Skip to content

don't remember this

The Browns Board
21 7 835
  • @calfoxwc said:

    Then he fixed that, and started winning. Soon after hiring Belichick, owner Robert Kraft gave him near-complete control over the team's football operations, effectively making him the team's general manager as well. Until 2009,

    All I said was, he was that lucky. I just proved it.

    The first bold complete contradicts the second bold.  He was still a relatively new HC, went into a program that has a small dose of stability, talent and success - not at all different from the Browns.    Then becomes, arguably, the most accomplished HC in NFL history.

    Nothing more really needs to be sad.  I'm not a fan of BB, but I'm not dumb enough to ascribe his success simply to "luck".

    @tiamat63 said:

    The first bold complete contradicts the second bold.  He was still a relatively new HC, went into a program that has a small dose of stability, talent and success - not at all different from the Browns.    Then becomes, arguably, the most accomplished HC in NFL history.

    Nothing more really needs to be sad.  I'm not a fan of BB, but I'm not dumb enough to ascribe his success simply to "luck".

    Remember the old saying tia when debating with people like cal...

    "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Then he fixed that, and started winning. Soon after hiring Belichick, owner Robert Kraft gave him near-complete control over the team's football operations, effectively making him the team's general manager as well. Until 2009,

    All I said was, he was that lucky. I just proved it.

    The first bold complete contradicts the second bold.  He was still a relatively new HC, went into a program that has a small dose of stability, talent and success - not at all different from the Browns.    Then becomes, arguably, the most accomplished HC in NFL history.

    Nothing more really needs to be sad.  I'm not a fan of BB, but I'm not dumb enough to ascribe his success simply to "luck".

    @tiamat63 said:

    The first bold complete contradicts the second bold.  He was still a relatively new HC, went into a program that has a small dose of stability, talent and success - not at all different from the Browns.    Then becomes, arguably, the most accomplished HC in NFL history.

    Nothing more really needs to be sad.  I'm not a fan of BB, but I'm not dumb enough to ascribe his success simply to "luck".

    You can't ascribe his success to luck....but I will say that there is certainly an element of luck involved there.  It seems a stroke of luck that who is considered now the greatest QB in history was taken  with pick  #199.     No matter who would have gotten him, and if he had turned out that good, that would have been luck.  Could Brady have had all the success he has had without BB?  Possibly not.   But we do at least now know that he is certainly capable of having success without  BB.   

  • I'm sure the "Belichik wouldn't have won shit without Brady" argument will be trotted out, so allow me to retort:

    Using that logic, Paul Brown was an incredibly lucky head coach too.

    He didn't win shit without Otto Graham. 

  • I'm sure the "Belichik wouldn't have won shit without Brady" argument will be trotted out, so allow me to retort:

    Using that logic, Paul Brown was an incredibly lucky head coach too.

    He didn't win shit without Otto Graham. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm sure the "Belichik wouldn't have won shit without Brady" argument will be trotted out, so allow me to retort:

    Using that logic, Paul Brown was an incredibly lucky head coach too.

    He didn't win shit without Otto Graham. 

    He did, however take the Browns to an NFL Championship game without Otto,  but they lost to the Lions.  They lost a couple to the Lions with Otto  (and they won with Otto). 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Then he fixed that, and started winning. Soon after hiring Belichick, owner Robert Kraft gave him near-complete control over the team's football operations, effectively making him the team's general manager as well. Until 2009,

    All I said was, he was that lucky. I just proved it.

    The first bold complete contradicts the second bold.  He was still a relatively new HC, went into a program that has a small dose of stability, talent and success - not at all different from the Browns.    Then becomes, arguably, the most accomplished HC in NFL history.

    Nothing more really needs to be sad.  I'm not a fan of BB, but I'm not dumb enough to ascribe his success simply to "luck".

    @tiamat63 said:

    The first bold complete contradicts the second bold.  He was still a relatively new HC, went into a program that has a small dose of stability, talent and success - not at all different from the Browns.    Then becomes, arguably, the most accomplished HC in NFL history.

    Nothing more really needs to be sad.  I'm not a fan of BB, but I'm not dumb enough to ascribe his success simply to "luck".

    I didn't say his success was lucky. I said he was very lucky to have stepped into the Patriots hc position, after resigning from the Jets after ONE DAY.

    He went to an AFC championship team.

    that is the lucky part. If you think he would have succeeded with the Jets, like he did with the Patriots, I disagree.

    The succeeding years - yes, he was a great hc. But he was very, very lucky to have stepped into success with a successful, well coached team, after being mostly a dismal failure with the Browns. One year success in wins, 5 years of turmoil with the press, and players.

       He had to learn a lot. He did.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The first bold complete contradicts the second bold.  He was still a relatively new HC, went into a program that has a small dose of stability, talent and success - not at all different from the Browns.    Then becomes, arguably, the most accomplished HC in NFL history.

    Nothing more really needs to be sad.  I'm not a fan of BB, but I'm not dumb enough to ascribe his success simply to "luck".

    I didn't say his success was lucky. I said he was very lucky to have stepped into the Patriots hc position, after resigning from the Jets after ONE DAY.

    He went to an AFC championship team.

    that is the lucky part. If you think he would have succeeded with the Jets, like he did with the Patriots, I disagree.

    The succeeding years - yes, he was a great hc. But he was very, very lucky to have stepped into success with a successful, well coached team, after being mostly a dismal failure with the Browns. One year success in wins, 5 years of turmoil with the press, and players.

       He had to learn a lot. He did.

    @calfoxwc said:

    I didn't say his success was lucky. I said he was very lucky to have stepped into the Patriots hc position, after resigning from the Jets after ONE DAY.

    He went to an AFC championship team.

    that is the lucky part. 

    The Patriots were 8-8 the season before Belichick took over. They did not go to the playoffs.

    The Patriots were 9-7 the season before that. They got knocked out of the playoffs in the Wild Card round by the Jaguars.  

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The first bold complete contradicts the second bold.  He was still a relatively new HC, went into a program that has a small dose of stability, talent and success - not at all different from the Browns.    Then becomes, arguably, the most accomplished HC in NFL history.

    Nothing more really needs to be sad.  I'm not a fan of BB, but I'm not dumb enough to ascribe his success simply to "luck".

    I didn't say his success was lucky. I said he was very lucky to have stepped into the Patriots hc position, after resigning from the Jets after ONE DAY.

    He went to an AFC championship team.

    that is the lucky part. If you think he would have succeeded with the Jets, like he did with the Patriots, I disagree.

    The succeeding years - yes, he was a great hc. But he was very, very lucky to have stepped into success with a successful, well coached team, after being mostly a dismal failure with the Browns. One year success in wins, 5 years of turmoil with the press, and players.

       He had to learn a lot. He did.

    @calfoxwc said:

    I didn't say his success was lucky. I said he was very lucky to have stepped into the Patriots hc position, after resigning from the Jets after ONE DAY.

    He went to an AFC championship team.

    that is the lucky part. If you think he would have succeeded with the Jets, like he did with the Patriots, I disagree.

    The succeeding years - yes, he was a great hc. But he was very, very lucky to have stepped into success with a successful, well coached team, after being mostly a dismal failure with the Browns. One year success in wins, 5 years of turmoil with the press, and players.

       He had to learn a lot. He did.

    By this logic, you could say almost the exact same about Kevin Stefanski. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I didn't say his success was lucky. I said he was very lucky to have stepped into the Patriots hc position, after resigning from the Jets after ONE DAY.

    He went to an AFC championship team.

    that is the lucky part. If you think he would have succeeded with the Jets, like he did with the Patriots, I disagree.

    The succeeding years - yes, he was a great hc. But he was very, very lucky to have stepped into success with a successful, well coached team, after being mostly a dismal failure with the Browns. One year success in wins, 5 years of turmoil with the press, and players.

       He had to learn a lot. He did.

    By this logic, you could say almost the exact same about Kevin Stefanski. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    By this logic, you could say almost the exact same about Kevin Stefanski. 

    Stephansky didn't step into an AFC championship team....and he wasn't with the Vikings for only one day.

    I mean...really now.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    By this logic, you could say almost the exact same about Kevin Stefanski. 

    Stephansky didn't step into an AFC championship team....and he wasn't with the Vikings for only one day.

    I mean...really now.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Stephansky didn't step into an AFC championship team....and he wasn't with the Vikings for only one day.

    I mean...really now.

    One day is irrelevant, clearly some front office and ownership thought highly enough of BB to give him the job.

    And roster quality is king. So in that respect, yes, Stef did walk into a near AFC championship caliber personnel. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Stephansky didn't step into an AFC championship team....and he wasn't with the Vikings for only one day.

    I mean...really now.

    One day is irrelevant, clearly some front office and ownership thought highly enough of BB to give him the job.

    And roster quality is king. So in that respect, yes, Stef did walk into a near AFC championship caliber personnel. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    One day is irrelevant, clearly some front office and ownership thought highly enough of BB to give him the job.

    And roster quality is king. So in that respect, yes, Stef did walk into a near AFC championship caliber personnel. 

    except the Patriots WON the AFC championship a few years before buttichek got there.

    The Browns' won-loss records in previous years were:

    2013 4 12                        
    2014    7   9                        
    2015 3 13                        
    2016 1   15                        
    2017 0  16                        
    2018 7   8 -1                      
    2019 6 10                        
    2020 11     5
  • I remember being at the game in San Diego in December of '95 and sitting with the SoCal Browns Backers behind the Browns bench. I remember the game was still going - but was close to being over, and I remember Pio Sagapolutele signing autographs for us with tears streaming down his face.

    I remember a lot of things about '95 (my daughter being born in June), but the one thing I don't remember was Jim McMahon ever being a Brown..... In 1995, or any other time for that matter. 

    Motocross x Gravity + Ground ÷ Age = Lot's of missing time for ol' D Bone 

    @d-bone said:

    Motocross x Gravity + Ground ÷ Age = Lot's of missing time for ol' D Bone  

    So.....

    D "broken" Bone?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I'll take "dumb shit said" for $500, Alex.

    dammit, did I fail to agree with you again?

    dang.

    See, buttichek was a failure with the Browns, he walked into a situation with the Patriots,... after learning a lot. He'd been in the NFL for years, and was a dismal failure with the Browns every year except for 94. His overall record with the Browns - 36 wins, 44 losses.

    ONE winning season. That is your hero? LOL

    OK, he got lucky and went to the Patriots. as an assistant head coach to a great coach - Parcells. Buttichek lasted ONE ONE DAY with the JETS, BEFORE RESIGNING.

    That sound like he is a turd? does to me. He ends up going to the Patriots, which was already an AFC CHAMPiONSHIP TEAM.

    So, that's freaking lucky for him. 

    GUESS WHAT, TIAMSES? He was hired by the Patriots in 2000. and had two first round draft picks, I believe.

    Pretty freaking lucky. The Patriots went 5-11 his first year.

    Then he fixed that, and started winning.

    All I said was, he was that lucky. I just proved it.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick

    New England Patriots (2000–present)

    Soon after hiring Belichick, owner Robert Kraft gave him near-complete control over the team's football operations, effectively making him the team's general manager as well. Until 2009, Belichick split many of the duties normally held by a general manager on other clubs with player personnel director Scott Pioli, though Belichick had the final say on football matters.[42] Pioli left for the Kansas City Chiefs after the 2008 season.[43]

    The Patriots went 5–11 in the 2000 regular season and missed the playoffs.[44]

    @calfoxwc said:

    See, buttichek was a failure with the Browns

    Nope...

    That would be Art.

  • I'm sure the "Belichik wouldn't have won shit without Brady" argument will be trotted out, so allow me to retort:

    Using that logic, Paul Brown was an incredibly lucky head coach too.

    He didn't win shit without Otto Graham. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm sure the "Belichik wouldn't have won shit without Brady" argument will be trotted out, so allow me to retort:

    Using that logic, Paul Brown was an incredibly lucky head coach too.

    He didn't win shit without Otto Graham. 

    Gotta love a good preemptive strike... 😁