Skip to content

GOATs by Uniform Number

The Browns Board
13 5 348
  • Somewhat interesting Article.   It says whatever the author there thinks is the best player ever to wear each number from  00 to  99.

    https://explore.thesportsontap.com/the-best-nfl-players-by-jersey-number-copy/3?utm_subid=5161377&utm_adset=1300465&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=859565&utm_template=infinite4&fbclid=IwAR0W7VOnmqFol9rP23V3Hwam1GCPhm-Q8jQQhI9DK-vqMZ-d8F9MAAfgtbM

    Browns:

    #32   Jim Brown

    #82 Ozzie Newsome.  

    and that is it.

    I think the author(s) ...article was unattributed.  made some errors:        They gave #14 to Dan Fouts.  I don't think they realized that Otto Graham wore  #14. Otto only ever won  7 championships.  Fouts, as good as he was, never even appeared in a single championship game.      And #76 they gave to Orlando Pace.   Great player.   But #76 was worn by Lou Groza.  He was Orlando Pace and Jan Stenurud rolled into one. 

  • I disagree about Lou.  Pace was better IMO and so was Bob Brown, who wore the number.  Oh....Marion Motley worn the number.

  • I disagree about Lou.  Pace was better IMO and so was Bob Brown, who wore the number.  Oh....Marion Motley worn the number.

    @ballpeen said:

    I disagree about Lou.  Pace was better IMO and so was Bob Brown, who wore the number.  Oh....Marion Motley worn the number.

    Maybe...just maybe those two could be considered  better OTs than Lou.....maybe.   But Lou was HOF caliber at two different positions.   Do you think Pace or Brown could have kicked for over 2000 points?  And shouldn't the totality of their careers be considered? 

  • 44  Leroy Kelly

    86  Gary Collins,  Dante Lavelli

    42  Paul Warfield

    73  Joe Thomas

    76  belongs to The Toe

  • #3 Russell Wilson.

    Hmm...it's funny because I don't recall many wearing that number. Bobby Hebert (Saints), Derrick Anderson (Browns), and Daryle Lamonica (Raiders). Now that I'm typing this they definitely overlooked Lamonica, he was a beast. 

    #31 should have been our Frank Minnifield. 

    I enjoyed the article but so may ads. 

  • 44  Leroy Kelly

    86  Gary Collins,  Dante Lavelli

    42  Paul Warfield

    73  Joe Thomas

    76  belongs to The Toe

    @orion said:

    44  Leroy Kelly

    86  Gary Collins,  Dante Lavelli

    42  Paul Warfield

    73  Joe Thomas

    76  belongs to The Toe

    They gave #73 to  John Hannah.    A great player.   Maybe considered the best OG  ever.      As usual with this sort of thing...if there is a tie, these things always seem to go against the Browns. 

  • @orion said:

    44  Leroy Kelly

    86  Gary Collins,  Dante Lavelli

    42  Paul Warfield

    73  Joe Thomas

    76  belongs to The Toe

    They gave #73 to  John Hannah.    A great player.   Maybe considered the best OG  ever.      As usual with this sort of thing...if there is a tie, these things always seem to go against the Browns. 

    @the-gipper said:

    They gave #73 to  John Hannah. 

    He was good too.

  • That is why these type of polls are stupid.  Much can be said for many of the numbers.  Very few are just stand alone, no question.

  • That is why these type of polls are stupid.  Much can be said for many of the numbers.  Very few are just stand alone, no question.

    @ballpeen said:

    That is why these type of polls are stupid.  Much can be said for many of the numbers.  Very few are just stand alone, no question.

    Well,  they are just an exercise in fandom.  Designed to engender  conversation/debate.....just as it has done.  Harmless and fun maybe. 

  • Don't consider the use of the word stupid as pointing fingers. Substitute the word pointless.

  • #3 Russell Wilson.

    Hmm...it's funny because I don't recall many wearing that number. Bobby Hebert (Saints), Derrick Anderson (Browns), and Daryle Lamonica (Raiders). Now that I'm typing this they definitely overlooked Lamonica, he was a beast. 

    #31 should have been our Frank Minnifield. 

    I enjoyed the article but so may ads. 

    @bob806 said:

    #31 should have been our Frank Minnifield. 

    I assumed it was going to be Jim Taylor of the Packers... is Priest Holmes in the HOF?

  • Don't consider the use of the word stupid as pointing fingers. Substitute the word pointless.

    @ballpeen said:

    Don't consider the use of the word stupid as pointing fingers. Substitute the word pointless.

    Well,  being a football fan at all may be pointless.   Every single post on this board since its inception  can be considered pointless.  After all, what real effect has anything anyone has ever said on here meant a cabbage fart as to how the Cleveland Browns have performed over the years.  If this forum didn't exist, nothing would have been changed, ever.

    Fair to say? 

  • @bob806 said:

    #31 should have been our Frank Minnifield. 

    I assumed it was going to be Jim Taylor of the Packers... is Priest Holmes in the HOF?

    @dutch-oven said:

    I assumed it was going to be Jim Taylor of the Packers... is Priest Holmes in the HOF?

    Good catch on Taylor.  .  And no, Priest Holmes is not in the HOF.    I think he was a semi-finalist,  but did not become a finalist...this year. 

    Of course, you all must remember,  this type of thing, by whomever did it,   is full of "recency bias".     The author probably didn't think of going back as far as Jim Taylor.    Jim Brown could not be ignored but Taylor could be.