Jets don't miss Mangini
-
Methinks the Jets might be in for some sort of Crennelian experience this season.
Fuck 'em.
Jets don't miss Mangini
Posted by Mike Florio on August 16, 2009 11:20 PM ET
Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times takes a look at the new sheriff in New York -- first-year Jets coach Rex Ryan.
And the praise that players are heaping on Ryan includes some criticism of his predecessor, Eric Mangini.
"You can say what you want and speak your mind," safety Kerry Rhodes told Farmer. "I think it's always best if you can do that, because if you don't you can end up holding so much stuff in that at the end of the day it can be combustible. That's how we ended up with the last coach."
Offensive lineman Damien Woody, who joined the Jets prior to Mangini's third and final year, was particularly candid about the prior regime.
"Here I am 31 years old, I've got my own kids, and I'm married, and here's someone that's not that much older than me -- or whatever the case may be -- telling me what I can and can't do," Woody said "It's so regimented where the game is just not a game anymore. It's not fun. Even when you win it's not fun."
Farmer also mentions that the "mantra" uttered throughout Jets camp is that the new coach "treats us like men."
Meanwhile, the players on Cleveland's pro football team might be wishing that the Browns had hired Ryan instead of Mangini.
via here.
-
Meanwhile, the players on Cleveland's pro football team might be wishing that the Browns had hired Ryan instead of Mangini.
I wonder if that was a jab by Florio. You know, despite how we played Saturday night, we still have a pro team.
-
The Cowboys' players said the same thing when Wade Phillips replaced Parcells. That seems like a better comparison for the Jets' situation than the Browns under Crennel.
-
Methinks the Jets might be in for some sort of Crennelian experience this season.
Fuck 'em.
Jets don't miss Mangini
Posted by Mike Florio on August 16, 2009 11:20 PM ET
Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times takes a look at the new sheriff in New York -- first-year Jets coach Rex Ryan.
And the praise that players are heaping on Ryan includes some criticism of his predecessor, Eric Mangini.
"You can say what you want and speak your mind," safety Kerry Rhodes told Farmer. "I think it's always best if you can do that, because if you don't you can end up holding so much stuff in that at the end of the day it can be combustible. That's how we ended up with the last coach."
Offensive lineman Damien Woody, who joined the Jets prior to Mangini's third and final year, was particularly candid about the prior regime.
"Here I am 31 years old, I've got my own kids, and I'm married, and here's someone that's not that much older than me -- or whatever the case may be -- telling me what I can and can't do," Woody said "It's so regimented where the game is just not a game anymore. It's not fun. Even when you win it's not fun."
Farmer also mentions that the "mantra" uttered throughout Jets camp is that the new coach "treats us like men."
Meanwhile, the players on Cleveland's pro football team might be wishing that the Browns had hired Ryan instead of Mangini.
via here.
mz. said:
Methinks the Jets might be in for some sort of Crennelian experience this season.Fuck 'em.
via here.
And that worries me, mz the pussy.
Not only that, the Jets laid down the last couple of games. Media in NY knew his days were numbered because - in big games down the stretch - the team didn't play hard. Not sure if the D got a sack in their last 2 or 3 games.
I hope he learned something from his days in NY.
-
"Here I am 31 years old, I've got my own kids, and I'm married, and here's someone that's not that much older than me -- or whatever the case may be -- telling me what I can and can't do," Woody said "It's so regimented where the game is just not a game anymore. It's not fun. Even when you win it's not fun."
I think its called "work" woody and millions of people do it everyday for a lot less than you make for playing a game...
Granted the teams that are having fun are always the teams that are winning...but it has a dark side if the fun comes before it is earned...

-
-


When is Goodell going to send both of these guys a letter threatening to fine them if they dont drop 100 pounds?
-
Wow, Ryan is as stacked as Tim Tebow's girlfriend.
To the point of the article, it makes some sense to me. There's being professional and organized, and there's micromanaging. It's not written anywhere that you have to micromanage players' lives to get the most out of them. And I don't buy the "after RAC, the players need to be micromanaged" argument. They're football players, not dogs or children.
Some coaches can pull of the authoritarian thing (Belichick in New England, Coughlin in New York), while it fails for others (Belichick in Cleveland, Parcells in Dallas). The problem that can easily arise is that if things don't get turned around quickly, by around halfway through next year players should start thinking, "Wait a minute...we're just as bad as we were two years ago, and we should listen to this tool yelling at us...why?"
Dennis
-
It'll be interesting to see if some of the first year HC's have success with more of a smiley-faced disciplinarian approach. Jim Schwartz is running a really tough training camp, but he made a point of reaching out to every player on the team within 72 hours of being hired (contrast that with the Rogers offseason drama). Spagnuolo's been tough on the Rams, but he's such a personable guy that he seems to have the locker room happy.
-


When is Goodell going to send both of these guys a letter threatening to fine them if they dont drop 100 pounds?
-
well as long as they keep winning they wont miss Mangini, but as soon as they start losing, im sure they wont mind missing Rex Ryan too ...
Winning cures all ...
-
It'll be interesting to see if some of the first year HC's have success with more of a smiley-faced disciplinarian approach. Jim Schwartz is running a really tough training camp, but he made a point of reaching out to every player on the team within 72 hours of being hired (contrast that with the Rogers offseason drama). Spagnuolo's been tough on the Rams, but he's such a personable guy that he seems to have the locker room happy.
Aloysius said:
It'll be interesting to see if some of the first year HC's have success with more of a smiley-faced disciplinarian approach. Jim Schwartz is running a really tough training camp, but he made a point of reaching out to every player on the team within 72 hours of being hired (contrast that with the Rogers offseason drama). Spagnuolo's been tough on the Rams, but he's such a personable guy that he seems to have the locker room happy.I just wonder how any version of smiley-faced (either disciplinarian or not) works. Especially when taking into account all of the alpha-male types they're trying to corral.
-
AdaM said:
Reid had 9 links added to that watch.And the wedding band is his son's BMX bike wheel (before he could pawn it for smack).
-
-
God, I am SO SICK of so-called "professionals" complaining about -- HORROR OF HORRORS! -- BEING ASKED TO DO THEIR JOBS PROPERLY!!!
Oh, was the game NOT FUN ENOUGH for you, Damien? Oh, was your BOSS too DEMANDING of you? Did it make you SAD to have to DO THINGS YOUR BOSS'S way? Was that UNCOMFORTABLE for you? Oh, and do you not get paid enough money to play the game THAT'S NOT FUN for you? Because the MONEY isn't enough, it should be FUN too?
Well, I'll tell you what, Damien. Why don't you just quit this HORRIBLE "profession" that is NOT FUN ENOUGH for you? Just walk away from the NOT FUN ENOUGH GAME that you PLAY for a living.
Go get a real job. They are LOADS of fun. No petty, annoying, micro-managing bosses out there in the work world. No pesky MILLIONS OF DOLLARS that only get in the way of all that FUN you'll be having every day AT WORK.
Stupid **$*#$#. Every time I read about a player complaining about Mangini, the more I like him.
-
God, I am SO SICK of so-called "professionals" complaining about -- HORROR OF HORRORS! -- BEING ASKED TO DO THEIR JOBS PROPERLY!!!
Oh, was the game NOT FUN ENOUGH for you, Damien? Oh, was your BOSS too DEMANDING of you? Did it make you SAD to have to DO THINGS YOUR BOSS'S way? Was that UNCOMFORTABLE for you? Oh, and do you not get paid enough money to play the game THAT'S NOT FUN for you? Because the MONEY isn't enough, it should be FUN too?
Well, I'll tell you what, Damien. Why don't you just quit this HORRIBLE "profession" that is NOT FUN ENOUGH for you? Just walk away from the NOT FUN ENOUGH GAME that you PLAY for a living.
Go get a real job. They are LOADS of fun. No petty, annoying, micro-managing bosses out there in the work world. No pesky MILLIONS OF DOLLARS that only get in the way of all that FUN you'll be having every day AT WORK.
Stupid **$*#$#. Every time I read about a player complaining about Mangini, the more I like him.
God, I am SO SICK of so-called "professionals" complaining about -- HORROR OF HORRORS! -- BEING ASKED TO DO THEIR JOBS PROPERLY!!!
Oh, was the game NOT FUN ENOUGH for you, Damien? Oh, was your BOSS too DEMANDING of you? Did it make you SAD to have to DO THINGS YOUR BOSS'S way? Was that UNCOMFORTABLE for you? Oh, and do you not get paid enough money to play the game THAT'S NOT FUN for you? Because the MONEY isn't enough, it should be FUN too?
Well, I'll tell you what, Damien. Why don't you just quit this HORRIBLE "profession" that is NOT FUN ENOUGH for you? Just walk away from the NOT FUN ENOUGH GAME that you PLAY for a living.
Go get a real job. They are LOADS of fun. No petty, annoying, micro-managing bosses out there in the work world. No pesky MILLIONS OF DOLLARS that only get in the way of all that FUN you'll be having every day AT WORK.
Stupid **$*#$#. Every time I read about a player complaining about Mangini, the more I like him.
I wish I could click the "thanks" button a thousand times.
-
God, I am SO SICK of so-called "professionals" complaining about -- HORROR OF HORRORS! -- BEING ASKED TO DO THEIR JOBS PROPERLY!!!
Oh, was the game NOT FUN ENOUGH for you, Damien? Oh, was your BOSS too DEMANDING of you? Did it make you SAD to have to DO THINGS YOUR BOSS'S way? Was that UNCOMFORTABLE for you? Oh, and do you not get paid enough money to play the game THAT'S NOT FUN for you? Because the MONEY isn't enough, it should be FUN too?
Well, I'll tell you what, Damien. Why don't you just quit this HORRIBLE "profession" that is NOT FUN ENOUGH for you? Just walk away from the NOT FUN ENOUGH GAME that you PLAY for a living.
Go get a real job. They are LOADS of fun. No petty, annoying, micro-managing bosses out there in the work world. No pesky MILLIONS OF DOLLARS that only get in the way of all that FUN you'll be having every day AT WORK.
Stupid **$*#$#. Every time I read about a player complaining about Mangini, the more I like him.
God, I am SO SICK of so-called "professionals" complaining about -- HORROR OF HORRORS! -- BEING ASKED TO DO THEIR JOBS PROPERLY!!!
Oh, was the game NOT FUN ENOUGH for you, Damien? Oh, was your BOSS too DEMANDING of you? Did it make you SAD to have to DO THINGS YOUR BOSS'S way? Was that UNCOMFORTABLE for you? Oh, and do you not get paid enough money to play the game THAT'S NOT FUN for you? Because the MONEY isn't enough, it should be FUN too?
Well, I'll tell you what, Damien. Why don't you just quit this HORRIBLE "profession" that is NOT FUN ENOUGH for you? Just walk away from the NOT FUN ENOUGH GAME that you PLAY for a living.
Go get a real job. They are LOADS of fun. No petty, annoying, micro-managing bosses out there in the work world. No pesky MILLIONS OF DOLLARS that only get in the way of all that FUN you'll be having every day AT WORK.
Stupid **$*#$#. Every time I read about a player complaining about Mangini, the more I like him.
One thing to add here. When players have to go and get a new contract they talk about their sport being "a job" and how "this is how I make my living" or "I've got to feed my family". But when they feel like they're being treated unfairly all of a sudden it's "this is a game, it should be fun."
Bottom line, this is the NY media getting back at Mangini for basically telling them to get bent whenever they sought information from him. I hope those same Jets players and beat writers are having "fun" when Tom Brady throws his fifth TD at the Meadowlands this year. God, I'm sick of this anti-Mangini rhetoric.
-
Athletes are all sissies nowadays. Don't get high blood pressure over it. It's the way it is. It's the way the country is now with all the lazy people who don't want to work or pay their way. Welcome to 2009.
-
Athletes are all sissies nowadays. Don't get high blood pressure over it. It's the way it is. It's the way the country is now with all the lazy people who don't want to work or pay their way. Welcome to 2009.
Athletes are all sissies nowadays. Don't get high blood pressure over it. It's the way it is. It's the way the country is now with all the lazy people who don't want to work or pay their way. Welcome to 2009.
Oh come on, that is the point of the economic system the way it is now. Consumption and satisfying carnal/materialistic desires.
Automation,outsourcing. All the harder jobs are gone and we outsource the ones we do have, to illegals. You only work hard enough to satisfy the desires to the extint you want those desires satisfied, everybody has different levels. Is it little surprise that out of that lifestyle control came greed,masturbation(which produced a bubble in porn), credit fetishes, rise in overweight people(especially in the poor who can buy cheap food that is bad for your health). Football just followed suit.
Crennel's camps were a sign of the times. Mangini is still back during the 1960's when the US was at its height as a producer and we are seeing signs of rebellion.
-
God, I am SO SICK of so-called "professionals" complaining about -- HORROR OF HORRORS! -- BEING ASKED TO DO THEIR JOBS PROPERLY!!!
Oh, was the game NOT FUN ENOUGH for you, Damien? Oh, was your BOSS too DEMANDING of you? Did it make you SAD to have to DO THINGS YOUR BOSS'S way? Was that UNCOMFORTABLE for you? Oh, and do you not get paid enough money to play the game THAT'S NOT FUN for you? Because the MONEY isn't enough, it should be FUN too?
Well, I'll tell you what, Damien. Why don't you just quit this HORRIBLE "profession" that is NOT FUN ENOUGH for you? Just walk away from the NOT FUN ENOUGH GAME that you PLAY for a living.
Go get a real job. They are LOADS of fun. No petty, annoying, micro-managing bosses out there in the work world. No pesky MILLIONS OF DOLLARS that only get in the way of all that FUN you'll be having every day AT WORK.
Stupid **$*#$#. Every time I read about a player complaining about Mangini, the more I like him.
One thing to add here. When players have to go and get a new contract they talk about their sport being "a job" and how "this is how I make my living" or "I've got to feed my family". But when they feel like they're being treated unfairly all of a sudden it's "this is a game, it should be fun."
Bottom line, this is the NY media getting back at Mangini for basically telling them to get bent whenever they sought information from him. I hope those same Jets players and beat writers are having "fun" when Tom Brady throws his fifth TD at the Meadowlands this year. God, I'm sick of this anti-Mangini rhetoric.
Bottom line, this is the NY media getting back at Mangini for basically telling them to get bent whenever they sought information from him. I hope those same Jets players and beat writers are having "fun" when Tom Brady throws his fifth TD at the Meadowlands this year. God, I'm sick of this anti-Mangini rhetoric.
I agree entirely. I have to be up front about the fact that I am a Mangini fan but I also know enough about what went on behind the scenes (not a TON mind you...but I saw it with my own eyes and ears) to tell you that the media in NY is so full of crap. It was really eye-opening for me. Nonetheless, I would offer that once I saw the inside...I paid VERY close attention to inaccuracies or agendas in the media. I would cite one example (and I wish I had an exact quote but it was on the radio and I was in my car) of Adam Schein who is a loudmouth on NFL Radio but is also a NY personality on the TV sports channels. He has been all over Mangini from day one. When they were 8-3 last year, he was still quite critical and he seemed (to me) to lead the charge to fire Mangini. I'm not saying he had no right to be critical but I can tell you that in three years of listening to someone...if they bang on the negative and never give him credit...then that's not even-handed and it's suggestive of an agenda.
I may not like Tom Brady but when he up and does something impressive, I will give him the respect of saying "that was impressive".
I am NOT saying that Eric didn't make some things worse by sticking to his "hush hush" style. That just allowed the media to drive the issue.
I also happen to know some people who work at a four-letter network who've opened my eyes to what news is "pushed" and what isn't. Boston or NY always leads. Once you're a favorite...you're a favorite. Once they decide you're out...you're out. You guys probably knew that already though.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login