Skip to content

Bear

Barber Shop Talk
15 7 673
  • I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about a bear chasing a skier down a slope. 
     

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.unilad.co.uk/animals/bear-chases-skier-down-mountain-in-terrifying-video/amp/

  • funny (2).gif

  • UNBELIEVABLE Bear Attacks & Interactions CAUGHT ON CAMERA! - YouTube

  • funny (4).gif

  • I've seen that one before. In this one I'm laughing at the guy with a bear bell snugly under a  fitted shirt so it can't even move around or make noise that will carry in the least to a bear in a fast running stream. Plus they acknowledge the mama bear , but have no idea where her cub is. I'm carrying a .357mag with a round made to kill grizzlies or black bears I can't scare off. And a bear horn as a starter.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I've seen that one before. In this one I'm laughing at the guy with a bear bell snugly under a  fitted shirt so it can't even move around or make noise that will carry in the least to a bear in a fast running stream. Plus they acknowledge the mama bear , but have no idea where her cub is. I'm carrying a .357mag with a round made to kill grizzlies or black bears I can't scare off. And a bear horn as a starter.

    Since we're talking Alaska bears Tex. First time I went up to Alaska in 1992, I brought my .357 Colt python with me. My pal Bernie just laughed. Said "you shoot a bear with that pea shooter, you're only going to piss him off." Only thing the natives use as a sidearm that they consider remotely adequate for bear protection is a .44 mag. For your cabin in the outback- the preferred bear defense is a 12 gauges loaded with 000 buckshot.  Yeah, guides use a .375 H&H stopper if their clients only wing a Kodiak, but then you had better not miss.  🙂 BTW, walking through those alder hells where you can't see ten feet ahead of you- Bernie's dogs were wearing nice loud bells.  

    And for those who haven't seen this one, regarding bears- I think I've seen it all.  

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/19/alaska-woman-outhouse-attacked-bear

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I've seen that one before. In this one I'm laughing at the guy with a bear bell snugly under a  fitted shirt so it can't even move around or make noise that will carry in the least to a bear in a fast running stream. Plus they acknowledge the mama bear , but have no idea where her cub is. I'm carrying a .357mag with a round made to kill grizzlies or black bears I can't scare off. And a bear horn as a starter.

    Since we're talking Alaska bears Tex. First time I went up to Alaska in 1992, I brought my .357 Colt python with me. My pal Bernie just laughed. Said "you shoot a bear with that pea shooter, you're only going to piss him off." Only thing the natives use as a sidearm that they consider remotely adequate for bear protection is a .44 mag. For your cabin in the outback- the preferred bear defense is a 12 gauges loaded with 000 buckshot.  Yeah, guides use a .375 H&H stopper if their clients only wing a Kodiak, but then you had better not miss.  🙂 BTW, walking through those alder hells where you can't see ten feet ahead of you- Bernie's dogs were wearing nice loud bells.  

    And for those who haven't seen this one, regarding bears- I think I've seen it all.  

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/19/alaska-woman-outhouse-attacked-bear

    @hoorta said:

    Since we're talking Alaska bears Tex. First time I went up to Alaska in 1992, I brought my .357 Colt python with me. My pal Bernie just laughed. Said "you shoot a bear with that pea shooter, you're only going to piss him off." Only thing the natives use as a sidearm that they consider remotely adequate for bear protection is a .44 mag.

    You put the right jacketed hollow point round in it like a Buffalo Bore, Cor Bon or Double Tap, I guarantee that bear goes down if you stay cool and aim right. Someone using a round like that in a 9mm took one down in Alaska. I carry Cor Bon's in my 9mm since I can only carry concealed in RMNP. My Ruger Blackhawk is too big to hide. Now if the grizz ever move back to Texas, I can carry it open.  LOL!??

  • @hoorta said:

    Since we're talking Alaska bears Tex. First time I went up to Alaska in 1992, I brought my .357 Colt python with me. My pal Bernie just laughed. Said "you shoot a bear with that pea shooter, you're only going to piss him off." Only thing the natives use as a sidearm that they consider remotely adequate for bear protection is a .44 mag.

    You put the right jacketed hollow point round in it like a Buffalo Bore, Cor Bon or Double Tap, I guarantee that bear goes down if you stay cool and aim right. Someone using a round like that in a 9mm took one down in Alaska. I carry Cor Bon's in my 9mm since I can only carry concealed in RMNP. My Ruger Blackhawk is too big to hide. Now if the grizz ever move back to Texas, I can carry it open.  LOL!??

    @texasag1969 said:

    You put the right jacketed hollow point round in it like a Buffalo Bore, Cor Bon or Double Tap, I guarantee that bear goes down if you stay cool and aim right. Someone using a round like that in a 9mm took one down in Alaska. I carry Cor Bon's in my 9mm since I can only carry concealed in RMNP. My Ruger Blackhawk is too big to hide. Now if the grizz ever move back to Texas, I can carry it open.  LOL!??

    Staying calm with a 1000 plus pound hungry killer grizzly charging at you.  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    You put the right jacketed hollow point round in it like a Buffalo Bore, Cor Bon or Double Tap, I guarantee that bear goes down if you stay cool and aim right. Someone using a round like that in a 9mm took one down in Alaska. I carry Cor Bon's in my 9mm since I can only carry concealed in RMNP. My Ruger Blackhawk is too big to hide. Now if the grizz ever move back to Texas, I can carry it open.  LOL!??

    Staying calm with a 1000 plus pound hungry killer grizzly charging at you.  

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Staying calm with a 1000 plus pound hungry killer grizzly charging at you.  

    You can't run so you better be accurate. I never said it would be easy. At least the bear doesn't have a gun shooting back at you.?

  • You want no part of a Black Bear, Brown Bear, or especially a Grizzly Bear.

    We have them in this part of the Country, and have seen Black Bears crossing the road in urban areas before.

    Have also had Mountain Lions / Cougars prowling around at times.

    Out walking a Trail some years back saw a Lynx a few dozen yards off the trail, glad the dog didn't see it or there could have been problems.

    Folk aren't prepared for these type of interactions these day, hell, Texas and areas have some damn large wild Boar that will / have eaten people.

    If you aren't armed and know what you're doing, stay away from this shit.

    Beautiful too observe, but you don't want any interaction with them if you have sense.

    Know of stories when I lived in Alaska of people ignoring Grizzlies while they were Berry picking, one swipe of the paw and their Heads went tumbling - bad shit.

    Go watch "The Edge" for a glimpse.