Skip to content

What/Who are you currently listening to?

Barber Shop Talk
917 32 36.3k 1
  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #15
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I'm on Audible and just finished listening to The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It was an excellent novel about a young black boy who is "saved" from slavery by John Brown during "Bloody Kansas" days before the inevitable Harper's Ferry Raid of 1859. It's full of humor and very deep understanding of the black experience up through the years even though it ends in 1859. Very well worth the journey which is based on real history as well as this fictional main character who "passes" as a girl for self preservation. Closest thing to a Black Huck Finn type of adventure out there. Mark Twain would approve.

  • I'm on Audible and just finished listening to The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It was an excellent novel about a young black boy who is "saved" from slavery by John Brown during "Bloody Kansas" days before the inevitable Harper's Ferry Raid of 1859. It's full of humor and very deep understanding of the black experience up through the years even though it ends in 1859. Very well worth the journey which is based on real history as well as this fictional main character who "passes" as a girl for self preservation. Closest thing to a Black Huck Finn type of adventure out there. Mark Twain would approve.

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'm on Audible and just finished listening to The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It was an excellent novel about a young black boy who is "saved" from slavery by John Brown during "Bloody Kansas" days before the inevitable Harper's Ferry Raid of 1859. It's full of humor and very deep understanding of the black experience up through the years even though it ends in 1859. Very well worth the journey which is based on real history as well as this fictional main character who "passes" as a girl for self preservation. Closest thing to a Black Huck Finn type of adventure out there. Mark Twain would approve.

    How BLM.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I'm on Audible and just finished listening to The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It was an excellent novel about a young black boy who is "saved" from slavery by John Brown during "Bloody Kansas" days before the inevitable Harper's Ferry Raid of 1859. It's full of humor and very deep understanding of the black experience up through the years even though it ends in 1859. Very well worth the journey which is based on real history as well as this fictional main character who "passes" as a girl for self preservation. Closest thing to a Black Huck Finn type of adventure out there. Mark Twain would approve.

    How BLM.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How BLM.

    DH, I've got no issue with you.  But give it a fucking rest in my threads man, thanks.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I'm on Audible and just finished listening to The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It was an excellent novel about a young black boy who is "saved" from slavery by John Brown during "Bloody Kansas" days before the inevitable Harper's Ferry Raid of 1859. It's full of humor and very deep understanding of the black experience up through the years even though it ends in 1859. Very well worth the journey which is based on real history as well as this fictional main character who "passes" as a girl for self preservation. Closest thing to a Black Huck Finn type of adventure out there. Mark Twain would approve.

    How BLM.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How BLM.

    The novel was published in 2013 which is way before BLM. You could have said the same about Uncle Tom's Cabin or Huckleberry Finn. It just happens to be an excellent novel that make you laugh not unlike Huck Finn does. If I thought it was political I would have posted it over there instead of here where we post things that are entertaining, which it certainly is.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    This past weekends Garage Jam was.... GodSmack 

    fitting video  

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Godsmack was another nu-metal band I just couldn't stand despite having a great vocalist.  Having said that, their acoustic work like this is something I enjoy.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by Axe
    #22

    Speaking of great vocalists, this woman is incredible. Another from the greatest open air music festival on earth. Wacken...

     I've seen Nightwish and I don't know how tall Floor Jansan is but I'm 6'5 and we seemed to be eye to eye.

    Another highlighting her abilities.

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by ATOM
    #23

    Portland andy gets maced while filming antifia during portland riots 

    P.A is the king of streaming did a cool one down in tampa for the super bowl

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How BLM.

    DH, I've got no issue with you.  But give it a fucking rest in my threads man, thanks.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @tiamat63 said:

    DH, I've got no issue with you.  But give it a fucking rest in my threads man, thanks.

    Ignorance abides there. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #25

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #26

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @the-gipper said:

    Such a great movie and soundtrack.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #29

    This guy does not suck

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Echo in the Canyon tonight on Netflix.. Can't recommend it highly enough..

  • F FairHooker11 wrote on last edited by FairHooker11
    #31

    Russians Russians RUSSIANS!

    these guys (and very attractive lady) are terrific! They do a lot of Chicago / Chicago Transit Authority stuff. Musicianship is superb - Horns OMG!!

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Shinedown...Let's just say I've been a fan since Vocal one. youtube, members 'Smith & Myers'...You will get many remixes of songs they do in acoustic sessions..Vocalist range is insane...  

    Who's up next? 

  • AxeA Axe

    Echo in the Canyon tonight on Netflix.. Can't recommend it highly enough..

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by Browns149
    #33

    @axe said:

    Echo in the Canyon tonight on Netflix.. Can't recommend it highly enough..

    I need to get a Netflix password or account. And a smart tv. I want to see this for sure

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    I spent 6 weeks cutting, now in back to strength training and working to put on about 10lbs.   So during my push-pull days I always open up with a more lengthy band-stretching routine.   So it's a good 20 minutes of getting loosened up.  During that time, I always tend to listen to more orchestrated music before getting into something heavier. Hanz Zimmer is one of my favorite modern composers and I love this soundtrack as well.