Skip to content

Andrew Billings eager to 'find my place' on Browns D-line after opt-out season

The Browns Board
49 11 1.5k
  • If anyone on this thread did any research at all on Billings' reasons for opting out, you'd find that he has asthma.. and consulted with his doctor about that decision.  It would have been nice if that fact was in the article linked initially, but the writer likely wasn't given the time to go back and add that context.

    The reason Billings executed the opt-out was the high possibility [due to his asthma] of long-term effects that would prematurely end his career.  Once the vaccines became available, he's more than happy to play.

    Sure, snap judgements are fun - but they're not relevant to Billings.  You might even say that snap judgements are almost always wrong, but nuance is so boring.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @unsympathetic said:

    If anyone on this thread did any research at all on Billings' reasons for opting out, you'd find that he has asthma.. and consulted with his doctor about that decision.  It would have been nice if that fact was in the article linked initially, but the writer likely wasn't given the time to go back and add that context.

    The reason Billings executed the opt-out was the high possibility [due to his asthma] of long-term effects that would prematurely end his career.  Once the vaccines became available, he's more than happy to play.

    Sure, snap judgements are fun - but they're not relevant to Billings.  You might even say that snap judgements are almost always wrong, but nuance is so boring.

    At the end of the day, in one year this disease killed more Americans than WWII, Vietnam and Korea combined.

    I'm not going to fault anyone for taking care of themselves. 

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

    27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

    What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

    This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

  • I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

    27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

    What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

    This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @unsympathetic said:

    I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

    27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

    What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

    This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #18

    Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagons! [John Madden, not Yogi Berra for those of you guessing at home]

    US 2020 stats - overweight 74%, obese 43%.. or, presenting the numbers the same way as above, 31% overweight 43% obese.

  • @unsympathetic said:

    I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

    27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

    What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

    This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    Most. 

  • @unsympathetic said:

    I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

    27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

    What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

    This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    There is nothing more uplifting for a european with a bit of overweight like travelling to the US. Everyone that I know that have traveled there were surprised. 

    Since I'm not into NFL productive comment mood, I'll only add two more comments. 

    1. Reading Planet Fitness makes me think of Pizza Planet, in Toy Story. 

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yeah, couldn't have been the gym. LOL!?

    2. I can relate. For me it's always the ice in the cocktails that gets me wasted on weddings... Never the 20 cocktails. 

    On a serious note. I have allergic rhinitis and I usually have crisis the day after drinking alcohol, so it could be said that alcohol depressing the immune system can have a part in getting a virus. 

  • @unsympathetic said:

    I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

    27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

    What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

    This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

    That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

    The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

    BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

    However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

    That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

    The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

    BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

    However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @tiamat63 said:

    I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

    That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

    The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

    BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

    However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

    The BMI can be ridiculous.

    I remember years ago being in a psych class and four rather round ladies complaining about the BMI. After class, they walked down to the elevator and took it down ONE floor.

    That's about the most American thing I've ever seen. Only thing missing is them carrying AR-15s. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

    I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

    That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

    The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

    BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

    However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #23

    @tiamat63 said:

    I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

    That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

    The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

    BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

    However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

    LOL! I inherited very large muscular legs/butt which playing RB has maintained even into my 70's now. Greatest compliment I ever got about 2-3 years ago while playing in tight fitting sweats was from a much younger (30's) black woman, "You've got the best damn looking butt and legs for a white guy I've ever seen. And that's saying something coming from a black lesbian." ??

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #24

    BMI is a "first-order" model; it has caveats.  Chief one is weightlifting.. I'm in that category also.
    Remember the aphorism : All models are wrong, but some are useful.
    BMI as a concept is useful and does apply to the US population as a whole – because the vast majority of USians are not weightlifters.  This is an objective reality that “personal freedom” doesn’t affect.
    Certainly a nonzero chance that genetics may keep BP/heart rate in the good range but that's much less common than guys who lift heavy.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

    That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

    The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

    BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

    However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

    LOL! I inherited very large muscular legs/butt which playing RB has maintained even into my 70's now. Greatest compliment I ever got about 2-3 years ago while playing in tight fitting sweats was from a much younger (30's) black woman, "You've got the best damn looking butt and legs for a white guy I've ever seen. And that's saying something coming from a black lesbian." ??

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @texasag1969 said:

    LOL! I inherited very large muscular legs/butt which playing RB has maintained even into my 70's now. Greatest compliment I ever got about 2-3 years ago while playing in tight fitting sweats was from a much younger (30's) black woman, "You've got the best damn looking butt and legs for a white guy I've ever seen. And that's saying something coming from a black lesbian." ??

    Well, thanks for planting that sweet mental image that will no doubt grow like a weed. 

  • BMI is a "first-order" model; it has caveats.  Chief one is weightlifting.. I'm in that category also.
    Remember the aphorism : All models are wrong, but some are useful.
    BMI as a concept is useful and does apply to the US population as a whole – because the vast majority of USians are not weightlifters.  This is an objective reality that “personal freedom” doesn’t affect.
    Certainly a nonzero chance that genetics may keep BP/heart rate in the good range but that's much less common than guys who lift heavy.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @unsympathetic said:

    BMI is a "first-order" model; it has caveats.  Chief one is weightlifting.. I'm in that category also.
    Remember the aphorism : All models are wrong, but some are useful.
    BMI as a concept is useful and does apply to the US population as a whole – because the vast majority of USians are not weightlifters.  This is an objective reality that “personal freedom” doesn’t affect.
    Certainly a nonzero chance that genetics may keep BP/heart rate in the good range but that's much less common than guys who lift heavy.

    This is true, I guess I've just grown to hate generalities without context.   Yes, the overwhelming majority of those out-of-scale per BMI are not fit by any stretch.

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #27

    We did body fat analysis, urine analysis for hydration and BMI back in the day as a wrestler.  They still do.   The trick was passing hydration but not making your weight too high and recording enough body fat BMI to where you could go a lower weight class.  Most had lower fat percentages, barely passed hydration but had highish BMIs- all looked fit.  Wrestlers typically look fit.   I wouldn’t call anyone of us overweight or obese. 
     

    We had guys not register much with body fat not BMI - in fact we used a hand held device during the year we had some guys register as “error” that were losing major weight. I had a cut from 155 to 127 my frosh year of college- at 127 the hand held read “error” I couldn’t make 125 so I had to go 133. I was cut but some dark circles and major cheek bones showing.  We still had a highish than you would expect BMI number.  We were putting on muscle mass lifting and losing water and fat and a a little muscle if the weight cut was too severe. These UFC guys that miss weight by 2/3/4 pounds - pathetic!! 
     

    Back to opting outs and safety in this pandemic.  I think if you want to push masks, shields, vaccines - no problem and I agree some measures are helping or appear to help- take some personal responsibility and eat right and exercise so you aren’t at risk during pandemics. I’m arguing with my cousin now who does it all except take care of himself (eating right and exercising a little).

  • @texasag1969 said:

    LOL! I inherited very large muscular legs/butt which playing RB has maintained even into my 70's now. Greatest compliment I ever got about 2-3 years ago while playing in tight fitting sweats was from a much younger (30's) black woman, "You've got the best damn looking butt and legs for a white guy I've ever seen. And that's saying something coming from a black lesbian." ??

    Well, thanks for planting that sweet mental image that will no doubt grow like a weed. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @d-bone said:

    Well, thanks for planting that sweet mental image that will no doubt grow like a weed. 

    Well if I wasn't married and she wasn't lesbian I'd damn sure ask her out?. MBA from Northwestern and CEO of her own company. Damn smart woman on top of being good looking.?

  • We did body fat analysis, urine analysis for hydration and BMI back in the day as a wrestler.  They still do.   The trick was passing hydration but not making your weight too high and recording enough body fat BMI to where you could go a lower weight class.  Most had lower fat percentages, barely passed hydration but had highish BMIs- all looked fit.  Wrestlers typically look fit.   I wouldn’t call anyone of us overweight or obese. 
     

    We had guys not register much with body fat not BMI - in fact we used a hand held device during the year we had some guys register as “error” that were losing major weight. I had a cut from 155 to 127 my frosh year of college- at 127 the hand held read “error” I couldn’t make 125 so I had to go 133. I was cut but some dark circles and major cheek bones showing.  We still had a highish than you would expect BMI number.  We were putting on muscle mass lifting and losing water and fat and a a little muscle if the weight cut was too severe. These UFC guys that miss weight by 2/3/4 pounds - pathetic!! 
     

    Back to opting outs and safety in this pandemic.  I think if you want to push masks, shields, vaccines - no problem and I agree some measures are helping or appear to help- take some personal responsibility and eat right and exercise so you aren’t at risk during pandemics. I’m arguing with my cousin now who does it all except take care of himself (eating right and exercising a little).

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @sdbacker80 said:

    take some personal responsibility and eat right and exercise so you aren’t at risk during pandemics. I’m arguing with my cousin now who does it all except take care of himself (eating right and exercising a little).

    Amen 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #30

    For the love of everything holy though, don't go vegan.

    No one needs to hear about your "delicious tofu" meals non-stop. ?

  • For the love of everything holy though, don't go vegan.

    No one needs to hear about your "delicious tofu" meals non-stop. ?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @dutch-oven said:

    For the love of everything holy though, don't go vegan.

    No one needs to hear about your "delicious tofu" meals non-stop. ?

    But we'll listen to his salmon story...

  • For the love of everything holy though, don't go vegan.

    No one needs to hear about your "delicious tofu" meals non-stop. ?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @dutch-oven said:

    For the love of everything holy though, don't go vegan.

    No one needs to hear about your "delicious tofu" meals non-stop. ?

    Well there's always the Popeye diet. ?

    LowSaltSpinach.jpg
  • For the love of everything holy though, don't go vegan.

    No one needs to hear about your "delicious tofu" meals non-stop. ?

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @dutch-oven said:

    For the love of everything holy though, don't go vegan.

    No one needs to hear about your "delicious tofu" meals non-stop. ?

    Dude, let me tell you about my avocado/tofu/soy toast.... breakfast of Champions. 

    @tour2ma said:

    But we'll listen to his salmon story...

    Shhhhhhhhhh.... What's said in The Tavern, stays in The Tavern. 

    @texasag1969 said:

    Well there's always the Popeye diet. ?

    LowSaltSpinach.jpg

    Strong to the finish baby!  

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Just another day for this 53 year old........ 

    1.PNG

    2.PNG