Skip to content

Free Agent Tracker

The Browns Board
202 25 7.5k 1
  • Whatever we do, I want us to be smart about it....i am sure we will.

    Before we go too crazy on free players outside the team, i want to lock a few guys down so they don't become free.

    Baker

    Chubb

    Conklin

    Treeter

    maybe hunt.

    Ward

    @ballpeen said:

    Whatever we do, I want us to be smart about it....i am sure we will.

    Before we go too crazy on free players outside the team, i want to lock a few guys down so they don't become free.

    Baker

    Chubb

    Conklin

    Treeter

    maybe hunt.

    Ward

    Well Conklin has three years ; Hunt and Tretter has a couple more years.

    I think you let those play out.

    I think many here are willing to pay market rate when it happens for Ward- I’m not.  He’s here for two more years too. 

    Baker should get an extension within 12 months.  Chubb is a year sooner and I don’t balk at all if he wants D Henry type money 4/50. 
     

    Post 2022.  It’s Baker on one side Myles on the other (long term) with role players and maybe some friendly contracts from future draftees.  It is a new dawn for Browns football in Salary cap era. 

  • SI article on cap detail - nothing new, just terms defined and detailed examples shown.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Whatever we do, I want us to be smart about it....i am sure we will.

    Before we go too crazy on free players outside the team, i want to lock a few guys down so they don't become free.

    Baker

    Chubb

    Conklin

    Treeter

    maybe hunt.

    Ward

    Well Conklin has three years ; Hunt and Tretter has a couple more years.

    I think you let those play out.

    I think many here are willing to pay market rate when it happens for Ward- I’m not.  He’s here for two more years too. 

    Baker should get an extension within 12 months.  Chubb is a year sooner and I don’t balk at all if he wants D Henry type money 4/50. 
     

    Post 2022.  It’s Baker on one side Myles on the other (long term) with role players and maybe some friendly contracts from future draftees.  It is a new dawn for Browns football in Salary cap era. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Well Conklin has three years ; Hunt and Tretter has a couple more years.

    I think you let those play out.

    I think many here are willing to pay market rate when it happens for Ward- I’m not.  He’s here for two more years too. 

    Baker should get an extension within 12 months.  Chubb is a year sooner and I don’t balk at all if he wants D Henry type money 4/50. 
     

    Post 2022.  It’s Baker on one side Myles on the other (long term) with role players and maybe some friendly contracts from future draftees.  It is a new dawn for Browns football in Salary cap era. 

    Conklin signed a 3 year del.  We have him this season and next.  His, Treeters, and Bitonios contracts expire the same year, 2023....meaning 22 is their last season here under contract..

  • Updating list of cap casualties around NFL during 2021 offseason

    https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/21/updating-list-of-cap-casualties-around-nfl-during-2021-offseason-free-agency-packers/

    Atlanta Falcons

    S Ricardo Allen
    DL Allen Bailey

    Baltimore Ravens

    RB Mark Ingram

    Buffalo Bills

    CB E.J. Gaines

    Carolina Panthers

    DL Kawann Short
    S Tre Boston
    P Michael Palardy
    DE Stephen Weatherly

    Denver Broncos

    CB A.J. Bouye
    DL Kyle Peko

    Green Bay Packers

    LB Christian Kirksey
    OT Rick Wagner

    Houston Texans

    DL J.J. Watt

    New Orleans Saints

    G Nick Easton

    Philadelphia Eagles

    WR Desean Jackson

    Seattle Seahawks

    OL Chance Warmack
    TE Luke Willson

    List will update as more players around the NFL are released.

  • Franchise tag not necessary for the Browns to use this year.   To paraphrase  Wayne's World:   No one's worthy:

    https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-teams-now-franchise-tag-130419855.html

  • Rashard Higgins hopes to re-sign with Browns before hitting the market, ‘but I haven’t seen an offer yet’

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/02/rashard-higgins-hopes-to-re-sign-with-the-browns-before-hitting-the-market-but-i-havent-seen-an-offer-yet.html

    A source told cleveland.com that the Browns would like to have Higgins back, but at the right price. According to spotrac.com, his market value is about four years, $24.75 million — an average of more than $6 million a year — which might be more than the Browns want to pay.

  • Texans  release Duke Johnson:

    https://sports.yahoo.com/report-texans-release-rb-duke-185550033.html

    I didn't think he had deteriorated much as a player.

    Houston also released their starting center:  Nick Martin:

    https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-cut-center-nick-martin-222103262.html

    It also looks like Houston is going to let Will Fuller go as a Free Agent:

    https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-allow-wr-fuller-test-160837473.html

    So, what are they doing over there?  I had not heard that they were such dire cap straits that they needed to dump salary.  Or are they just in complete housecleaning mode?  If they are doing this....may as well get rid of Watson for all the picks they can get.

  • Rashard Higgins hopes to re-sign with Browns before hitting the market, ‘but I haven’t seen an offer yet’

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/02/rashard-higgins-hopes-to-re-sign-with-the-browns-before-hitting-the-market-but-i-havent-seen-an-offer-yet.html

    A source told cleveland.com that the Browns would like to have Higgins back, but at the right price. According to spotrac.com, his market value is about four years, $24.75 million — an average of more than $6 million a year — which might be more than the Browns want to pay.

    @vambo said:

    Rashard Higgins hopes to re-sign with Browns before hitting the market, ‘but I haven’t seen an offer yet’

    According to spotrac.com, his market value is about four years, $24.75 million — an average of more than $6 million a year — which might be more than the Browns want to pay?

    *They have more than $30 million tied up in 2021 in Odell Beckham Jr. ($15.75 million) and Jarvis Landry ($14.753 million), and might not want the receiver room taking up more than 20% of the anticipated $185 million cap. (6M on a WR3? ?)

    *Higgins is a FA.... However, the Browns may want to restructure Landry's contract to free up dollars for the long list of free agents they are faced with.The restructuring would amount to mathematics and money shuffling, not a pay cut, and possibly adding another year to Landry's deal.  

    Extending Joel Bitonio a year, in same fashion as above^^ won't hurt my feelings... stay tuned 

  • More justification for resigning Higgins

  • @vambo said:

    Rashard Higgins hopes to re-sign with Browns before hitting the market, ‘but I haven’t seen an offer yet’

    According to spotrac.com, his market value is about four years, $24.75 million — an average of more than $6 million a year — which might be more than the Browns want to pay?

    *They have more than $30 million tied up in 2021 in Odell Beckham Jr. ($15.75 million) and Jarvis Landry ($14.753 million), and might not want the receiver room taking up more than 20% of the anticipated $185 million cap. (6M on a WR3? ?)

    *Higgins is a FA.... However, the Browns may want to restructure Landry's contract to free up dollars for the long list of free agents they are faced with.The restructuring would amount to mathematics and money shuffling, not a pay cut, and possibly adding another year to Landry's deal.  

    Extending Joel Bitonio a year, in same fashion as above^^ won't hurt my feelings... stay tuned 

    @gumby73 said:

    *They have more than $30 million tied up in 2021 in Odell Beckham Jr. ($15.75 million) and Jarvis Landry ($14.753 million), and might not want the receiver room taking up more than 20% of the anticipated $185 million cap. (6M on a WR3? ?)

    *Higgins is a FA.... However, the Browns may want to restructure Landry's contract to free up dollars for the long list of free agents they are faced with.The restructuring would amount to mathematics and money shuffling, not a pay cut, and possibly adding another year to Landry's deal.  

    Extending Joel Bitonio a year, in same fashion as above^^ won't hurt my feelings... stay tuned 

    Joel is under contract for 2021 and 2022 at a great number 10m per. 

    He’s getting older I don’t see the need to extend.  Next draft we may be drafting his replacement.

  • @gumby73 said:

    *They have more than $30 million tied up in 2021 in Odell Beckham Jr. ($15.75 million) and Jarvis Landry ($14.753 million), and might not want the receiver room taking up more than 20% of the anticipated $185 million cap. (6M on a WR3? ?)

    *Higgins is a FA.... However, the Browns may want to restructure Landry's contract to free up dollars for the long list of free agents they are faced with.The restructuring would amount to mathematics and money shuffling, not a pay cut, and possibly adding another year to Landry's deal.  

    Extending Joel Bitonio a year, in same fashion as above^^ won't hurt my feelings... stay tuned 

    Joel is under contract for 2021 and 2022 at a great number 10m per. 

    He’s getting older I don’t see the need to extend.  Next draft we may be drafting his replacement.

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Joel is under contract for 2021 and 2022 at a great number 10m per. 

    He’s getting older I don’t see the need to extend.  Next draft we may be drafting his replacement.

    He has only been here for 7 years....that is by no means "old"  when it comes to offensive linemen  where some very good ones have like 15 year careers.    I mean, look at these guys:

    36 Ray Brown G ^ 1986–2005 262
    67 Ed White G 1969–1985 241
    133 Will Shields* G 1993–2006 224
    147 Max Montoya G 1979–1994 223
    150 Randall McDaniel* G 1988–2001 222
    172 Gene Upshaw* G 1967–1981 217
    191 Kevin Gogan G 1987–2000 213
    233 Chris Gray G 1993–2007 208
    243 Randy Rasmussen G 1967–1981 207
    256 Steve Wisniewski G 1989–2001 206
    256 Alan Faneca G 1998–2010 206
    256 Roberto Garza G, C 2001–2014 206
    282 Doug Wilkerson G 1970–1984 204
    290 Larry Allen* G 1994–2007 203
    301 Gene Hickerson* G 1958–1973 202
    301 Joe Scibelli G 1961–1975 202

    Bitonio has played in  just  95 games in his career so far. 

  • Also,  it has been at least like  5 days since teams have had the ability to apply one of the various  "Tags",  yet I see where nothing has happened on that front.  

    Is it a matter of  A. Teams waiting on the salary cap number decision   B. Teams still trying to negotiate extensions with players  C.  Just giving it more time since that deadline is still a bit away? 

  • Also,  it has been at least like  5 days since teams have had the ability to apply one of the various  "Tags",  yet I see where nothing has happened on that front.  

    Is it a matter of  A. Teams waiting on the salary cap number decision   B. Teams still trying to negotiate extensions with players  C.  Just giving it more time since that deadline is still a bit away? 

    @the-gipper said:

    Also,  it has been at least like  5 days since teams have had the ability to apply one of the various  "Tags",  yet I see where nothing has happened on that front.  

    Is it a matter of  A. Teams waiting on the salary cap number decision   B. Teams still trying to negotiate extensions with players  C.  Just giving it more time since that deadline is still a bit away? 

    Or D. Teams do not need to use it.  (See Browns and I’m sure some others)

  • @the-gipper said:

    Also,  it has been at least like  5 days since teams have had the ability to apply one of the various  "Tags",  yet I see where nothing has happened on that front.  

    Is it a matter of  A. Teams waiting on the salary cap number decision   B. Teams still trying to negotiate extensions with players  C.  Just giving it more time since that deadline is still a bit away? 

    Or D. Teams do not need to use it.  (See Browns and I’m sure some others)

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Or D. Teams do not need to use it.  (See Browns and I’m sure some others)

    Sure.    I am curious as to, historically, what percentage of teams on average have used one of the tags in any given year.  I suspect maybe only 50%? 

  • Higgins is a guy that many of us wanted to see this past season.  And we DID get to see a lot of him.  During a game, Chris Collinsworth said that He's not fast, doesn't run particularly good routes, but he has a chemistry with Mayfield.  I don't get to see much of his route running from my seat on the couch.  But like I've always said about him, He catches it when you throw it to him.  

    The coaches ALWAYS had glowing things to say about him, his work ethic, his attitude.  But for the first half of the season it was borderline whether he'd be 'up' for the game.  It was always Kadrell Hodge.  Obviously, losing OBJ got Higgins more involved.  And then Hodge got hurt so Higgins became a valued commodity.  

    So, here's my opinion:  Higgins does whatever you tell him, has a good team attitude, catches the ball....He's not fast nor particularly shifty.   I think they'd like to keep him but they're not going to pay him too much.  And since we had 12 wins including a playoff win, someone is going to offer him more than we think he's worth...and so now we don't have to decide who's 'up'....it'll be Hodge.

  • Surprised to see no mention of this article...

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-browns-interested-in-lavonte-david-and-breshad-perriman-per-report/

    Love David... sign one, daft one...

    Perriman? Big and fast, but has underachieved everywhere he's been... including with us in 2018.

  • Surprised to see no mention of this article...

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-browns-interested-in-lavonte-david-and-breshad-perriman-per-report/

    Love David... sign one, daft one...

    Perriman? Big and fast, but has underachieved everywhere he's been... including with us in 2018.

    @tour2ma said:

    Surprised to see no mention of this article...

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-browns-interested-in-lavonte-david-and-breshad-perriman-per-report/

    Love David... sign one, daft one...

    Perriman? Big and fast, but has underachieved everywhere he's been... including with us in 2018.

    Baker makes Perriman look good...

  • Surprised to see no mention of this article...

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-browns-interested-in-lavonte-david-and-breshad-perriman-per-report/

    Love David... sign one, daft one...

    Perriman? Big and fast, but has underachieved everywhere he's been... including with us in 2018.

    @tour2ma said:

    Surprised to see no mention of this article...

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-browns-interested-in-lavonte-david-and-breshad-perriman-per-report/

    Love David... sign one, daft one...

    Perriman? Big and fast, but has underachieved everywhere he's been... including with us in 2018.

    The interest in  Lavonte David has been mentioned on this forum,  a few times.  Not certain where this guy has had his stuck...but I have a pretty good idea. 

  • Zombo said:

    Kyle Van Now

    Is he related to Kyle van Noy?