Skip to content

Togiai, Togiai, Togiai !!!

The Browns Board
32 12 1.6k 1
  • 40 reps the BUCKEYES have some real big time athletes !

  • interesting, a lot more talk was about Daviyon Nixon. I love the pick. Nixon went to the Panthers in the fifth round.

  • interesting, a lot more talk was about Daviyon Nixon. I love the pick. Nixon went to the Panthers in the fifth round.

    @calfoxwc said:

    interesting, a lot more talk was about Daviyon Nixon. I love the pick. Nixon went to the Panthers in the fifth round.

    Nixon was a "meh" on film.   The hype was pure media.

    All the sites listing his "bend" and "gap shooting" either lied or hadn't watched a single snap.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    interesting, a lot more talk was about Daviyon Nixon. I love the pick. Nixon went to the Panthers in the fifth round.

    Nixon was a "meh" on film.   The hype was pure media.

    All the sites listing his "bend" and "gap shooting" either lied or hadn't watched a single snap.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Nixon was a "meh" on film.   The hype was pure media.

    All the sites listing his "bend" and "gap shooting" either lied or hadn't watched a single snap.

    Togiai doesn't move like he's muscle bound slow footed.

    40 reps, dayum.

    ********************

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Scouting_Combine#:~:text=At the NFL combine%2C bench press is used,have managed to achieve more than 40 repetitions.

    "At the NFL combine, bench press is used as a test of muscle strength and stamina, in which athletes lift 225 pounds (102 kg) as many times as possible. Since 1999, only 17 men at the combine have managed to achieve more than 40 repetitions. "

  • Impressive, but not a real indicator of how good a player might become.

    The top 10 bench press reps at the NFL scouting combine | Touchdown Wire (usatoday.com)

    Gipper and I talked about this a week or so ago.  It is impressive, but at some point I don't think it adds any real functional advantage for a player.

  • I love Tommy for the Buckeye he is and appreciate having him in Cleveland.  It's nice having our local boys stay home.

    That having been said,  he's a bit of a tweener himself.  He'll be a good rotational piece and a gap sound hog that won't wow you with his twitch and technique.  Really don't expect that much pocket push as a 3tech and he won't start over Billings at the nose/1t barring injury.    He's a great depth piece all over the line - I'm sure he'll contribute when his number is called and give 100%.   

  • I love Tommy for the Buckeye he is and appreciate having him in Cleveland.  It's nice having our local boys stay home.

    That having been said,  he's a bit of a tweener himself.  He'll be a good rotational piece and a gap sound hog that won't wow you with his twitch and technique.  Really don't expect that much pocket push as a 3tech and he won't start over Billings at the nose/1t barring injury.    He's a great depth piece all over the line - I'm sure he'll contribute when his number is called and give 100%.   

    @tiamat63 said:

    I love Tommy for the Buckeye he is and appreciate having him in Cleveland.  It's nice having our local boys stay home.

    That having been said,  he's a bit of a tweener himself.  He'll be a good rotational piece and a gap sound hog that won't wow you with his twitch and technique.  Really don't expect that much pocket push as a 3tech and he won't start over Billings at the nose/1t barring injury.    He's a great depth piece all over the line - I'm sure he'll contribute when his number is called and give 100%.   

    At where he was taken, I'm fine with this... a solid rotational guy who contributes. Sign me up.

    I just wish they had got another guy to go with him on the DLine. He's the only DLineman they added the entire offseason - free agency or the draft - that will be signed beyond this upcoming season. 

    But on the positive note, they really went balls to the wall regarding the future of the back seven. There is young talent all over the place. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I love Tommy for the Buckeye he is and appreciate having him in Cleveland.  It's nice having our local boys stay home.

    That having been said,  he's a bit of a tweener himself.  He'll be a good rotational piece and a gap sound hog that won't wow you with his twitch and technique.  Really don't expect that much pocket push as a 3tech and he won't start over Billings at the nose/1t barring injury.    He's a great depth piece all over the line - I'm sure he'll contribute when his number is called and give 100%.   

    At where he was taken, I'm fine with this... a solid rotational guy who contributes. Sign me up.

    I just wish they had got another guy to go with him on the DLine. He's the only DLineman they added the entire offseason - free agency or the draft - that will be signed beyond this upcoming season. 

    But on the positive note, they really went balls to the wall regarding the future of the back seven. There is young talent all over the place. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    At where he was taken, I'm fine with this... a solid rotational guy who contributes. Sign me up.

    I just wish they had got another guy to go with him on the DLine. He's the only DLineman they added the entire offseason free agency or the draft that will be signed beyond this upcoming season. 

    It's why I was rather hell-bent on McNeil and another 3tech.   We need another piece beyond Billings because I can park Malik, Elliot or Tommy at 3tech and get some results.   But if Billings is out, this team is going to have very real problems keeping their fast yet undersized linebackers clean.  

    We carried 7 linebackers last year. I mentioned we could carry 6, add an additional IDL and still maintain respectable depth and ST contributions.    Like I said, I'm concerned on something people don't pay much attention too - right up the middle. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    At where he was taken, I'm fine with this... a solid rotational guy who contributes. Sign me up.

    I just wish they had got another guy to go with him on the DLine. He's the only DLineman they added the entire offseason free agency or the draft that will be signed beyond this upcoming season. 

    It's why I was rather hell-bent on McNeil and another 3tech.   We need another piece beyond Billings because I can park Malik, Elliot or Tommy at 3tech and get some results.   But if Billings is out, this team is going to have very real problems keeping their fast yet undersized linebackers clean.  

    We carried 7 linebackers last year. I mentioned we could carry 6, add an additional IDL and still maintain respectable depth and ST contributions.    Like I said, I'm concerned on something people don't pay much attention too - right up the middle. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    It's why I was rather hell-bent on McNeil.  We need another piece beyond Billings because I can park Malik, Elliot or Tommy at 3tech and get some results.   But if Billings is out, this team is going to have very real problems keeping their fast yet undersized linebackers clean.  

    Yep, I made this point too earlier today.

    If I was going against the Browns, I'd get all old-school football and try to pound the shit out of the Browns 4-2-5 defense with 215 and 230lb linebackers. The Browns need to be stout up front to keep their back end clean. 

  • Just read that the Browns signed Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State as a free agent. 

    Injuries and inconsistent play caused him to go undrafted, but he has potential. 

  • That's solid.. he's immediately Billings' backup and rosterable

  • Just read that the Browns signed Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State as a free agent. 

    Injuries and inconsistent play caused him to go undrafted, but he has potential. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Just read that the Browns signed Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State as a free agent. 

    Injuries and inconsistent play caused him to go undrafted, but he has potential. 

    Good pickup. #88 overall on drafttek #6 DT on that board. 3-5th round on Walter #7 DT on their board. #135 overall on CBS board, just one ahead of Bobby Brown III drafted by LA Rams @ #117 overall. 

    I have no idea why he went undrafted.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Just read that the Browns signed Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State as a free agent. 

    Injuries and inconsistent play caused him to go undrafted, but he has potential. 

    Good pickup. #88 overall on drafttek #6 DT on that board. 3-5th round on Walter #7 DT on their board. #135 overall on CBS board, just one ahead of Bobby Brown III drafted by LA Rams @ #117 overall. 

    I have no idea why he went undrafted.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Good pickup. #88 overall on drafttek #6 DT on that board. 3-5th round on Walter #7 DT on their board. #135 overall on CBS board, just one ahead of Bobby Brown III drafted by LA Rams @ #117 overall. 

    I have no idea why he went undrafted.

    Injuries.  Techique, motor and inconsistency issues.

    If he commits to being a pro, accepts coaching, conditioning and effort... he could be a great UDFA pick up.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Good pickup. #88 overall on drafttek #6 DT on that board. 3-5th round on Walter #7 DT on their board. #135 overall on CBS board, just one ahead of Bobby Brown III drafted by LA Rams @ #117 overall. 

    I have no idea why he went undrafted.

    Injuries.  Techique, motor and inconsistency issues.

    If he commits to being a pro, accepts coaching, conditioning and effort... he could be a great UDFA pick up.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Injuries.  Techique, motor and inconsistency issues.

    If he commits to being a pro, accepts coaching, conditioning and effort... he could be a great UDFA pick up.

    He's got committed players surrounding him-it's a matter of taking it all in and deciding that is what he wants to be. My money is on him buying in to what this team has going.

  • Can't have this thread on page 4...? It's the off-season

    In case ya missed this? cle.png&h=110&w=110  Don't sleep on this draft pick!

    Cleveland Browns

    DT Tommy Togiai

    The fourth-round pick out of Ohio State has made a splash during both OTAs and minicamp. The combination of power and quickness is there. Considering one of Cleveland's projected starting defensive tackles has an injury history (Malik Jackson) and the other (Andrew Billings) didn't play in 2020 due to COVID-19 concerns, Togiai could become an important piece up front for the Browns. -- Jake Trotter

    full link..      https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31660640/surprise-players-know-nfl-minicamps-all-32-teams

    A Draftnetwork interview... (in full https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/tommy-togiai-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-interview)

    JM: If you could sack one NFL quarterback, or record your first career tackle for loss on any running back, who would you choose?

    TT: As far as sacks go, names like Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes*, and Aaron Rodgers* come to mind. Those are the big-name guys. I’d love to get a sack on one of those guys.

    As far as a TFL goes, probably *Dalvin Cook or Derrick Henry. Any of the top guys in the league would be great. I want that challenge. I wanna go up against the best of the best.          (* on Browns schedule)

    JM: If you could pick the brain of any current NFL defender, who would you choose and why?

    TT: I’d probably say Fletcher Cox or Aaron Donald. I’d love to see what their offseason program looks like. I’d love to know how they approach the run game. I’d ask them their thoughts on how to best rush the passer. I’d ask about the little things like hand usage, get-off, and how they tweak their stances.

    JM: Those are two great choices. I’ve really appreciated your time today, Tommy. In closing, what kind of impact is Tommy Togiai going to make at the next level?

    TT: I’m going to bring a lot of energy with me. I’m gonna bring a physical aspect to the defensive line room. I’ve been taught how to do the little things at a high level. I’m a very physical player. I’m gonna play as hard as I can on each and every snap..

    Justin Melo

    Writer, Interviewer

  • I'm excited for this kid... I feel like we stole a real sleeper here...

  • I'm excited for this kid... I feel like we stole a real sleeper here...

    @nickers said:

    I'm excited for this kid... I feel like we stole a real sleeper here...

    Yep! I'm starting to Iike the fact..that Togiai only had to play 7 Buckeye games last season..2 were bowl games.And he seemed to turn a switch on for both Northwestern & Clemson..I'm watching Newsome vs Togiai's game from 2019? now.. Greedy will have his hands full beating out Newsome..Newsome>Greedy..Togiai is eating up doubles inside & still making impact tackles..When he can't? Buckeyes LBers were eating cats alive..I've got Togiai vs Clemson (2020 playoff) on deck for Wednesday..Should be some pro action in those trenches?..

    found a Fastest 40 mins.. Watch #2 CB Newsome early in this..

    #2 Newsome finishes with 7 tackles... #72 Togiai dominates the middle & gets 4 tackles..  

    edit-https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/28/could-tommy-togiai-have-the-biggest-impact-among-browns-rookies/

  • @nickers said:

    I'm excited for this kid... I feel like we stole a real sleeper here...

    Yep! I'm starting to Iike the fact..that Togiai only had to play 7 Buckeye games last season..2 were bowl games.And he seemed to turn a switch on for both Northwestern & Clemson..I'm watching Newsome vs Togiai's game from 2019? now.. Greedy will have his hands full beating out Newsome..Newsome>Greedy..Togiai is eating up doubles inside & still making impact tackles..When he can't? Buckeyes LBers were eating cats alive..I've got Togiai vs Clemson (2020 playoff) on deck for Wednesday..Should be some pro action in those trenches?..

    found a Fastest 40 mins.. Watch #2 CB Newsome early in this..

    #2 Newsome finishes with 7 tackles... #72 Togiai dominates the middle & gets 4 tackles..  

    edit-https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/28/could-tommy-togiai-have-the-biggest-impact-among-browns-rookies/

    @gumby73 said:

    Yep! I'm starting to Iike the fact..that Togiai only had to play 7 Buckeye games last season..2 were bowl games.And he seemed to turn a switch on for both Northwestern & Clemson..I'm watching Newsome vs Togiai's game from 2019? now.. Greedy will have his hands full beating out Newsome..Newsome>Greedy..Togiai is eating up doubles inside & still making impact tackles..When he can't? Buckeyes LBers were eating cats alive..I've got Togiai vs Clemson (2020 playoff) on deck for Wednesday..Should be some pro action in those trenches?..

    found a Fastest 40 mins.. Watch #2 CB Newsome early in this..

    #2 Newsome finishes with 7 tackles... #72 Togiai dominates the middle & gets 4 tackles..  

    Cool.. I'll watch on my new TV..

  • RIP GIPPER