep-he did us a very excellent job.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yep-he did us a very excellent job.

    When he said, "The Browns are up 28-0, but you know that not a soul in Cleveland is feeling comfortable", I said, He knows us Browns fans pretty well.

    But the Browns have broken Soooo many of our negative traditions this season.  I've been repeating since mid-way through the season, "We're no longer the same old Browns."