Haslam and soccer
-
This is a very old school board (check the poli board). Talk of soccer causes them to react angrily.
This is a very old school board (check the poli board). Talk of soccer causes them to react angrily.
Old school new school has nothing to do with it. Bring a team to Cleveland and it will be supported.
-
How many of you follow soccer?
How many call yourselves a supporter of the Haslam's team, Columbus Crew?
Why or why not?
On a scale of 1-10 how popular do you believe soccer or the Crew are in NE Ohio?
How many of you follow soccer?
How many call yourselves a supporter of the Haslam's team, Columbus Crew?
Why or why not?
On a scale of 1-10 how popular do you believe soccer or the Crew are in NE Ohio?
To be perfectly honest I have always watched the USA Soccer
teams especially the women's teams the World Cup and Olympics but near zero interest after that.
My sports 1a NCAA football 1b NFL and BROWNS football 2 Cleveland Indians baseball. After that maybe the Olympics, March Madness, and then a mix of other things.
I just have no real interest or time really in soccer or as I call it "recess for big kids".

I did play some soccer in high school in the summer as part of our football ? full contact practice workouts with NO yellow and red cards.
Oh I am a boomer at 70 and did play football with helmets and pads since 5th grade, raised on real American football !
-
Personally I don't watch soccer but I know some people who do. It actually looks like a pretty exhausting sport! I think sometimes suburban parents guide their kids into soccer if they are athletic at all to keep them from having to compete against inner city negros in high school football. One cool thing about European soccer is thatWe have a handful of new Browns fans from England thanks to previous Browns ownership, Randy Lerner, having an English soccer team.
PS have tried but can't really get much into hockey either.
WSS
-
Zombo said:
I think parents may guide their kids to soccer because it is less violent than football. I don't think it has anything to do with "inner-city negros".
Who talks like that, is it 1965?
Z
Well Z I think you're wrong. I don't have kids or grandkids but I do hear people from Lily white middle schools worrying about playing the inner city kids. Sure football is a tougher sport. But. From what I hear basketball for little kids is even worse because the city version is a lot tougher.
PSI am sure that's not the only reason but I guarantee it's one.
WSS
-
Zombo said:
I think parents may guide their kids to soccer because it is less violent than football. I don't think it has anything to do with "inner-city negros".
Who talks like that, is it 1965?
Z
Steve does
He also tells "broads" "not to dress like that" .... So ... Yeah
The biggest injury issues with soccer are ACL/knee injuries, especially with pre teen kids in very competitive leagues. Hell I just finished PT on a knee injury from my mid 20s. Also a lot of concern around concussions.
-
Zombo said:
I think parents may guide their kids to soccer because it is less violent than football. I don't think it has anything to do with "inner-city negros".
Who talks like that, is it 1965?
Z
Steve does
He also tells "broads" "not to dress like that" .... So ... Yeah
The biggest injury issues with soccer are ACL/knee injuries, especially with pre teen kids in very competitive leagues. Hell I just finished PT on a knee injury from my mid 20s. Also a lot of concern around concussions.
Steve does
He also tells "broads" "not to dress like that" .... So ... Yeah
The biggest injury issues with soccer are ACL/knee injuries, especially with pre teen kids in very competitive leagues. Hell I just finished PT on a knee injury from my mid 20s. Also a lot of concern around concussions.
Actually Woodpecker you are not only an idiot but a liar as well. Thanks.
WSS
-
Zombo said:
I like the term "broads". I was thinking of bringing it back.
Zombo
Actually I think the word Dame has a nice ring to it
WSS
-
I am a huuuge Crew fan. Got into it when I lived down in Dayton. Haslam saved the Crew. It will always be the Crew. This name change is fucking stupid. I guess if you want to emulate the soulless european leagues that's fine. The quality of play might be on par with them in the next two decades, but as of now you see all our best young talent leave the league to go play in europe.
-
Zombo said:
I like the term "broads". I was thinking of bringing it back.
Zombo
We used to call Women Marines BAM's. (Broad Assed Marines).
-
Zombo said:
I think parents may guide their kids to soccer because it is less violent than football. I don't think it has anything to do with "inner-city negros".
Who talks like that, is it 1965?
Z
That is absolutely the reason why the soccer mom's (and dads) are pushing their kids away from the traditional American tackle football. All those shows on PBS, 60 Minutes, ESPN about CTE and it's relationship with primarily football along with boxing has scared parents from letting their kids from playing contact tackle football from pee-wee on up. They would rather have their kids play something safer (and cheaper!) like soccer, softball, tennis, golf or just hanging around in the basement playing video games.

Even the NFL (backed by their band of lawyers) had to reluctantly do something about the problem.
Now soccer is also not 100% safe but is way less grueling than tackle football on the human body especially at the lower levels and apparently is better than nothing at getting their lazy kids out of the basement and do something.
Meanwhile the affects of CTE and other injuries will still linger on at a somewhat lesser level due to some measures already being taken -but- soccer is growing and is here to stay.
........ edit add, I also saw this some progress has come on this topic.
As of 2015, all 50 states have adopted some form of concussion legislation with minimum return-to-play guidelines for students who have had concussions.
-
I watch the English Premier League a lot. Favorite team is Liverpool
Not all, but most, of the best players in the world play there. It is way better soccer then the MLS.
The difference between the talent in MLS and EPL is equivalent to D2 college football and the NFL
-
I watch the English Premier League a lot. Favorite team is Liverpool
Not all, but most, of the best players in the world play there. It is way better soccer then the MLS.
The difference between the talent in MLS and EPL is equivalent to D2 college football and the NFL
I watch the English Premier League a lot. Favorite team is Liverpool
Not all, but most, of the best players in the world play there. It is way better soccer then the MLS.
The difference between the talent in MLS and EPL is equivalent to D2 college football and the NFL
Then why did Rooney, and Beckham and all these other big name stars come over here to play?
-
I watch the English Premier League a lot. Favorite team is Liverpool
Not all, but most, of the best players in the world play there. It is way better soccer then the MLS.
The difference between the talent in MLS and EPL is equivalent to D2 college football and the NFL
Then why did Rooney, and Beckham and all these other big name stars come over here to play?
Then why did Rooney, and Beckham and all these other big name stars come over here to play?
End of their career money grab. Only the older guys move from EPL to MLS
They were done at the highest level so they moved down in class to cash in one last payday
-
Then why did Rooney, and Beckham and all these other big name stars come over here to play?
End of their career money grab. Only the older guys move from EPL to MLS
They were done at the highest level so they moved down in class to cash in one last payday
End of their career money grab. Only the older guys move from EPL to MLS
They were done at the highest level so they moved down in class to cash in one last payday
Well, Phil Mickelson was supposed to be done as well.
-
End of their career money grab. Only the older guys move from EPL to MLS
They were done at the highest level so they moved down in class to cash in one last payday
Well, Phil Mickelson was supposed to be done as well.
Well, Phil Mickelson was supposed to be done as well.
Golf is a little different
-
Well, Phil Mickelson was supposed to be done as well.
Golf is a little different
Golf is a little different
Tom Brady was supposed to be done as well. Is that better?
-
Golf is a little different
Tom Brady was supposed to be done as well. Is that better?
-
No, he was not
WSS
Some thought so, i.e. BB apparently.
-
No, he was not
WSS
Some thought so, i.e. BB apparently.
Some thought so, i.e. BB apparently.
There is absolutely no reason for anybody to think that.
WSS
-
Some thought so, i.e. BB apparently.
There is absolutely no reason for anybody to think that.
WSS
There is absolutely no reason for anybody to think that.
WSS
Actually there has been plenty of speculation and plenty of evidence about just THAT based on indices that were given off...including the fact that BB was wanting to groom Jimmy Garropolo to replace Brady some years earlier. In essence, BB was forced to go along with the trade that sent JG to SFO. In fact, apparently BB wanted to actually trade Brady to SFO and not Garrapolo (per John Lynch...49ers GM). Robert Kraft would have none of that. Just like when he thought Bernie Kosar was done, BB thought that Brady may have been done and was looking to replace him. Its a main reason Brady moved out of there when he did.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login