Skip to content

Hopeful Historical Comparison

The Browns Board
4 2 224
  • In watching some of the sports talk on TV this morning there was talk about the upcoming  matchup between  Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen  who each came into the league only a year apart.  They are both strong armed, extremely talented  players, and it was reminiscent to me of the  contrasts and comparison of two other  strong armed, extremely talented  QBs of the past:    John Elway vs.  Dan Marino.  

    But then I thought:   who really was the dominant QB of that era when  Marino and Elway played?   It was NOT the  tall, strong armed QB......it was really a shorter, not as strong armed but consummate leader of a team who worked in a system and with a coach who tailored a system  that dominated  the league at that time.   That being Joe Montana and the Bill Walsh 49ers.

    And my thought was:    Let's hope we have this era's Joe Montana  that can dominate over this era's versions of Elway and Marino.  That, of course, being Baker Mayfield.    There is no denying the talent of Mahomes and Allen, just as there was no denying Elway and Marino's talent.   But, I think to be honest,  if you are ranking the all time QBs....Montana's name would come before those other two because of his moxy, leadership, accuracy etc.

    So, here is hoping we can have that situation here.  Of course, one thing Montana did have that Mayfield doesn't have, so far, was a fairly dominating defense on the other side of the ball.  People obviously remember the prowess of Montana/Rice/Clark/Roger Craig and that SFO offense; but, they often forget how very outstanding that 49ers defense was as well.  You don't win  4 Super Bowls by offense alone.    So the Browns need to shore up their defense to give the Stefanski/Mayfield offense the ability to shine as well.  It does us know good to score 42 pts. if you are giving up 47. 

  • Top 25 All Time QBs per  Elliott Harrison, NFL.com  as of July 2019:

    1.  Tom Brady

    2. Joe Montana

    3. Peyton Manning

    4. John Unitas

    5. Otto Graham

    6. Drew Brees

    7. Dan Mariono

    8. Roger Staubach

    9. John Elway

    10. Aaron Rodgers

    11. Sammy Baugh

    12. Brett Favre

    13. Bart Starr

    14. Troy Aikman

    15. Steve Young

    16. Sid Luckman

    17.  Terry Bradshaw

    18. Russell Wilson

    19. Ben  Roethlisberger

    20. Kurt Warner

    21. Jim Kelly

    22. Warren Moon

    23. Fran Tarkenton

    24. Len Dawson

    25. Norm Van Brocklin

    Any beefs with this list?

  • My own ideas:

    1. As far as "old timers" is concerned, I might put in  Bob Waterfield/Bobby Layne/Arnie Herber ahead of  Van Brocklin

    2. I might put in Plunkett and Stabler in over  Moon.

    And, I don't know....is Joe Flacco getting short shrift? He is 10-5 in the postseason.   He has more postseason wins that the likes of Dan Marino,  Steve Young, Kurt Warner,  Jim Kelly, Bob Griese, and others. 

  • While I’m no fan of that horsetooth idiot from Denver. I would take him of Roger Staubach all day

    And I would take Aaron Rodgers over horseface  100 out of 100 times