The 2021 Click-bait, Mock Draft Collection Thread
-
I've read a few articles about how Woods wants to be able to use three safeties and two linebackers (instead of the usual 2 safeties and 3 linebackers), if this is true, the more versatile the LB draft prospect is, the more likely the Browns would want them IMO.
-
-
If you were deciding for the Browns - and you could choose between Owusu-Kamorah or Collins...what would be the deciding factors?
I thought that pick might get your attention...
First one proviso...I haven't rolled tape on any LBs to this point, so take this reply with an extra grain of salt or two, although I have seen Owusu twice in games.
That said... Neither...
I take Nick Bolton, who I have seen once in a game. At 6'0 and 235 Nick is right-sized for a MIKE today and he flies around the field.
- Owusu is a 6'1, 215# hybrid LB. While that's a piece that is growing in import in the NFL, it's not one I'll invest a first-rounder in anytime soon... especially when I don't have a MIKE.
- Collins? At 6'4, 260 I see an Edge or 3-4 OLB... Tape may convince me of a SAM or WILL fit, but until it does...
I take Nick Bolton, who I have seen once in a game. At 6'0 and 235 Nick is right-sized for a MIKE today and he flies around the field.
- Owusu is a 6'1, 215# hybrid LB. While that's a piece that is growing in import in the NFL, it's not one I'll invest a first-rounder in anytime soon... especially when I don't have a MIKE.
- Collins? At 6'4, 260 I see an Edge or 3-4 OLB... Tape may convince me of a SAM or WILL fit, but until it does...
Got it. I looked at Bolton - nick is bigger, but I've read where "experts" say he has stiff hips. So, it seems to me, obviously strictly a guess, that he isn't one to turn and cover in the pros so I didn't have him in my top three. But Bolton is a serious tackling machine, and a very smart player... you could very well be right about him.
-
I take Nick Bolton, who I have seen once in a game. At 6'0 and 235 Nick is right-sized for a MIKE today and he flies around the field.
- Owusu is a 6'1, 215# hybrid LB. While that's a piece that is growing in import in the NFL, it's not one I'll invest a first-rounder in anytime soon... especially when I don't have a MIKE.
- Collins? At 6'4, 260 I see an Edge or 3-4 OLB... Tape may convince me of a SAM or WILL fit, but until it does...
Got it. I looked at Bolton - nick is bigger, but I've read where "experts" say he has stiff hips. So, it seems to me, obviously strictly a guess, that he isn't one to turn and cover in the pros so I didn't have him in my top three. But Bolton is a serious tackling machine, and a very smart player... you could very well be right about him.
Got it. I looked at Bolton - nick is bigger, but I've read where "experts" say he has stiff hips. So, it seems to me, obviously strictly a guess, that he isn't one to turn and cover in the pros so I didn't have him in my top three. But Bolton is a serious tackling machine, and a very smart player... you could very well be right about him.
He's good in Zone Pass D with everything in front of him. Hips? Dunno... but if my Mike can't back-peddle and fly open to run with a swifter receiver? I can live with that...

In one tape (I think it was the highlight reel) he did follow a WR out wide left and the QB threw to his man. Coverage was good and the pass was incomplete... of course replay showed a fairly subtle hold that was instrumental.
-
Someone named Daniel Jeremiah just updated his mock for NFL.com and has Zaven falling to Browns in the first
-
Someone named Daniel Jeremiah just updated his mock for NFL.com and has Zaven falling to Browns in the first
Someone named Daniel Jeremiah just updated his mock for NFL.com and has Zaven falling to Browns in the first
Saw that... here's a round one roundup...
Browns first-round mock draft roundup (1/26/21)
Cleveland needs help all across the defense, so who do some draft experts believe the Browns will select in the first round?
By Thomas Moore@Tom_RedRight88 Jan 26, 2021, 2:31pm ESTSteve Palazzolo at Pro Football Focus:
Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri: Value and need match up for the Browns for the second straight year, as Bolton is the top linebacker on the board, and Cleveland must have better play from that unit. Bolton flies around the field, and despite taking a step back in 2020, his 2019 coverage grade of 90.4 shows what he’s capable of. Bolton has broken up 11 passes over the last two years, but he must cut down on his 28 missed tackles during that same period.
Aaron Robinson, DB, Central Florida: The Browns had major issues in their secondary last season, which started in training camp when rookie safety Grant Delpit tore his Achilles tendon and second-year corner Greedy Williams hurt his shoulder. Both second-rounders ended up missing the entire season. With Robinson, Cleveland could add a big, aggressive defensive back who can play multiple positions. The 6-1 Alabama transfer played corner and nickelback for the Knights, and I could see him playing some safety in the NFL. I moved him up my rankings after watching more tape of his last two seasons.
Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa: Collins is very similar to Leighton Vander Esch when he was coming out of Boise State. Collins has the same size, length and athleticism. Cleveland needs to upgrade at the linebacker position.
Vinnie Iyer at The Sporting News:
Azeez Ojulari, OLB, Georgia: The Browns have Myles Garrett anchoring their defensive line and Denzel Ward leading their secondary. They could use some complementary pieces there, but they also were short on playmaking on the second level Ojulari has jumped into first-round consideration because he’s a unique pass-rusher who can fit a variety of schemes and alignments and has potential both in stopping the run and in coverage. Joe Woods is used to that type of linebacker from his 49ers days.
Jordan Reid at The Draft Network:
Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa: The Browns’ lack of talent on the second level is evident. The team hardly ever places early-round emphasis on addressing it, but Collins is a piece that should make them contemplate that philosophy. A versatile piece, he can be used as an edge rusher as well as a second-level threat.
https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/1/26/22250770/cleveland-browns-mock-draft-roundup-1-26-21Azeez Ojulari, OLB, Georgia: The Browns were middle of the road in getting after the quarterback and there is little depth behind Myles Garrett. Ojulari had a standout season for the Bulldogs and while he hasn’t drawn the national attention of Kwity Paye or Jaelan Phillips, he’s a legit terror off the edge.
-
Different selection from a different draft-head...
1. Who improved their draft stock?
Jaelan Phillips, edge rusher, Miami: Phillips had medically retired at one point in his career before transferring to Miami for 2020. He filled in for Gregory Rousseau, who should also be a first-round pick this April despite opting out. Phillips clearly made the most of his opportunity this season.
In 10 games this season, Phillips had eight sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss and an interception. He showed exactly why he was a five-star prospect coming out of high school. Injury questions along with only one true year of production could keep him from going too high in the first round. But the fact that he could be a first-round pick considering where he was at the start of the season is remarkable.26. Cleveland Browns: Jaelen Phillips, edge rusher, Miami
Height, weight: 6-foot-5, 266 pounds.
2020 stats: 45 tackles, 8 sacks, 15.5 TFLs, 3 passes defensed, 1 INT.
As I wrote at the top of this post, no one did more for his draft prospects this year than Phillips. His hands and athleticism are outstanding. Putting him opposite Myles Garrett will help him grow into the NFL, and potentially give the Browns a dynamic combo of young defensive ends.
-
Someone named Daniel Jeremiah just updated his mock for NFL.com and has Zaven falling to Browns in the first
Saw that... here's a round one roundup...
Browns first-round mock draft roundup (1/26/21)
Cleveland needs help all across the defense, so who do some draft experts believe the Browns will select in the first round?
By Thomas Moore@Tom_RedRight88 Jan 26, 2021, 2:31pm ESTSteve Palazzolo at Pro Football Focus:
Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri: Value and need match up for the Browns for the second straight year, as Bolton is the top linebacker on the board, and Cleveland must have better play from that unit. Bolton flies around the field, and despite taking a step back in 2020, his 2019 coverage grade of 90.4 shows what he’s capable of. Bolton has broken up 11 passes over the last two years, but he must cut down on his 28 missed tackles during that same period.
Aaron Robinson, DB, Central Florida: The Browns had major issues in their secondary last season, which started in training camp when rookie safety Grant Delpit tore his Achilles tendon and second-year corner Greedy Williams hurt his shoulder. Both second-rounders ended up missing the entire season. With Robinson, Cleveland could add a big, aggressive defensive back who can play multiple positions. The 6-1 Alabama transfer played corner and nickelback for the Knights, and I could see him playing some safety in the NFL. I moved him up my rankings after watching more tape of his last two seasons.
Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa: Collins is very similar to Leighton Vander Esch when he was coming out of Boise State. Collins has the same size, length and athleticism. Cleveland needs to upgrade at the linebacker position.
Vinnie Iyer at The Sporting News:
Azeez Ojulari, OLB, Georgia: The Browns have Myles Garrett anchoring their defensive line and Denzel Ward leading their secondary. They could use some complementary pieces there, but they also were short on playmaking on the second level Ojulari has jumped into first-round consideration because he’s a unique pass-rusher who can fit a variety of schemes and alignments and has potential both in stopping the run and in coverage. Joe Woods is used to that type of linebacker from his 49ers days.
Jordan Reid at The Draft Network:
Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa: The Browns’ lack of talent on the second level is evident. The team hardly ever places early-round emphasis on addressing it, but Collins is a piece that should make them contemplate that philosophy. A versatile piece, he can be used as an edge rusher as well as a second-level threat.
https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/1/26/22250770/cleveland-browns-mock-draft-roundup-1-26-21Azeez Ojulari, OLB, Georgia: The Browns were middle of the road in getting after the quarterback and there is little depth behind Myles Garrett. Ojulari had a standout season for the Bulldogs and while he hasn’t drawn the national attention of Kwity Paye or Jaelan Phillips, he’s a legit terror off the edge.
-
Looks like a plethora of LBs for sure plus one DB.
It's a LB rich class and almost as if our FO looked ahead in 2019...

DBs? There is quality at the top to be sure, but in the sims they go early and than you won't see one in the ranking for most of rounds 2 thru 4... It's really weird.
Safeties trend opposite... only a couple early, but then a steady flow in rounds 2 thru 5.
-
Seems like a honest Roster digest... https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/browns-2021-offseason-roster-review/95-7d3b2574-ff65-4c7d-b1ba-fed88adea5e5
Should be a deep evaluation board of LB'ers vs. Corner's vs. DT's vs. DE's... Get to work AB ! ? (replacing Vernon's side, is the fence am sitting on for now)
-
Here's a 3 round Mock that I could see happening.. Includes unnamed teams that may trade up for QB's...
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-weissman-4.0
In the 2nd, I'd only change one thing,.By taking Pitt's DE Jones ll instead of Roche..
His 2nd round, looks somewhat underwhelming and includes Olave who went back to school.. but our 4 pick outcome would look great ?
-
Here's a 3 round Mock that I could see happening.. Includes unnamed teams that may trade up for QB's...
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-weissman-4.0
In the 2nd, I'd only change one thing,.By taking Pitt's DE Jones ll instead of Roche..
His 2nd round, looks somewhat underwhelming and includes Olave who went back to school.. but our 4 pick outcome would look great ?
Here's a 3 round Mock that I could see happening.. Includes unnamed teams that may trade up for QB's...
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-weissman-4.0
In the 2nd, I'd only change one thing,.By taking Pitt's DE Jones ll instead of Roche..
His 2nd round, looks somewhat underwhelming and includes Olave who went back to school.. but our 4 pick outcome would look great ?
Nixon, huh? Interesting.
I guess my draft and roster philosophy started with watching the Gmen from the early to late 2000's. With the de-emphasis on the running game as priority #1, the need for IDL also drops commensurately. Much like how the RB position is now valued, with fewer and fewer picks in the top 50 because such great production can be found that doesn't include a high price tag for a position with the shortest life-span in the NFL. While it's more of a guideline than a rule (A little Ghostbusters reference there, kids) there are exceptions to that. If I find a transcendent IDL talent, obviously I'm going to pull that trigger. So who would be on that short list lately... Donald. Fletcher Cox? Kenny Clark? Buckner? Heyward? Re: Donald, are any of those names talents you would consider his equal? I don't think so but Cox is about the only one that is really close.
Next tier being Chris Jones (3rd round pick) Grady Jarrett (5th round pick) Akiem Hicks (3rd round) Mo Hurst (5th round) ( @mld-woody I told you he'd be good) Linval Joseph (2nd round)
My point being, the Gmen won 2 Superbowl's in that stretch not investing a single 1st round pick on IDL. Actually their highest pick was Linval Joseph in the 2nd. But beyond that? Nothing from 2001 until I believe Dexter Lawrence? They drafted edge rushers and found effective talent in the mid to later rounds to supplement the outside production because an Aaron Donald simply wasn't available. I guess, in a way, I also view the QB position the same. If I'm not 100% convinced that I've found THE guy, then I'm not going to address the position unless BPA severely dictates it or I can leverage my draft board to achieve similar production at a better value for the position. I'm just a believer that those assets can be invested elsewhere while finding talent for IDL later. Unless of course Nixon looks like the next Aaron Donald.
-
Here's a 3 round Mock that I could see happening.. Includes unnamed teams that may trade up for QB's...
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-weissman-4.0
In the 2nd, I'd only change one thing,.By taking Pitt's DE Jones ll instead of Roche..
His 2nd round, looks somewhat underwhelming and includes Olave who went back to school.. but our 4 pick outcome would look great ?
Nixon, huh? Interesting.
I guess my draft and roster philosophy started with watching the Gmen from the early to late 2000's. With the de-emphasis on the running game as priority #1, the need for IDL also drops commensurately. Much like how the RB position is now valued, with fewer and fewer picks in the top 50 because such great production can be found that doesn't include a high price tag for a position with the shortest life-span in the NFL. While it's more of a guideline than a rule (A little Ghostbusters reference there, kids) there are exceptions to that. If I find a transcendent IDL talent, obviously I'm going to pull that trigger. So who would be on that short list lately... Donald. Fletcher Cox? Kenny Clark? Buckner? Heyward? Re: Donald, are any of those names talents you would consider his equal? I don't think so but Cox is about the only one that is really close.
Next tier being Chris Jones (3rd round pick) Grady Jarrett (5th round pick) Akiem Hicks (3rd round) Mo Hurst (5th round) ( @mld-woody I told you he'd be good) Linval Joseph (2nd round)
My point being, the Gmen won 2 Superbowl's in that stretch not investing a single 1st round pick on IDL. Actually their highest pick was Linval Joseph in the 2nd. But beyond that? Nothing from 2001 until I believe Dexter Lawrence? They drafted edge rushers and found effective talent in the mid to later rounds to supplement the outside production because an Aaron Donald simply wasn't available. I guess, in a way, I also view the QB position the same. If I'm not 100% convinced that I've found THE guy, then I'm not going to address the position unless BPA severely dictates it or I can leverage my draft board to achieve similar production at a better value for the position. I'm just a believer that those assets can be invested elsewhere while finding talent for IDL later. Unless of course Nixon looks like the next Aaron Donald.
Nixon, huh? Interesting.
Much like how the RB position is now valued, with fewer and fewer picks in the top 50 because such great production can be found that doesn't include a high price tag for a position with the shortest life-span in the NFL. AGREEd
My point being, the Gmen won 2 Superbowl's in that stretch not investing a single 1st round pick on IDL. They drafted edge rushers and found effective talent in the mid to later rounds to supplement the outside production because an Aaron Donald simply wasn't available. I guess, in a way, I also view the QB position the same. If I'm not 100% convinced that I've found THE guy, then I'm not going to address the position unless BPA severely dictates it or I can leverage my draft board to achieve similar production at a better value for the position. I'm just a believer that those assets can be invested elsewhere while finding talent for IDL later. Unless of course Nixon looks like the next Aaron Donald.
As for the mock position layout.. We'd be scrambling to replace LB Mack Wilson again going into the 5th.Mack was taken #155 in 5th/ while we own #169 this draft.
We could certainly take LB over DT in the 1st...much prefer if the value sits there..
Nixon is no Donald...but if we get a Johnathan Allen type DT from it? I'm OK with a 17th overall pick DT value, picking 26th
-
@tiamat63 if you told me I'm sure I agreed. Mo was a rare IDL that could get pressure up on the QB. Michigan has been struggling to replace that for years.
Also, the only reason Mo went that late I'd because they found some heart condition / irregularity during his medical at the combine. Teams get nervous and he dropped.
-
Nixon, huh? Interesting.
Much like how the RB position is now valued, with fewer and fewer picks in the top 50 because such great production can be found that doesn't include a high price tag for a position with the shortest life-span in the NFL. AGREEd
My point being, the Gmen won 2 Superbowl's in that stretch not investing a single 1st round pick on IDL. They drafted edge rushers and found effective talent in the mid to later rounds to supplement the outside production because an Aaron Donald simply wasn't available. I guess, in a way, I also view the QB position the same. If I'm not 100% convinced that I've found THE guy, then I'm not going to address the position unless BPA severely dictates it or I can leverage my draft board to achieve similar production at a better value for the position. I'm just a believer that those assets can be invested elsewhere while finding talent for IDL later. Unless of course Nixon looks like the next Aaron Donald.
As for the mock position layout.. We'd be scrambling to replace LB Mack Wilson again going into the 5th.Mack was taken #155 in 5th/ while we own #169 this draft.
We could certainly take LB over DT in the 1st...much prefer if the value sits there..
Nixon is no Donald...but if we get a Johnathan Allen type DT from it? I'm OK with a 17th overall pick DT value, picking 26th
As for the mock position layout.. We'd be scrambling to replace LB Mack Wilson again going into the 5th.Mack was taken #155 in 5th/ while we own #169 this draft.
We could certainly take LB over DT in the 1st...much prefer if the value sits there..
Nixon is no Danald...but if we get a Johnathan Allen type DT from it? I'm OK with a 17th pick DT value
Re: The bolded - yeah, I'm good with that. Mack is the worst LB on this team and it isn't close right now.
With Billings, Elliot and possibly Jobi in the fold, I need a DI that gives me the pass rush push long term. That 3-tech to replace Sheldon in time. If you can't find it, then don't try to draft it high.
-
@tiamat63 if you told me I'm sure I agreed. Mo was a rare IDL that could get pressure up on the QB. Michigan has been struggling to replace that for years.
Also, the only reason Mo went that late I'd because they found some heart condition / irregularity during his medical at the combine. Teams get nervous and he dropped.
@tiamat63 if you told me I'm sure I agreed. Mo was a rare IDL that could get pressure up on the QB. Michigan has been struggling to replace that for years.
Also, the only reason Mo went that late I'd because they found some heart condition / irregularity during his medical at the combine. Teams get nervous and he dropped.
Yes, well aware of that. I believe we even spoke about it. His size at the time (270ish) was also a concern.
Gary is a solid player, but Mo and Bush were the heart and soul of that defense for a couple years.
-
@tiamat63 if you told me I'm sure I agreed. Mo was a rare IDL that could get pressure up on the QB. Michigan has been struggling to replace that for years.
Also, the only reason Mo went that late I'd because they found some heart condition / irregularity during his medical at the combine. Teams get nervous and he dropped.
Yes, well aware of that. I believe we even spoke about it. His size at the time (270ish) was also a concern.
Gary is a solid player, but Mo and Bush were the heart and soul of that defense for a couple years.
Yes, well aware of that. I believe we even spoke about it. His size at the time (270ish) was also a concern.
Gary is a solid player, but Mo and Bush were the heart and soul of that defense for a couple years.
Bush kinda came out of nowhere, but yeah, he was a huge part of the D. Bush and Mo only overlapped one season though.
Honestly the whole DL was stacked if you start going through the names. Hoke and Mattison could recruit DL.
CBs were good too.
I believe Gary is starting to be pretty solid for the Packers
-
Yes, well aware of that. I believe we even spoke about it. His size at the time (270ish) was also a concern.
Gary is a solid player, but Mo and Bush were the heart and soul of that defense for a couple years.
Bush kinda came out of nowhere, but yeah, he was a huge part of the D. Bush and Mo only overlapped one season though.
Honestly the whole DL was stacked if you start going through the names. Hoke and Mattison could recruit DL.
CBs were good too.
I believe Gary is starting to be pretty solid for the Packers
Bush kinda came out of nowhere, but yeah, he was a huge part of the D. Bush and Mo only overlapped one season though.
Honestly the whole DL was stacked if you start going through the names. Hoke and Mattison could recruit DL.
CBs were good too.
I believe Gary is starting to be pretty solid for the Packers
Parris Campbell, KJ, Mclaurin & Olave might disagree about that.
Yes, Gary is starting to produce on a more limited snap count. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of Pettine's defensive philosophy's so who knows what his ceiling might be.
-
As for the mock position layout.. We'd be scrambling to replace LB Mack Wilson again going into the 5th.Mack was taken #155 in 5th/ while we own #169 this draft.
We could certainly take LB over DT in the 1st...much prefer if the value sits there..
Nixon is no Danald...but if we get a Johnathan Allen type DT from it? I'm OK with a 17th pick DT value
Re: The bolded - yeah, I'm good with that. Mack is the worst LB on this team and it isn't close right now.
With Billings, Elliot and possibly Jobi in the fold, I need a DI that gives me the pass rush push long term. That 3-tech to replace Sheldon in time. If you can't find it, then don't try to draft it high.
Re: The bolded - yeah, I'm good with that. Mack is the worst LB on this team and it isn't close right now. Well put... he's Not even close..
With Billings, Elliot and possibly Jobi in the fold, I need a DI that gives me the pass rush push long term. That 3-tech to replace Sheldon in time. If you can't find it, then don't try to draft it high. Joe Woods's passed this note to Berry after they shook hands
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login