First Round Draft Philosophy
-
The Lions GM who acquired all those extra picks for Stafford from the Rams... Is the very guy who was responsible for the evaluations on the non-first-round players Rams snagged and now are starters [Jordan Fuller, etc].
He had a pretty amazing hit rate on those picks when with the Rams, I'll be watching with popcorn to see if he can do it again with the Lions.
-
The Lions GM who acquired all those extra picks for Stafford from the Rams... Is the very guy who was responsible for the evaluations on the non-first-round players Rams snagged and now are starters [Jordan Fuller, etc].
He had a pretty amazing hit rate on those picks when with the Rams, I'll be watching with popcorn to see if he can do it again with the Lions.
The Lions GM who acquired all those extra picks for Stafford from the Rams... Is the very guy who was responsible for the evaluations on the non-first-round players Rams snagged and now are starters [Jordan Fuller, etc].
He had a pretty amazing hit rate on those picks when with the Rams, I'll be watching with popcorn to see if he can do it again with the Lions.
So, you think before too long the Lions could become relevant? Of course, they have to hit on those draft picks.
If I recall the stat correctly, the Lions have won all of one postseason game since the 1970 merger.
On the other hand, the Rams, using their philosophy really feel they don't have to worry about that. They got Cooks, Ramsey, and Stafford, all guys they knew were good in lieu of those draft choices....which they may trade and turn around for other veteran players if the patter holds true. As I see it Goff was really just a throw-in in this trade. The picks were the thing for the Lions.
-
1) if you have a shot at a franchise QB, take him
2) trade back if possible to accumulate more lottery tickets
3) 95% of the time just take BPA
-
Since 2010 30 qbs have been drafted in the first round only 14 are with the team that drafted them. And of those 14, 7 are still on rookie deals and 2-3 might be off their team soon
-
1) if you have a shot at a franchise QB, take him
2) trade back if possible to accumulate more lottery tickets
3) 95% of the time just take BPA
1) if you have a shot at a franchise QB, take him
2) trade back if possible to accumulate more lottery tickets
3) 95% of the time just take BPA
Uhm, OK, that is one philosophy, but what about what the current Rams/old Redskins philosophy or turning/trading draft picks for current veterans rather than taking on rookies?
-
Since 2010 30 qbs have been drafted in the first round only 14 are with the team that drafted them. And of those 14, 7 are still on rookie deals and 2-3 might be off their team soon
Since 2010 30 qbs have been drafted in the first round only 14 are with the team that drafted them. And of those 14, 7 are still on rookie deals and 2-3 might be off their team soon
The article actually documents 34 first round QBs. And of those, 14 can be pretty much considered busts. (Browns contributed Weeden/Manziel) And several others are on the verge of mediocrity. And then several are only 1-2 years in and perhaps too early to tell.
Which I don't think these percentages are any surprise.
-
1) if you have a shot at a franchise QB, take him
2) trade back if possible to accumulate more lottery tickets
3) 95% of the time just take BPA
Uhm, OK, that is one philosophy, but what about what the current Rams/old Redskins philosophy or turning/trading draft picks for current veterans rather than taking on rookies?
Uhm, OK, that is one philosophy, but what about what the current Rams/old Redskins philosophy or turning/trading draft picks for current veterans rather than taking on rookies?
Short sited and a bad idea unless you're literally only missing one piece and in a win now mode
-
Since 2010 30 qbs have been drafted in the first round only 14 are with the team that drafted them. And of those 14, 7 are still on rookie deals and 2-3 might be off their team soon
The article actually documents 34 first round QBs. And of those, 14 can be pretty much considered busts. (Browns contributed Weeden/Manziel) And several others are on the verge of mediocrity. And then several are only 1-2 years in and perhaps too early to tell.
Which I don't think these percentages are any surprise.
The article actually documents 34 first round QBs. And of those, 14 can be pretty much considered busts. (Browns contributed Weeden/Manziel) And several others are on the verge of mediocrity. And then several are only 1-2 years in and perhaps too early to tell.
Which I don't think these percentages are any surprise.
It just goes to show that drafting a Qb in the first round is a 50/50 bet at best
Drafting a defensive stud is a way better chance of hitting
I’m glad we have smart people picking players, other than guys who go by their gut
-
The article actually documents 34 first round QBs. And of those, 14 can be pretty much considered busts. (Browns contributed Weeden/Manziel) And several others are on the verge of mediocrity. And then several are only 1-2 years in and perhaps too early to tell.
Which I don't think these percentages are any surprise.
It just goes to show that drafting a Qb in the first round is a 50/50 bet at best
Drafting a defensive stud is a way better chance of hitting
I’m glad we have smart people picking players, other than guys who go by their gut
It just goes to show that drafting a Qb in the first round is a 50/50 bet at best
Drafting a defensive stud is a way better chance of hitting
I’m glad we have smart people picking players, other than guys who go by their gut
I might like to see some stats on defensive first rounders. The Browns have had more than their share of busts there as well:
Danny Shelton....is a bust as far as the Browns is concerned
Justin Gilbert
Mingo...is more or less
Kameron Wimbley
Gerard Warren
Courtney Brown
And going back to the Craig Powells, the Clifford Charltons, the Mike Junkins.
I know that some of these guys went on to play a long time (Warren/Mingo/Wimbly) at mediocre levels. I think they can still be viewed as busts.
Maybe it would have behooved the Browns to make a trade of their pick for a proven veteran than to have taken all those guys. That is the crapshoot with the draft. Sometimes you roll 7, sometimes snake eyes. I guess the teams that have elected to move those picks all the time prefer to try to make the odds ever in their favor. (apologies to The Hunger Games)
-
Jalen Ramsey - great deal for the Rams. It worked trading away the pick. He’s eating your cap though- worth the money as he plays each week. I like Bigger cover corners though that are physical.
Whitworth was signed and he’s either retired or should be retired.
You know my feelings on the Stafford deal- Stafford for Goff and two premium picks along with 3rd. No way and again wait and see what they need to pay Stafford. I think the lunacy of this deal will show more.
The Browns at 26 - is an elite defender available? More importantly will that elite defender take cap room away from guys that we need to resign in the next two years.
I think I’m in the minority but we need a stud interior pass rusher or a stud bookend pass rusher as long as we have Joe Woods. I want to like Joe but he needs big time dudes upfront to account for his conservative ways with relying on the front 4 to get pressure.
-
Jalen Ramsey - great deal for the Rams. It worked trading away the pick. He’s eating your cap though- worth the money as he plays each week. I like Bigger cover corners though that are physical.
Whitworth was signed and he’s either retired or should be retired.
You know my feelings on the Stafford deal- Stafford for Goff and two premium picks along with 3rd. No way and again wait and see what they need to pay Stafford. I think the lunacy of this deal will show more.
The Browns at 26 - is an elite defender available? More importantly will that elite defender take cap room away from guys that we need to resign in the next two years.
I think I’m in the minority but we need a stud interior pass rusher or a stud bookend pass rusher as long as we have Joe Woods. I want to like Joe but he needs big time dudes upfront to account for his conservative ways with relying on the front 4 to get pressure.
Jalen Ramsey - great deal for the Rams. It worked trading away the pick. He’s eating your cap though- worth the money as he plays each week. I like Bigger cover corners though that are physical.
Whitworth was signed and he’s either retired or should be retired.
You know my feelings on the Stafford deal- Stafford for Goff and two premium picks along with 3rd. No way and again wait and see what they need to pay Stafford. I think the lunacy of this deal will show more.
The Browns at 26 - is an elite defender available? More importantly will that elite defender take cap room away from guys that we need to resign in the next two years.
I think I’m in the minority but we need a stud interior pass rusher or a stud bookend pass rusher as long as we have Joe Woods. I want to like Joe but he needs big time dudes upfront to account for his conservative ways with relying on the front 4 to get pressure.
Jordan Elliot? Or is it Elliot Jordan?
Or who would you have in mind to draft?
-
Jalen Ramsey - great deal for the Rams. It worked trading away the pick. He’s eating your cap though- worth the money as he plays each week. I like Bigger cover corners though that are physical.
Whitworth was signed and he’s either retired or should be retired.
You know my feelings on the Stafford deal- Stafford for Goff and two premium picks along with 3rd. No way and again wait and see what they need to pay Stafford. I think the lunacy of this deal will show more.
The Browns at 26 - is an elite defender available? More importantly will that elite defender take cap room away from guys that we need to resign in the next two years.
I think I’m in the minority but we need a stud interior pass rusher or a stud bookend pass rusher as long as we have Joe Woods. I want to like Joe but he needs big time dudes upfront to account for his conservative ways with relying on the front 4 to get pressure.
Jordan Elliot? Or is it Elliot Jordan?
Or who would you have in mind to draft?
Jordan Elliot? Or is it Elliot Jordan?
Or who would you have in mind to draft?
Elliot is depth. He wasn’t great depth last season. He’s a third round pick- those are guys that you develop over time so let’s wait and see.
At 26, Gregory Rousseau, Miami DE Looks the part and produced too, but he’s still a project. I think he’s taken well before us.
I don’t see a DT at 26 that I like.
I’d be more inclined to trade this year out of the first round or trade the pick for a proven commodity.
Further down the board 3rd round Jaylen Twyman DT Pitt. He just disengages from interior lineman differently (better) than most. A little undersized - strictly a 3rd down get the QB guy. I think we need a few of those though.
Give me Dlineman with wrestling backgrounds. Their hands and balance are typically always elite.
-
Jordan Elliot? Or is it Elliot Jordan?
Or who would you have in mind to draft?
Elliot is depth. He wasn’t great depth last season. He’s a third round pick- those are guys that you develop over time so let’s wait and see.
At 26, Gregory Rousseau, Miami DE Looks the part and produced too, but he’s still a project. I think he’s taken well before us.
I don’t see a DT at 26 that I like.
I’d be more inclined to trade this year out of the first round or trade the pick for a proven commodity.
Further down the board 3rd round Jaylen Twyman DT Pitt. He just disengages from interior lineman differently (better) than most. A little undersized - strictly a 3rd down get the QB guy. I think we need a few of those though.
Give me Dlineman with wrestling backgrounds. Their hands and balance are typically always elite.
Elliot is depth. He wasn’t great depth last season. He’s a third round pick- those are guys that you develop over time so let’s wait and see.
At 26, Gregory Rousseau, Miami DE Looks the part and produced too, but he’s still a project. I think he’s taken well before us.
I don’t see a DT at 26 that I like.
What about Barmore of Alabama?
I’d be more inclined to trade this year out of the first round or trade the pick for a proven commodity.
Further down the board 3rd round Jaylen Twyman DT Pitt. He just disengages from interior lineman differently (better) than most. A little undersized - strictly a 3rd down get the QB guy. I think we need a few of those though.
Give me Dlineman with wrestling backgrounds. Their hands and balance are typically always elite.
Like Bob Golic was
-
So...I guess this begs this question:
Would you be willing to see the Browns trade away their first round pick this year to get a proven veteran? Probably somewhere on defense.
And who...within reason would you trade our first round pick for? (within reason meaning: plausibly realistic. We aren't getting Aaron Donald for the #26 pick).
So...I guess this begs this question:
Would you be willing to see the Browns trade away their first round pick this year to get a proven veteran? Probably somewhere on defense.
And who...within reason would you trade our first round pick for? (within reason meaning: plausibly realistic. We aren't getting Aaron Donald for the #26 pick).
NO would rather draft BPA and have the rookie contract
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login