Clay Matthew HOF Finalist!
-
Well I'd disagree with that, and I loved Megatron.
There really shouldn't be a bias, but it seems to me a lot of Packers & Steelers get in once they make it this far.
By that do you mean that you do NOT believe that behind Peyton that Calvin is not considered the next sure thing......or just not YOUR next sure thing. (I think conventional wisdom IS that he is the next sure thing after Peyton)
By that do you mean that you do NOT believe that behind Peyton that Calvin is not considered the next sure thing......or just not YOUR next sure thing. (I think conventional wisdom IS that he is the next sure thing after Peyton)
I think a WR, no matter how good, who plays only 9 seasons in a pass happy era is going to have to wait.
You may call that unconventional wisdom. After the committee discusses it, I'd be shocked if he's a first ballot HOFer.
-
By that do you mean that you do NOT believe that behind Peyton that Calvin is not considered the next sure thing......or just not YOUR next sure thing. (I think conventional wisdom IS that he is the next sure thing after Peyton)
I think a WR, no matter how good, who plays only 9 seasons in a pass happy era is going to have to wait.
You may call that unconventional wisdom. After the committee discusses it, I'd be shocked if he's a first ballot HOFer.
-
Unlike past years where the voters gather before the day of the Super Bowl to select those to go into the HOF, this time the voting was apparently done virtually....and was already conducted, even though the results are not to be officially released until the day before the Super Bowl.
One of the Finalists apparently has already gotten the word somehow that he did not make it: Leroy Butler:
https://sports.yahoo.com/leroy-butler-indicates-did-not-154626932.html
Which means possibly one less player that Clay Matthews is up against. (though, I personally am not optimistic)
-
Well fellow Browns fans, tomorrow we will know if the long time linebacker will be inducted into the H.O.F. He should be inducted. He happens to be me my all time favorite player on the Browns. And i'm sorry but Tony Boselli doesn't belong on this list. He didn't play long enough. So if Tony Boselli gets in and Clay Mathews doesn't, oh hell, im going to call the election board a bunch of frauds.
-
Well fellow Browns fans, tomorrow we will know if the long time linebacker will be inducted into the H.O.F. He should be inducted. He happens to be me my all time favorite player on the Browns. And i'm sorry but Tony Boselli doesn't belong on this list. He didn't play long enough. So if Tony Boselli gets in and Clay Mathews doesn't, oh hell, im going to call the election board a bunch of frauds.
Well fellow Browns fans, tomorrow we will know if the long time linebacker will be inducted into the H.O.F. He should be inducted. He happens to be me my all time favorite player on the Browns. And i'm sorry but Tony Boselli doesn't belong on this list. He didn't play long enough. So if Tony Boselli gets in and Clay Mathews doesn't, oh hell, im going to call the election board a bunch of frauds.
My fave all time also... It would be a travesty.. It would border on Pete Rose stupidity...
-
Here is some info. This is Clay's 20th year of eligibility...and I believe it is the Final year he will be eligible.
But it is the very first time he has been a Finalist: Voting is tomorrow.
Year of Eligibility
Finalist
1st
Jared Allen, Calvin Johnson, Peyton Manning, Charles Woodson
2nd
Reggie Wayne
4th
Ronde Barber, Richard Seymour
6th
Alan Faneca
7th
Torry Holt
8th
Zach Thomas
9th
John Lynch
15th
Tony Boselli, LeRoy Butler
19th
Sam Mills
20th
Clay Matthews Jr.
TIMES AS FINALIST
Player
Times
Years
Jared Allen
1
2021
Ronde Barber
1
2021
Tony Boselli
5
2017-2021
Leroy Butler
2
2020-21
Alan Faneca
6
2016-2021
Torry Holt
2
2020-21
Calvin Johnson
1
2021
John Lynch
8
2014-2021
Peyton Manning
1
2021
Clay Matthews Jr.
1
2021
Sam Mills
2
2020-21
Richard Seymour
3
2019-2021
Zach Thomas
2
2020-21
Reggie Wayne
2
2020-21
Charles Woodson
1
2021
-
All I can say is after the much improved season the Browns had, what other way to finish this season by selecting a long time player into the H.O.F. with Clay Matthews.
-
what time are the announcements?
I guess during the TV show set for tonight.
How to watch
Show: 2021 NFL Honors
Date: Saturday, Feb. 6
Time: 9 p.m. ET
Location: Virtual
TV: CBS
Stream: CBS All Access -
Clay gets fucked over:
The rolling announcement of inductees takes place over a two-hour window. Below are the names of the Class of 2021, added here as they are announced at NFL Honors on CBS:
Charles Woodson, Calvin Johnson, Drew Pearson, Alan Faneca, Bill Nunn, John Lynch, Tom Flores, and Peyton Manning. .
And while I don't have a problem with who has been put on...I personally think Woodson could have waited a couple of years to let Clay in there, who was every bit the impact player.
-
imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..
-
imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..
imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..
Both marginal inductees, IMHO.
-
imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..
Both marginal inductees, IMHO.
-
imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..
imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..
Seriously, is there some kind of rule that says a Steeler has to get in the HOF every damn year?
-
Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised.
I mean, was Clay Matthews ever a great player? A player that other teams feared? (I'm seriously asking, because while he was on the teams I grew up with, I don't recall him being considered a great player, and maybe my memory of him is hazy).
He kind of strikes me as a "compiler". A guy who has really good career stats because he played forever, but never really was a great player. A good, above average starting caliber player who played forever. If I'm wrong, feel free to show why, because as I said, my memory of him is hazy.
I just remember often people talking about how "if the Browns had kept Chip Banks or if Don Rogers hadn't died they would have had a much better chance vs Elway", which is kind of weird to hear if the Browns still had a Hall of Fame OLB on the team during that whole run in Clay Matthews.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
