Skip to content

***DIVISIONAL ROUND: Browns AT Chiefs Gameday Thread***

The Browns Board
341 49 9.8k 1
  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I have to say i have never in my life seen the middle of the field open like we’ve had all year and just 4 guys after the passer. 
     

    anyone with me here? 
     

    our dc sucks......

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by

    @browns52 said:

    our dc sucks......

    Not saying he is great, but he was severely hamstrung this year. Brand new, not a lot of prep time because of covid, and then add on the injuries/covid, and even then those guys just might not be starting caliber guys.

    Sure, the Chiefs probably score over 30 with Mahomes, but they are the defending Champs and I think are still the favorite to repeat. You don't think that Woods and his gameplan had a thing to do with that? Especially when considering that there are 2 positions on the D that aren't looked at as major needs? Garrett and Ward.

    There is nobody individually in the league that can hold Hill, the closest would be Ramsey. But if you double him, they also have the best TE in the league. They are a GREAT offense of talent and a great mind at HC and OC. How Bieniemy doesn't have a HC job is crazy.

    Running a zone defense is what you do predominantly when you are overmatched. And don't forget, that even if he isn't brought back (I wouldn't with his price tag and having other guys to prioritize resigning and extensions) that Vernon was playing a big part, especially when you factor in Myles just wasn't the same guy after Covid. 

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Goodbye Joe Woods. Not sorry to see you go. 

    This needs movement.  Somewhat unpopular opinion around here though. 

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by

    @sdbacker80 said:

    This needs movement.  Somewhat unpopular opinion around here though. 

    It's funny because he does some good things but he chokes too often in critical scenarios. I can't get over the 4th down numbers, the 3rd and 10 against McSorely, and the 3rd and longs with Henne. I'm not sure he has what it takes. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    This needs movement.  Somewhat unpopular opinion around here though. 

    It's funny because he does some good things but he chokes too often in critical scenarios. I can't get over the 4th down numbers, the 3rd and 10 against McSorely, and the 3rd and longs with Henne. I'm not sure he has what it takes. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @jiggins7919 said:

    It's funny because he does some good things but he chokes too often in critical scenarios. I can't get over the 4th down numbers, the 3rd and 10 against McSorely, and the 3rd and longs with Henne. I'm not sure he has what it takes. 

    Teams were 27 for 32 on 4th down this year against the Browns...that’s bad. 

    and I saw Lots of finger pointing on blown coverages all year.  
     

  • VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by

    So apparently mahomes doesn't have a concussion, a surgeon who also covers the steelers tweeted today that his uneasiness could be attributed to a vasogal response and his blood pressure dropped.  The chiefs are saying pinched nerve.  I was hoping to watch them flounder with Henne under center. 

  • VamboV Vambo wrote on last edited by

    Browns' Myles Garrett denies teammates were 'headhunting' amid Patrick Mahomes injury

    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/browns-myles-garrett-denies-teammates-headhunting-patrick-mahomes-injury

    Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce made the claim after the win, telling reporters he heard Browns players yelling, "That’s what we do. That’s what we do."

    Sam McDowell@SamMcDowell11
    Travis Kelce said after the initial hit on Mahomes, Browns players were yelling, "That's what we do. That's what we do."

    "I want to say that nobody on our team is headhunting, going after guys or trying to hurt a guy, no matter how good he is," Garrett said, via 92.3 The Fan. "We are praying for [Mahomes’] recovery and praying for his success. He has always been a quality guy and the way he does stuff for the community. He is a leader on and off the field that you appreciate seeing, especially from a guy of that caliber and just always trying to be a positive force everywhere he goes."

  • F FALCON7 wrote on last edited by

    What if Chiefs punted on 4th down?  Browns have around 1 minute and no T'O's to go 80 to maybe 98 yards. Chances of scoring a td are what?  Maybe 5% at best...  

  • What if Chiefs punted on 4th down?  Browns have around 1 minute and no T'O's to go 80 to maybe 98 yards. Chances of scoring a td are what?  Maybe 5% at best...  

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @falcon7 said:

    What if Chiefs punted on 4th down?  Browns have around 1 minute and no T'O's to go 80 to maybe 98 yards. Chances of scoring a td are what?  Maybe 5% at best...  

    There was actually almost 2 mins left.  And We saw some big chunk pass plays.  
     

    I’m going to say 20%-25%

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    The throw too. Talk about game of inches. He had to fully extend  to have a chance with his DB jacket on. I think the ball grazed the defender’s hand or came really really close. 
     

    Some props to Njoku too who seemed to play the part of TE 1 today.

    For sure! I have never been so happy to be so wrong regarding Baker. He's our dude for the next 7-10 years and he is good enough to win a Super Bowl if we can put a defense around him. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @d-bone said:

    For sure! I have never been so happy to be so wrong regarding Baker. He's our dude for the next 7-10 years and he is good enough to win a Super Bowl if we can put a defense around him. 

    Pretty sure that would constitute "too many men on the field."

    @d-bone said:

    my 53 years of life

    No wonder those 30-something riders get pissed.

    @poeticg said:

    You're right, he was down. Went and watched it again... Mack knocked the ball out just after he hit the ground, that's what I saw.

    Knee was down... ground knocked the ball loose momentarily and Mahommes reflexively pulled it back to him.

    Last part was actually quite impressive considering the stars he was seeing at that moment.

  • @gunz41 said:

    Of course he won't, but there was some confusion about who someone who Gipper was replying to was talking about. So that is where the question came from.

    No doubt that he is special, and I think he fits on any team, but WR just isn't a need on this team. So if Smith is left, but you also have 3 d guys left rated in 1st round, I take the D guy

    Depends on the defensive player, position and where I have them ranked in their said position group. Smith is WR #1 in this draft.   If I get the best player to fall to me (without medical concern) and my option is him against, let's say the 5th rated LB? - then I'm taking the receiver.    

    This defense needs help, zero doubt about that and I'm sure my amateur eyes will find some great additions day 2 and beyond.   But the offense is what cost the Browns a date with Buffalo. Don't be so quick to dismiss our need for a true perimeter threat, especially if ODB doesn't come back healthy.  

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Depends on the defensive player, position and where I have them ranked in their said position group. Smith is WR #1 in this draft.   If I get the best player to fall to me (without medical concern) and my option is him against, let's say the 5th rated LB? - then I'm taking the receiver.

    Whole thing was a hypothetical I put up as rebuttal to posts for us to reflexively take the BPA on the defensive side when our first round pick rolls around.

    @tiamat63 said:

    But the offense is what cost the Browns a date with Buffalo. Don't be so quick to dismiss our need for a true perimeter threat, especially if ODB doesn't come back healthy.  

    We're lockstep on this...

  • @gunz41 said:

    I agree, but I am basing that off of OBJ being back. If he is gone then absolutely. But again it depends on what is left. 

    There's a lot that will go into such a decision between now and the draft.

    But there's a couple things yesterday hightlighted. 

    - Defenses don't fear our speed

    - In order to utilize the misdirection and sweeps like KC does, we're going to need our... How did @tour2ma put it?  "Jitterbug" receiver.    

    Chiefs didn't have to do it much with Hardman, only a few times.  But those few times really contributes to slowing down edge rush and widening out/freezing linebackers.  Stef would be wise in this copycat league to make those sorts of instant offense plays a priority in the off-season.   

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    But there's a couple things yesterday hightlighted. 

    - Defenses don't fear our speed

    - In order to utilize the misdirection and sweeps like KC does, we're going to need our... How did @tour2ma put it?  "Jitterbug" receiver.    

    Yup...Never more in evidence than our that pathetic "Jet sweep" with Landry we tried yesterday.

    And why we were trying to run wide escapes me. I think we had one successful sweep... the one to the right with Tretter and Teller pulling.

    Obviously the need for speed is true on our D-side as well. Especially in at least 4 of our back 7. Hopefully Delpit makes it 3... Greedy could make it 2, but... Greedy... 🙄

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Absolutely but what’s the next move when your front 4 can’t get enough pressure?

    I found myself surprised throughout the year at different points when we let a guy like Mike Glennon sit in a pocket for 6 seconds each play for 60 minutes.  

    I see this sit back and have an extra guy vs blitz scenario a little differently...you think it’s exposing a secondary when you take a guy away from coverage.  I see bringing an extra blitzer as a way to force an errant throw or get a sack or a throwaway and force a punt...we know we don’t force many of those right?  Throughout the year our extra guy or two in coverage seemingly couldn’t find WRs or impact throwing lanes. 

    The other issue is a personnel issue...I like Joseph but aside from the fair catch INT he had I really don’t like him in a role of reading the field and playing coverage...so I’d prefer he attack the QB more.  it’s not Woods fault that Delpit went out but your job sometimes is to turn chicken $h!t into chicken salad.

    The issue is when your explosive plays given up rises commensurately with the blitz rate.    When the Browns sent 5 men or more this year, the pressure rate increase was marginal at best.   So if my return on investment isn't worth it, then I'm kind of fucked... no?

    You'll notice a small shift in defensive philosophy over the second half of the season.   Remember all the single high looks Sendejo and Joesph were being burned on? Those started to not be so noticeable the last 8 weeks, huh?   That's because, in getting away from the C3 and C1 alignments Woods favored in Denver,  went went to more C2, C6 and quarters here hoping to limit....wait for it...  our DB's (not named Ward or Mitch) exposure as much as he possibly could.   So there is a self-awareness the man has of his own roster and what he was able to call reliably this season.   Hint - it wasn't much.

    I don't think sending a 5th or 6th immediately exposes a secondary.   But I think (know) it immediately exposes the Browns secondary.   Because outside of Ward and Mitch, they're really not starting quality.   Does it hurt a team like the Rams? No, they have starting quality DB's across the board.   We can't say the same here in CLE, sadly.  

    Personnel is your first and foremost concern with this defense.   Any conversation to changes beyond that without addressing the former is just spinning wheels. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    The issue is when your explosive plays given up rises commensurately with the blitz rate.    When the Browns sent 5 men or more this year, the pressure rate increase was marginal at best.   So if my return on investment isn't worth it, then I'm kind of fucked... no?

    Absolutely... but the less frequent the blitz the more effective it should be... element of surprise and all that.

    But surprise is simply not enough. You've got to disguise and design to generate a free runner... and that free runner has to be fast, yet come under control.

    Excepting maybe Phillips, that combo is not in our LB room and excepting Ward, Harrison and maybe Mitchell, it is not in our 2ndary either. Not to mention that you'd prefer not to blitz one of your best cover guys.

  • So apparently mahomes doesn't have a concussion, a surgeon who also covers the steelers tweeted today that his uneasiness could be attributed to a vasogal response and his blood pressure dropped.  The chiefs are saying pinched nerve.  I was hoping to watch them flounder with Henne under center. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @vagitron said:

    attributed to a vasogal response

    I would think you of all people would know how to spell Vagisil...

  • M Marvin the Martian wrote on last edited by

    Given the defensive personnel, I do not think any coordinator could make this defense great.  We need to upgrade the linebackers and Sendejo at a minimum

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    This needs movement.  Somewhat unpopular opinion around here though. 

    It's funny because he does some good things but he chokes too often in critical scenarios. I can't get over the 4th down numbers, the 3rd and 10 against McSorely, and the 3rd and longs with Henne. I'm not sure he has what it takes. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @jiggins7919 said:

    It's funny because he does some good things but he chokes too often in critical scenarios. I can't get over the 4th down numbers, the 3rd and 10 against McSorely, and the 3rd and longs with Henne. I'm not sure he has what it takes. 

    If we believe we can improve upon Joe Woods, then I am sure we will, but as has been known since before our game one kickoff, we were "making do" on our D-side this season.

    The real question is what path did our D follow threw this season? Did it improve or did it decline? The answers are made more difficult to determine by Covid atop the usual injury impacts, but I don't think they are unknowable.

    I'm satisfied that the improvement was there. So personally I have no issue with us seeing what Woods can do with more tools and a full TC and preseason to learn what his squad can and cannot do.

  • @vagitron said:

    attributed to a vasogal response

    I would think you of all people would know how to spell Vagisil...

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    I would think you of all people would know how to spell Vagisil...

    ?

    I'm actually talking about a real medical event tho. The chiefs are saying pinched nerve and his wooziness is attributed to that and not his head hitting the ground SO your take that it didn't hit very hard is accurate. 

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/symptoms-causes/syc-20350527#:~:text=Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-,blood pressure to drop suddenly.

  • @tour2ma said:

    I would think you of all people would know how to spell Vagisil...

    ?

    I'm actually talking about a real medical event tho. The chiefs are saying pinched nerve and his wooziness is attributed to that and not his head hitting the ground SO your take that it didn't hit very hard is accurate. 

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/symptoms-causes/syc-20350527#:~:text=Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-,blood pressure to drop suddenly.

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by

    @vagitron said:

    ?

    I'm actually talking about a real medical event tho. The chiefs are saying pinched nerve and his wooziness is attributed to that and not his head hitting the ground SO your take that it didn't hit very hard is accurate. 

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/symptoms-causes/syc-20350527#:~:text=Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-,blood pressure to drop suddenly.

    And Mahomes one was minor. I have seen a serious vasovagal and it is pretty scary. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    I would think you of all people would know how to spell Vagisil...

    ?

    I'm actually talking about a real medical event tho. The chiefs are saying pinched nerve and his wooziness is attributed to that and not his head hitting the ground SO your take that it didn't hit very hard is accurate. 

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/symptoms-causes/syc-20350527#:~:text=Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-,blood pressure to drop suddenly.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma

    @vagitron said:

    ?

    I'm actually talking about a real medical event tho. The chiefs are saying pinched nerve and his wooziness is attributed to that and not his head hitting the ground SO your take that it didn't hit very hard is accurate. 

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/symptoms-causes/syc-20350527#:~:text=Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-,blood pressure to drop suddenly.

    Well... since you said I was right about something... now you have my attention. 😉

    truth was I did not know what vasovagal (syncope) was. Now I do...

    image.png.3a2a1daf2523744872582e138b5c6b2d.png

    So now the question is what prompted it? Only thing I know is Mahommes looked "scared" as his head was approaching the ground. Have to add that does not seem consistent with all the times I've seen him take hits. Then again he does not take them very often... minds eye is now replaying a lot of slides and scampers OB.

    So I guess it is possible that this time he knew he was not in control of what was coming at him... and it triggered the reaction.

    At any rate it's an interesting speculation that I am sure teams across the league will be considering. Not that a QB who doesn't like to be hit is anything new.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    I still contend that somehow the oxygen got cut off to his brain, from the tackle around his neck, and that is what caused him to black out while attempting to stand. 

    And fuck Travis Kelce. 

  • @vagitron said:

    ?

    I'm actually talking about a real medical event tho. The chiefs are saying pinched nerve and his wooziness is attributed to that and not his head hitting the ground SO your take that it didn't hit very hard is accurate. 

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/symptoms-causes/syc-20350527#:~:text=Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-,blood pressure to drop suddenly.

    And Mahomes one was minor. I have seen a serious vasovagal and it is pretty scary. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @gunz41 said:

    And Mahomes one was minor. I have seen a serious vasovagal and it is pretty scary. 

    Do the symptoms include the... I want to say "planking, but I know that's wrong... the involuntary arm and leg extending that the Dr. that ATOM posted was talking about?

    EDIT: Term was "fencing response" and it was Nero that made the original post which ATOM quoted.

  • @d-bone said:

    For sure! I have never been so happy to be so wrong regarding Baker. He's our dude for the next 7-10 years and he is good enough to win a Super Bowl if we can put a defense around him. 

    Pretty sure that would constitute "too many men on the field."

    @d-bone said:

    my 53 years of life

    No wonder those 30-something riders get pissed.

    @poeticg said:

    You're right, he was down. Went and watched it again... Mack knocked the ball out just after he hit the ground, that's what I saw.

    Knee was down... ground knocked the ball loose momentarily and Mahommes reflexively pulled it back to him.

    Last part was actually quite impressive considering the stars he was seeing at that moment.

    PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Pretty sure that would constitute "too many men on the field."

    No wonder those 30-something riders get pissed.

    Knee was down... ground knocked the ball loose momentarily and Mahommes reflexively pulled it back to him.

    Last part was actually quite impressive considering the stars he was seeing at that moment.

    Crazy that a guy that everyone claims is so good damn near knocked himself out of the game trying to slide... 

    Mahomes is good QB without a doubt but I'd take Baker Mayfield over him everyday of the week.