Skip to content

START JAMES DAVIS

The Browns Board
52 20 3.5k
  • Yo mz the pussy, hate to burst your bubble but pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is not a statistic, it's a fact...

    These kind of statistics may be good for your fantasy league but in the real world they're just numbers with misleading values...

    I spent a 36 year career in engineering, was a VP of engineering for the last 12 years of my career and was compensated with a 6 figure income... A big part of my responsibilities was overseeing the estimating function.... When you're bidding on manufacturing a million widgets and you use straight line statistics you either hit it big or lose the ranch... If you want a lesson in regressions drop me a line... I can educate you, for a price that is...

    BTW the topic of this thread was to start Davis now... I'm just trying to point out that it's way too early to annoint him the starter... However, I do like his game, he could end up being the steal of the draft....

    Peace

    T.Dawg

  • Yo mz the pussy, hate to burst your bubble but pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is not a statistic, it's a fact...

    These kind of statistics may be good for your fantasy league but in the real world they're just numbers with misleading values...

    I spent a 36 year career in engineering, was a VP of engineering for the last 12 years of my career and was compensated with a 6 figure income... A big part of my responsibilities was overseeing the estimating function.... When you're bidding on manufacturing a million widgets and you use straight line statistics you either hit it big or lose the ranch... If you want a lesson in regressions drop me a line... I can educate you, for a price that is...

    BTW the topic of this thread was to start Davis now... I'm just trying to point out that it's way too early to annoint him the starter... However, I do like his game, he could end up being the steal of the draft....

    Peace

    T.Dawg

    @daddybull1 said:

    Yo mz the pussy, hate to burst your bubble but pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is not a statistic, it's a fact...

    So James Davis breaking off an 81-yard TD yesterday was a figment of my imagination?

    My point is both circumstances are FACTS one cannot dispute. You may for some reason wish to massage the stats in such a way as to make them more palatable for you, but they are facts nevertheless.

    Your six-fig salary does impress me though. 😎🙄

  • Here's the facts as I see them. Jamal Lewis would have been tackled at the line of scrimmage on that play. Ytown is right, Davis is getting arm tackled and he left some yards out there on that draw. However, I would start him right now and use Harrison as the third down back.

    You guys gotta get it in your head, Lewis blows bad man. That 81 yard run probably means a win in a regular season game. He made that play based on a wicked cut and then buried his head and took it to the house. The kid is the real deal, and I am the first to admit I missed bad on this cat.

    I can still cling to Glue Hands Hubbard sucking balls though. Hey Shep, is he still starting?

    I drafted Davis in one of my league's tonight.

    RAC 'n ROLLS ain't coaching here no more folks, we may have the best guy play. Lewis can go into operation poutdown and it won't matter.

  • Davis breaking off an 81 yard run was a fact the same as pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is a fact...Agreed you cannot dispute the facts but you can dispute the value of the statistics...

    Let me explain it to you this way:

    You're hunting bear...Your 1st shot misses one inch to the right.. Your 2nd shot misses 1 inch to the left... Statistically you hit the bastard right between the eyes but in reality you were the bears lunch.....

    When you're trying to make a value judgement based on straight line statistics you're setting your self up for failure... Thats not a statistic, thats a fact.......

    Peace

    T.Dawg

  • Yo mz the pussy, hate to burst your bubble but pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is not a statistic, it's a fact...

    These kind of statistics may be good for your fantasy league but in the real world they're just numbers with misleading values...

    I spent a 36 year career in engineering, was a VP of engineering for the last 12 years of my career and was compensated with a 6 figure income... A big part of my responsibilities was overseeing the estimating function.... When you're bidding on manufacturing a million widgets and you use straight line statistics you either hit it big or lose the ranch... If you want a lesson in regressions drop me a line... I can educate you, for a price that is...

    BTW the topic of this thread was to start Davis now... I'm just trying to point out that it's way too early to annoint him the starter... However, I do like his game, he could end up being the steal of the draft....

    Peace

    T.Dawg

    @daddybull1 said:

    Yo mz the pussy, hate to burst your bubble but pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is not a statistic, it's a fact...

    I spent a 36 year career in engineering, was a VP of engineering for the last 12 years of my career and was compensated with a 6 figure income... A big part of my responsibilities was overseeing the estimating function.... When you're bidding on manufacturing a million widgets and you use straight line statistics you either hit it big or lose the ranch... If you want a lesson in regressions drop me a line... I can educate you, for a price that is...

    Sorry, but that IS a statistic, i.e. a numerical datum.

    Kudos on your career, but evidently you were a little too eager in your effort to pat yourself on the back and forgot some fundamentals.

  • OK T.Dawg, you seem to be arguing that James Davis sucked other than that huge run. Which is fine. My position is one that believes you're grossly devaluing that one huge run, pretty much labeling it an anomaly.

    And I'm not basing my judgment on straight-line stats. I'm basing my judgment on watching him break that run, knowing our current starter, just as Riff believes, gets zero on that play. That right there has inherent value for me.

  • Davis breaking off an 81 yard run was a fact the same as pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is a fact...Agreed you cannot dispute the facts but you can dispute the value of the statistics...

    Let me explain it to you this way:

    You're hunting bear...Your 1st shot misses one inch to the right.. Your 2nd shot misses 1 inch to the left... Statistically you hit the bastard right between the eyes but in reality you were the bears lunch.....

    When you're trying to make a value judgement based on straight line statistics you're setting your self up for failure... Thats not a statistic, thats a fact.......

    Peace

    T.Dawg

    @daddybull1 said:

    Davis breaking off an 81 yard run was a fact the same as pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is a fact...Agreed you cannot dispute the facts but you can dispute the value of the statistics...

    Let me explain it to you this way:

    You're hunting bear...Your 1st shot misses one inch to the right.. Your 2nd shot misses 1 inch to the left... Statistically you hit the bastard right between the eyes but in reality you were the bears lunch.....

    When you're trying to make a value judgement based on straight line statistics you're setting your self up for failure... Thats not a statistic, thats a fact.......

    Peace

    T.Dawg

    Daddy, did you see the run?

    It was special, that is all that needs to be said. Mixing stat arguments etc ain't what it's about. The kid made a huge play out of nothing. He may end up starting for us, so believe it and believe in him. I don't hate Lewis, but we need a back that can keep defenses honest. Lewis is not even a good power back IMO, he's just a HB way past his prime. That's coming from somebody who usually has the older guys' back about losing a step or 5 as in Lewis' case.

  • No need top pat myself on the back, just trying to explain statistics....

    How am I saying that Davis sucked other than the 81 yard run.... Reread my post, never, never once did I say that he sucked... In fact I stated he may be the steal of the draft.....

    It may be your opinion that JL gets zero on that play but that is nothing more than your opinion... Even Bernie stated that lewis was running hard against 8 and 9 man fronts....

    You're welcome to your opinion just as I'm welcomed to mine.....

    Pittsburgh winning 6 out of 7 superbowls is a fact and statistically they won 85% of the super bowls that they participated in.....

    Peace

    T.Dawg

  • No need top pat myself on the back, just trying to explain statistics....

    How am I saying that Davis sucked other than the 81 yard run.... Reread my post, never, never once did I say that he sucked... In fact I stated he may be the steal of the draft.....

    It may be your opinion that JL gets zero on that play but that is nothing more than your opinion... Even Bernie stated that lewis was running hard against 8 and 9 man fronts....

    You're welcome to your opinion just as I'm welcomed to mine.....

    Pittsburgh winning 6 out of 7 superbowls is a fact and statistically they won 85% of the super bowls that they participated in.....

    Peace

    T.Dawg

    @daddybull1 said:

    Pittsburgh winning 6 out of 7 superbowls is a fact and statistically they won 85% of the super bowls that they participated in.....

    Sorry to be a stickler about this, but since you got on your high horse to "burst" mz the pussy's "bubble," there are 3 statistics in that statement....not 1.

    An event being something that you classify as "fact" and an event being a statistic are not mutually exclusive.

  • No need top pat myself on the back, just trying to explain statistics....

    How am I saying that Davis sucked other than the 81 yard run.... Reread my post, never, never once did I say that he sucked... In fact I stated he may be the steal of the draft.....

    It may be your opinion that JL gets zero on that play but that is nothing more than your opinion... Even Bernie stated that lewis was running hard against 8 and 9 man fronts....

    You're welcome to your opinion just as I'm welcomed to mine.....

    Pittsburgh winning 6 out of 7 superbowls is a fact and statistically they won 85% of the super bowls that they participated in.....

    Peace

    T.Dawg

    @daddybull1 said:

    No need top pat myself on the back, just trying to explain statistics....

    How am I saying that Davis sucked other than the 81 yard run.... Reread my post, never, never once did I say that he sucked... In fact I stated he may be the steal of the draft.....

    It may be your opinion that JL gets zero on that play but that is nothing more than your opinion... Even Bernie stated that lewis was running hard against 8 and 9 man fronts....

    You're welcome to your opinion just as I'm welcomed to mine.....

    Pittsburgh winning 6 out of 7 superbowls is a fact and statistically they won 85% of the super bowls that they participated in.....

    Peace

    T.Dawg

    I'm not talking about Pitt winning SB's or stats or what anybody has done over their life I'm saying IMO Davis may be a better bet for us this year. That is not arguing or saying you are wrong about anything, it's simply stating what I believe. I feel Lewis leaves yards all over the field. Davis may or may not be a stud or even a decent player, but much like DA it's time to see if we have better options and I think Davis may be one.

    We will see, but I hope Mangie ain't afraid to make a call.

  • Hey Timmy, I made a post trying to show how misleading statistics can be and mz the pussy responded by throwing out pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls as a straight line statistic.... And how am I on my high horse when mz the pussy is jumping on my post????? I made a statement and he replied and you my friend come across as all pissy...

    You want to start a thread on statistical analysis or geometric progressions then be my guest... Who knows, I may just bow to your superior knowledge....Peace

    T.Dawg

  • I can't remember the last 80+ TD run by a browns back, longest one I can find is a 72-yard run by Harrison last year? Too bad that didn't get him any more playing time, as someone already said "thanks RAC".

    -db

  • Think I may have found it:

    http://www.brainyhistory.com/events/1959/n...959_122021.html

    Bobby Mitchell

    Cleveland Browns' halfback Bobby Mitchell sets club record for longest run from scrimmage (90-yards), beat Washington 31-17

    Anybody know of a longer one? I love useless trivia...

  • Hey Timmy, I made a post trying to show how misleading statistics can be and mz the pussy responded by throwing out pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls as a straight line statistic.... And how am I on my high horse when mz the pussy is jumping on my post????? I made a statement and he replied and you my friend come across as all pissy...

    You want to start a thread on statistical analysis or geometric progressions then be my guest... Who knows, I may just bow to your superior knowledge....Peace

    T.Dawg

    @daddybull1 said:

    You want to start a thread on statistical analysis or geometric progressions then be my guest...

    LOL....no thanks.

    I get more than enough of that in "real life."

    As for my "high horse" comment, your post did come across as rather condescending......something like "Yo, mz the pussy.. not to burst your bubble but <insert incorrect assertion about what constitutes a statistic.>"

    Followed by "here's why I think I know so much more than you do re: statistics/mathematics."

    Nope. No equestrian activity there whatsoever. 🙄

  • @daddybull1 said:

    You want to start a thread on statistical analysis or geometric progressions then be my guest...

    LOL....no thanks.

    I get more than enough of that in "real life."

    As for my "high horse" comment, your post did come across as rather condescending......something like "Yo, mz the pussy.. not to burst your bubble but <insert incorrect assertion about what constitutes a statistic.>"

    Followed by "here's why I think I know so much more than you do re: statistics/mathematics."

    Nope. No equestrian activity there whatsoever. 🙄

    @timugen said:

    LOL....no thanks.

    I get more than enough of that in "real life."

    As for my "high horse" comment, your post did come across as rather condescending......something like "Yo, mz the pussy.. not to burst your bubble but <insert incorrect assertion about what constitutes a statistic.>"

    Followed by "here's why I think I know so much more than you do re: statistics/mathematics."

    Nope. No equestrian activity there whatsoever. 🙄

    I will stay out of the statistics debate as I avoided that stuff like the plague when in school.

    Whether Davis starts or not doesn't really matter to me as i don't think Lewis is garbage as some claim. I do however think as the season numbers are totaled, Davis should gather more carries than does Lewis.

    If anybody has their touches reduced, it should be Lewis.

    I guess it is fair to say Lewis is a better bet to gain 3 yards while Davis is a better bet to gain more than 3.

    I wonder how statistics would reflect that??

  • Let's don't jump the gun. I saw him go down on quite a few arm tackles last night and looked just average against their #1's, which isn't a steller group. His big run was against their #3's.

    I say he opened some eyes and will make the team but I also think he is still behind Harrison and rightfully so. BTW, he sucks picking up the blitz. Needs to show big improvment their.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Let's don't jump the gun. I saw him go down on quite a few arm tackles last night and looked just average against their #1's, which isn't a steller group. His big run was against their #3's.

    What do you think J Lew was doing? He looks old. No matter how hard he chops his legs, it's not enough anymore. He looks like a Retard trying to scrum in rugby. They need to split carries.

  • Well if you're going to pass the torch as in Lewis case what better guy than one from your hometown that broke all of you're rushing records in highschool?

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Let's don't jump the gun. I saw him go down on quite a few arm tackles last night and looked just average against their #1's, which isn't a steller group. His big run was against their #3's.

    What do you think J Lew was doing? He looks old. No matter how hard he chops his legs, it's not enough anymore. He looks like a Retard trying to scrum in rugby. They need to split carries.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    No matter how hard he chops his legs, it's not enough anymore.

    When there are no holes to run through, every RB looks like that.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    No matter how hard he chops his legs, it's not enough anymore.

    When there are no holes to run through, every RB looks like that.

    Masters said:

    When there are no holes to run through, every RB looks like that.

    He's getting armed tackled by CB's. You think this is the same J Lew. Dude I am a big fan, but he just doesn't look the same. Now and at the end of last year.

    I am not talking holes, I understand that, he's not sheeding tacklers. 5 in this video.

  • Masters said:

    When there are no holes to run through, every RB looks like that.

    He's getting armed tackled by CB's. You think this is the same J Lew. Dude I am a big fan, but he just doesn't look the same. Now and at the end of last year.

    I am not talking holes, I understand that, he's not sheeding tacklers. 5 in this video.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    He's getting armed tackled by CB's. You think this is the same J Lew. Dude I am a big fan, but he just doesn't look the same. Now and at the end of last year.

    I am not talking holes, I understand that, he's not sheeding tacklers. 5 in this video.

    I have yet to see him get arm tackled by a CB. You have a clip of that, as I have missed that (last year and this preseason).