Marty Schottenheimer 200 wins Dead @77
-
Sad news. I lost my Dad the day after Christmas, 2019 due to complications from Alzheimer's.
Marty definitely made his mark here, just couldn't beat Elway. Those Browns teams were fun to watch, and real disciplined.
Lost my Mom to it 10 years ago next month. Went from a spry still hiking Rocky Mountain trials woman in her early 80's to death at 87 with no ability to remember anything she was told within 5 minutes of the conversation. It's a killer, not just a memory taker.
Lost my Mom to it 10 years ago next month. Went from a spry still hiking Rocky Mountain trials woman in her early 80's to death at 87 with no ability to remember anything she was told within 5 minutes of the conversation. It's a killer, not just a memory taker.
Yep. My dad was so bad he basically forgot how to eat & swallow. Inhaled some scrambled eggs at an assisted living place, got aspiration pneumonia, and was gone in a few days.
Just an awful disease.
-
Lost my Mom to it 10 years ago next month. Went from a spry still hiking Rocky Mountain trials woman in her early 80's to death at 87 with no ability to remember anything she was told within 5 minutes of the conversation. It's a killer, not just a memory taker.
Yep. My dad was so bad he basically forgot how to eat & swallow. Inhaled some scrambled eggs at an assisted living place, got aspiration pneumonia, and was gone in a few days.
Just an awful disease.
Yep. My dad was so bad he basically forgot how to eat & swallow. Inhaled some scrambled eggs at an assisted living place, got aspiration pneumonia, and was gone in a few days.
Just an awful disease.
Yes it is. I've been tested thoroughly by a diagnostic specialist since both her younger brother and sister also died of it. Fortunately it's not in my cards.
-
Lost my Mom to it 10 years ago next month. Went from a spry still hiking Rocky Mountain trials woman in her early 80's to death at 87 with no ability to remember anything she was told within 5 minutes of the conversation. It's a killer, not just a memory taker.
Yep. My dad was so bad he basically forgot how to eat & swallow. Inhaled some scrambled eggs at an assisted living place, got aspiration pneumonia, and was gone in a few days.
Just an awful disease.
Yep. My dad was so bad he basically forgot how to eat & swallow. Inhaled some scrambled eggs at an assisted living place, got aspiration pneumonia, and was gone in a few days.
Just an awful disease.
This is the part I think some folks don't realize is what actually kills people who have this disease, most of the time.. Your brain literally deteriorates to the point where your body doesn't remember how to survive. Watching my grandfather go from dementia to Alzheimer's was such a heartbreaking period of my life. The worst, to me, were those moments of lucidity where I saw a man who was aware at that point in time he was literally losing his mind. Talk about something I don't wish on my worst enemy. I hope Marty is able to be at peace.
-
Yep. My dad was so bad he basically forgot how to eat & swallow. Inhaled some scrambled eggs at an assisted living place, got aspiration pneumonia, and was gone in a few days.
Just an awful disease.
This is the part I think some folks don't realize is what actually kills people who have this disease, most of the time.. Your brain literally deteriorates to the point where your body doesn't remember how to survive. Watching my grandfather go from dementia to Alzheimer's was such a heartbreaking period of my life. The worst, to me, were those moments of lucidity where I saw a man who was aware at that point in time he was literally losing his mind. Talk about something I don't wish on my worst enemy. I hope Marty is able to be at peace.
The worst, to me, were those moments of lucidity where I saw a man who was aware at that point in time he was literally losing his mind. Talk about something I don't wish on my worst enemy. I hope Marty is able to be at peace.
My mother kept asking me if she was going crazy or losing her mind. I just kept giving her the same answer since she asked it often near the end, "No, you are just losing your memory Mom." We all felt blessed that she could remember who we were all the way to the end. And could smile in recognition with our correct names when any of us 5 kids walked into the room.
-
Sorry to hear that. I wish Marty and his family the best in tough times.
At the risk of being inappropriate, Marty showed signs many years ago when he forgot about all else except for the linebacker position, bringing us Mike Junkin and Cliff Charleton.
Sorry to hear that. I wish Marty and his family the best in tough times.
At the risk of being inappropriate, Marty showed signs many years ago when he forgot about all else except for the linebacker position, bringing us Mike Junkin and Cliff Charleton.
And, to be fair to Marty, I don't know that he was the one making those picks. Ernie Accorsi was still our GM at that point, and I am pretty sure he had final say. I am also sure that Marty had his input. As good and respected as Ernie was....he obviously had his share of misses. (In his tenure here he also pick Eric Metcalf, Webster Slaughter, and Eric Turner).
-
My wife's best friend's mother was in the early stages of Alzheimer's when she died of heart failure, a year ago Monday.
It sounds cold, but I can't help to think it was for the best. Seeing someone you love get to the point where they don't know their own family has to be fucking brutal.
-
-
-
-
I said it in the other thread, I just hope Marty went as peacefully as possible. The last days of my grandfather in hospice with sever Alzheimer's were unfortunately not graceful, and extremely tough.
I truly hope we find a breakthrough on this awful disease. RIP.
-
-
-
Damn it. But knew it was coming when they put him in hospice.
Fyi, I had a client once. He had to put his wife in a nursing home for her Alzheimer's, but she lived for like another 15-20 years even though she was totally non-cognitiant . He was devoted to her....but he actually died first. But then some die right away, like Marty here. I wasn't sure which would be the case with him. Now we know.
-
-
RIP Marty.
-
-
I can tell you with certainty that there is as much relief that it is over as there is sadness that it is over. RIP Marty and may God bless your family and friends.?
-
-
RIP Coach
-
Terrible sad news,

T
7 years of beating Alzheimer from the age of 70? That's another WIN nobody can take back Coach Shot'z... ? Prayers, our friend ..
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

