Skip to content

District 9

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
27 18 4.4k
  • I saw it last night as well, and I wasn't too impressed. I thought the idea was great, but it there were just too many plot holes.

    And I'm sorry, but Signs sucked. Aliens that die from water? Come on. That would be like us invading a plant that is 70% covered in acid.

    @bowman said:

    I saw it last night as well, and I wasn't too impressed. I thought the idea was great, but it there were just too many plot holes.

    And I'm sorry, but Signs sucked. Aliens that die from water? Come on. That would be like us invading a plant that is 70% covered in acid.

    Signs blew.

    M Night Shamalamadingdong had exactly ONE good film in him.

    PS Day Of The Triffids ring a bell?

    WSS

  • @bowman said:

    I saw it last night as well, and I wasn't too impressed. I thought the idea was great, but it there were just too many plot holes.

    And I'm sorry, but Signs sucked. Aliens that die from water? Come on. That would be like us invading a plant that is 70% covered in acid.

    I am like you, if the Sci Fi totally defies science, math, or logic, it is hard to get lost in it. Even more so when the movie tries to shock you rather than just entertain you. You know, Star Trek......... we know its bs but we LOVE IT.

    With signs, here is the deal, in the summer ya got 80 - 90% humidity in the air. That water doesn't bother the Alien, but a bucket of water is different how?

    I liked the pitter patter scare techniques across the roof, but the punch line of Signs was "watered down", forgive the pun.

    @big-anders said:

    With signs, here is the deal, in the summer ya got 80 - 90% humidity in the air. That water doesn't bother the Alien, but a bucket of water is different how?

    LOL, I never thought of that...

    I still like the movie.

  • @danamal said:

    Signs blew.

    M Night Shamalamadingdong had exactly ONE good film in him.

    Good call,

    Unbreakable was ok

    Barely OK and I gave him the benefit of the sophomore jinx.

    But then into the crapper.

    WSS

    but if I ever met him in person I would have to demand $20 and an apology for making me sit through lady in the water,jesus was that bad.

  • My Take: weirdly entertaining. This movie really is for the mature audience not only for the level of blood and gross but also for the complex infusion of drama and originality in a sci-fi movie that does require some thinking. The movie is shot more like the Cloverfield but the way the it incorporates complex CGI animated aliens and special effects is amazing.

    Story: An alien aircraft hovers on top of Johannesburgh SA. international soldiers enter the aircraft and rescue malnourished aliens and set them up in a refuge camp in SA called D9. Locals are not happy and want the aliens moved else where. Enter MNU a private organization who's job is to relocate these aliens - only they have another job in mid - obtain the alien weaponry. Add to the mix some nigerian smugglers who wish to give food to aliens in exchange for arms. the major catch though is that the alien weapons work only with their DNA and not the humans.

    Wikus is a nice MNU officer who leads the operation to evict these aliens. In one of his regular visits he gets sprayed with alien goo and slowly the goo starts changing his DNA to cause him to turn into one of them. Suddenly he is wanted by the company who can now use him to test the alien weaponry. Seeing the horrific experiments the company performs on the aliens and their own plans for him he gets disgusted and manages to escape and is forced to hide in D9. in D9, he befriends christopher, an alien and his son. They both have designed a way to make the alien ship operational again and want to escape earth. The rest of the movie is about how Wikus helps Christophe and his son escape from earth.

    Conclusion: This movie has everything to become a huge summer blockbuster - a well thought of story, originality, amazing and realistic graphics, unique visualization, gore, a set of well placed actors, emotions - real human emotions, no hero bullshit all in all a nice movie to watch for those who value story and quality. The movie ends with some questions but perhaps there are plans for a District 10 ?

    @brownindian said:

    My Take: weirdly entertaining. This movie really is for the mature audience not only for the level of blood and gross but also for the complex infusion of drama and originality in a sci-fi movie that does require some thinking. The movie is shot more like the Cloverfield but the way the it incorporates complex CGI animated aliens and special effects is amazing.

    Story: An alien aircraft hovers on top of Johannesburgh SA. international soldiers enter the aircraft and rescue malnourished aliens and set them up in a refuge camp in SA called D9. Locals are not happy and want the aliens moved else where. Enter MNU a private organization who's job is to relocate these aliens - only they have another job in mid - obtain the alien weaponry. Add to the mix some nigerian smugglers who wish to give food to aliens in exchange for arms. the major catch though is that the alien weapons work only with their DNA and not the humans.

    Wikus is a nice MNU officer who leads the operation to evict these aliens. In one of his regular visits he gets sprayed with alien goo and slowly the goo starts changing his DNA to cause him to turn into one of them. Suddenly he is wanted by the company who can now use him to test the alien weaponry. Seeing the horrific experiments the company performs on the aliens and their own plans for him he gets disgusted and manages to escape and is forced to hide in D9. in D9, he befriends christopher, an alien and his son. They both have designed a way to make the alien ship operational again and want to escape earth. The rest of the movie is about how Wikus helps Christophe and his son escape from earth.

    Conclusion: This movie has everything to become a huge summer blockbuster - a well thought of story, originality, amazing and realistic graphics, unique visualization, gore, a set of well placed actors, emotions - real human emotions, no hero bullshit all in all a nice movie to watch for those who value story and quality. The movie ends with some questions but perhaps there are plans for a District 10 ?

    I agree with you on this movie. It was totally different. A unique piece of filmaking. Perhaps that is because there was not apparently one single bit of "Hollywood" involved with it. Some of the gory stuff was somewhat over the top, but then, maybe weird experiments on aliens WOULD involve over the top gore.

  • One of the silliest films. About nothing.

  • I have to totally agree with you Greg, going into this movie I knew it was about alien refuges on Earth. After seeing it, there is much more about District 9 and its inhabitants. This is one of the greatest Sci-fi movies I have seen in a while, I loved it. You also did a great job on the review, not giving away the story, which I liked. Keep up the good work.

  • I haven't seen it, but I do LOVE that style of film, the movie looks like a combination of cloverfield (which I though was awesome) and signs.

    @playgroundlegend said:

    I haven't seen it, but I do LOVE that style of film, the movie looks like a combination of cloverfield (which I though was awesome) and signs.

    I have Cloverfield as one of the 5 worst movies I ever seen..

  • @playgroundlegend said:

    I haven't seen it, but I do LOVE that style of film, the movie looks like a combination of cloverfield (which I though was awesome) and signs.

    I have Cloverfield as one of the 5 worst movies I ever seen..

    @b86b said:

    I have Cloverfield as one of the 5 worst movies I ever seen..

    What a turd.

    Along with Paranormal and Blair Witch.

    WSS

  • Saw District 9 last night.

    Big screen Blu Ray.

    Decent FX but the hand held jitter annoyed me the South African accents annoyed me the plot and acting was a bit too frenetic and though I wouldn't call it a P O S I didn't enjoy it at all.

    WSS

  • I have to totally agree with you Greg, going into this movie I knew it was about alien refuges on Earth. After seeing it, there is much more about District 9 and its inhabitants. This is one of the greatest Sci-fi movies I have seen in a while, I loved it. You also did a great job on the review, not giving away the story, which I liked. Keep up the good work.

    @elinnice73 said:

    I have to totally agree with you Greg, going into this movie I knew it was about alien refuges on Earth. After seeing it, there is much more about District 9 and its inhabitants. This is one of the greatest Sci-fi movies I have seen in a while, I loved it. You also did a great job on the review, not giving away the story, which I liked. Keep up the good work.

    I agree with you. This is by far one of the best sifi movies in a while and I am shocked there is a thread bashing it.