Skip to content

Andrew Billings eager to 'find my place' on Browns D-line after opt-out season

The Browns Board
49 11 1.5k
  • His weekly thread with link and no additional comment.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @tiamat63 said:

    His weekly thread with link and no additional comment.

    None the less, he posted the news.  That is worth more than your comment.  Just saying

    I am glad to finally hear something about Billings.  It sounds like he has been staying in shape.  I was worried he wouldn't...but we still need to see what kind of shape he is talking about.

    It's also good to read he is eager to go.

  • @vambo said:

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/andrew-billings-eager-to-find-my-place-on-browns-d-line-after-opt-out-season

    Billings returns to the Browns in 2021 after he opted out of the 2020 season due to the risks of the pandemic

    "He kept his body in shape by going to the gym"

    He may as well  have not opted out since we know gyms were major COVID spreaders. Pretty dumb. The precautions the Browns used were far more planned & adequate. Still not sure how MG got it. Anyone know?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @texasag1969 said:

    "He kept his body in shape by going to the gym"

    You don't genuinely believe that a professional athlete is walking into a Planet Fitness, do you?  

    @ballpeen said:

    None the less, he posted the news.  That is worth more than your comment.  Just saying

    My left nut is worth more than everything combined that clown has posted on this entire board.  Yes, that includes the football side as well.  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    "He kept his body in shape by going to the gym"

    He may as well  have not opted out since we know gyms were major COVID spreaders. Pretty dumb. The precautions the Browns used were far more planned & adequate. Still not sure how MG got it. Anyone know?

    Depending on the study you read Gyms are either the Petri dish of covid or they are harmless.

    Having been to the gym 4-5 days a week over the past year.  Masked up.  It seemed harmless for me.  
     

    I will tell you Super Spreaders are the large gatherings in enclosed areas.  Family parties, Weddings.   In a room with walls and roof 50/100/150 people... multiple hours...That got me.  Thankfully my symptoms weren’t bad.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Depending on the study you read Gyms are either the Petri dish of covid or they are harmless.

    Having been to the gym 4-5 days a week over the past year.  Masked up.  It seemed harmless for me.  
     

    I will tell you Super Spreaders are the large gatherings in enclosed areas.  Family parties, Weddings.   In a room with walls and roof 50/100/150 people... multiple hours...That got me.  Thankfully my symptoms weren’t bad.

    Yeah, couldn't have been the gym. LOL!?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    "He kept his body in shape by going to the gym"

    You don't genuinely believe that a professional athlete is walking into a Planet Fitness, do you?  

    @ballpeen said:

    None the less, he posted the news.  That is worth more than your comment.  Just saying

    My left nut is worth more than everything combined that clown has posted on this entire board.  Yes, that includes the football side as well.  

    VamboV Vambo wrote on last edited by Vambo
    #10

    @tiamat63 said:

    You don't genuinely believe that a professional athlete is walking into a Planet Fitness, do you?  

    My left nut is worth more than everything combined that clown has posted on this entire board.  Yes, that includes the football side as well.  

    My post has been better than anything you and your left nut posted in this thread...

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Depending on the study you read Gyms are either the Petri dish of covid or they are harmless.

    Having been to the gym 4-5 days a week over the past year.  Masked up.  It seemed harmless for me.  
     

    I will tell you Super Spreaders are the large gatherings in enclosed areas.  Family parties, Weddings.   In a room with walls and roof 50/100/150 people... multiple hours...That got me.  Thankfully my symptoms weren’t bad.

    Yeah, couldn't have been the gym. LOL!?

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #11

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yeah, couldn't have been the gym. LOL!?

    Haha.  

    Well I quarantined prior to a wedding thinking that I’d make sure I was doing my part. I was in the wedding and the darn bride wouldn’t cancel the dang thing or just go in front of a judge.
     

    so I was working from home, eating at home doing push-ups at home instead of the gym.  So I had it narrowed down pretty well to a super spreader wedding unless someone sneezed on my carry out. 

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #12

    He had a nice sabbatical.  I wonder if Mayock would have cut him had he been a Raider...

    After seeing how well the NFL ran the COVID season (who'd have thunk it) I bet 95% of the opt outs wished they hadn't.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #13

    Well?

    Not sure Myles "Breathless" Garrett would agree with that.

    As for Billings finding his spot... pretty sure it's over Center give or take a gap.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #14

    If anyone on this thread did any research at all on Billings' reasons for opting out, you'd find that he has asthma.. and consulted with his doctor about that decision.  It would have been nice if that fact was in the article linked initially, but the writer likely wasn't given the time to go back and add that context.

    The reason Billings executed the opt-out was the high possibility [due to his asthma] of long-term effects that would prematurely end his career.  Once the vaccines became available, he's more than happy to play.

    Sure, snap judgements are fun - but they're not relevant to Billings.  You might even say that snap judgements are almost always wrong, but nuance is so boring.

  • If anyone on this thread did any research at all on Billings' reasons for opting out, you'd find that he has asthma.. and consulted with his doctor about that decision.  It would have been nice if that fact was in the article linked initially, but the writer likely wasn't given the time to go back and add that context.

    The reason Billings executed the opt-out was the high possibility [due to his asthma] of long-term effects that would prematurely end his career.  Once the vaccines became available, he's more than happy to play.

    Sure, snap judgements are fun - but they're not relevant to Billings.  You might even say that snap judgements are almost always wrong, but nuance is so boring.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @unsympathetic said:

    If anyone on this thread did any research at all on Billings' reasons for opting out, you'd find that he has asthma.. and consulted with his doctor about that decision.  It would have been nice if that fact was in the article linked initially, but the writer likely wasn't given the time to go back and add that context.

    The reason Billings executed the opt-out was the high possibility [due to his asthma] of long-term effects that would prematurely end his career.  Once the vaccines became available, he's more than happy to play.

    Sure, snap judgements are fun - but they're not relevant to Billings.  You might even say that snap judgements are almost always wrong, but nuance is so boring.

    At the end of the day, in one year this disease killed more Americans than WWII, Vietnam and Korea combined.

    I'm not going to fault anyone for taking care of themselves. 

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

    27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

    What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

    This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

  • I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

    27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

    What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

    This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @unsympathetic said:

    I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

    27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

    What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

    This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #18

    Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagons! [John Madden, not Yogi Berra for those of you guessing at home]

    US 2020 stats - overweight 74%, obese 43%.. or, presenting the numbers the same way as above, 31% overweight 43% obese.

  • @unsympathetic said:

    I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

    27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

    What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

    This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    Most. 

  • @unsympathetic said:

    I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

    27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

    What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

    This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    There is nothing more uplifting for a european with a bit of overweight like travelling to the US. Everyone that I know that have traveled there were surprised. 

    Since I'm not into NFL productive comment mood, I'll only add two more comments. 

    1. Reading Planet Fitness makes me think of Pizza Planet, in Toy Story. 

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yeah, couldn't have been the gym. LOL!?

    2. I can relate. For me it's always the ice in the cocktails that gets me wasted on weddings... Never the 20 cocktails. 

    On a serious note. I have allergic rhinitis and I usually have crisis the day after drinking alcohol, so it could be said that alcohol depressing the immune system can have a part in getting a virus. 

  • @unsympathetic said:

    I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

    27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

    What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

    This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

    That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

    The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

    BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

    However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

    That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

    The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

    BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

    However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @tiamat63 said:

    I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

    That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

    The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

    BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

    However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

    The BMI can be ridiculous.

    I remember years ago being in a psych class and four rather round ladies complaining about the BMI. After class, they walked down to the elevator and took it down ONE floor.

    That's about the most American thing I've ever seen. Only thing missing is them carrying AR-15s. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

    That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

    The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

    BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

    However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #23

    @tiamat63 said:

    I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

    That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

    The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

    BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

    However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

    LOL! I inherited very large muscular legs/butt which playing RB has maintained even into my 70's now. Greatest compliment I ever got about 2-3 years ago while playing in tight fitting sweats was from a much younger (30's) black woman, "You've got the best damn looking butt and legs for a white guy I've ever seen. And that's saying something coming from a black lesbian." ??

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #24

    BMI is a "first-order" model; it has caveats.  Chief one is weightlifting.. I'm in that category also.
    Remember the aphorism : All models are wrong, but some are useful.
    BMI as a concept is useful and does apply to the US population as a whole – because the vast majority of USians are not weightlifters.  This is an objective reality that “personal freedom” doesn’t affect.
    Certainly a nonzero chance that genetics may keep BP/heart rate in the good range but that's much less common than guys who lift heavy.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

    That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

    The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

    BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

    However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

    LOL! I inherited very large muscular legs/butt which playing RB has maintained even into my 70's now. Greatest compliment I ever got about 2-3 years ago while playing in tight fitting sweats was from a much younger (30's) black woman, "You've got the best damn looking butt and legs for a white guy I've ever seen. And that's saying something coming from a black lesbian." ??

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @texasag1969 said:

    LOL! I inherited very large muscular legs/butt which playing RB has maintained even into my 70's now. Greatest compliment I ever got about 2-3 years ago while playing in tight fitting sweats was from a much younger (30's) black woman, "You've got the best damn looking butt and legs for a white guy I've ever seen. And that's saying something coming from a black lesbian." ??

    Well, thanks for planting that sweet mental image that will no doubt grow like a weed. 

  • BMI is a "first-order" model; it has caveats.  Chief one is weightlifting.. I'm in that category also.
    Remember the aphorism : All models are wrong, but some are useful.
    BMI as a concept is useful and does apply to the US population as a whole – because the vast majority of USians are not weightlifters.  This is an objective reality that “personal freedom” doesn’t affect.
    Certainly a nonzero chance that genetics may keep BP/heart rate in the good range but that's much less common than guys who lift heavy.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @unsympathetic said:

    BMI is a "first-order" model; it has caveats.  Chief one is weightlifting.. I'm in that category also.
    Remember the aphorism : All models are wrong, but some are useful.
    BMI as a concept is useful and does apply to the US population as a whole – because the vast majority of USians are not weightlifters.  This is an objective reality that “personal freedom” doesn’t affect.
    Certainly a nonzero chance that genetics may keep BP/heart rate in the good range but that's much less common than guys who lift heavy.

    This is true, I guess I've just grown to hate generalities without context.   Yes, the overwhelming majority of those out-of-scale per BMI are not fit by any stretch.