Skip to content

Don't jump BE

The Browns Board
17 8 1.4k
  • Fair enough. When I went back & checked on the DVR, the ball did appear to be at his face mask. But he probably should have just reached up instead of jumping for it. And he did the right thing in taking full responsibility for the drop.

  • What caught my attention right away is where the ball was on his body when he dropped it: torso.

    He does that all the time and drops a lot of balls in that position. Should never be in the air to receive a pass that is going to his your chest/stomach. Indicates a poorly timed jump or a bad decision altogether.

  • I think he had to jump. To me, the ball looked to be at his face mask, not shoulder level. And because the defensive back leapt for the ball, I can see why his first instinct was to jump for it as well.

    Still should have caught it, though.

    Aloysius said:

    I think he had to jump. To me, the ball looked to be at his face mask, not shoulder level. And because the defensive back leapt for the ball, I can see why his first instinct was to jump for it as well.

    Still should have caught it, though.

    He's starting to make me think someone has worse stonehands than Michael Jackson. What HAPPENED to this kid?

    Another thing I've noticed with our receivers the last 2 years is they're often watching DBs close in on some catchable passes. Meaning? They aren't doing the SAME thing.

    It's not always just the jump balls folks - your elite DBs in this country are on NFL teams because they possess this closing skill. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen receivers slowing up as they've witnessed DBs attempting to close on the ball. This is an innate reflex that needs to be worked out in practice IMO. I think this is correctable if we have the right coaches.

    I need a second look at the INT in the end zone because I prolly had a few too many cold depressants in me. I thought I saw a decent pass leading the receiver who allowed the DB to close on the football. The difference? I don't know if the receiver was unaware of the DB or the DB was just more aggressive.

    - Tom F.

  • I think he had to jump. To me, the ball looked to be at his face mask, not shoulder level. And because the defensive back leapt for the ball, I can see why his first instinct was to jump for it as well.

    Still should have caught it, though.

    Aloysius said:

    I think he had to jump. To me, the ball looked to be at his face mask, not shoulder level. And because the defensive back leapt for the ball, I can see why his first instinct was to jump for it as well.

    Still should have caught it, though.

    WRONG. He did not have to jump and make "The Play". I have seen that play 100 times with Moss, TO or Steve Smith. They would of kept their f'cking feet on the ground and worried about the ball and not where I am going to land. What a f'cking pussy.

  • Aloysius said:

    I think he had to jump. To me, the ball looked to be at his face mask, not shoulder level. And because the defensive back leapt for the ball, I can see why his first instinct was to jump for it as well.

    Still should have caught it, though.

    He's starting to make me think someone has worse stonehands than Michael Jackson. What HAPPENED to this kid?

    Another thing I've noticed with our receivers the last 2 years is they're often watching DBs close in on some catchable passes. Meaning? They aren't doing the SAME thing.

    It's not always just the jump balls folks - your elite DBs in this country are on NFL teams because they possess this closing skill. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen receivers slowing up as they've witnessed DBs attempting to close on the ball. This is an innate reflex that needs to be worked out in practice IMO. I think this is correctable if we have the right coaches.

    I need a second look at the INT in the end zone because I prolly had a few too many cold depressants in me. I thought I saw a decent pass leading the receiver who allowed the DB to close on the football. The difference? I don't know if the receiver was unaware of the DB or the DB was just more aggressive.

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    What HAPPENED to this kid?

    - Tom F.

    Par for the course. We should have asked what happened to him when he caught 16 TDs a few years ago. That was the anomaly.

    @flugel said:

    I need a second look at the INT in the end zone...

    - Tom F.

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...uinn-highlights

    1:48 of the video

    -Al

  • @flugel said:

    What HAPPENED to this kid?

    - Tom F.

    Par for the course. We should have asked what happened to him when he caught 16 TDs a few years ago. That was the anomaly.

    @flugel said:

    I need a second look at the INT in the end zone...

    - Tom F.

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...uinn-highlights

    1:48 of the video

    -Al

    @geech said:

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...uinn-highlights

    1:48 of the video

    Looking at it again, I think BQ needed to put the ball more in front of BE. Just a little too far behind and that cost the INT. Nice for BQ to man up to his mistake. Too bad DA didn't do the same on his floater.

  • @geech said:

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...uinn-highlights

    1:48 of the video

    Looking at it again, I think BQ needed to put the ball more in front of BE. Just a little too far behind and that cost the INT. Nice for BQ to man up to his mistake. Too bad DA didn't do the same on his floater.

    @kosar_win said:

    Looking at it again, I think BQ needed to put the ball more in front of BE. Just a little too far behind and that cost the INT. Nice for BQ to man up to his mistake. Too bad DA didn't do the same on his floater.

    WHAT? It's Quinn's fault. Dude come on. BE is in the NFL. The great James Lofton always said "You touch it with one hand in the NFL, you catch it". BE had TWO hands on it.

  • @kosar_win said:

    Looking at it again, I think BQ needed to put the ball more in front of BE. Just a little too far behind and that cost the INT. Nice for BQ to man up to his mistake. Too bad DA didn't do the same on his floater.

    WHAT? It's Quinn's fault. Dude come on. BE is in the NFL. The great James Lofton always said "You touch it with one hand in the NFL, you catch it". BE had TWO hands on it.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    WHAT? It's Quinn's fault. Dude come on. BE is in the NFL. The great James Lofton always said "You touch it with one hand in the NFL, you catch it". BE had TWO hands on it.

    We're talking about the INT, not the drop. You're right about the drop. He should have caught that one, but the INT was thrown a bit behind BE.

    -Al

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    WHAT? It's Quinn's fault. Dude come on. BE is in the NFL. The great James Lofton always said "You touch it with one hand in the NFL, you catch it". BE had TWO hands on it.

    We're talking about the INT, not the drop. You're right about the drop. He should have caught that one, but the INT was thrown a bit behind BE.

    -Al

    @geech said:

    We're talking about the INT, not the drop. You're right about the drop. He should have caught that one, but the INT was thrown a bit behind BE.

    -Al

    Oh, sorry man. Yea he did force the pick and threw it behind him.

  • @jadbf said:

    Says "video no longer availabile"

    Hmmm, still works for me.

    Try going to NFL.com. There is a list of six videos with thumbnails right there on the homepage. Last thumbnail in the list is titled "Brady Quinn Highlights."

    -Al

  • @jadbf said:

    Actually watching from the camera behind Quinn, I don't think that he should have ever attempted that second throw. That's all on Quinn.

    Still looks to me like with a good throw (meaning planting his feet and getting behind the throw, rather than jump/hop throw), he could thread that in there to the receivers hands. It was man coverage after all.

  • @jadbf said:

    Actually watching from the camera behind Quinn, I don't think that he should have ever attempted that second throw. That's all on Quinn.

    Still looks to me like with a good throw (meaning planting his feet and getting behind the throw, rather than jump/hop throw), he could thread that in there to the receivers hands. It was man coverage after all.

    Masters said:

    Still looks to me like with a good throw (meaning planting his feet and getting behind the throw, rather than jump/hop throw), he could thread that in there to the receivers hands. It was man coverage after all.

    I agree. He had that nice pass to Furrey on the slant and could have made the TD if it had been an accurate throw.

    -Al