Skip to content

Clay Matthew HOF Finalist!

The Browns Board
58 15 2.2k 1
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Unlike past years where  the voters gather before the day of the Super Bowl to select those to go into the HOF,  this time the voting was apparently done virtually....and was already conducted, even though the results are not to be officially released until the day before the Super Bowl.

    One of the Finalists apparently has already gotten the word somehow that he did not make it:  Leroy Butler:

    https://sports.yahoo.com/leroy-butler-indicates-did-not-154626932.html

    Which means possibly one less player that Clay Matthews is up against.    (though, I personally am not optimistic)

  • BrownsfaninPaB BrownsfaninPa wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Well fellow Browns fans, tomorrow we will know if the long time linebacker will be inducted into the H.O.F. He should be inducted. He happens to be me my all time favorite player on the Browns. And i'm sorry but Tony Boselli doesn't belong on this list. He didn't play long enough. So if Tony Boselli gets in and Clay Mathews doesn't, oh hell, im going to call the election board a bunch of frauds.

  • Well fellow Browns fans, tomorrow we will know if the long time linebacker will be inducted into the H.O.F. He should be inducted. He happens to be me my all time favorite player on the Browns. And i'm sorry but Tony Boselli doesn't belong on this list. He didn't play long enough. So if Tony Boselli gets in and Clay Mathews doesn't, oh hell, im going to call the election board a bunch of frauds.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @brownsfaninpa said:

    Well fellow Browns fans, tomorrow we will know if the long time linebacker will be inducted into the H.O.F. He should be inducted. He happens to be me my all time favorite player on the Browns. And i'm sorry but Tony Boselli doesn't belong on this list. He didn't play long enough. So if Tony Boselli gets in and Clay Mathews doesn't, oh hell, im going to call the election board a bunch of frauds.

    My fave all time also... It would be a travesty.. It would border on Pete Rose stupidity...

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Here is some info.   This is  Clay's 20th year of eligibility...and I believe it is the Final year he will be eligible.

    But it is the very first time he has been a Finalist:   Voting is tomorrow.

    Year of Eligibility

    Finalist

    1st

    Jared Allen, Calvin Johnson, Peyton Manning, Charles Woodson

    2nd

    Reggie Wayne

    4th

    Ronde Barber, Richard Seymour

    6th

    Alan Faneca

    7th

    Torry Holt

    8th

    Zach Thomas

    9th

    John Lynch

    15th

    Tony Boselli, LeRoy Butler

    19th

    Sam Mills

    20th

    Clay Matthews Jr.

    TIMES AS FINALIST

    Player

    Times

    Years

    Jared Allen

    1

    2021

    Ronde Barber

    1

    2021

    Tony Boselli

    5

    2017-2021

    Leroy Butler

    2

    2020-21

    Alan Faneca

    6

    2016-2021

    Torry Holt

    2

    2020-21

    Calvin Johnson

    1

    2021

    John Lynch

    8

    2014-2021

    Peyton Manning

    1

    2021

    Clay Matthews Jr.

    1

    2021

    Sam Mills

    2

    2020-21

    Richard Seymour

    3

    2019-2021

    Zach Thomas

    2

    2020-21

    Reggie Wayne

    2

    2020-21

    Charles Woodson

    1

    2021

     
  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Barber, Boselli, Woodson and Manning are no brainers in my mind..

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    Stop the HOF fuckery factory ... Put Clay Matthews jr. in !!  22e5038b1ff203168fdd20776fa2b7f5.jpg

    Charles Woodson/ Calvin Johnson/ Peyton Manning... and Clay makes 4... Good Luck #57

  • BrownsfaninPaB BrownsfaninPa wrote on last edited by
    #30

    All I can say is after the much improved season the Browns had, what other way to finish this season by selecting a long time player into the H.O.F. with Clay Matthews.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #31

    what time are the announcements?

  • what time are the announcements?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @nickers said:

    what time are the announcements?

    I guess during the TV show set for tonight. 

    How to watch

    Show: 2021 NFL Honors
    Date: Saturday, Feb. 6
    Time: 9 p.m. ET
    Location: Virtual
    TV: CBS
    Stream: CBS All Access

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #33

    Clay gets fucked over:

    The rolling announcement of inductees takes place over a two-hour window. Below are the names of the Class of 2021, added here as they are announced at NFL Honors on CBS:

    Charles Woodson, Calvin Johnson, Drew Pearson, Alan Faneca, Bill Nunn, John Lynch, Tom Flores, and Peyton Manning. .

     And while I don't have a problem with who has been put on...I personally think Woodson could have waited a couple of years to let Clay in there, who was every bit the impact player. 

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

  • imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @gumby73 said:

    imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

    Both marginal inductees, IMHO.  

  • @gumby73 said:

    imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

    Both marginal inductees, IMHO.  

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @hoorta said:

    Both marginal inductees, IMHO.  

    Lynch is not marginal in my biased opinion. Long overdue.?

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Jesus christ the fuckery continues...

  • imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @gumby73 said:

    imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

    Seriously, is there some kind of rule that says a Steeler has to get in the HOF every damn year?

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #39

    Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. 

    I mean, was Clay Matthews ever a great player? A player that other teams feared? (I'm seriously asking, because while he was on the teams I grew up with, I don't recall him being considered a great player, and maybe my memory of him is hazy).

    He kind of strikes me as a "compiler". A guy who has really good career stats because he played forever, but never really was a great player. A good, above average starting caliber player who played forever. If I'm wrong, feel free to show why, because as I said, my memory of him is hazy. 

    I just remember often people talking about how "if the Browns had kept Chip Banks or if Don Rogers hadn't died they would have had a much better chance vs Elway", which is kind of weird to hear if the Browns still had a Hall of Fame OLB on the team during that whole run in Clay Matthews. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #40

    And if Drew Pearson can get into the Hall of Fame with 489 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 48 career touchdowns, then how about Gary Collins? He had 331 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 70 career touchdowns, playing in an era less known for passing than Pearson. Also, Collins was a good punter. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Both marginal inductees, IMHO.  

    Lynch is not marginal in my biased opinion. Long overdue.?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @texasag1969 said:

    Lynch is not marginal in my biased opinion. Long overdue.?

    I agree with this.  And I believe Faneca deserved to be in.  He had waited some time.  Both of these guys had waited.   It is why I said that I think Woodson should wait.....acknowledging that he would go in at some point in a year or two.    But, they decided to leave off  a deserving person in his last chance. 

  • Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. 

    I mean, was Clay Matthews ever a great player? A player that other teams feared? (I'm seriously asking, because while he was on the teams I grew up with, I don't recall him being considered a great player, and maybe my memory of him is hazy).

    He kind of strikes me as a "compiler". A guy who has really good career stats because he played forever, but never really was a great player. A good, above average starting caliber player who played forever. If I'm wrong, feel free to show why, because as I said, my memory of him is hazy. 

    I just remember often people talking about how "if the Browns had kept Chip Banks or if Don Rogers hadn't died they would have had a much better chance vs Elway", which is kind of weird to hear if the Browns still had a Hall of Fame OLB on the team during that whole run in Clay Matthews. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #42

    @dutch-oven said:

    Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. 

    I mean, was Clay Matthews ever a great player? A player that other teams feared? (I'm seriously asking, because while he was on the teams I grew up with, I don't recall him being considered a great player, and maybe my memory of him is hazy).

    He kind of strikes me as a "compiler". A guy who has really good career stats because he played forever, but never really was a great player. A good, above average starting caliber player who played forever. If I'm wrong, feel free to show why, because as I said, my memory of him is hazy. 

    I just remember often people talking about how "if the Browns had kept Chip Banks or if Don Rogers hadn't died they would have had a much better chance vs Elway", which is kind of weird to hear if the Browns still had a Hall of Fame OLB on the team during that whole run in Clay Matthews. 

    Maybe Dutch  only remembers the flashy guys.  Because Clay may not have been a flashy guy, but he was a very solid, top level guy.  Maybe if he had grown his hair out long like his son he may have impressed more people.  

    And another clue:  Often times "compilers" DO get into the HOF, even if that is all you thought of him.

    On the other topic:  the fact is, the more good players you have on your team, the better that team is you would hope.  So, yes, if Don Rogers had lived...and lived up to what we thought he could be, they very well may have had a better chance against Elway.  All we needed was 1 or 2 passes broken up. 

  • And if Drew Pearson can get into the Hall of Fame with 489 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 48 career touchdowns, then how about Gary Collins? He had 331 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 70 career touchdowns, playing in an era less known for passing than Pearson. Also, Collins was a good punter. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #43

    @dutch-oven said:

    And if Drew Pearson can get into the Hall of Fame with 489 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 48 career touchdowns, then how about Gary Collins? He had 331 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 70 career touchdowns, playing in an era less known for passing than Pearson. Also, Collins was a good punter. 

    These are good points.   Also compare  Collins numbers to Lynn Swann.  (they are as good or better).   Swann is only in over Collins because his team had those 4 titles. 

    Many may think that because he was Paul Warfield's running mate for years that he does not warrant inclusion. 

    As for other former Browns who are not in but should be,   Dick Shafrath may have the best case:  5 time All Pro.    All Decade team for the 60s.