Skip to content

What/Who are you currently listening to?

Barber Shop Talk
917 32 36.3k 1
  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by Axe

    Now if you want to watch these or any other youtubes /wo commercial interruption do this..

    In the address bar where you see "www.youtube.com/watch" just make this simple alteration to www.yout-ube.com/watch, and hit enter. It will take your video to full screen and it will play devoid of ads.. Yer welcome 😉

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by

    Saw these guys last weekend in Tampa.. Despite being a total cover band at this point they were still the best of the night.. John Waite opened and Styx headlined,,

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by Ibleedbrown

    I’ve been reading a book about James Calvin Wilsey, a largely unknown dude whose biggest claim to fame was writing the lead guitar part on Chris Isaac’s “Wicked Game”, which was a significant part of making that song a blockbuster that was plastered all over radio and MTV. 

    But before that, he was the bass player for the Avengers, arguably the best bay area punk band from the 70s and pretty much why l bought the book. Say what you will about SF, but that tiny 7 square mile city has cranked out some magnificent rock n roll over the years. This is largely considered the Avengers’ Magnus opus. 

    IMG_1680.jpeg

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    I'm intrigued - Randy Travis had a bad stroke a few years? ago.

    But with AI, they created a song using his voice.

    If you have ever heard any of his songs - a few are favorites on my guitar....

    check it out:

    https://www.facebook.com/reel/1484631675775574

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    I just ran across this song at random thought it was pretty damn interesting

    I know absolutely nothing about the artist.

    WSS

  • F FairHooker11 wrote on last edited by

    from 1986-87 ... a medley version favorite  that played on King Biscuit Flower hour back then,  and now on 

    a bootleggish video 

    for Mik - 

  • I just ran across this song at random thought it was pretty damn interesting

    I know absolutely nothing about the artist.

    WSS

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    I just ran across this song at random thought it was pretty damn interesting

    I know absolutely nothing about the artist.

    WSS

    I like the strings. They climb high.

  • from 1986-87 ... a medley version favorite  that played on King Biscuit Flower hour back then,  and now on 

    a bootleggish video 

    for Mik - 

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @fairhooker11 said:

    from 1986-87 ... a medley version favorite  that played on King Biscuit Flower hour back then,  and now on 

    a bootleggish video 

    for Mik - 

    So you’re a Genesis guy? I’ve heard you people exist. I hung with all 20 minutes and it was fantastic. Whoever twisted the knobs to get the mix right nailed it. 

    Collins’ “No Jacket Required” is a masterpiece imo, and Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” helped me get laid at least twice, but l’ve never really delved much into Genesis. Where do you suggest l start?

  • @fairhooker11 said:

    from 1986-87 ... a medley version favorite  that played on King Biscuit Flower hour back then,  and now on 

    a bootleggish video 

    for Mik - 

    So you’re a Genesis guy? I’ve heard you people exist. I hung with all 20 minutes and it was fantastic. Whoever twisted the knobs to get the mix right nailed it. 

    Collins’ “No Jacket Required” is a masterpiece imo, and Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” helped me get laid at least twice, but l’ve never really delved much into Genesis. Where do you suggest l start?

    F FairHooker11 wrote on last edited by FairHooker11

    @ibleedbrown said:

    So you’re a Genesis guy? I’ve heard you people exist. I hung with all 20 minutes and it was fantastic. Whoever twisted the knobs to get the mix right nailed it. 

    Collins’ “No Jacket Required” is a masterpiece imo, and Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” helped me get laid at least twice, but l’ve never really delved much into Genesis. Where do you suggest l start?

    i guess there are so many to suggest - check out the concert DVDs where they typically play their "old stuff" as well as the radio played songs. My first listen was Trick of the Tail album in 1976 when my drummer friend from HS came over with it to share his thoughts on the time signature changes and specifically the drumming. He sold me!  

    fast forward to today original guitar player Steve Hackett is still out there playing alot of the groups older stuff - Daryl Stuermer also playing versions of them.  Keyboardist Tony Banks is an incredibly underrated composer & writer.

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    So you’re a Genesis guy? I’ve heard you people exist. I hung with all 20 minutes and it was fantastic. Whoever twisted the knobs to get the mix right nailed it. 

    Collins’ “No Jacket Required” is a masterpiece imo, and Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” helped me get laid at least twice, but l’ve never really delved much into Genesis. Where do you suggest l start?

    i guess there are so many to suggest - check out the concert DVDs where they typically play their "old stuff" as well as the radio played songs. My first listen was Trick of the Tail album in 1976 when my drummer friend from HS came over with it to share his thoughts on the time signature changes and specifically the drumming. He sold me!  

    fast forward to today original guitar player Steve Hackett is still out there playing alot of the groups older stuff - Daryl Stuermer also playing versions of them.  Keyboardist Tony Banks is an incredibly underrated composer & writer.

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @fairhooker11 said:

    i guess there are so many to suggest - check out the concert DVDs where they typically play their "old stuff" as well as the radio played songs. My first listen was Trick of the Tail album in 1976 when my drummer friend from HS came over with it to share his thoughts on the time signature changes and specifically the drumming. He sold me!  

    fast forward to today original guitar player Steve Hackett is still out there playing alot of the groups older stuff - and I think keyboardest Tony Banks is an incredibly underrated composer writer and performer.  

    Ooh, l have it on vinyl! A byproduct of buying too many darn records in my younger years that l still haven’t listened to. Scale for scale.

    I fired it up last night front to back, it was a great listen. They have a real suddenness to their songs, tempo changes and melodies that come outta nowhere and hook ya. Thanks for the rec. I’m going to start making my way through more of their catalog.

    IMG_1798.jpeg

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    This is entirely Fairhooker’s fault. I’ve been on a full on Genesis/Phil Collins bender. This is the barnburner from “No Jacket Required”. 

    The chorus consistently has me reaching for my air guitar. That big dirty chord after “Billy!” gets me every time. 

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    Lucian Thor doesn’t get enough recognition in the “greatest drummers ever” conversation. Drummer for Valiant Thor their first few albums. I’m serious. I put this guy up there with Bonham/Peart/Moon. 

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    Any Mellencamp fans? His album “Lonesome Jubilee” is the one. He somehow got the great idea to add a crap ton of accordion and fiddle and other earthy instrumentation to his songs and it works like a charm.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
  • DieHardBrownsFan1D DieHardBrownsFan1 wrote on last edited by

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by syd

    honestly this puts the song in a whole new prospective, it go's with  country roads

  • A AP1 wrote on last edited by

    Trogolodyte Question of the Day:

    How do you post the videos so that they're linked and have the thumbnail or picture?

    I can only post the link.

  • A AP1

    Trogolodyte Question of the Day:

    How do you post the videos so that they're linked and have the thumbnail or picture?

    I can only post the link.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @ap1 said:

    Trogolodyte Question of the Day:

    How do you post the videos so that they're linked and have the thumbnail or picture?

    I can only post the link.

    You have to wait for the site to recognize and embed the link.