Skip to content

What/Who are you currently listening to?

Barber Shop Talk
917 32 36.3k 1
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #4

    And if my funk does not involve poodles, I usually like it coming from Uptown.....old style:

  • Just felt it necessary given the conversation in the Superbowl thread.  Maybe a place where someone finds something they like randomly with what we share.

    You can present your music with or without any other commentary. I tend to choose the latter.

    Just a great jam, IMHO.  I love funk, and if you pay attention to the lyrics - a commentary on hip hop (at the time) with what record executives wanted the band to produce, but what they felt ended up doing - rock n roll shelters all.

    @d-bone.... Like I said, if you ever work up the nerve to listen.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @tiamat63 said:

    Just felt it necessary given the conversation in the Superbowl thread.  Maybe a place where someone finds something they like randomly with what we share.

    You can present your music with or without any other commentary. I tend to choose the latter.

    Just a great jam, IMHO.  I love funk, and if you pay attention to the lyrics - a commentary on hip hop (at the time) with what record executives wanted the band to produce, but what they felt ended up doing - rock n roll shelters all.

    @d-bone.... Like I said, if you ever work up the nerve to listen.

    I just happened to see Jimmy Fallon the other night and saw where Questlove won an award for something was it this album ?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Just felt it necessary given the conversation in the Superbowl thread.  Maybe a place where someone finds something they like randomly with what we share.

    You can present your music with or without any other commentary. I tend to choose the latter.

    Just a great jam, IMHO.  I love funk, and if you pay attention to the lyrics - a commentary on hip hop (at the time) with what record executives wanted the band to produce, but what they felt ended up doing - rock n roll shelters all.

    @d-bone.... Like I said, if you ever work up the nerve to listen.

    I just happened to see Jimmy Fallon the other night and saw where Questlove won an award for something was it this album ?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @mjp28 said:

    I just happened to see Jimmy Fallon the other night and saw where Questlove won an award for something was it this album ?

    Honestly couldn't tell you.  If you're talking a recent award then it couldn't be this particular album, Because it came out when I was a kid - early 2000's. 

  • @mjp28 said:

    I just happened to see Jimmy Fallon the other night and saw where Questlove won an award for something was it this album ?

    Honestly couldn't tell you.  If you're talking a recent award then it couldn't be this particular album, Because it came out when I was a kid - early 2000's. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @tiamat63 said:

    Honestly couldn't tell you.  If you're talking a recent award then it couldn't be this particular album, Because it came out when I was a kid - early 2000's. 

    46TH ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS (2003)
    Nominations
    BEST RAP ALBUM
    Phrenology
     
    But I found it.....  

    Questlove’s Summer of Soul Documentary Wins Sundance 2021 Grand Jury Prize

    The Roots bandleader’s directorial debut is about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival 
     
  • @tiamat63 said:

    Honestly couldn't tell you.  If you're talking a recent award then it couldn't be this particular album, Because it came out when I was a kid - early 2000's. 

    46TH ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS (2003)
    Nominations
    BEST RAP ALBUM
    Phrenology
     
    But I found it.....  

    Questlove’s Summer of Soul Documentary Wins Sundance 2021 Grand Jury Prize

    The Roots bandleader’s directorial debut is about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival 
     
    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @mjp28 said:

    46TH ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS (2003)
    Nominations
    BEST RAP ALBUM
    Phrenology
     
    But I found it.....  

    Questlove’s Summer of Soul Documentary Wins Sundance 2021 Grand Jury Prize

    The Roots bandleader’s directorial debut is about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival 
     

    Yeah, the man is probably the biggest musical influence in the group. They did a piece on NPR's tiny desk that was good.   Can't leave out Black Thought though, very underrated lyricist.  Actually had no idea who he was until I heard him on a Linkin Park album once upon a time.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #9

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I just received the dvd this if from last night. I collect show dvds. Well over 200 at this point

    Accept, with the Czech national Symphony ???

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #11

    Generally I'm not into classic hard-rock and metal with additional strings or brass... But that was pretty damn solid.  

    Credit to the sound engineers as well,  terrific balance.

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    I listen to the rock station here. Being in West Virginia, there isn’t a lot of good rock stations. Mostly country, which I don’t like that much 

  • AxeA Axe

    I just received the dvd this if from last night. I collect show dvds. Well over 200 at this point

    Accept, with the Czech national Symphony ???

    ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @axe said:

    I just received the dvd this if from last night. I collect show dvds. Well over 200 at this point

    Accept, with the Czech national Symphony ???

    I saw these guys I believe it was at harpos in detriot  is was fucking great

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #14

    been getting into italain and japanese psychedelic music lately

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #15
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I'm on Audible and just finished listening to The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It was an excellent novel about a young black boy who is "saved" from slavery by John Brown during "Bloody Kansas" days before the inevitable Harper's Ferry Raid of 1859. It's full of humor and very deep understanding of the black experience up through the years even though it ends in 1859. Very well worth the journey which is based on real history as well as this fictional main character who "passes" as a girl for self preservation. Closest thing to a Black Huck Finn type of adventure out there. Mark Twain would approve.

  • I'm on Audible and just finished listening to The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It was an excellent novel about a young black boy who is "saved" from slavery by John Brown during "Bloody Kansas" days before the inevitable Harper's Ferry Raid of 1859. It's full of humor and very deep understanding of the black experience up through the years even though it ends in 1859. Very well worth the journey which is based on real history as well as this fictional main character who "passes" as a girl for self preservation. Closest thing to a Black Huck Finn type of adventure out there. Mark Twain would approve.

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'm on Audible and just finished listening to The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It was an excellent novel about a young black boy who is "saved" from slavery by John Brown during "Bloody Kansas" days before the inevitable Harper's Ferry Raid of 1859. It's full of humor and very deep understanding of the black experience up through the years even though it ends in 1859. Very well worth the journey which is based on real history as well as this fictional main character who "passes" as a girl for self preservation. Closest thing to a Black Huck Finn type of adventure out there. Mark Twain would approve.

    How BLM.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I'm on Audible and just finished listening to The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It was an excellent novel about a young black boy who is "saved" from slavery by John Brown during "Bloody Kansas" days before the inevitable Harper's Ferry Raid of 1859. It's full of humor and very deep understanding of the black experience up through the years even though it ends in 1859. Very well worth the journey which is based on real history as well as this fictional main character who "passes" as a girl for self preservation. Closest thing to a Black Huck Finn type of adventure out there. Mark Twain would approve.

    How BLM.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How BLM.

    DH, I've got no issue with you.  But give it a fucking rest in my threads man, thanks.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I'm on Audible and just finished listening to The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It was an excellent novel about a young black boy who is "saved" from slavery by John Brown during "Bloody Kansas" days before the inevitable Harper's Ferry Raid of 1859. It's full of humor and very deep understanding of the black experience up through the years even though it ends in 1859. Very well worth the journey which is based on real history as well as this fictional main character who "passes" as a girl for self preservation. Closest thing to a Black Huck Finn type of adventure out there. Mark Twain would approve.

    How BLM.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How BLM.

    The novel was published in 2013 which is way before BLM. You could have said the same about Uncle Tom's Cabin or Huckleberry Finn. It just happens to be an excellent novel that make you laugh not unlike Huck Finn does. If I thought it was political I would have posted it over there instead of here where we post things that are entertaining, which it certainly is.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    This past weekends Garage Jam was.... GodSmack 

    fitting video  

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Godsmack was another nu-metal band I just couldn't stand despite having a great vocalist.  Having said that, their acoustic work like this is something I enjoy.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by Axe
    #22

    Speaking of great vocalists, this woman is incredible. Another from the greatest open air music festival on earth. Wacken...

     I've seen Nightwish and I don't know how tall Floor Jansan is but I'm 6'5 and we seemed to be eye to eye.

    Another highlighting her abilities.

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by ATOM
    #23

    Portland andy gets maced while filming antifia during portland riots 

    P.A is the king of streaming did a cool one down in tampa for the super bowl