Skip to content

Chalk up another Browns signing, Malik Jackson

The Browns Board
36 15 1.2k
  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #3

    Jackson seems nice -- no terms released yet. He is unexpectedly good - definitely better than ogun/elliot/taylor but a step below Richardson and Billings.

    For those keeping track at home, DI at present is Richardson/Billings starting with Jackson/Elliot rotating.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Zombo said:

    Seems you have a high opinion of Billings. I see him as #4 right now.

    Z

    Billings is a day 1 starter and easily our best nose.  

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #5

    I’d like to get DT with some pass rush skills in this draft.

    Jaylen Twyman 3rd round perhaps 

    but I like the depth we have now 

  • Zombo said:

    Seems you have a high opinion of Billings. I see him as #4 right now.

    Z

    Billings is a day 1 starter and easily our best nose.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @tiamat63 said:

    Billings is a day 1 starter and easily our best nose.  

    Yeah, I think Billings is an upgrade over Ogunjobi, and very well could have taken his starting job in 2020 if he had played. 

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #7

    Let's see....

    Could the Browns use a 25/30 snap, rotational interior defensive beast from that nasty Eagles defensive line? Bob the Builder has nothing on Berry the brilliant builder ?..

    Welcome in Malik Jackson !!  

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    He was one of the very best DLs on the Denver SB winning team. This is an excellent addition if he plays close to that level still. Inside pressure and excellent run stopper.

  • Zombo said:

    Seems you have a high opinion of Billings. I see him as #4 right now.

    Z

    Billings is a day 1 starter and easily our best nose.  

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @tiamat63 said:

    Billings is a day 1 starter and easily our best nose.  

    I hope so.  I know we had high expectations when we signed him.

    Has anybody seen the guy...meaning coaches etc.?  My fear is it isn't hard for a guy like that to gain weight if he isn't active.  It's easy to keep consuming 4000 calories a day, but if he isn't burning 2000 a day with exercise he could show up for camp weighing 360 lbs.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #10

    More about Andrew Billings

    Long interview w Akron Beacon-Journal from February. "I've never seen a big man move like he does" - trainer.  Sure, in-season shape is different but he's definitely keeping after it while away from team facilities.

    TLDR - He'll be ready.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Zombo said:

    I see him getting 4th most snaps.

    Z

    Neat.

  • darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Would not surprise me to see Berry trade Sheldon Richardson ..... or at least restructure his $12m salary that is due.

  • Would not surprise me to see Berry trade Sheldon Richardson ..... or at least restructure his $12m salary that is due.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @darren15 said:

    Would not surprise me to see Berry trade Sheldon Richardson ..... or at least restructure his $12m salary that is due.

    this season, I think that trade would be like one step forward, two steps back - except you could be right.

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #14

    There is No reason to move Richardson. 

    He is situated here and has a season under his belt in Woods system.  He’s one of our only vets.  We have no cap issues as we’ve covered our needs and have 8 picks coming.  

    Moving on from him and finding an equal replacement given the circumstances doesn’t move the needle. 

    Woods expects an awful lot out of his Dline.  We need fresh bodies there. 

  • S Silver slayer wrote on last edited by
    #15

    An actual extension for Richardson is what I see, he's actually been the anchor for our rebuilding efforts and to let him go would be a mistake imo

  • Would not surprise me to see Berry trade Sheldon Richardson ..... or at least restructure his $12m salary that is due.

    U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #16

    @darren15 said:

    Would not surprise me to see Berry trade Sheldon Richardson

    not a good idea, he's by far our best DI.. he was deservedly the #13 overall pick his draft year and everyone else was.. later. 

    Elliot has been very underwhelming, Malik is a decent rotation piece but rotation-level and only for the lesser playcount of a rotational player [ask him to do more and he wears down], Billings is solid [#11 DI free agent after 2019, fun 2016 draft rankings.. check out #100] but best thought of as a run-stuffer.

    We could rotate Richardson out to DE to spell Myles and/or Takk if there's not as much confidence in the DE depth.. Sheldon's endurance is pretty great, and he played the DE spot at NYJ.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Well maybe we add Bama's Christian Barmore to the mix as our 1st round pick. Now that there is a player. He may still be there as BPA if we are lucky.

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Jackson's been in the 40's for tackles yearly, more often than not.  That's in line with Ogunjobi.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #19

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #20

    Zombo said:

    You just strike me as ... not smart.

    And a bit of a limited vocabulary.

    Zombo

    Mea Culpa 

    Your curious foresight at Billings snap count seemed to lack the educational component that I prefer seeing my colleagues football opinions based upon before posting.  Ergo, I gave you a snide, yet mostly dismissive response.    If I were to put in the time to give the reasoning behind the numbers I would compile, I don't presume you would offer me that same courtesy in a good faith debate.

    Nope, not intelligent or articulate at all.  

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #21

    Zombo said:

    Billings, despite everyone thinking he was some hot shit free agent last year, was just a depth pick up on a one-year $3.5 Million contract (Jackson being paid a million more) , and while the best "nose", I see using him mostly only on first downs, and then replacing him with the faster guys that can get after the QB. He's a run clogger, but not an every down guy.

    So the guy coming in on 1st, 2nd and short yardage downs will get less snaps then the guys coming in on 3rd and obvious passing situations?  Fact is Billings almost exclusively has that 1gap plugger role on this team, Malik being a pitch count distant 2nd AND health dependent per you.

    Doesn't bode well for the snap count.

    edit: Billings is also 25 and as we've seen, this front office is particularly fond of these younger role players with some upside.  Billings, provided he builds on the good showing in Cincy, might be sticking around longer.

  • Zombo said:

    You just strike me as ... not smart.

    And a bit of a limited vocabulary.

    Zombo

    Mea Culpa 

    Your curious foresight at Billings snap count seemed to lack the educational component that I prefer seeing my colleagues football opinions based upon before posting.  Ergo, I gave you a snide, yet mostly dismissive response.    If I were to put in the time to give the reasoning behind the numbers I would compile, I don't presume you would offer me that same courtesy in a good faith debate.

    Nope, not intelligent or articulate at all.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @tiamat63 said:

    Mea Culpa 

    Your curious foresight at Billings snap count seemed to lack the educational component that I prefer seeing my colleagues football opinions based upon before posting.  Ergo, I gave you a snide, yet mostly dismissive response.    If I were to put in the time to give the reasoning behind the numbers I would compile, I don't presume you would offer me that same courtesy in a good faith debate.

    Nope, not intelligent or articulate at all.  

    "Your colleagues"?   We are your colleagues, aren't we?  Browns fans on the Browns Board.    If you don't think we are your colleagues then who, pray tell do you consider to be your "colleagues".