Skip to content

Togiai, Togiai, Togiai !!!

The Browns Board
32 12 1.6k 1
  • Just read that the Browns signed Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State as a free agent. 

    Injuries and inconsistent play caused him to go undrafted, but he has potential. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @dutch-oven said:

    Just read that the Browns signed Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State as a free agent. 

    Injuries and inconsistent play caused him to go undrafted, but he has potential. 

    Good pickup. #88 overall on drafttek #6 DT on that board. 3-5th round on Walter #7 DT on their board. #135 overall on CBS board, just one ahead of Bobby Brown III drafted by LA Rams @ #117 overall. 

    I have no idea why he went undrafted.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Just read that the Browns signed Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State as a free agent. 

    Injuries and inconsistent play caused him to go undrafted, but he has potential. 

    Good pickup. #88 overall on drafttek #6 DT on that board. 3-5th round on Walter #7 DT on their board. #135 overall on CBS board, just one ahead of Bobby Brown III drafted by LA Rams @ #117 overall. 

    I have no idea why he went undrafted.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #15

    @texasag1969 said:

    Good pickup. #88 overall on drafttek #6 DT on that board. 3-5th round on Walter #7 DT on their board. #135 overall on CBS board, just one ahead of Bobby Brown III drafted by LA Rams @ #117 overall. 

    I have no idea why he went undrafted.

    Injuries.  Techique, motor and inconsistency issues.

    If he commits to being a pro, accepts coaching, conditioning and effort... he could be a great UDFA pick up.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Good pickup. #88 overall on drafttek #6 DT on that board. 3-5th round on Walter #7 DT on their board. #135 overall on CBS board, just one ahead of Bobby Brown III drafted by LA Rams @ #117 overall. 

    I have no idea why he went undrafted.

    Injuries.  Techique, motor and inconsistency issues.

    If he commits to being a pro, accepts coaching, conditioning and effort... he could be a great UDFA pick up.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @tiamat63 said:

    Injuries.  Techique, motor and inconsistency issues.

    If he commits to being a pro, accepts coaching, conditioning and effort... he could be a great UDFA pick up.

    He's got committed players surrounding him-it's a matter of taking it all in and deciding that is what he wants to be. My money is on him buying in to what this team has going.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Can't have this thread on page 4...? It's the off-season

    In case ya missed this? cle.png&h=110&w=110  Don't sleep on this draft pick!

    Cleveland Browns

    DT Tommy Togiai

    The fourth-round pick out of Ohio State has made a splash during both OTAs and minicamp. The combination of power and quickness is there. Considering one of Cleveland's projected starting defensive tackles has an injury history (Malik Jackson) and the other (Andrew Billings) didn't play in 2020 due to COVID-19 concerns, Togiai could become an important piece up front for the Browns. -- Jake Trotter

    full link..      https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31660640/surprise-players-know-nfl-minicamps-all-32-teams

    A Draftnetwork interview... (in full https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/tommy-togiai-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-interview)

    JM: If you could sack one NFL quarterback, or record your first career tackle for loss on any running back, who would you choose?

    TT: As far as sacks go, names like Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes*, and Aaron Rodgers* come to mind. Those are the big-name guys. I’d love to get a sack on one of those guys.

    As far as a TFL goes, probably *Dalvin Cook or Derrick Henry. Any of the top guys in the league would be great. I want that challenge. I wanna go up against the best of the best.          (* on Browns schedule)

    JM: If you could pick the brain of any current NFL defender, who would you choose and why?

    TT: I’d probably say Fletcher Cox or Aaron Donald. I’d love to see what their offseason program looks like. I’d love to know how they approach the run game. I’d ask them their thoughts on how to best rush the passer. I’d ask about the little things like hand usage, get-off, and how they tweak their stances.

    JM: Those are two great choices. I’ve really appreciated your time today, Tommy. In closing, what kind of impact is Tommy Togiai going to make at the next level?

    TT: I’m going to bring a lot of energy with me. I’m gonna bring a physical aspect to the defensive line room. I’ve been taught how to do the little things at a high level. I’m a very physical player. I’m gonna play as hard as I can on each and every snap..

    Justin Melo

    Writer, Interviewer

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I'm excited for this kid... I feel like we stole a real sleeper here...

  • I'm excited for this kid... I feel like we stole a real sleeper here...

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #19

    @nickers said:

    I'm excited for this kid... I feel like we stole a real sleeper here...

    Yep! I'm starting to Iike the fact..that Togiai only had to play 7 Buckeye games last season..2 were bowl games.And he seemed to turn a switch on for both Northwestern & Clemson..I'm watching Newsome vs Togiai's game from 2019? now.. Greedy will have his hands full beating out Newsome..Newsome>Greedy..Togiai is eating up doubles inside & still making impact tackles..When he can't? Buckeyes LBers were eating cats alive..I've got Togiai vs Clemson (2020 playoff) on deck for Wednesday..Should be some pro action in those trenches?..

    found a Fastest 40 mins.. Watch #2 CB Newsome early in this..

    #2 Newsome finishes with 7 tackles... #72 Togiai dominates the middle & gets 4 tackles..  

    edit-https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/28/could-tommy-togiai-have-the-biggest-impact-among-browns-rookies/

  • @nickers said:

    I'm excited for this kid... I feel like we stole a real sleeper here...

    Yep! I'm starting to Iike the fact..that Togiai only had to play 7 Buckeye games last season..2 were bowl games.And he seemed to turn a switch on for both Northwestern & Clemson..I'm watching Newsome vs Togiai's game from 2019? now.. Greedy will have his hands full beating out Newsome..Newsome>Greedy..Togiai is eating up doubles inside & still making impact tackles..When he can't? Buckeyes LBers were eating cats alive..I've got Togiai vs Clemson (2020 playoff) on deck for Wednesday..Should be some pro action in those trenches?..

    found a Fastest 40 mins.. Watch #2 CB Newsome early in this..

    #2 Newsome finishes with 7 tackles... #72 Togiai dominates the middle & gets 4 tackles..  

    edit-https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/28/could-tommy-togiai-have-the-biggest-impact-among-browns-rookies/

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @gumby73 said:

    Yep! I'm starting to Iike the fact..that Togiai only had to play 7 Buckeye games last season..2 were bowl games.And he seemed to turn a switch on for both Northwestern & Clemson..I'm watching Newsome vs Togiai's game from 2019? now.. Greedy will have his hands full beating out Newsome..Newsome>Greedy..Togiai is eating up doubles inside & still making impact tackles..When he can't? Buckeyes LBers were eating cats alive..I've got Togiai vs Clemson (2020 playoff) on deck for Wednesday..Should be some pro action in those trenches?..

    found a Fastest 40 mins.. Watch #2 CB Newsome early in this..

    #2 Newsome finishes with 7 tackles... #72 Togiai dominates the middle & gets 4 tackles..  

    Cool.. I'll watch on my new TV..

  • TypicalBrowns50T TypicalBrowns50 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    RIP GIPPER

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Zombo said:

    I feel like this is the surprisingly good pick this year, and I'm not even an OSU guy.

    Z

    I agree.  

    No doubt the kid is stout.  With the trend going to less and smaller backers, it will be important to have a guy on the line who can neutralize 2 blockers in the run game.  If he does that, I don't really care about sack totals.  Bob Golic wasn't a big sack guy, but he could lock down the middle of the line.

  • Zombo said:

    I feel like this is the surprisingly good pick this year, and I'm not even an OSU guy.

    Z

    I agree.  

    No doubt the kid is stout.  With the trend going to less and smaller backers, it will be important to have a guy on the line who can neutralize 2 blockers in the run game.  If he does that, I don't really care about sack totals.  Bob Golic wasn't a big sack guy, but he could lock down the middle of the line.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree.  

    No doubt the kid is stout.  With the trend going to less and smaller backers, it will be important to have a guy on the line who can neutralize 2 blockers in the run game.  If he does that, I don't really care about sack totals.  Bob Golic wasn't a big sack guy, but he could lock down the middle of the line.

    That's what Billings role is.  Double T will likely see most of his early work as a 3tech.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I agree.  

    No doubt the kid is stout.  With the trend going to less and smaller backers, it will be important to have a guy on the line who can neutralize 2 blockers in the run game.  If he does that, I don't really care about sack totals.  Bob Golic wasn't a big sack guy, but he could lock down the middle of the line.

    That's what Billings role is.  Double T will likely see most of his early work as a 3tech.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #24

    @tiamat63 said:

    That's what Billings role is.  Double T will likely see most of his early work as a 3tech.

    Agree, with maybe some 5, if we see see any wide 9 from our DEs... but who rotates in for Billings is TBD.

    Elliott looks likely, but TBD...

    Of course if Billings does his job on early downs then size at the IDL is not needed.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    That's what Billings role is.  Double T will likely see most of his early work as a 3tech.

    Agree, with maybe some 5, if we see see any wide 9 from our DEs... but who rotates in for Billings is TBD.

    Elliott looks likely, but TBD...

    Of course if Billings does his job on early downs then size at the IDL is not needed.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #25

    @tour2ma said:

    Agree, with maybe some 5, if we see see any wide 9 from our DEs... but who rotates in for Billings is TBD.

    Elliott looks likely, but TBD...

    Of course if Billings does his job on early downs then size at the IDL is not needed.

    Elliot, with his more "trim" look (per camp description) was drafted to be the future starting 3 tech.  Jackson is the elder statesman who will get first and last crack, spelled 2nd and 3rd qtr.  I would suspect that Double T gets looks at both spots given his natural strength over Elliot.  There's a good amount of depth at our 3spot and the shade, especially on passing downs and situations or in relief, will likely be T2.  But is there anyone who can come in and be what Billings was for Cincy?  Not currently on roster. 

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @gumby73

    To answer your deleted post.  Depends on what Billings and the coaches + trainers want his body composition at.

    But I'd venture between 310-320lbs.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I agree.  

    No doubt the kid is stout.  With the trend going to less and smaller backers, it will be important to have a guy on the line who can neutralize 2 blockers in the run game.  If he does that, I don't really care about sack totals.  Bob Golic wasn't a big sack guy, but he could lock down the middle of the line.

    That's what Billings role is.  Double T will likely see most of his early work as a 3tech.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @tiamat63 said:

    That's what Billings role is.  Double T will likely see most of his early work as a 3tech.

    Possibly so.  I wouldn't mind having 2 who can do that.  Billings isn't going to play every down.

  • @gumby73

    To answer your deleted post.  Depends on what Billings and the coaches + trainers want his body composition at.

    But I'd venture between 310-320lbs.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @tiamat63 said:

    @gumby73

    To answer your deleted post.  Depends on what Billings and the coaches + trainers want his body composition at.

    But I'd venture between 310-320lbs.

    Thanks! I'm not sure what happen? It was there before my bedtime...It was gone at sunrise, before i left to go to work...

    I think Billings is in good company... https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/01/large-contingent-of-browns-training-together-at-brandon-marshalls-florida-facility/

    Maybe Billings deleted it? ?

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #29

    "House of Athlete"

    The name sems wrong at first, but grows on you quickly... at least it did me.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #30

    It has certainly gained a solid rep with top level athletes. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    @gumby73

    To answer your deleted post.  Depends on what Billings and the coaches + trainers want his body composition at.

    But I'd venture between 310-320lbs.

    Thanks! I'm not sure what happen? It was there before my bedtime...It was gone at sunrise, before i left to go to work...

    I think Billings is in good company... https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/01/large-contingent-of-browns-training-together-at-brandon-marshalls-florida-facility/

    Maybe Billings deleted it? ?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #31

    @gumby73 said:

    Thanks! I'm not sure what happen? It was there before my bedtime...It was gone at sunrise, before i left to go to work...

    I think Billings is in good company... https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/01/large-contingent-of-browns-training-together-at-brandon-marshalls-florida-facility/

    Maybe Billings deleted it? ?

    That's outstanding, because Myles and Billings are (as a duo) the most important players on this front.     Malik out there being the elder statesman and working with the younger IDL is fantastic.  I'm sure Billings wants to prove his worth at his job and secure a long(er) term contract.     And you guys know me, I love my reasonably priced interior hogs.  

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #32

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-breakdowns-what-dt-tommy-togiai-brings-to-the-d-line

    https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/browns/2021/08/01/cleveland-browns-strongmen-andrew-billings-jordan-elliott-slim-down/5444373001/

    I've got to renew my Akron Beacon Journal acct... so I'll post this last one until i can get around to it.. ^^^

    Andrew Billings lost 20lbs from Mandatory Camp... to Training Camp ?

     think Billings is in good company... 

    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/01/large-contingent-of-browns-training-together-at-brandon-marshalls-florida-facility/    

    Browns notebook: Andrew Billings, Jordan Elliott drop weight, show their strength

    Nate UlrichMarla Ridenour
    Akron Beacon Journal
     
     
     
     
    0:44
    1:06
     
     
    Defensive tackle Andrew Billings during the second day of Browns training camp
     

    BEREA — Andrew Billings dropped the weight the Browns requested, and Jordan Elliott actually lost a little too much in the eyes of the coaching staff.

    Browns defensive line coach Chris Kiffin outlined the physical changes of defensive tackles Billings and Elliott in a pre-practice news conference Saturday.

    Billings is intriguing because he has a chance to start after opting out of the 2020 season due to COVID-19 concerns specifically tied to his severe asthma. He has been practicing with the first-team defense all offseason.

    Coach Kevin Stefanski noted he hadn't met Billings, a former Cincinnati Bengals starter, in person until this spring. The Browns signed Billings in March 2020 to a one-year contract worth $3.5 million fully guaranteed.

    “First of all, he's the strongest guy I've ever seen — state high school [powerlifting] champion [in Texas],” Kiffin said. “He lifts up our sled — it's like 2,000 pounds. So just straight strength, first of all.

     

    “He lost 20 pounds this offseason, got down to the range we wanted him at and he's working his tail off. He missed a lot last year. He told us he missed being out there with the guys, and he's excited to be back. We'll see what we get when we get rolling, but we're excited about him.”

    Kiffin insisted he wasn't being hyperbolic about the strength of Billings, listed at 6-foot-1 and 328 pounds, and Stefanski agreed with the assessment.

    “Andrew did a great job working on his body. He really did. He's in a good spot,” Stefanski said. “He's extremely powerful. You should hear the weight coaches talk about his power.

    “He's rare. He has a rare ability to move people.”

    Cleveland Browns' Jordan Elliott chases down Washington's Antonio Gibson during a third quarter run on Sunday, Sept. 27, 2020 in Cleveland, Ohio at FirstEnergy Stadium. The Browns won the game 34-20. [Phil Masturzo/ Beacon Journal]
     

    A 2020 third-round draft pick, Elliott has Kiffin “super excited” because of how he performed last season as a rookie despite the pandemic limiting the amount of in-person coaching he could receive. Elliott appeared in all 18 games, including the playoffs.

    “He focused on running [this offseason]. Obviously, he focused on lifting as well,” Kiffin said. “He’s a very strong kid, but he did lean down. He’s in the 285 range right now, but we want him to play closer to 290-3[00 pounds], something like that, where he’s not going to get bounced around. But he is a really strong kid.

     

    “What he felt like last year was he couldn’t turn and run and be consistent play to play getting after ball carriers downfield, things like that. So he challenged himself in that area, and I’m proud of him for that. Now it’s just about maintaining, putting on some good weight as we work through training camp and not getting lighter.”

    — Nate Ulrich