Skip to content

Evaluate the QBs

The Browns Board
89 41 7.8k
  • im beginning to think braylon did that shit on purpose, that looked eerily similiar to the pass Quinn gave him at the end of 07 which he also dropped, its no secret that B17 favors DA, you can tell by how he plays and his attitude towards both guys

  • Zombo said:

    I'm not writing "the kid" off ... I'm saying, "hey, Kid, ... Impress me!"

    If he's not as good as Big Gay Ben or Palmer, then we made a mistake, let's go back to the drawing board.

    Quinn is in his third NFL Season ... he needs to take over and never look back ... if he is not an absolute superstar, then he is a failure, let's go with the guy that can get us 10-29-3700, play some defense, and go back to the drafting board.

    Brady Quinn has one week to win the job, and one season to throw for 30 TDs and 3800 yards ... otherwise he is useless to the Cleveland Browns.

    Zombo

    DAMN man!! I know Giants fans are glad their coaches and organization didn't think like you when they were watching Eli struggle early. He didn't throw for 30 and 3800...(in fact he NEVER has) and look where they are now. A nice big fat shiny ring on their finger.

  • At the present time,

    Quinn is our man as #1 he will make some mistakes but he will improve. Overall he will give us an opportunity to win.

    note: Cribbs is NOT a Receiver! I love what Cribbs can do as an athlete but he cannot run routes!

    As for DA he should be demoted to 3rd string or less, I say cut him or trade him for a washing machine or something that will be useful to the team. DA has regressed, he has proven that he can not overcome a QB competition during his whole career.

  • Zombo said:

    Anderson has thrown for 29 and 3700. If Quinn can't throw for 30 and 3800, then he is useless to us.

    Either prove you are better than Anderson, or get the f*** out of the way ... you have one more week.

    Zombo

    LMAO... it's like talking to a wall.... 🙄

    What did "29 and 3700" get us? Did we make the playoffs? Didn't think so.

    I, and the more intelligent Browns fans, are more interested in "wins" and "playoffs" and "championships" than "30 and 3800".

  • Zombo said:

    let's go with the guy that can get us 10-29-3700, play some defense, and go back to the drafting board.

    Zombo

    After watching DA tonight, I'm not so sure he can/will ever be able to be that 10-29-3700 guy ever again...which really sucks. I loved that feeling I used to get watching DA - that we always had a chance to come back and win. I just don't get that feeling anymore. It's been replaced by - when is he going to self-destruct?

  • Quinn's numbers 7 of 11 with one int... Let's say Braylon catches the perfect pass that hit him in the hands... You do not need pass #11.. then Quinns numbers are 8 of 10 with an TD.... It's amazing what one dropped and one bobbled pass can do to your numbers. Quinn, while not great.. certainly played better than DA who should have had 2 int's... He looked terrible.. What was that deep duck into double coverage???? I could have thrown up that blind duck.. Round one goes to quinn on a decision...

    Overall. We looked terrible. Frayley was getting pushed around just like last year.. Mack.. I give a pass in his first nfl game.. Must improve. Run Defense STILL SUCKS.. pass rush..STILL nonexistent.... I know it's just preseason and the sky is not falling... But the hail stones loom large right now.

  • Zombo said:

    I am intelligent enough to realize that if you throw for 3700 and 29 and go 10-6 WITH THE 30TH RANKED DEFENSE IN THE NFL then I can win with you if I improve my f***ing defense.

    Brady is cute and all ... BUT WHEN WE ARE BETTER PHYSICALLY AND DEFENSIVELY THAN BALTIMORE AND PITTSBURGH WE WILL WIN THE AFC NORTH, AND NOT BEFORE.

    Otherwise, I am quite open on the quraterback positon ... wait, did I miss something ... did somebody do something tonight?

    Zombo

    --STEELERS 1st DEFENSE, RAVENS 2nd DEFENSE, BROWNS 30th DEFENSE ... let's fix the QB position, that'll show 'em!

    dude, tom brady diddnt even get to 29 and 3700 until 2007.....

  • Zombo said:

    We know what Anderson can do, Quinn has done nothing ... what am I missing?

    Zombo

    --Brady Quinn, we all love you, DO SOMETHING...

    0 yards

    3 and out

    0 completions

    1 interception

    Anderson looked awful. Quinn looked much better. That is what you missed.

  • Zombo said:

    Either prove you are better than Anderson, or get the f*** out of the way ... you have one more week.

    Zombo[/b]

    He did

  • Quinn looked like a genuine pro moving the ball unlike DA he wasnt afforded the luxury of 2 back to back drives to get a rythm going but got a rythm anyways..DA looked like genuine shit and made yet another lame excuse for his bad decision.. im sure the staff has already amongst themselves determined the starter if they havent they need not be coaching because the the class difference between round 1 and round 6 was quite visible on and off the field..

    DQ fags and gentlemen we have an un-named starter!

    Its time to name BQ the starter and begin making full preparations for the season instead of wasting more valuable time evaluating a bad bet in DA..

  • http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-a-rough-night/

    Anderson has a rough night

    Posted by Mike Florio on August 15, 2009 10:25 PM ET

    Browns quarterback Derek Anderson didn't get the start on Saturday night, when Cleveland traveled to Lambeau Field.

    In hindsight, Anderson might wish he hadn't played at all.

    In two drives, Anderson threw two incomplete passes, one of which was intercepted.

    Then, with 1:50 on the clock before halftime, starter Brady Quinn returned.

    The only silver lining for Anderson is that Quinn threw an interception, too.

    ==============

    I'm wondering if rhythm passer DA is going to have trouble with this method of a QB competition. A series in and a series out makes it difficult to get in the groove.

  • quinn hands down. definitely the more cerebral QB.....and we're gonna need that.

  • http://www.blitzcorner.com/NFL/Browns-QB-B...Round-1-Results

    Round 1 of Browns' Quarterback Fight Goes to Brady Quinn

    Posted Aug 15, 2009 11:59PM By Chris Burke (RSS feed)

    If Cleveland's Brady Quinn-Derek Anderson quarterback battle was Mike Tyson's Punch Out, then Anderson played the role of Glass Joe on Saturday night in Green Bay. If it was a horror film, Anderson was the sexually precocious teenagers that run off into the woods, then die. If it was Simon and Garfunkel, Anderson was Garfunkel.

    OK, this thing's falling apart. Long story short, Anderson stunk.

    Anderson quarterbacked two possessions against the Packers, finishing 0-of-2 passing with one interception and a near-interception. Quinn wasn't sensational -- 7-of-11 for 68 yards and a pick -- but next to Anderson, he looked like Johnny Unitas.

    It was bad enough that, after Tramon Williams intercepted an Anderson pass midway through the second quarter, Cleveland coach Eric Mangini reinserted Quinn into the lineup just before halftime -- almost an unheard of preseason move.

    This thing's far from over, of course. One decent performance from Quinn isn't going to be enough for him to definitively claim the Browns' starting job.

    But let's be honest about this: if either of the pair needs to go out and win the spot, as opposed to simply not losing it, it's Anderson.

    Quinn's in the third year of a five-year rookie contract. The Browns drafted him as their future franchise QB, and have since opted not to trade him, despite multiple reported opportunities. They're not keeping a promising 24-year-old quarterback around just to sit him on the bench.

    Placing Quinn second on the depth chart, though, becomes much more reasonable if Anderson shows he's the guy Cleveland saw in 2007. Anderson threw for 3,787 yards that season with a 29-19 touchdown-to-interception ratio and went to the Pro Bowl. Last year, in 10 games, he had 2,000 less yards and 20 less touchdowns.

    On Saturday in Green Bay, Anderson didn't look much like a Pro Bowler. He looked like Garfunkel -- and that's not another crazy analogy; he looked like how I would imagine Art Garfunkel would look playing quarterback in the NFL.

    That's not going to be good enough to win the starter's role.

  • Zombo's posting in a thread analying QB play from a particular game he didn't see?

    Smart. Real Smart.

    Go to a friend's house, watch the game on a TIVO replay, then come back and post with the big boys.

    Seriously, I get your point on the QB's. However, the QB that you pine for that threw 29 TD's and 3,700 yards went 0 and 0 on those two stats respectively. Oh, but he did have a "1" in the INT column. DA looked pretty darn bad. Matter of fact, we haven't seen that guy but for one game in the past year and a half to 2 years. Might want to move on.

    Quinn looked efficient. If our starting center doesn't hold on a FG attempt and our all pro WR catches a routine pass, Quinn would have put 10 points on the board.

    All that said, the OL and defense looked pretty crappy so worrying about who starts at QB is probably the least of our concern.

  • Zombo said:

    Quinn is in his third NFL Season ... he needs to take over and never look back ...

    You are right, Zombo.

    Simply stated, Quinn is in a position where he needs to be 'prime time player'. The fact that the Browns still have a QB 'controversy' is sickening.

    This is year #3 for Quinn. His apprenticeship is over. No more excuses.

    If he doesn't leave Anderson in the dust then, even his strong supporters, need to take notice.

    Disclaimer: I want him to succeed. Just that he has to DO SOMETHING. When I saw the score this AM, I assumed that Anderson started and played the bulk of the game. When I noticed that DA was the 3rd QB and noticed that Quinn averaged just over 6 yards a completion, a sick feeling came over me.

    Leave the excuses at the door. Stand and deliver. Otherwise, BQ needs a change of scenery.

  • Zombo said:

    We know what Anderson can do, Quinn has done nothing ... what am I missing?

    Zombo

    --Brady Quinn, we all love you, DO SOMETHING...

    0 yards

    3 and out

    0 completions

    1 interception

    Anderson looked awful. Quinn looked much better. That is what you missed.

    @fan-of-steel-1 said:

    Anderson looked awful. Quinn looked much better. That is what you missed.

    Who was it that said, "When you have two QBs, you have no QBs".

    Being better than DA's putrid performance isn't going to do it for me.

    From the raw numbers, the other QB played as well as, or better than, BQ.

    Maybe, just maybe, Mangini will start the QB he knows best. Wouldn't that speak volumes???

  • Your a chump zombo

    Your poor fatass can't even afford cable TV.

    LOL, Jesus, even the steeler fans on this board rank above you man. I am sick of brown fan posers posting on this site.

    I will paypal 50$ to have Zombo and LUmbergh banned. Dead serious. PM me for paypal.

  • Zombo said:

    I didn't watch the game, Zombo

    --Not trying to be a dick .. ...

    You aren't - you admitted you didn't see the game. Believe it or not I AGREE that Quinn needs to outplay DA by alot especially if I'm constantly talking about how easy that should be. That said, don't you think it's about time the guy with 27 starts to his name shows you an ounce of evidence he's progressed and learned from it all? 31 NFL Executives say he hasn't and so does a considerable amount of our fanbase.

    I watched the game like everyone else voting for Quinn in this thread. I would say from the standpoint of MOVING the team - he vastly outplayed Dumb Ass. I'll get to the rest when I rip DA for looking like a wide eyed rookie that hasn't learnign 1 FLOCKING thing. He took the first drive down to the GB 11. Dawson would miss the field goal. Then he later drove us inside the 15 and launched a perfect strike between the 1 and the 7 on Braylon's chest in the end zone. You have the RIGHT receiver there and it's 7 points. WHERE have I heard this many times? From the DA fans so they should be the first ones to understand. The BIGGEST difference here is there was a perfect strike in the end zone before the INT. I won't use their gay double standard though - you CANNOT throw an INT there if you want to be a franchise QB. It's why we all want anything but DA.

    I think the 2nd best QB I saw last night was Ratliff inspite of the 2 INTs. He moved us at times and I think he's smart enough to learn from his mistakes. One of his INTs went through the TE's hands first. It was a little high but I don't think it was uncatchable for many TEs in this league. Obviously, he needs a lot of work. That said, he got the inexperienced receivers which can make the QB look bad when these guys turn the wrong way, make an incorrect adjustment or whatever.

    DA was a mess from mechanics to footwork to poise to pocket presence to accuracy to reads to leadership. You freakin name it. I REALLY appreciated the sky hook he added to his game. Maybe he was just throwing his boyfriend Loverboy a kiss. Look, I'm usually a HOMER that wants to see EVERY guy we're counting on emerging as successful. Those of you that saw this game, should really start contemplating who would make the best #2 QB.

    In a perfect Utopian world it would be wonderful if we could just give him timing patterns to certain areas of the field. That's his strength. Reality? We play in a division with heated pass rushes so this isn't his Utopia.

    - Tom F. (My how things change when that red no-contact jersey comes off the QB)

  • It seems as quite a few bevvies were consumed before, during and after this thread.

    I can't beleive you folks are still arguing over this"competition"

    Quinn showed all he needed to. DA and BE look as if someone hit the rewind button from last season and played it back last night.

    I'll assume Mangini's scoring plays are top secret and he's waiting for regular season to display his works of wonder.

  • Zombo said:

    I didn't watch the game, but I see where we scored zero points.

    So Pro Bowler Anderson obviously still has the advantage.

    He has accomplished something, whereas Quinn, in year three, still has done nothing...

    Zombo

    --Not trying to be a dick .. but if Quinn doesn't take "the bull by the horns" ... let's go with the guy that we KNOW can win 10, hit 29 and throw for 3,7000...

    Pro Bowler DA who couldn't move the #1s against GB's #2.........

    Quinn had two nice drives in his 2 posessions. The first stalled out near the red zone because Cribbs read the coverage wrong on 3rd down. A FG was kicked and good, but Fraley held and then the 2nd attempt was missed. That was 1s against 1s

    With a 1:50 to go Quinn marched the team right down the field into scoring position, BE dropped a TD and next down Quinn made a mistake by doing that little jump throw, which cost him power on the throw, resulting in the DB cutting under and picking. That was mostly 1s against 2s.