Skip to content

Ogunjobi signs with Bengals - Njoku gets guaranteed money

The Browns Board
27 13 632 2
  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #13

    Deal specifics released - 6.2 total, 4.6 guaranteed.  Far too much money - don't think once about this let alone twice.

    EDIT: This is Ogun's deal.. not Njoku's..

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Is this a joke? 

    Nope. “He dropped three passes a year” 

    Front offices don’t care 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @londonbrown said:

    Nope. “He dropped three passes a year” 

    Front offices don’t care 

    That's how you end up with Corey Coleman.

  • Deal specifics released - 6.2 total, 4.6 guaranteed.  Far too much money - don't think once about this let alone twice.

    EDIT: This is Ogun's deal.. not Njoku's..

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @unsympathetic said:

    Deal specifics released - 6.2 total, 4.6 guaranteed.  Far too much money - don't think once about this let alone twice.

    14th highest-paid TE in the league...

    Still paying for "potential", but I'm OK with it.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    But, as shown above, he had one season where he dropped 12.5% of passes thrown to him. 

    Estimates vary... for same season PFY has his drop rate at about half that... besides 2018 is old news. His 2020 drop rate was 3.4 and Baker's QBR when targeting him was 110.

    image.png.016f2536a1f4754d9ab422c8ac113c7d.png

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @tour2ma said:

    Estimates vary... for same season PFY has his drop rate at about half that... besides 2018 is old news. His 2020 drop rate was 3.4 and Baker's QBR when targeting him was 110.

    image.png.016f2536a1f4754d9ab422c8ac113c7d.png

    Which is why I said that by the end of the year he was all-around the best TE on the roster. 

    But saying that dropping balls isn't a big deal is, well, kind of silly. A person who says such things could very well be dubbed a "silly goose" or that they wear "silly pants". 

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I just think fans care about it a lot more than teams 

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Njoku is going to be focused next season.  He wants to get paid.

    He was good last year- and he was fighting for PT.

    The first three years (when he was available) he had what appeared to be focus issues.  Missed blocks, holding calls (football IQ issues) and dropped passes.  He was the guy at the position and played with no urgency or focus. 
     

    Im fine with bringing him back as I think he plays with renewed purpose.  He should help us. 

  • Njoku is going to be focused next season.  He wants to get paid.

    He was good last year- and he was fighting for PT.

    The first three years (when he was available) he had what appeared to be focus issues.  Missed blocks, holding calls (football IQ issues) and dropped passes.  He was the guy at the position and played with no urgency or focus. 
     

    Im fine with bringing him back as I think he plays with renewed purpose.  He should help us. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Njoku is going to be focused next season.  He wants to get paid.

    He was good last year- and he was fighting for PT.

    The first three years (when he was available) he had what appeared to be focus issues.  Missed blocks, holding calls (football IQ issues) and dropped passes.  He was the guy at the position and played with no urgency or focus. 
     

    Im fine with bringing him back as I think he plays with renewed purpose.  He should help us. 

    Also, Hooper looked pretty 'meh' to me. Not horrible, but not very dynamic at all. 

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #20

    We definitely overpaid for Hooper 

  • We definitely overpaid for Hooper 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @londonbrown said:

    We definitely overpaid for Hooper 

    And that's the problem - you almost always overpay for free agents. 

    Good thing the TE room is pretty deep, and I know there are more pressing areas, but I wouldn't mind a TE on Day 2. 

    Njoku is on his last year of his contract and Hooper is 'meh'. Bryant showed flashes, but hit the rookie wall at 100mph. (That's like 160kph or something to you).  

  • @londonbrown said:

    We definitely overpaid for Hooper 

    And that's the problem - you almost always overpay for free agents. 

    Good thing the TE room is pretty deep, and I know there are more pressing areas, but I wouldn't mind a TE on Day 2. 

    Njoku is on his last year of his contract and Hooper is 'meh'. Bryant showed flashes, but hit the rookie wall at 100mph. (That's like 160kph or something to you).  

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @dutch-oven said:

    And that's the problem - you almost always overpay for free agents. 

    Good thing the TE room is pretty deep, and I know there are more pressing areas, but I wouldn't mind a TE on Day 2. 

    Njoku is on his last year of his contract and Hooper is 'meh'. Bryant showed flashes, but hit the rookie wall at 100mph. (That's like 160kph or something to you).  

    I’m not a fan of drafting TE’s as they seem to take too long to produce. I’d rather let a team draft and develop them and then sign them when it’s second contract time. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    And that's the problem - you almost always overpay for free agents. 

    Good thing the TE room is pretty deep, and I know there are more pressing areas, but I wouldn't mind a TE on Day 2. 

    Njoku is on his last year of his contract and Hooper is 'meh'. Bryant showed flashes, but hit the rookie wall at 100mph. (That's like 160kph or something to you).  

    I’m not a fan of drafting TE’s as they seem to take too long to produce. I’d rather let a team draft and develop them and then sign them when it’s second contract time. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @londonbrown said:

    I’m not a fan of drafting TE’s as they seem to take too long to produce. I’d rather let a team draft and develop them and then sign them when it’s second contract time. 

    Don’t let Njoku scar you

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Bummed to see ‘Jobi go. Even more bummed to see him go to the Bengals. Poor guy. Pretty good payday for him though. Get it while you can. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    And that's the problem - you almost always overpay for free agents. 

    Good thing the TE room is pretty deep, and I know there are more pressing areas, but I wouldn't mind a TE on Day 2. 

    Njoku is on his last year of his contract and Hooper is 'meh'. Bryant showed flashes, but hit the rookie wall at 100mph. (That's like 160kph or something to you).  

    I’m not a fan of drafting TE’s as they seem to take too long to produce. I’d rather let a team draft and develop them and then sign them when it’s second contract time. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @londonbrown said:

    I’m not a fan of drafting TE’s as they seem to take too long to produce. I’d rather let a team draft and develop them and then sign them when it’s second contract time. 

    Gotta disagree... there's a bargain TE in about every draft. Some kid who was underutilized in his college scheme. So it's more a case of tapping potential than "developing".

    Just look for the hardworking, blocking TE who displayed good hands when he was thrown to and then tests well at Combine/Pro-Day. No better example than Kittle...

    And, no, TEs like those I'm talking about don't grow on trees... and there will be some misses along the way, but TEs are also usually big ST contributors and add value via that route.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    I'd be thrilled to see Njoku back! I'm a little worried we'll trade him for a defensive starter but we're beginning to round out our roster quite nicely. If we keep Njoku, then throw him the ball more. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    And that's the problem - you almost always overpay for free agents. 

    Good thing the TE room is pretty deep, and I know there are more pressing areas, but I wouldn't mind a TE on Day 2. 

    Njoku is on his last year of his contract and Hooper is 'meh'. Bryant showed flashes, but hit the rookie wall at 100mph. (That's like 160kph or something to you).  

    I’m not a fan of drafting TE’s as they seem to take too long to produce. I’d rather let a team draft and develop them and then sign them when it’s second contract time. 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @londonbrown said:

    I’m not a fan of drafting TE’s as they seem to take too long to produce. I’d rather let a team draft and develop them and then sign them when it’s second contract time. 

    TE's, much like RB's, offer insane value in day 2 and beyond picks.  

    Top 15 TE's in terms of receiving yards last year - only 4 were taken in the 1st round.