Sheldon Richardson released
-
He may be worth the money if the middle of our line is butter soft
-
It's about the cap.. it's always about the cap. We simply didn't have the room to keep everyone after signing Clowney. [We didn't actually have room to sign Clowney] I hope at least one of these DE signings works out.. there's a couple more cuts coming.
Or perhaps a bunch of the ST-only guys -- Meander, Malveaux, Derrick Willies, etc
Browns salary obligations are 25.8M over the cap for 2021.. and that's after removing Richardson's contract. The number to pay attention to is "Total Cap Liabilities" - as you know the cap is 182.5. Rookies based on the wage scale are 8.9M. This doesn't include the 1-year rollover [100% of the "cap space" entry of 20.9 on OTC] so 4.9M over if nothing else was happening before season start, 13.8M over when you include the rookie pool.
After this season starts everything from Sashi is dust in the wind; back to zero rollover for 2022!
I'm almost certain first-round will be some DL now.. Both the short contracts of clowney/takk and the Jackson/Billings interior duo are ripe for a long-term solution.
-
I saw the news of this around 3:30.... It still makes no dam* sense, 3 hours later... You just took the 'play angriest' player from your defense.. He deserved to finish the ride thru this season..
When Myles got Covid.. It was Richardson, rallying the troops that it was "your chance to make a name" (several did)... That kind of Veteran leadership will be missed in our locker room...
Wishing you well Shelton Richardson !! my late father, was right from your draft night... Good Luck #98 & stay out of the AFCN.....please ? #hate-it
yeah twitter has gone ape/chit
The Browns waited until today, three months since their season ended, to release Sheldon Richardson. $12 million salary in "contract" turns to dust, most teams done spending. Cold business.The Browns waited until today, three months since their season ended, to release Sheldon Richardson. $12 million salary in "contract" turns to dust, most teams done spending. Cold business.
Shocking news... and not just because we just really downgraded our DT rotation. The above tweet nails it.
This is the type of move UFAs remember when it comes time to pick an employer.
That said.... a resign at a lower price tag would not shock me. I can't help but believe we were trying to restructure SR's contract and he wasn't interested in doing so.
Now? Even if he carries a grudge, if his choice to get paid only 60 or 70% of what he was slated to make or "retire" then we could see him return.
-
The Browns waited until today, three months since their season ended, to release Sheldon Richardson. $12 million salary in "contract" turns to dust, most teams done spending. Cold business.
Shocking news... and not just because we just really downgraded our DT rotation. The above tweet nails it.
This is the type of move UFAs remember when it comes time to pick an employer.
That said.... a resign at a lower price tag would not shock me. I can't help but believe we were trying to restructure SR's contract and he wasn't interested in doing so.
Now? Even if he carries a grudge, if his choice to get paid only 60 or 70% of what he was slated to make or "retire" then we could see him return.
Shocking news... and not just because we just really downgraded our DT rotation. The above tweet nails it.
This is the type of move UFAs remember when it comes time to pick an employer.
That said.... a resign at a lower price tag would not shock me. I can't help but believe we were trying to restructure SR's contract and he wasn't interested in doing so.
Now? Even if he carries a grudge, if his choice to get paid only 60 or 70% of what he was slated to make or "retire" then we could see him return.
I hope this is it. The Browns didn't want to restructure and offered him the same deal as Higgins. They told him a figure they were comfortable with and said see what other teams offer and then come back.
The only problem with this is that they could have done this when free agency started. Clowney's contract didn't put us in cap hell but cutting S.R. now sure makes it seem that way.
-
So DTs to start rounds 1, 2 and 3??
-
So, I ask myself, Are we better with Clowney and no Richardson? Or were we better with Richardson and no Clowney?
We were only truly better for a couple of days. Perhaps they're asking Clowney to put on about 50 pounds.
So, I ask myself, Are we better with Clowney and no Richardson? Or were we better with Richardson and no Clowney?
We were only truly better for a couple of days. Perhaps they're asking Clowney to put on about 50 pounds.
I don't even believe that, I liked the the DLine at this point last year better than I liked it yesterday...
Then they released Richardson.
Still a draft, though, I suppose.
-
So, I ask myself, Are we better with Clowney and no Richardson? Or were we better with Richardson and no Clowney?
We were only truly better for a couple of days. Perhaps they're asking Clowney to put on about 50 pounds.
I don't even believe that, I liked the the DLine at this point last year better than I liked it yesterday...
Then they released Richardson.
Still a draft, though, I suppose.
Still a draft, though, I suppose.
Yeah, but I don't like, at all, creating draft needs.
-
Jackson and Elliott should be able to fill his role and we save a good amount of money. We have Billings beside them so I think we are good with a late round runs stuffer to give him a break.
We are in a good position going into the draft. Maybe we need a #2 corner but I like Samuel alot and Farley might slide.
-
I prefer having Richarsson than having Clowney, so I'm not a fan of this move. And if the timing makes it harder for Richardson to land a good deal with another team, it feels like the Browns have done him dirty and I don't like that.
Maybe he didn't put stellar numbers but he played a lot and made some big plays.
-
don't see this as a 'Clowney vs SR'.. see this as the Money-baller's vs. getting 'my long-tooth money matters to me' players out of our room...
details should surface as the norm, but, i fully believe this was a attempted re-struct that went way sideways... just a opinionated guess..
Hubbard was a re-struct of poor play with some injury... Vernon's was, long in tooth with injuries...This seems long in tooth, but with clean bill of health.. stay tuned
-
The Browns waited until today, three months since their season ended, to release Sheldon Richardson. $12 million salary in "contract" turns to dust, most teams done spending. Cold business.
Shocking news... and not just because we just really downgraded our DT rotation. The above tweet nails it.
This is the type of move UFAs remember when it comes time to pick an employer.
That said.... a resign at a lower price tag would not shock me. I can't help but believe we were trying to restructure SR's contract and he wasn't interested in doing so.
Now? Even if he carries a grudge, if his choice to get paid only 60 or 70% of what he was slated to make or "retire" then we could see him return.
Shocking news... and not just because we just really downgraded our DT rotation. The above tweet nails it.
This is the type of move UFAs remember when it comes time to pick an employer.
That said.... a resign at a lower price tag would not shock me. I can't help but believe we were trying to restructure SR's contract and he wasn't interested in doing so.
Now? Even if he carries a grudge, if his choice to get paid only 60 or 70% of what he was slated to make or "retire" then we could see him return.
Interesting perspective Looks like we all really appreciated what Richardson brought here. Last year at this time I wondered how our defense could handle the loss of Schobert in what looked to be a depleted LB Corps.
Here's the top 5 DT prospects from Athlon's Draft Guide :
1. Daviyon Nixon - Iowa - 6'2" 305 lbs Jr - (2020 stats) 13.5 TFL 5.5 sacks 1 QBH - Final Grade: 1st/2nd round
2. Christian Barmore - Alabama - 6'5" 310 lbs So - (2020 stats) 9.5 TFL 8 sacks 6 QBH - Final Grade: 1st/2nd round
3. Jaylen Twyman - Pittsburgh - 6'2" 295 lbs Jr - (2020 stats) 10.5 TFL 10.5 sacks 2 QBH - Final Grade: 1st/2nd round.
4. Jay Tufele - USC - 6'3" 310 lbs Jr - (2020 stats) 6.5 TFL 4.5 sacks 1 QBH - Final Grade: 1st/2nd round
5. Levi Onwuzurike - Washington - 6'3" 295 lbs Sr - (2020 stats) 6 TFL 2 sacks 0 QBH - Final Grade: 1st/2nd round
Here's the top 5 DT prospects from Lindy's Draft Guide.
1. Daviyon Nixon - Iowa - 6'3" 305 lbs Jr - 40 time 4.95 - Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year. Listed as the Pass Rush Proto-type for the DT position stating: "Nixon fires off the snap like he's been shot out of a cannon, exhibiting rare flexibility to slither through gaps and close on the QB." Final Grade: 1st round
2. Christian Barmore - Alabama - 6'5" 310 lbs So - 40 time 4.94 - Listed as the DT Prototype for Run Defense stating "The broad-shouldered Barmore is built like a barn door and possesses the raw strength and length to corral ballcarriers." Final Grade: 1st round
3. Marvin Wilson - Florida State - 6'4" 305 lbs Sr - 40 time 4.95 - Extremely agile with tremendous strength and ability to fire off the snap. Uses cinder block hands to break the grips of would-be blockers. Knocked down 4 passes as a junior in just 9 games and blocked 3 kicks as a senior. Writer gives him a comparison to the Eagles Fletcher Cox which is high praise especially if that's accurate. - Final Grade: 2nd round.
4. Khyiris Tonga - BYU - 6'3" 340 lbs Sr - 40 time 5.25. Very powerful player that played NG. Shows great quickness for a guy his size and will face a lot of double teams in the trenches. Listed as the Prototype for Intangibles with the following endorsement: "Overshadowed by QB Zach Wison, Tonga was the Cougars' unquestioned star on defense and stayed true to his commitment to Head Coach Kilane Sitake, following him from Utah to rival BYU." Final Grade: 2nd round
5. Levi Onwuzurike - Washington - 6'3" 295 lbs Sr - 40 time 4.96. Listed as DT Prototype for Tackling with this description: "A sleeper of sorts in this class after opting out of of the 2020 season. He recorded an impressive 45 stops in 2019 , showing terrific quickness, balance and the long arms to lasso ballcarriers." - Final Grade: 2nd/3rd round
It doesn't look like there's a Big Sexy that will attract upper/mid 1st round interest here; while the Browns don't pick until #26 overall... Looks to me like we can still add a DT and LB with our 1st 2 picks...
-
Jackson and Elliott should be able to fill his role and we save a good amount of money. We have Billings beside them so I think we are good with a late round runs stuffer to give him a break.
We are in a good position going into the draft. Maybe we need a #2 corner but I like Samuel alot and Farley might slide.
Jackson and Elliott should be able to fill his role and we save a good amount of money.
Elliott played some last season. I didn't see much out of him. I'm sure, as gumby and others said, it's a restructure discussion that did not come to the correct conclusion, from Berry's perspective.
I don't see us drafting a DT in round 1 however.
-
All to do with rolling over some cash to next year to pay for Baker, Ward and Chubb ....would you rather keep the money for Richardson for 1 year and not extend one of the three I just mentioned ? Maybe we sign Maurice Hurst for a lot less..... and he had a similar PFF rating to Richardson ....I mentioned on here recently that Sheldon would be cut ......really good player but thats business.
-
There is an argument for moving S.R. based upon his contract, although they could have waited a year. Plus we don't know if he refused to restructure or not. The other interesting question is the timing. If the Browns are going after a DT in the draft, why couldn't they wait until after the draft to do this, instead of telegraphing their need now? That's the head-scratching part for me.
-
Im totally feeling it was a restructure thing between berry and the agent.
Berry is playing hardball, he knows Richardson won't get a contract offer as high as he was due.
I'd be highly thinking berry cut just ahead of the draft to let the draft play out then re sign him if needed at 60% or something.
-
Jackson and Elliott should be able to fill his role and we save a good amount of money.
Elliott played some last season. I didn't see much out of him. I'm sure, as gumby and others said, it's a restructure discussion that did not come to the correct conclusion, from Berry's perspective.
I don't see us drafting a DT in round 1 however.
Elliott played some last season. I didn't see much out of him. I'm sure, as gumby and others said, it's a restructure discussion that did not come to the correct conclusion, from Berry's perspective.
I don't see us drafting a DT in round 1 however.
Yeah, gun to my head I still think they go either DE or CB.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login