Skip to content

"Under the Radar"

The Browns Board
5 3 845
  • In another thread there was talk about the Browns being "under the radar" and that they might surprise and challenge for a playoff spot. While I personally think that is a remote possibility, I have done some research and have found that it is clearly not unprecedented that a team who is out one year can come back and make a playoff appearance in a subsequent year. In fact, you might even say it is the norm. I am only going to go back to the beginning of this century/millenium/decade with these stats to show how many teams made the NFL playoffs that did NOT make it the previous season:

    2001 Seven teams made the playoffs who did not make them in 2000: Jets, Eagles, Packers, 49ers, Pats, Bears, Steelers

    2002 Five teams made the playoffs who did not make them in 2001: Falcons, Colts, Browns, Giants, Titans.

    2003 Eight teams made the playoffs who did not make them in 2002: Panthers, Cowboys, Ravens, Seahawks, Broncos, Pats, Rams, Chiefs

    2004 Six teams made the playoffs who did not make them in 2003: Jets, Chargers, Vikings, Packers, Steelers, Falcons

    2005 Eight teams made the playoffs who did not make them in 2004: Redskins, Bucs, Jags, Pahnthers, Giants, Bengals, Broncos, Bears

    2006 Seven teams made the playoffs who did not make them in 2005: Cowboys, Chiefs, Eagles, Jets, Saints, Chargers, Ravens

    2007 Six teams made the playoffs who did not make them in 2006: Redskins, Jags, Steelers, Titans, Bucs, Packers

    2008 Seven teams made the playoffs who did not make them in 2007: Cards, Falcons, Eagles, Vikings, Ravens, Dolphins, Panthers

    This averages out to 6.75 teams per year, out of 12 who fail to return to the playoffs the following year. More than half.

    Ergo, of the 12 teams that made it last year: Cardinals, Falcons, Chargers, Colts, Eagles, Vikings, Ravens, Dolphins, Panthers, Titans, Steelers, Giants you can be almost guaranteed that half will not return.

    Who are your favorites candidates to fail to make it back this year?

  • As an aside to the above, The longest current streak of playoff appearances is now the Colts...7 years in a row. The Giants have made it 4 years running, the Chargers 3 years, the Steelers and Titans 2 years in a row.

    Also, the Bills and Lions have not made the playoffs at all this century. Nor have the Texans, but they didn't begin play until 2002.

  • You guys are all underestimating the numbers. History says 6 or 7 won't make it.

    How about these 6:

    AFC East: Dolphins out. Pats replace them back in

    AFC South: Colts streak finally broken. Both Jags and Titans get in

    AFC North: Ravens stumble. Steelers stay in

    AFC West: none fall out. Chargers still make it.

    NFC East: Giants fall short. Eagles stay in, maybe Cowboys make it

    NFC South: Both Panthers and Falcons fall out. Saints make it.

    NFC Central: None fall out. Vikings return and Packers make it in.

    NFC West: None fall out. Cardinals only team from division to make it in.

    I need one more Wild Card team from the AFC. Candidates I have not eliminated are the Jets, Bills, Browns, Bengals, and Texans. I say that one of those "outside the radar" teams make it in, but I can't make up my mind who to choose. The best team of that bunch is likely the DumbAssTexans. I'll let you all choose.

    (bold are new teams not in last year

  • AFC East: Pats

    AFC South: Colts

    AFC North: Squealers

    AFC West: Chargers

    AFC Wildcards: Titans & Jags

    NFC East: Giants

    NFC South: Saints

    NFC North: Bears

    NFC West: Cardinals

    NFC Wildcards: Cowboys & Eagles

    I have 5 new teams this year...a little less than the norm but not unusual.

  • You guys are all underestimating the numbers. History says 6 or 7 won't make it.

    How about these 6:

    AFC East: Dolphins out. Pats replace them back in

    AFC South: Colts streak finally broken. Both Jags and Titans get in

    AFC North: Ravens stumble. Steelers stay in

    AFC West: none fall out. Chargers still make it.

    NFC East: Giants fall short. Eagles stay in, maybe Cowboys make it

    NFC South: Both Panthers and Falcons fall out. Saints make it.

    NFC Central: None fall out. Vikings return and Packers make it in.

    NFC West: None fall out. Cardinals only team from division to make it in.

    I need one more Wild Card team from the AFC. Candidates I have not eliminated are the Jets, Bills, Browns, Bengals, and Texans. I say that one of those "outside the radar" teams make it in, but I can't make up my mind who to choose. The best team of that bunch is likely the DumbAssTexans. I'll let you all choose.

    (bold are new teams not in last year

    @the-gipper said:

    You guys are all underestimating the numbers. History says 6 or 7 won't make it.

    How about these 6:

    AFC East: Dolphins out. Pats replace them back in

    AFC South: Colts streak finally broken. Both Jags and Titans get in

    AFC North: Ravens stumble. Steelers stay in

    AFC West: none fall out. Chargers still make it.

    NFC East: Giants fall short. Eagles stay in, maybe Cowboys make it

    NFC South: Both Panthers and Falcons fall out. Saints make it.

    NFC Central: None fall out. Vikings return and Packers make it in.

    NFC West: None fall out. Cardinals only team from division to make it in.

    I need one more Wild Card team from the AFC. Candidates I have not eliminated are the Jets, Bills, Browns, Bengals, and Texans. I say that one of those "outside the radar" teams make it in, but I can't make up my mind who to choose. The best team of that bunch is likely the DumbAssTexans. I'll let you all choose.

    (bold are new teams not in last year

    I think you're suspicions about the Texans may be right, but I would say the Titans don't make it as a wild card, Miami does.