The Browns named their playoff-clinching play after Colin Cowherd's shot at Baker Mayfield
-
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/01/baker-mayfield-colin-cowherd-maserati-mazda-play-name-browns-nfl
That play, though, was called “Maserati.”
And, well, two years ago, Cowherd said of Mayfield:
“When you’re a No. 1 pick, I want you to be a Maserati — not a Mazda.”
According to MMQB, that name was brought back as a way to joke about Mayfield’s speed.
“It was for short yardage this week, and we called it,” said guard Joel Bitonio, the longest-tenured Brown, in his seventh season in Cleveland. “I was kinda giving Baker [Mayfield] a little bit of crap earlier in the week about his speed, having him run the ball. It was a good play getting the extra blocker with Kareem [Hunt] leading the way there. I was on the backside so I just kinda cut my guy off. I saw him get the first down and get down in bounds, and I knew we had the game sealed.
Though Bitonio didn’t explicitly mention Cowherd in that explanation, the choice to settle on “Maserati” for the play wasn’t a coincidence. The Browns didn’t forget.
The Browns will play the Steelers once again in Sunday’s Wild Card round.
-
-
-
-
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login