Skip to content

Quarterback Merry Go Round

The Browns Board
206 24 6.3k 1
  • Zombo said:

    Watson didn't want to pick the skin color of the hires, he wanted his input validated, like he was promised from ownership. 

    It's a fucked up organization with clueless ownership and a religious cookoo making decisions and frankly, I'd like to see generational talent like Watson and Watt go somewhere where they have a fighting  chance to compete for championships, because I think things are going to get worse before they get better in Houston.

    JJ is welcome to finish his career in Cleveland.

    Z

    Well....we don't call them the DumbAss Texans for nothing.

    The Oilers should have never left Houston.    But I am not really sure that Bud Adams....and now his daughter were/are any better than the DATs ownership...but probably.

    By the way....given this topic:    Have the Browns owners gotten a lot smarter lately? 

  • Zombo said:

    I don't know if you have a mouse in your pocket, but you are the only one that calls them that.

    Actually  a lot of people have  called them that here.  I did not make up that name for them. 

    As for the for the Haslems, they have made better decisions and hires, and I think that came with experience,  they were already plenty smart.

    Well, they got smarter with whom they have hired now certainly. 

    Z

  • @gunz41 said:

    Maybe do a little more research Gipper. 

    Research into what? 

    Sure, Maybe trading Hopkins irked him (it would anyone), but his extension was signed after the trade.

    And you are entitled to any opinion you want, but when you have said on here about trusting the guys in the know then you should be held to that standard, not just when it appeases you.

    Who are the guys in the know and what should I trust them about? 

    There are many places online you can easily find the timeline for these things. But, in fact it has been said that even if they were to in fact to hire Bienemy (sounds like his choice) that he would still want out.

    I know that. Nevertheless, I think that the Oilers think that by hiring a black coach it could salve some of Watson's wounds.  If they want to speculate about that sort of thing, why shouldn't I? 

    Now on to the other things, sure a contract is binding, I wasn't questioning that. What I was saying is that his mindset that seems to have changed since he signed the contract could have changed. That seems like a no Brainerd honestly. He wouldn't have signed it if he planned to want out, for whatever reason that is. There are no "Bird Rules" type deals in the NFL, so staying with the Texans doesn't offer him any more money.

    And..so?  What? 

    And no, James Harden isn't a good answer to me. The ONLY thing you can point to as being similar is wanting to go somewhere with a better chance to win. You obviously missed the ENTIRE point of health etc. There is no greater chance of Harden being hurt in Houston as opposed to Brooklyn, where as in the NFL there certainly is (not Houston in particular). Add to the fact that Houston tried multiple times to find guys to help Harden via big talents, and Texans made TERRIBLE moves. 

    I guess I must have missed the entire point of health.  Whose health?  I have not heard one word about health being a factor in either the Watson nor Harden situation. So, yes, I missed that if that was a thing.  From what I understand it was just pure disgruntledness in both situations...which is why I say Watson and Harden are similar. 

    And I am sure that if they do get a trade pulled off that they would rather it be NFC, but a lot of things would have to fall that way. 

    But I will end with your question about reverse racism. Sure that can be a thing, but as I ALREADY pointed out, and you didn't say minority you said BLACK, that one of the 2 guys he wanted them to INTERVIEW is in fact NOT BLACK. Add that to the fact that we aren't talking about guys who aren't qualified (All 3: Khan, Riddick, and EB are mentioned for multiple jobs each time and certainlyqualified) there is no need to question it being racially motivated.

    Tell that to the people on TV....after all, I didn't pull that out of my ass.  It has been highly implied there that race is an issue in this whole thing.  

    @the-gipper said:

    I Into ALL of it.

    But let's just start with you wanting to blame this on Hopkins trade, which was pointed out the extension was signed MONTHS after. Which was the point in the mentioning he doesn't get some kind of better deal by signing that extension.

    And sorry Mr. Know it all, have to have some kind of strong opinion on something (even when you don't even know the subject), and refuse to admit anything is wrong with anything, but I REFUSE TO DO YOUR WORK FOR YOU. If you want to learn, go online and find the many articles, reports, etc. on it. It might not make you appear so uninformed.

    As for the guys to listen to, I dunno it was within the last month you said multiple times that the "experts" were the only people's opinions you take (aside from yourself I am sure). But of course we already know that you believe you know more than them so don't know why I even bothered.

    As for health, no that was not REPORTED anywhere, but it absolutely was in the post you replied to, and one of the reasons why Harden/Watson situation can be viewed differently.

    And you honestly have to be the dumbest smart person I have seen. Especially when you contradict yourself in the same post. So you acknowledge that it's reported that Watson wants out even if they hired his choice, yet the Texans may think it could help resolve issues if they did? And if THEY believe that, why shouldn't you????

    The way you act, there is no denying why people have said they blocked you. But you won't get away with your idiotic stuff with me Ghoolump (figure it out smart guy, multiple people have said your messages remind of BOTH of them.

    Oh, and P.S., if it is the hour that you want to trust the "experts", people in the know, etc. Then Watson preferred destination is the Jets. And wouldn't you know it, their new head coach is NOT BLACK. Since it has been REPORTED that the final 2 for Texans was Bienemy and Frazier, lets assume one gets the job. For your "want for a Black coach" (we won't even mention GM again), he would have to Stay in HOU, Go to Pittsburgh, or Go to Miami. 

    So since you went out of your way to want to make it racially motivated (and others besides me on here and certainly almost every report is against that as well), it appears you have a 9.375% chance of even having a conversation of it being about race.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I Into ALL of it.

    But let's just start with you wanting to blame this on Hopkins trade, which was pointed out the extension was signed MONTHS after. Which was the point in the mentioning he doesn't get some kind of better deal by signing that extension.

    And sorry Mr. Know it all, have to have some kind of strong opinion on something (even when you don't even know the subject), and refuse to admit anything is wrong with anything, but I REFUSE TO DO YOUR WORK FOR YOU. If you want to learn, go online and find the many articles, reports, etc. on it. It might not make you appear so uninformed.

    As for the guys to listen to, I dunno it was within the last month you said multiple times that the "experts" were the only people's opinions you take (aside from yourself I am sure). But of course we already know that you believe you know more than them so don't know why I even bothered.

    As for health, no that was not REPORTED anywhere, but it absolutely was in the post you replied to, and one of the reasons why Harden/Watson situation can be viewed differently.

    And you honestly have to be the dumbest smart person I have seen. Especially when you contradict yourself in the same post. So you acknowledge that it's reported that Watson wants out even if they hired his choice, yet the Texans may think it could help resolve issues if they did? And if THEY believe that, why shouldn't you????

    The way you act, there is no denying why people have said they blocked you. But you won't get away with your idiotic stuff with me Ghoolump (figure it out smart guy, multiple people have said your messages remind of BOTH of them.

    Oh, and P.S., if it is the hour that you want to trust the "experts", people in the know, etc. Then Watson preferred destination is the Jets. And wouldn't you know it, their new head coach is NOT BLACK. Since it has been REPORTED that the final 2 for Texans was Bienemy and Frazier, lets assume one gets the job. For your "want for a Black coach" (we won't even mention GM again), he would have to Stay in HOU, Go to Pittsburgh, or Go to Miami. 

    So since you went out of your way to want to make it racially motivated (and others besides me on here and certainly almost every report is against that as well), it appears you have a 9.375% chance of even having a conversation of it being about race.

    @gunz41 said:

    I Into ALL of it.

    But let's just start with you wanting to blame this on Hopkins trade, which was pointed out the extension was signed MONTHS after. Which was the point in the mentioning he doesn't get some kind of better deal by signing that extension.

    And sorry Mr. Know it all, have to have some kind of strong opinion on something (even when you don't even know the subject), and refuse to admit anything is wrong with anything, but I REFUSE TO DO YOUR WORK FOR YOU. If you want to learn, go online and find the many articles, reports, etc. on it. It might not make you appear so uninformed.

    Not asking you to do any work for me.  This is just one of hundreds of football subjects I perhaps discuss on here every day.  Its not worth my time....nor yours to worry so much about it. 

    As for the guys to listen to, I dunno it was within the last month you said multiple times that the "experts" were the only people's opinions you take (aside from yourself I am sure). But of course we already know that you believe you know more than them so don't know why I even bothered.

    Not sure where you are getting that.  

    As for health, no that was not REPORTED anywhere, but it absolutely was in the post you replied to, and one of the reasons why Harden/Watson situation can be viewed differently.

    OK, whatever. I must have missed it. 

    And you honestly have to be the dumbest smart person I have seen. Especially when you contradict yourself in the same post. So you acknowledge that it's reported that Watson wants out even if they hired his choice, yet the Texans may think it could help resolve issues if they did? And if THEY believe that, why shouldn't you????

    I don't know what I believe in this situation...other than that it appears he wants out.  Otherwise I am not privy to anything...and often I am just repeating what I am hearing on TV talk shows.  I am no "insider".  

    The way you act, there is no denying why people have said they blocked you. But you won't get away with your idiotic stuff with me Ghoolump (figure it out smart guy, multiple people have said your messages remind of BOTH of them.

    Not sure what your obsession is with me.  Other than perhaps you wish to be the purveyor of my ennui. 

    Oh, and P.S., if it is the hour that you want to trust the "experts", people in the know, etc. Then Watson preferred destination is the Jets. And wouldn't you know it, their new head coach is NOT BLACK. Since it has been REPORTED that the final 2 for Texans was Bienemy and Frazier, lets assume one gets the job. For your "want for a Black coach" (we won't even mention GM again), he would have to Stay in HOU, Go to Pittsburgh, or Go to Miami. 

    I know he would like to go to the Jets.  I heard it on TV.  Saleh is a minority.   Like I said,  I have only been speculating and guessing on his motivation, and repeating what I have heard on TV. 

    So since you went out of your way to want to make it racially motivated (and others besides me on here and certainly almost every report is against that as well), it appears you have a 9.375% chance of even having a conversation of it being about race.

    Like I said, again...the YOU you refer to is not me, but people on TV I have heard discuss the issue.  (and actually, your math is bad...because I have a 100% chance of having a conversation of it being about race.....after all....that is what much of this conversation with you has been, and to be honest, as far as I can tell, you are the ONLY one on here I am having this conversation with.) 

  • About Stafford, he is one of my favorite QBs. I love his attitude and he is tough as nails. He hasn't missed many games and has played through many injuries. 

    I think he has never been the main problem for the low performance by the Lion's and whoever gets him will have a reliable QB. I don't know about the contract, but I wouldn't like seeing him go if I were a Lions fan. 

    I might be mistaken, though. 

  • Just saw Mel Kiper and the other ESPN talking heads talking about the Falcons drafting a QB at 4

    @browns149 said:

    Just saw Mel Kiper and the other ESPN talking heads talking about the Falcons drafting a QB at 4

    It makes sense to me.  I like the Falcons, so I follow them a bit.

    My thinking is why wait until you absolutely need a QB, or any position, when you are in a position to grab that position?  Sure, if Ryan was 27, you don't, but he isn't.  I don't think many are now complaining about the Packers selecting Rodgers when they did, or SF trading for Steve Young.

    Just because a team selects a player doesn't mean they are ready to move on from the incumbent.  To me it's called planning ahead.

  • @browns149 said:

    Just saw Mel Kiper and the other ESPN talking heads talking about the Falcons drafting a QB at 4

    It makes sense to me.  I like the Falcons, so I follow them a bit.

    My thinking is why wait until you absolutely need a QB, or any position, when you are in a position to grab that position?  Sure, if Ryan was 27, you don't, but he isn't.  I don't think many are now complaining about the Packers selecting Rodgers when they did, or SF trading for Steve Young.

    Just because a team selects a player doesn't mean they are ready to move on from the incumbent.  To me it's called planning ahead.

    @ballpeen said:

    It makes sense to me.  I like the Falcons, so I follow them a bit.

    My thinking is why wait until you absolutely need a QB, or any position, when you are in a position to grab that position?  Sure, if Ryan was 27, you don't, but he isn't.  I don't think many are now complaining about the Packers selecting Rodgers when they did, or SF trading for Steve Young.

    Just because a team selects a player doesn't mean they are ready to move on from the incumbent.  To me it's called planning ahead.

    Yes,  but often the incumbent QB gets all butthurt when the team tries to do some future planning.  See:  Packers/Rodgers. 

  • So.   QB Scorecard.   Teams that could   have a change at QB.......later to be filled in with who they did get:

    1. Colts

    2. Saints

    3. Texans

    4. Lions.....Jared Goff....to Lions in trade with Rams

    5. Cowboys

    6. Bears

    7. Jaguars.....belief is that  Trevor Lawrence will be the guy...noting official until the draft. 

    8. Patriots

    9. Broncos

    10.  Washington

    11. Eagles

    12. Panthers

    13. Dolphins

    14. Falcons

    15. 49ers

    16. Steelers

    17.  Packers

    18. Rams?  Matt Stafford to Rams in trade for Goff.

    Over half the teams in the league. 

    Note...this does not include Tampa whom we all believe will have stability with a 44 year old QB at the helm. 

  • So, look at it another way:  which teams do NOT have an issue at QB?  By division:

    AFCE:  Only Buffalo with Josh Allen

    AFCS:  Only  Tennessee with Ryan Tannehill

    AFCN:  Browns/Mayfield;  Bengals/Burrow;  Ravens/Jackson

    AFCW:  Chiefs/Mahomes;   Chargers/Herbert;   RAiders/Carr??

    NFCE: only Giants/Jones

    NFCS: Only Tampa Bay/Brady

    NFCN:  Only Vikings/Cousins

    NFCW:  Seattle/Wilson;   Arizona/Murray

  • Zombo said:

    I can tell you with 100 percent certainty who will be quarterbacking the Packers and Cowboys.

    Z

    I don't know that I can say 100%....but certainly the Packers would be foolish to trade Rodgers.  Its just that he himself is the one making noises.

    Also, consider this on Prescott and the Cowboys.  He WILL be a free agent as of the beginning of the FA season....unless the Cowboys either reach an agreement with him....or they Franchise Tag him at the apparent cost of  37 million dollars for the 2021 season.  I think it is that price tag for him that has been the stumbling block so far in getting him signed.  Dallas may not want to do that.  They have seemed reluctant to do so so far.   And looking on both sides of that coin:  with so many QB openings, Dak may decide he would want to test that market; and Dallas may want to explore alternatives.  

    So, I do think you are on more solid ground with GB than with Dallas. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Watson makes his request/demand for a trade official:

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-officially-requests-trade-from-texans-hours-after-team-names-head-coach/

    OK, not Browns related. But will someone please explain to me- WHY when all the (expert) talking heads are discussing possible landing spots for Watson- nary a peep about the Patriots making a move for him?  

    I totally get the Colts would love to have him with Rivers retiring, but I can't see Houston being willing to trade him within the division. 

  • So, look at it another way:  which teams do NOT have an issue at QB?  By division:

    AFCE:  Only Buffalo with Josh Allen

    AFCS:  Only  Tennessee with Ryan Tannehill

    AFCN:  Browns/Mayfield;  Bengals/Burrow;  Ravens/Jackson

    AFCW:  Chiefs/Mahomes;   Chargers/Herbert;   RAiders/Carr??

    NFCE: only Giants/Jones

    NFCS: Only Tampa Bay/Brady

    NFCN:  Only Vikings/Cousins

    NFCW:  Seattle/Wilson;   Arizona/Murray

    @the-gipper said:

    So, look at it another way:  which teams do NOT have an issue at QB?  By division:

    AFCE:  Only Buffalo with Josh Allen

    AFCS:  Only  Tennessee with Ryan Tannehill

    AFCN:  Browns/Mayfield;  Bengals/Burrow;  Ravens/Jackson

    AFCW:  Chiefs/Mahomes;   Chargers/Herbert;   Raiders/Carr??

    NFCE: only Giants/Jones

    NFCS: Only Tampa Bay/Brady

    NFCN:  Only Vikings/Cousins

    NFCW:  Seattle/Wilson;   Arizona/Murray

    I'll agree with Zombo on this 100%. Barring a great disturbance in the Force, Rodgers and Prescott will be the starting QBs on their respective teams. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Watson makes his request/demand for a trade official:

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-officially-requests-trade-from-texans-hours-after-team-names-head-coach/

    OK, not Browns related. But will someone please explain to me- WHY when all the (expert) talking heads are discussing possible landing spots for Watson- nary a peep about the Patriots making a move for him?  

    I totally get the Colts would love to have him with Rivers retiring, but I can't see Houston being willing to trade him within the division. 

    @hoorta said:

    OK, not Browns related. But will someone please explain to me- WHY when all the (expert) talking heads are discussing possible landing spots for Watson- nary a peep about the Patriots making a move for him?  

    I totally get the Colts would love to have him with Rivers retiring, but I can't see Houston being willing to trade him within the division. 

    More talk has been of Stafford going to the Colts.   

  • @the-gipper said:

    So, look at it another way:  which teams do NOT have an issue at QB?  By division:

    AFCE:  Only Buffalo with Josh Allen

    AFCS:  Only  Tennessee with Ryan Tannehill

    AFCN:  Browns/Mayfield;  Bengals/Burrow;  Ravens/Jackson

    AFCW:  Chiefs/Mahomes;   Chargers/Herbert;   Raiders/Carr??

    NFCE: only Giants/Jones

    NFCS: Only Tampa Bay/Brady

    NFCN:  Only Vikings/Cousins

    NFCW:  Seattle/Wilson;   Arizona/Murray

    I'll agree with Zombo on this 100%. Barring a great disturbance in the Force, Rodgers and Prescott will be the starting QBs on their respective teams. 

    @hoorta said:

    I'll agree with Zombo on this 100%. Barring a great disturbance in the Force, Rodgers and Prescott will be the starting QBs on their respective teams. 

    So, if Zombo is your  Yoda, I guess that makes you  Obi Wan. 

  • @browns149 said:

    Just saw Mel Kiper and the other ESPN talking heads talking about the Falcons drafting a QB at 4

    It makes sense to me.  I like the Falcons, so I follow them a bit.

    My thinking is why wait until you absolutely need a QB, or any position, when you are in a position to grab that position?  Sure, if Ryan was 27, you don't, but he isn't.  I don't think many are now complaining about the Packers selecting Rodgers when they did, or SF trading for Steve Young.

    Just because a team selects a player doesn't mean they are ready to move on from the incumbent.  To me it's called planning ahead.

    @ballpeen said:

    It makes sense to me.  I like the Falcons, so I follow them a bit.

    My thinking is why wait until you absolutely need a QB, or any position, when you are in a position to grab that position?  Sure, if Ryan was 27, you don't, but he isn't.  I don't think many are now complaining about the Packers selecting Rodgers when they did, or SF trading for Steve Young.

    Just because a team selects a player doesn't mean they are ready to move on from the incumbent.  To me it's called planning ahead.

    Except Rogers wasn't selected 4, he dropped a lot and the value was too great to pass up, they got lucky. I guess it depends on how much you think Ryan has left, it you think he has 4 or more years left I pass on a QB and improve the team. The Falcons played better the 2nd half of the season so they may had a quick rebound in order. If they could have one fall to the them in round 2 that would be a different calculus.

  • @hoorta said:

    OK, not Browns related. But will someone please explain to me- WHY when all the (expert) talking heads are discussing possible landing spots for Watson- nary a peep about the Patriots making a move for him?  

    I totally get the Colts would love to have him with Rivers retiring, but I can't see Houston being willing to trade him within the division. 

    More talk has been of Stafford going to the Colts.   

    @the-gipper said:

    More talk has been of Stafford going to the Colts.   

    That makes a ton of sense. Depends on how much the Lions would want. 

    More dum-dum emanating from Houston. What it Watson decides to give them the finger and hold out?  https://www.nfl.com/news/texans-gm-nick-caserio-zero-interest-in-trading-deshaun-watson 

  • About Stafford, he is one of my favorite QBs. I love his attitude and he is tough as nails. He hasn't missed many games and has played through many injuries. 

    I think he has never been the main problem for the low performance by the Lion's and whoever gets him will have a reliable QB. I don't know about the contract, but I wouldn't like seeing him go if I were a Lions fan. 

    I might be mistaken, though. 

    @nero said:

    About Stafford, he is one of my favorite QBs. I love his attitude and he is tough as nails. He hasn't missed many games and has played through many injuries. 

    I think he has never been the main problem for the low performance by the Lion's and whoever gets him will have a reliable QB. I don't know about the contract, but I wouldn't like seeing him go if I were a Lions fan. 

    I might be mistaken, though. 

    Agree for the most part, but I have never thought of Stafford as "that guy". The QB that can close the deal.

    Always thought he was in that Fool's Gold category.

  • @browns149 said:

    Just saw Mel Kiper and the other ESPN talking heads talking about the Falcons drafting a QB at 4

    It makes sense to me.  I like the Falcons, so I follow them a bit.

    My thinking is why wait until you absolutely need a QB, or any position, when you are in a position to grab that position?  Sure, if Ryan was 27, you don't, but he isn't.  I don't think many are now complaining about the Packers selecting Rodgers when they did, or SF trading for Steve Young.

    Just because a team selects a player doesn't mean they are ready to move on from the incumbent.  To me it's called planning ahead.

    @ballpeen said:

    My thinking is why wait until you absolutely need a QB, or any position, when you are in a position to grab that position?  Sure, if Ryan was 27, you don't, but he isn't.  I don't think many are now complaining about the Packers selecting Rodgers when they did, or SF trading for Steve Young.

    Just because a team selects a player doesn't mean they are ready to move on from the incumbent.  To me it's called planning ahead.

    Have I ever mentioned that you always have to be looking for your next QB?

    Seems like I might have, but just not sure... 😉

  • @the-gipper said:

    So, look at it another way:  which teams do NOT have an issue at QB?  By division:

    AFCE:  Only Buffalo with Josh Allen

    AFCS:  Only  Tennessee with Ryan Tannehill

    AFCN:  Browns/Mayfield;  Bengals/Burrow;  Ravens/Jackson

    AFCW:  Chiefs/Mahomes;   Chargers/Herbert;   Raiders/Carr??

    NFCE: only Giants/Jones

    NFCS: Only Tampa Bay/Brady

    NFCN:  Only Vikings/Cousins

    NFCW:  Seattle/Wilson;   Arizona/Murray

    I'll agree with Zombo on this 100%. Barring a great disturbance in the Force, Rodgers and Prescott will be the starting QBs on their respective teams. 

    @hoorta said:

    I'll agree with Zombo on this 100%. Barring a great disturbance in the Force, Rodgers and Prescott will be the starting QBs on their respective teams. 

    Agree on Rodgers... not so sure about Dak.

    Besides some bad feelings DAL has significant cap constraints.