Skip to content

Week 16: CLE @ NYJ.... a/k/a Meadowlands 2.0

The Browns Board
67 18 1.9k 1
  • Clarett's one year  COLLEGE stats:

    Rushing & Receiving

     
     
        Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
    Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
    Career Ohio State         222 1237 5.6 16 12 104 8.7 2 234 1341 5.7 18
    *2002 Ohio State Big Ten FR RB 11 222 1237 5.6 16 12 104 8.7 2 234 1341 5.7 18

    Gore's 3 year college stats:

    Rushing & Receiving

     
     
        Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
    Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
    Career Miami (FL)         348 1975 5.7 17 23 225 9.8 0 371 22
    2001 Miami (FL) Big East FR RB 11 62 562 9.1 5 1 14 14.0 0 63 576 9.1 5
    *2003 Miami (FL) Big East SO RB 5 89 468 5.3 4 12 105 8.8 0 101 573 5.7 4
    *2004 Miami (FL) ACC JR RB 12 197 945 4.8 8 10 106 10.6 0 207 1051 5.1 8

    Draw whatever conclusion you want from these.  

    The conclusion I draw is that Clarett should have stayed in school.  But He making himself a sacrificial lamb for what is seen as a civil right's cause was noble, even if it was a failed attempt. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Clarett's one year  COLLEGE stats:

    Rushing & Receiving

     
     
        Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
    Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
    Career Ohio State         222 1237 5.6 16 12 104 8.7 2 234 1341 5.7 18
    *2002 Ohio State Big Ten FR RB 11 222 1237 5.6 16 12 104 8.7 2 234 1341 5.7 18

    Gore's 3 year college stats:

    Rushing & Receiving

     
     
        Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
    Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
    Career Miami (FL)         348 1975 5.7 17 23 225 9.8 0 371 22
    2001 Miami (FL) Big East FR RB 11 62 562 9.1 5 1 14 14.0 0 63 576 9.1 5
    *2003 Miami (FL) Big East SO RB 5 89 468 5.3 4 12 105 8.8 0 101 573 5.7 4
    *2004 Miami (FL) ACC JR RB 12 197 945 4.8 8 10 106 10.6 0 207 1051 5.1 8

    Draw whatever conclusion you want from these.  

    The conclusion I draw is that Clarett should have stayed in school.  But He making himself a sacrificial lamb for what is seen as a civil right's cause was noble, even if it was a failed attempt. 

    So? It was obvious when he got to the pros Clarett was too damn slow, and totally unmotivated. I believe if he ever shows up again Rich4Eagle owes Zombo some money over that.... 

    OTOH, you can be spectacularly great in college and suck in the pros- like two time Heisman winner Archie Griffin. 

  • Here's a great primer for the upcoming Browns vs Jets game. 

    Where were you during this game? 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Here's a great primer for the upcoming Browns vs Jets game. 

    Where were you during this game? 

    I was AT that game. Corner End zone, closed end.... Jets fans in front of us yucking it up, they thought they had it wrapped up. They forgot beer flows downhill.  🙂 

    My other big game was Red Right 88, sitting in what was to become the Dawg Pound. That play happened right in front of me, and it will be forever ingrained in  my memory.... 

  • One year vs. 20....

    Hmmmmmm....

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Here's a great primer for the upcoming Browns vs Jets game. 

    Where were you during this game? 

    I was AT that game. Corner End zone, closed end.... Jets fans in front of us yucking it up, they thought they had it wrapped up. They forgot beer flows downhill.  🙂 

    My other big game was Red Right 88, sitting in what was to become the Dawg Pound. That play happened right in front of me, and it will be forever ingrained in  my memory.... 

    @hoorta said:

    I was AT that game. Corner End zone, closed end.... Jets fans in front of us yucking it up, they thought they had it wrapped up. They forgot beer flows downhill.  🙂 

    My other big game was Red Right 88, sitting in what was to become the Dawg Pound. That play happened right in front of me, and it will be forever ingrained in  my memory.... 

    My dad bought a VCR when they first came out, one of those top loaders, and recorded the Red Right 88 game. 

    I was 5 years old in January, 1981 and for months I would rewatch that game with the belief that if I watched it enough Sipe would throw a touchdown and the Browns would win. 

    I can't even imagine how cold you were. I think, with the windchill, it's still considered in the top 3 coldest games ever. 

  • @hoorta said:

    I was AT that game. Corner End zone, closed end.... Jets fans in front of us yucking it up, they thought they had it wrapped up. They forgot beer flows downhill.  🙂 

    My other big game was Red Right 88, sitting in what was to become the Dawg Pound. That play happened right in front of me, and it will be forever ingrained in  my memory.... 

    My dad bought a VCR when they first came out, one of those top loaders, and recorded the Red Right 88 game. 

    I was 5 years old in January, 1981 and for months I would rewatch that game with the belief that if I watched it enough Sipe would throw a touchdown and the Browns would win. 

    I can't even imagine how cold you were. I think, with the windchill, it's still considered in the top 3 coldest games ever. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I was 5 years old in January, 1981 and for months I would rewatch that game with the belief that if I watched it enough Sipe would throw a touchdown and the Browns would win. 

    A whole new take on "object permanence"...

  • @hoorta said:

    I was AT that game. Corner End zone, closed end.... Jets fans in front of us yucking it up, they thought they had it wrapped up. They forgot beer flows downhill.  🙂 

    My other big game was Red Right 88, sitting in what was to become the Dawg Pound. That play happened right in front of me, and it will be forever ingrained in  my memory.... 

    My dad bought a VCR when they first came out, one of those top loaders, and recorded the Red Right 88 game. 

    I was 5 years old in January, 1981 and for months I would rewatch that game with the belief that if I watched it enough Sipe would throw a touchdown and the Browns would win. 

    I can't even imagine how cold you were. I think, with the windchill, it's still considered in the top 3 coldest games ever. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    My dad bought a VCR when they first came out, one of those top loaders, and recorded the Red Right 88 game. 

    I was 5 years old in January, 1981 and for months I would rewatch that game with the belief that if I watched it enough Sipe would throw a touchdown and the Browns would win. 

    I can't even imagine how cold you were. I think, with the windchill, it's still considered in the top 3 coldest games ever. 

    81?  

    God... I'm feeling youthful AF this morning.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    My dad bought a VCR when they first came out, one of those top loaders, and recorded the Red Right 88 game. 

    I was 5 years old in January, 1981 and for months I would rewatch that game with the belief that if I watched it enough Sipe would throw a touchdown and the Browns would win. 

    I can't even imagine how cold you were. I think, with the windchill, it's still considered in the top 3 coldest games ever. 

    81?  

    God... I'm feeling youthful AF this morning.

    @tiamat63 said:

    81?  

    God... I'm feeling youthful AF this morning.

    I'm glad I got to see some good 80s Browns football, because I don't know how Browns fans who only know the '99 version of this franchise have stuck around long enough to see this team finally get good. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    My dad bought a VCR when they first came out, one of those top loaders, and recorded the Red Right 88 game. 

    I was 5 years old in January, 1981 and for months I would rewatch that game with the belief that if I watched it enough Sipe would throw a touchdown and the Browns would win. 

    I can't even imagine how cold you were. I think, with the windchill, it's still considered in the top 3 coldest games ever. 

    81?  

    God... I'm feeling youthful AF this morning.

    @tiamat63 said:

    God... I'm feeling youthful AF this morning.

    Just remember to respect your elders, sonny...

  • @tiamat63 said:

    81?  

    God... I'm feeling youthful AF this morning.

    I'm glad I got to see some good 80s Browns football, because I don't know how Browns fans who only know the '99 version of this franchise have stuck around long enough to see this team finally get good. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm glad I got to see some good 80s Browns football

    You should have seen us in the 60's...

    I did...

    Just can't remember it...

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'm glad I got to see some good 80s Browns football

    You should have seen us in the 60's...

    I did...

    Just can't remember it...

    @tour2ma said:

    You should have seen us in the 60's...

    I did...

    Just can't remember it...

    I have a dad who is a Browns fan since the late 50s and also a history nerd, so I grew up on stories of those teams. I was probably the only 10 year old in 1986 who could tell someone what a "Milt Morin" was. ?

    There's a poster on Youtube named "Comrade Dobler" who somehow got his hands on old Browns tapes. I'm not talking just highlights (he has them too) but complete game tapes dating back to 1946. All the filler stuff is eliminated, just the plays, so they last roughly 30 minutes. Unbelievable to get to see Otto Graham, Marion Motley, etc play whole games. Now that I have a 55" Smart TV, I can watch those old Browns games on a big ass TV instead of a laptop. 

  • Watching GMF and they're talking about the Steelers slide.  It's glorious.

    Oh, also my angel Kay just looks like a Christmas gift.  ??

  • @hoorta said:

    I was AT that game. Corner End zone, closed end.... Jets fans in front of us yucking it up, they thought they had it wrapped up. They forgot beer flows downhill.  🙂 

    My other big game was Red Right 88, sitting in what was to become the Dawg Pound. That play happened right in front of me, and it will be forever ingrained in  my memory.... 

    My dad bought a VCR when they first came out, one of those top loaders, and recorded the Red Right 88 game. 

    I was 5 years old in January, 1981 and for months I would rewatch that game with the belief that if I watched it enough Sipe would throw a touchdown and the Browns would win. 

    I can't even imagine how cold you were. I think, with the windchill, it's still considered in the top 3 coldest games ever. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    My dad bought a VCR when they first came out, one of those top loaders, and recorded the Red Right 88 game. 

    I was 5 years old in January, 1981 and for months I would rewatch that game with the belief that if I watched it enough Sipe would throw a touchdown and the Browns would win. 

    I can't even imagine how cold you were. I think, with the windchill, it's still considered in the top 3 coldest games ever. 

    LOL!!! Cold is a state of mind... Not really. You just have to know how to dress for the elements. I still do a lot of winter cycling where wind chills can approach negative numbers.  🙂  Back then I had a full bore Gerry Expedition parka- suitable for those who want to take a shot at Denali in Alaska where wind chills can reach -40 or lower if you get stuck in a storm.  BTW, that wasn't the coldest game I remember. Was with my brother and we were playing the Rams, around 9 degrees I believe. Our traveler beers turned to slush on the walk to the stadium- now That's cold.  

    Speaking of Alaska- part of our group for Red Right 88 were two good friends I grew up with in Cleveland who relocated to the Northlands.  First year they lived around Fairbanks- shot a moose, it was reliably far below freezing in the winter, strung it up in a tree. Lower the rope, and saw off a chunk when you wanted dinner. I could tell you a bunch of stories about their adventures- and misadventures up there. But I digress.  

    Tim was worried we were swigging Jack Daniels that was chilling in the snow, darn nervous Nellie- (there are stories of guys in Alaska keeling over from heart failure walking into an unheated cabin at 40 below, swigging the unfrozen high octane because the stuff is super cooled). Um, we weren't too worried about it. 

    Regarding the good old days of high octane- man I do feel for you young 'uns who never got to experience the fun of bringing in your own stuff. Back then, as long as you were 1\2 discreet about it, you could haul in anything you wanted. Even after they had to stop glass containers I well remember one Browns- Colts game where we had a 3 gallon Coleman loaded with beer, and sis had a 2 liter 7-Up that was 50\50 vodka.  🙂   Yeah- you could even smoke in your seats back then, and there was a section in the Stadium affectionately known as the O-Zone, and they weren't smoking cigarettes if you get my drift.... 

    @tour2ma said:

    You should have seen us in the 60's...

    I did...

    Just can't remember it...

    Ok, I guess I can date myself. I was five years old when Otto Graham retired, don't ever remember him playing-and those were the days when televisions were a newfangled toy- most homes didn't even have them, they were ridiculously expensive at first. (I have a New York times from my birth year) back then, you could get a 4 bedroom home on Long Island for $12,000- a decent car was $1,800- and a new TV was $500.  

    When you're a kid, you just really don't appreciate stuff fully. Grandpa was a supervisor at TRW, and had control of some purchasing contracts. Naturally, vendors would seriously schmooze him with trinkets like sports tickets and yacht fishing trips on Lake Erie. Three rows behind the Indians dugout. Yeah, I got to see Jim Brown play plenty of times from the 100 level, 30 yard line. In a Christmas spirit.  "Oh what fun it was to see the Browns smear the Cowboys 55-6." 🙂  

    Merry Christmas to all, and to all GO BROWNS!!!!

  • Here's a great primer for the upcoming Browns vs Jets game. 

    Where were you during this game? 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Here's a great primer for the upcoming Browns vs Jets game. 

    Where were you during this game? 

    I was at that game as well. Honestly, the game sucked real bad, the Browns were asleep for about 57 minutes, then Gastineau helped us out with the personal foul. The Browns D was unreal in the OT periods. 

    If I recall, the NY Jets were red hot early in the year, were 10-1 at one point and kind of collapsed down the stretch. They won the wildcard game and nearly got us.

  • @tour2ma said:

    You should have seen us in the 60's...

    I did...

    Just can't remember it...

    I have a dad who is a Browns fan since the late 50s and also a history nerd, so I grew up on stories of those teams. I was probably the only 10 year old in 1986 who could tell someone what a "Milt Morin" was. ?

    There's a poster on Youtube named "Comrade Dobler" who somehow got his hands on old Browns tapes. I'm not talking just highlights (he has them too) but complete game tapes dating back to 1946. All the filler stuff is eliminated, just the plays, so they last roughly 30 minutes. Unbelievable to get to see Otto Graham, Marion Motley, etc play whole games. Now that I have a 55" Smart TV, I can watch those old Browns games on a big ass TV instead of a laptop. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    There's a poster on Youtube named "Comrade Dobler" who somehow got his hands on old Browns tapes. I'm not talking just highlights (he has them too) but complete game tapes dating back to 1946. All the filler stuff is eliminated, just the plays, so they last roughly 30 minutes.

    Went looking for the poster and found his page. Thanks...

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u5A_g_FGYahCeAqer4z3Q

    @hoorta said:

    Ok, I guess I can date myself. I was five years old when Otto Graham retired,

    That was after the '55 season, so looks like you've got me by about 1-1/2 years.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    There's a poster on Youtube named "Comrade Dobler" who somehow got his hands on old Browns tapes. I'm not talking just highlights (he has them too) but complete game tapes dating back to 1946. All the filler stuff is eliminated, just the plays, so they last roughly 30 minutes.

    Went looking for the poster and found his page. Thanks...

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u5A_g_FGYahCeAqer4z3Q

    @hoorta said:

    Ok, I guess I can date myself. I was five years old when Otto Graham retired,

    That was after the '55 season, so looks like you've got me by about 1-1/2 years.

    @tour2ma said:

    Went looking for the poster and found his page. Thanks...

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u5A_g_FGYahCeAqer4z3Q

    That was after the '55 season, so looks like you've got me by about 1-1/2 years.

    1) I thought you were a lot younger than me.... 

    2) If anyone has a link to the broadcast of 1964 Championship game, let me know- I've heard (unbelievably) one doesn't exist....  

  • @tour2ma said:

    Went looking for the poster and found his page. Thanks...

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u5A_g_FGYahCeAqer4z3Q

    That was after the '55 season, so looks like you've got me by about 1-1/2 years.

    1) I thought you were a lot younger than me.... 

    2) If anyone has a link to the broadcast of 1964 Championship game, let me know- I've heard (unbelievably) one doesn't exist....  

    @hoorta said:

    2) If anyone has a link to the broadcast of 1964 Championship game, let me know- I've heard (unbelievably) one doesn't exist....  

    I own the radio broadcast of the game.  (on CD)

  • @hoorta said:

    2) If anyone has a link to the broadcast of 1964 Championship game, let me know- I've heard (unbelievably) one doesn't exist....  

    I own the radio broadcast of the game.  (on CD)

    @orion said:

    I own the radio broadcast of the game.  (on CD)

    This may be that:

  • News - Quinnen Williams of the Jets will not play vs the Browns.

    I sure hope Wills does.

  • Here's highlights from the '64 Championship

  • (previously posted this in wrong thread) 

    Teller injury is so devastating because we aren't the same running team without him. That being said, Nick Harris will have a week of practice at RG and SHOULD look a bit better, especially without having to deal with Quinnen Williams. Harris certainly wasn't BAD, but it was obvious we struggled running the rock. 

    We don't have a defense, we all know it. That means we can't turn it over, we have to get 7 in the red zone, and we can't miss kicks. I'm telling you right now, the Jets WILL move the ball on us. We have a problem forcing punts. We also don't force turnovers anymore. Our defense does not get off the field. We have the absolute WORST 4th down defense in the league, and the Jets have nothing to lose so you can bet your ass they're going for it on 4th down. Our defense has given up 20-25 4th down conversions. Yo. 

    The GOOD news is that we stopped the Giants twice last game on 4th down, which was huge, and we stopped Titans on a gigantic 4th, so perhaps we're trending in the right direction...but I wouldn't count on it. We can't cover the middle of the field, we're not great against the run, and all those turnovers we got early in the season that saved our asses have vanished quicker than my hairline. 

    If we don't turn it over, we will win. It's really that simple. I expect a very close game, at least early, and I don't expect the Jets to roll over at all.