Skip to content

Go Big Or Go Home?

The Browns Board
64 15 2.4k
  • If Jaycee Horn gets past Arizona at 16 I would consider moving up to grab him ....reluctant to use a future 1 tho

  • This draft will be fun for us since so many go before we pick. We can groan and moan all the way along until we see whether we cheer hard or go "WTF was that!!??"??

  • I think you will see a really good run on QBs, Pass catchers and blockers pushing defenders down the list.  At this point I’m more in the camp of moving a 3rd and/or 4th to get into 2nd and take a prospect that may have a first round grade for us.   I think Having three picks in the 26-60 range is ideal.  Adding depth and significant rotational pieces for this season and in 2022 where they will need to take over as starters.


    If I’m going to talk out of the other side of my mouth...you could argue that there is maybe a small handful of teams (5-6) that are one unique talent away from setting themselves apart from everyone else.  Believe it we are there.

    Going for it this year is grabbing Kyle Pitts and giving up some draft capital and the #32 overall pick next year.  Yes- Ballsy.  And He’d be the OBJ insurance for 2022.  I’m not asking him to block DE or OLB (we have that Personnel)...just run by them and the SS and the DB and score TDs on the way to 41-28 type wins let the AFC adjust to the Browns 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Going for it this year is grabbing Kyle Pitts and giving up some draft capital and the #32 overall pick next year.  Yes- Ballsy.  And He’d be the OBJ insurance for 2022.  I’m not asking him to block DE or OLB (we have that Personnel)...j

    But that always tells me (and the defense) that it's a pass play when he's in the game.  Steph likes his guys to block for his run game.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Four weeks ago I mentioned the crazy idea of moving up for Kyle Pitts.

    He might be the weapon to take the team over the top...mismatch red zone threat that would get plenty of single coverage with everything around him.  

    After a move like that and Baker being 2020 Baker and good fortunate (injury free to key players)...why not us?

    so you give up the #32 overall pick next season.

    I honestly don't think our #1 this year & again next year would be enough to get him.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I honestly don't think our #1 this year & again next year would be enough to get him (talking about Kyle Pitts).

    Mike

    @dutch-oven said:

    Hypothetically, lets say it is enough.

    Would you pull the trigger? SDBacker makes a good point - this isn't a top 5 or 10 overall pick we are talking about. 

    Given where our picks are (and should be), there's a good chance I would, but I'm no GM.  I'll trust HIS decision.

    Mike

  • Anyone got any idea what is happening, tweeted 30 minutes ago ...Sheldon Richardson coming back, Gilmore trade ?

     

     
     
    ·
    27m
    L.A.@LA_Broadus
    We got something brewing in Cleveland huh???
     
     
    We got something brewing in Cleveland huh???
  • @canton-mike said:

    I honestly don't think our #1 this year & again next year would be enough to get him (talking about Kyle Pitts).

    Mike

    @dutch-oven said:

    Hypothetically, lets say it is enough.

    Would you pull the trigger? SDBacker makes a good point - this isn't a top 5 or 10 overall pick we are talking about. 

    Given where our picks are (and should be), there's a good chance I would, but I'm no GM.  I'll trust HIS decision.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Given where our picks are (and should be), there's a good chance I would, but I'm no GM.  I'll trust HIS decision.

    Mike

    Are you telling me you are not the General Manager of the Cleveland Browns? 

    No way! ?

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Going for it this year is grabbing Kyle Pitts and giving up some draft capital and the #32 overall pick next year.  Yes- Ballsy.  And He’d be the OBJ insurance for 2022.  I’m not asking him to block DE or OLB (we have that Personnel)...j

    But that always tells me (and the defense) that it's a pass play when he's in the game.  Steph likes his guys to block for his run game.

    @orion said:

    But that always tells me (and the defense) that it's a pass play when he's in the game.  Steph likes his guys to block for his run game.

    That’s fine too And you put the defense in a bind when you have a physical specimen with pass catching skills running a 4.4 40 in tight or split out.  

  • @orion said:

    But that always tells me (and the defense) that it's a pass play when he's in the game.  Steph likes his guys to block for his run game.

    That’s fine too And you put the defense in a bind when you have a physical specimen with pass catching skills running a 4.4 40 in tight or split out.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    That’s fine too And you put the defense in a bind when you have a physical specimen with pass catching skills running a 4.4 40 in tight or split out.  

    Having a TE with those athletic skills could make it difficult for opposing defenses to crowd the Browns at the LOS like Kansas City did in the Divisional Playoff game.

  • Anyone got any idea what is happening, tweeted 30 minutes ago ...Sheldon Richardson coming back, Gilmore trade ?

     

     
     
    ·
    27m
    L.A.@LA_Broadus
    We got something brewing in Cleveland huh???
     
     
    We got something brewing in Cleveland huh???

    @darren15 said:

    Anyone got any idea what is happening, tweeted 30 minutes ago ...Sheldon Richardson coming back, Gilmore trade ?

     

     
     
    ·
    27m
     
     
    We got something brewing in Cleveland huh???

    Not seeing anything on new wires. 

  • I don't know that I would trade up for any non QB.  The pick you give and the player you would have taken are probably better than the value in the player you get in the trade.

  • Not that it matters ?... But I've sat thru many draft sims, Keeping pick #26..

    than trading up (per draft value charts) in 2nd, 3rd & 4th... moving ahead of the Steelers & or Ravens...all but for pick 3.91... we'd get 5 quality picks in the top 127... All 5th thru 7th round picks were traded..

  • Not that it matters ?... But I've sat thru many draft sims, Keeping pick #26..

    than trading up (per draft value charts) in 2nd, 3rd & 4th... moving ahead of the Steelers & or Ravens...all but for pick 3.91... we'd get 5 quality picks in the top 127... All 5th thru 7th round picks were traded..

    @gumby73 said:

    Not that it matters ?... But I've sat thru many draft sims, Keeping pick #26..

    than trading up (per draft value charts) in 2nd, 3rd & 4th... moving ahead of the Steelers & or Ravens...all but for pick 3.91... we'd get 5 quality picks in the top 127... All 5th thru 7th round picks were traded..

    ...makes good sense to me.  Then you go ahead and sign the guys that didn't get drafted in the 7th round.....and they're more or less equivalent to 6th & 7th round picks.

  • I will add to my above comment.  That was more in terms of say a first rounder. I can see trading up when you have multiple picks in a round to move in to a better round...say trade both of our 4th rounders to make it a 3rd round pick.  Then it can make some sense.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Sitting at #26 in the first round this year, the Browns are in the strange (for them) position of having to sit and wait for the first round to play out.

    But is there anyone in this draft that you - if you were in Andrew Berry's shoes - would trade up high enough for that would cost the Browns first rounder next year? 

    Who is the guy in this draft that would make you push all your chips to the center of the table and go all in for? 

    Four weeks ago I mentioned the crazy idea of moving up for Kyle Pitts.

    He might be the weapon to take the team over the top...mismatch red zone threat that would get plenty of single coverage with everything around him.  

    After a move like that and Baker being 2020 Baker and good fortunate (injury free to key players)...why not us?

    so you give up the #32 overall pick next season.

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Four weeks ago I mentioned the crazy idea of moving up for Kyle Pitts. He might be the weapon to take the team over the top...mismatch red zone threat that would get plenty of single coverage with everything around him. 

    Pitts is top of the non-QB list and one of two I'd consider. The other is Parsons.

    Problem is Pitts is a top 6 pick and our 2021 + 2022 1sts won't get you there.

    Parsons? Top 10-ish and the combo gets you very, very close to a deal. That said... there are some very nice, LB consolation prizes both at #26 and on Day 2.

    @sdbacker80 said:

    1. I think you will see a really good run on QBs, Pass catchers and blockers pushing defenders down the list.  At this point I’m more in the camp of moving a 3rd and/or 4th to get into 2nd and take a prospect that may have a first round grade for us.   I think Having three picks in the 26-60 range is ideal.  Adding depth and significant rotational pieces for this season and in 2022 where they will need to take over as starters.
    2. If I’m going to talk out of the other side of my mouth...you could argue that there is maybe a small handful of teams (5-6) that are one unique talent away from setting themselves apart from everyone else.  Believe it we are there.
    1. Agree on your intent, but you can't get a 2nd-round pick for a 3rd + 4th.
    2. We are getting close to there on paper, but my belief needs to see it on the field.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Having a TE with those athletic skills could make it difficult for opposing defenses to crowd the Browns at the LOS like Kansas City did in the Divisional Playoff game.

    Any coach who uses Pitts as a TE should be immediately fired.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Four weeks ago I mentioned the crazy idea of moving up for Kyle Pitts. He might be the weapon to take the team over the top...mismatch red zone threat that would get plenty of single coverage with everything around him. 

    Pitts is top of the non-QB list and one of two I'd consider. The other is Parsons.

    Problem is Pitts is a top 6 pick and our 2021 + 2022 1sts won't get you there.

    Parsons? Top 10-ish and the combo gets you very, very close to a deal. That said... there are some very nice, LB consolation prizes both at #26 and on Day 2.

    @sdbacker80 said:

    1. I think you will see a really good run on QBs, Pass catchers and blockers pushing defenders down the list.  At this point I’m more in the camp of moving a 3rd and/or 4th to get into 2nd and take a prospect that may have a first round grade for us.   I think Having three picks in the 26-60 range is ideal.  Adding depth and significant rotational pieces for this season and in 2022 where they will need to take over as starters.
    2. If I’m going to talk out of the other side of my mouth...you could argue that there is maybe a small handful of teams (5-6) that are one unique talent away from setting themselves apart from everyone else.  Believe it we are there.
    1. Agree on your intent, but you can't get a 2nd-round pick for a 3rd + 4th.
    2. We are getting close to there on paper, but my belief needs to see it on the field.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Having a TE with those athletic skills could make it difficult for opposing defenses to crowd the Browns at the LOS like Kansas City did in the Divisional Playoff game.

    Any coach who uses Pitts as a TE should be immediately fired.

    @tour2ma said:

    Pitts is top of the non-QB list and one of two I'd consider. The other is Parsons.

    Problem is Pitts is a top 6 pick and our 2021 + 2022 1sts won't get you there.

    Parsons? Top 10-ish and the combo gets you very, very close to a deal. That said... there are some very nice, LB consolation prizes both at #26 and on Day 2.

    1. Agree on your intent, but you can't get a 2nd-round pick for a 3rd + 4th.
    2. We are getting close to there on paper, but my belief needs to see it on the field.

    Any coach who uses Pitts as a TE should be immediately fired.

    I don't know.  You can use him as a TE even though he would play more like a slot or wide out.  The people who should be fired are the goofy fans who are worried about his ability to block.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Pitts is top of the non-QB list and one of two I'd consider. The other is Parsons.

    Problem is Pitts is a top 6 pick and our 2021 + 2022 1sts won't get you there.

    Parsons? Top 10-ish and the combo gets you very, very close to a deal. That said... there are some very nice, LB consolation prizes both at #26 and on Day 2.

    1. Agree on your intent, but you can't get a 2nd-round pick for a 3rd + 4th.
    2. We are getting close to there on paper, but my belief needs to see it on the field.

    Any coach who uses Pitts as a TE should be immediately fired.

    I don't know.  You can use him as a TE even though he would play more like a slot or wide out.  The people who should be fired are the goofy fans who are worried about his ability to block.

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't know.  You can use him as a TE even though he would play more like a slot or wide out.  The people who should be fired are the goofy fans who are worried about his ability to block.

    I think it would be a mistake to write off his ability to block 20-30% of the time.  My untrained eye saw Harrison Bryant improve here throughout the year- he wasn’t noted for blocking either.  Pitts would be a Swiss Army knife you would move him around and creat chaos on the other side or the ball.  Let Landry work underneath it all and give OBJ single coverage.  Good Lord!!!

    @tour2ma said:

    Pitts is top of the non-QB list and one of two I'd consider. The other is Parsons.

    Problem is Pitts is a top 6 pick and our 2021 + 2022 1sts won't get you there.

    Parsons? Top 10-ish and the combo gets you very, very close to a deal. That said... there are some very nice, LB consolation prizes both at #26 and on Day 2.

    1. Agree on your intent, but you can't get a 2nd-round pick for a 3rd + 4th.
    2. We are getting close to there on paper, but my belief needs to see it on the field.

    Any coach who uses Pitts as a TE should be immediately fired.

    I stated the precedent from going to 27 to 6.  Unfortunately we were on the wrong end of that deal a decade ago. 

    We could conceivably go from 26 to 7 or 8.  Lions and Panthers both have MANY needs but probably not a QB need - those are trade partners IMO.  

    My assumption is our first round pick is #32 next year. 

  • Apparently Daniel Jeremiah has the Browns trying to trade up to 6 ....Peter King has them moving up to between 15 and 20 ....... maybe we are making a move or its a typical smokescreen .... whatever its fun tho ...my twitter refresh button is broken.

  • Apparently Daniel Jeremiah has the Browns trying to trade up to 6 ....Peter King has them moving up to between 15 and 20 ....... maybe we are making a move or its a typical smokescreen .... whatever its fun tho ...my twitter refresh button is broken.

    @darren15 said:

    Apparently Daniel Jeremiah has the Browns trying to trade up to 6 ....Peter King has them moving up to between 15 and 20 ....... maybe we are making a move or its a typical smokescreen .... whatever its fun tho ...my twitter refresh button is broken.

    Trade up to #6...for what?  

    I personally am not in favor of  trading future  #1 picks on anyone available for this year....and it would almost certainly take that to make such a move.  Using some of our  9 picks to move up some?  Sure.  But not future picks. 

  • I'd be stunned if this FO saw value in moving up that far considering what it would cost

    Seems to go against eveyrthing Berry and DePo are about

  • @ballpeen said:

    I don't know.  You can use him as a TE even though he would play more like a slot or wide out.  The people who should be fired are the goofy fans who are worried about his ability to block.

    I think it would be a mistake to write off his ability to block 20-30% of the time.  My untrained eye saw Harrison Bryant improve here throughout the year- he wasn’t noted for blocking either.  Pitts would be a Swiss Army knife you would move him around and creat chaos on the other side or the ball.  Let Landry work underneath it all and give OBJ single coverage.  Good Lord!!!

    @tour2ma said:

    Pitts is top of the non-QB list and one of two I'd consider. The other is Parsons.

    Problem is Pitts is a top 6 pick and our 2021 + 2022 1sts won't get you there.

    Parsons? Top 10-ish and the combo gets you very, very close to a deal. That said... there are some very nice, LB consolation prizes both at #26 and on Day 2.

    1. Agree on your intent, but you can't get a 2nd-round pick for a 3rd + 4th.
    2. We are getting close to there on paper, but my belief needs to see it on the field.

    Any coach who uses Pitts as a TE should be immediately fired.

    I stated the precedent from going to 27 to 6.  Unfortunately we were on the wrong end of that deal a decade ago. 

    We could conceivably go from 26 to 7 or 8.  Lions and Panthers both have MANY needs but probably not a QB need - those are trade partners IMO.  

    My assumption is our first round pick is #32 next year. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I think it would be a mistake to write off his ability to block 20-30% of the time.  My untrained eye saw Harrison Bryant improve here throughout the year- he wasn’t noted for blocking either.  Pitts would be a Swiss Army knife you would move him around and creat chaos on the other side or the ball.  Let Landry work underneath it all and give OBJ single coverage.  Good Lord!!!

    I stated the precedent from going to 27 to 6.  Unfortunately we were on the wrong end of that deal a decade ago. 

    We could conceivably go from 26 to 7 or 8.  Lions and Panthers both have MANY needs but probably not a QB need - those are trade partners IMO.  

    My assumption is our first round pick is #32 next year. 

    It's not a matter of his blocking ability... the kid has monster, Megatron-like potential as a WR. I would not want him messing around in "the pit"... or even on the edges of it.

    If Bryant gets rolled up while blocking, we won't miss him. If we had a Pitts and that happened? The HC should be summarily executed...

    As for the trade... problem is the team on the other end of the deal would also be assuming that 2022 1st is #32 as well... that's why it's really not enough.

    Plus there's going to be competing bids for Pitts... so the chart is just a starting point.... and a decade ago this chart was just beginning to take hold. The Jimmy Johnson "here's my gut feel" chart was still in wide use.

    https://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/how-to-value-nfl-draft-picks/

    image.png.86750ca2feb4af65286e81c5f8f4e2e8.png