Skip to content

Clay Matthew HOF Finalist!

The Browns Board
58 15 2.2k 1
  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #31

    what time are the announcements?

  • what time are the announcements?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @nickers said:

    what time are the announcements?

    I guess during the TV show set for tonight. 

    How to watch

    Show: 2021 NFL Honors
    Date: Saturday, Feb. 6
    Time: 9 p.m. ET
    Location: Virtual
    TV: CBS
    Stream: CBS All Access

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #33

    Clay gets fucked over:

    The rolling announcement of inductees takes place over a two-hour window. Below are the names of the Class of 2021, added here as they are announced at NFL Honors on CBS:

    Charles Woodson, Calvin Johnson, Drew Pearson, Alan Faneca, Bill Nunn, John Lynch, Tom Flores, and Peyton Manning. .

     And while I don't have a problem with who has been put on...I personally think Woodson could have waited a couple of years to let Clay in there, who was every bit the impact player. 

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

  • imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @gumby73 said:

    imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

    Both marginal inductees, IMHO.  

  • @gumby73 said:

    imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

    Both marginal inductees, IMHO.  

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @hoorta said:

    Both marginal inductees, IMHO.  

    Lynch is not marginal in my biased opinion. Long overdue.?

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Jesus christ the fuckery continues...

  • imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @gumby73 said:

    imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

    Seriously, is there some kind of rule that says a Steeler has to get in the HOF every damn year?

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #39

    Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. 

    I mean, was Clay Matthews ever a great player? A player that other teams feared? (I'm seriously asking, because while he was on the teams I grew up with, I don't recall him being considered a great player, and maybe my memory of him is hazy).

    He kind of strikes me as a "compiler". A guy who has really good career stats because he played forever, but never really was a great player. A good, above average starting caliber player who played forever. If I'm wrong, feel free to show why, because as I said, my memory of him is hazy. 

    I just remember often people talking about how "if the Browns had kept Chip Banks or if Don Rogers hadn't died they would have had a much better chance vs Elway", which is kind of weird to hear if the Browns still had a Hall of Fame OLB on the team during that whole run in Clay Matthews. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #40

    And if Drew Pearson can get into the Hall of Fame with 489 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 48 career touchdowns, then how about Gary Collins? He had 331 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 70 career touchdowns, playing in an era less known for passing than Pearson. Also, Collins was a good punter. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Both marginal inductees, IMHO.  

    Lynch is not marginal in my biased opinion. Long overdue.?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @texasag1969 said:

    Lynch is not marginal in my biased opinion. Long overdue.?

    I agree with this.  And I believe Faneca deserved to be in.  He had waited some time.  Both of these guys had waited.   It is why I said that I think Woodson should wait.....acknowledging that he would go in at some point in a year or two.    But, they decided to leave off  a deserving person in his last chance. 

  • Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. 

    I mean, was Clay Matthews ever a great player? A player that other teams feared? (I'm seriously asking, because while he was on the teams I grew up with, I don't recall him being considered a great player, and maybe my memory of him is hazy).

    He kind of strikes me as a "compiler". A guy who has really good career stats because he played forever, but never really was a great player. A good, above average starting caliber player who played forever. If I'm wrong, feel free to show why, because as I said, my memory of him is hazy. 

    I just remember often people talking about how "if the Browns had kept Chip Banks or if Don Rogers hadn't died they would have had a much better chance vs Elway", which is kind of weird to hear if the Browns still had a Hall of Fame OLB on the team during that whole run in Clay Matthews. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #42

    @dutch-oven said:

    Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. 

    I mean, was Clay Matthews ever a great player? A player that other teams feared? (I'm seriously asking, because while he was on the teams I grew up with, I don't recall him being considered a great player, and maybe my memory of him is hazy).

    He kind of strikes me as a "compiler". A guy who has really good career stats because he played forever, but never really was a great player. A good, above average starting caliber player who played forever. If I'm wrong, feel free to show why, because as I said, my memory of him is hazy. 

    I just remember often people talking about how "if the Browns had kept Chip Banks or if Don Rogers hadn't died they would have had a much better chance vs Elway", which is kind of weird to hear if the Browns still had a Hall of Fame OLB on the team during that whole run in Clay Matthews. 

    Maybe Dutch  only remembers the flashy guys.  Because Clay may not have been a flashy guy, but he was a very solid, top level guy.  Maybe if he had grown his hair out long like his son he may have impressed more people.  

    And another clue:  Often times "compilers" DO get into the HOF, even if that is all you thought of him.

    On the other topic:  the fact is, the more good players you have on your team, the better that team is you would hope.  So, yes, if Don Rogers had lived...and lived up to what we thought he could be, they very well may have had a better chance against Elway.  All we needed was 1 or 2 passes broken up. 

  • And if Drew Pearson can get into the Hall of Fame with 489 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 48 career touchdowns, then how about Gary Collins? He had 331 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 70 career touchdowns, playing in an era less known for passing than Pearson. Also, Collins was a good punter. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #43

    @dutch-oven said:

    And if Drew Pearson can get into the Hall of Fame with 489 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 48 career touchdowns, then how about Gary Collins? He had 331 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 70 career touchdowns, playing in an era less known for passing than Pearson. Also, Collins was a good punter. 

    These are good points.   Also compare  Collins numbers to Lynn Swann.  (they are as good or better).   Swann is only in over Collins because his team had those 4 titles. 

    Many may think that because he was Paul Warfield's running mate for years that he does not warrant inclusion. 

    As for other former Browns who are not in but should be,   Dick Shafrath may have the best case:  5 time All Pro.    All Decade team for the 60s. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #44

    By one metric,   the following are the Ten guys  who are eligible  may be the most Hall of Fame worthy, but have not been elected:

    1. Jim Marshall   DL  Vikings

    2. Ken Anderson  QB  Bengals

    3. Jim Tyrer*   OT  Bears

    4. Eric Allen  DB Eagles/Raiders

    5. Lomas Brown    OT  Lions/Cards...1 year with Browns

    6. Mike Kenn  OL   Falcons

    7. Steve Wisniewski  OL  Raiders

    8. Reggie Wayne #   WR  Colts

    9. Ronde Barber#  DB  Bucs

    10. Ken Riley  DB Bengals

    # Wayne and Barber were finalists this year.

    * Tyrer would be considered one of the Top 5 best OL  in history....but for the fact that he committed a murder/suicide  of he and his wife just a few years after he retired from football, before he was HOF eligible.  (from Ohio State fyi)

    I don't think Jim Marshall is in because his Purple People Eater buddies  Carl Eller and Alan Page are already in, and they may not want to add another,  but he deserves it. Unless they are holding that wrong way run against him. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #45

    Well, think about this:   At least the PFHOF  put some people in.

    Just a week or so ago the Baseball HOF decided that not a single player would be good enough to get in.     You have to achieve  75%  to get elected:

    Hall of Fame voting results for class of 2021[6][7]
    Player Votes Percent Change Year
    Curt Schilling 285 71.1% Increase1.1% 9th
    Barry Bonds 248 61.8% Increase1.1% 9th
    Roger Clemens 247 61.6% Increase0.6% 9th
    Scott Rolen 212 52.9% Increase17.6% 4th
    Omar Vizquel 197 49.1% Decrease3.5% 4th
    Billy Wagner 186 46.4% Increase14.7% 6th
    Todd Helton 180 44.9% Increase15.7% 3rd
    Gary Sheffield 163 40.6% Increase10.1% 7th
    Andruw Jones 136 33.9% Increase14.5% 4th
    Jeff Kent 130 32.4% Increase4.9% 8th
    Manny Ramirez 113 28.2% 0.0% 5th
    Sammy Sosa 68 17.0% Increase3.1% 9th
    Andy Pettitte 55 13.7% Increase2.4% 3rd
    Mark Buehrledagger 44 11.0% – 1st
    Torii Hunterdagger 38 9.5% – 1st
    Bobby Abreu 35 8.7% Increase3.2% 2nd

    Next year will be telling...it is the final year on the ballot for  Bonds, Clemens, Schilling, Sosa.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    And if Drew Pearson can get into the Hall of Fame with 489 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 48 career touchdowns, then how about Gary Collins? He had 331 receptions, at 16.0 yards/reception and 70 career touchdowns, playing in an era less known for passing than Pearson. Also, Collins was a good punter. 

    These are good points.   Also compare  Collins numbers to Lynn Swann.  (they are as good or better).   Swann is only in over Collins because his team had those 4 titles. 

    Many may think that because he was Paul Warfield's running mate for years that he does not warrant inclusion. 

    As for other former Browns who are not in but should be,   Dick Shafrath may have the best case:  5 time All Pro.    All Decade team for the 60s. 

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @the-gipper said:

    As for other former Browns who are not in but should be,   Dick Shafrath may have the best case:  5 time All Pro.    All Decade team for the 60s. 

    Hanford Dixon as well. 

  • imho...the fuckery was in, when Alan Faneca than John Lynch were announced..  

    https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/clay-matthews-jr-2021-hall-of-fame/95-f75efb29-6eef-4b70-b9aa-7155d4f8b52f

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #47
  • Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. 

    I mean, was Clay Matthews ever a great player? A player that other teams feared? (I'm seriously asking, because while he was on the teams I grew up with, I don't recall him being considered a great player, and maybe my memory of him is hazy).

    He kind of strikes me as a "compiler". A guy who has really good career stats because he played forever, but never really was a great player. A good, above average starting caliber player who played forever. If I'm wrong, feel free to show why, because as I said, my memory of him is hazy. 

    I just remember often people talking about how "if the Browns had kept Chip Banks or if Don Rogers hadn't died they would have had a much better chance vs Elway", which is kind of weird to hear if the Browns still had a Hall of Fame OLB on the team during that whole run in Clay Matthews. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @dutch-oven said:

    Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. 

    I mean, was Clay Matthews ever a great player? A player that other teams feared? (I'm seriously asking, because while he was on the teams I grew up with, I don't recall him being considered a great player, and maybe my memory of him is hazy).

    He kind of strikes me as a "compiler". A guy who has really good career stats because he played forever, but never really was a great player. A good, above average starting caliber player who played forever. If I'm wrong, feel free to show why, because as I said, my memory of him is hazy. 

    I just remember often people talking about how "if the Browns had kept Chip Banks or if Don Rogers hadn't died they would have had a much better chance vs Elway", which is kind of weird to hear if the Browns still had a Hall of Fame OLB on the team during that whole run in Clay Matthews. 

    I've said it a ton of times. If Clay played for the Steelers- he'd have been in- long ago.  

  • Well, think about this:   At least the PFHOF  put some people in.

    Just a week or so ago the Baseball HOF decided that not a single player would be good enough to get in.     You have to achieve  75%  to get elected:

    Hall of Fame voting results for class of 2021[6][7]
    Player Votes Percent Change Year
    Curt Schilling 285 71.1% Increase1.1% 9th
    Barry Bonds 248 61.8% Increase1.1% 9th
    Roger Clemens 247 61.6% Increase0.6% 9th
    Scott Rolen 212 52.9% Increase17.6% 4th
    Omar Vizquel 197 49.1% Decrease3.5% 4th
    Billy Wagner 186 46.4% Increase14.7% 6th
    Todd Helton 180 44.9% Increase15.7% 3rd
    Gary Sheffield 163 40.6% Increase10.1% 7th
    Andruw Jones 136 33.9% Increase14.5% 4th
    Jeff Kent 130 32.4% Increase4.9% 8th
    Manny Ramirez 113 28.2% 0.0% 5th
    Sammy Sosa 68 17.0% Increase3.1% 9th
    Andy Pettitte 55 13.7% Increase2.4% 3rd
    Mark Buehrledagger 44 11.0% – 1st
    Torii Hunterdagger 38 9.5% – 1st
    Bobby Abreu 35 8.7% Increase3.2% 2nd

    Next year will be telling...it is the final year on the ballot for  Bonds, Clemens, Schilling, Sosa.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, think about this:   At least the PFHOF  put some people in.

    Just a week or so ago the Baseball HOF decided that not a single player would be good enough to get in.     You have to achieve  75%  to get elected:

    Hall of Fame voting results for class of 2021[6][7]
    Player Votes Percent Change Year
    Curt Schilling 285 71.1% Increase1.1% 9th
    Barry Bonds 248 61.8% Increase1.1% 9th
    Roger Clemens 247 61.6% Increase0.6% 9th
    Scott Rolen 212 52.9% Increase17.6% 4th
    Omar Vizquel 197 49.1% Decrease3.5% 4th
    Billy Wagner 186 46.4% Increase14.7% 6th
    Todd Helton 180 44.9% Increase15.7% 3rd
    Gary Sheffield 163 40.6% Increase10.1% 7th
    Andruw Jones 136 33.9% Increase14.5% 4th
    Jeff Kent 130 32.4% Increase4.9% 8th
    Manny Ramirez 113 28.2% 0.0% 5th
    Sammy Sosa 68 17.0% Increase3.1% 9th
    Andy Pettitte 55 13.7% Increase2.4% 3rd
    Mark Buehrledagger 44 11.0% – 1st
    Torii Hunterdagger 38 9.5% – 1st
    Bobby Abreu 35 8.7% Increase3.2% 2nd

    Next year will be telling...it is the final year on the ballot for  Bonds, Clemens, Schilling, Sosa.

    The juicer penalty Gipper- pretty plain.   

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, think about this:   At least the PFHOF  put some people in.

    Just a week or so ago the Baseball HOF decided that not a single player would be good enough to get in.     You have to achieve  75%  to get elected:

    Hall of Fame voting results for class of 2021[6][7]
    Player Votes Percent Change Year
    Curt Schilling 285 71.1% Increase1.1% 9th
    Barry Bonds 248 61.8% Increase1.1% 9th
    Roger Clemens 247 61.6% Increase0.6% 9th
    Scott Rolen 212 52.9% Increase17.6% 4th
    Omar Vizquel 197 49.1% Decrease3.5% 4th
    Billy Wagner 186 46.4% Increase14.7% 6th
    Todd Helton 180 44.9% Increase15.7% 3rd
    Gary Sheffield 163 40.6% Increase10.1% 7th
    Andruw Jones 136 33.9% Increase14.5% 4th
    Jeff Kent 130 32.4% Increase4.9% 8th
    Manny Ramirez 113 28.2% 0.0% 5th
    Sammy Sosa 68 17.0% Increase3.1% 9th
    Andy Pettitte 55 13.7% Increase2.4% 3rd
    Mark Buehrledagger 44 11.0% – 1st
    Torii Hunterdagger 38 9.5% – 1st
    Bobby Abreu 35 8.7% Increase3.2% 2nd

    Next year will be telling...it is the final year on the ballot for  Bonds, Clemens, Schilling, Sosa.

    The juicer penalty Gipper- pretty plain.   

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @hoorta said:

    The juicer penalty Gipper- pretty plain.   

    Right of course.  The question will be: will a lot of writers deem it punishment enough for Bonds and Clemens to have waited until their final year of being on the ballot before they let them in.  They had HOF careers and possibly first ballot careers before they started juicing.  Will they relent.