Skip to content

Reasons why the Browns' defense will take them to the superbowl

The Browns Board
67 16 2.7k 2
  • @tour2ma said:

    That 2...

    You have one more use left... try not to waste it as you did here.

    1st use was outstanding, so we know you can do it.

    This use was super and/or duper.

    Stop raining on my parade. ?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @dutch-oven said:

    Stop raining on my parade. ?

    That wasn't "rain".

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Stop raining on my parade. ?

    That wasn't "rain".

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @tour2ma said:

    That wasn't "rain".

    Some guys pay extra for that...

  • @tour2ma said:

    That wasn't "rain".

    Some guys pay extra for that...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @dutch-oven said:

    Some guys pay extra for that...

    Usually you pay double for that kind of action, Cotton. 

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    I'm back! Miss me guys? Check that, let's not find out. 

    I definitely missed you guys and I'm back from a little Browns hiatus and I'm ready to talk football. Now, the defense. It's no secret that I absolutely detested our defense last year. I think we won way too many games on the backs of our offense and our defense squandered WAY too many big leads. Leads protected by a timely drive our offense pulled out. 

    I WANT to give Joe Woods a break. He probably deserves it. He had to play some serious nobodies at key positions at times he shouldn't have, but questions remain. If the defense takes a step, specifically in closing out games, we're serious trouble for people. 

  • The offense can get us to the playoffs- that was proven last year.


    Josh Allen, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson present the challenges to the Super Bowl.  We have the personnel to play Woods pressure with four drop the rest in coverage. This style of play is suited to take on the Chiefs and the Ravens- Mahomes and Jackson you get killed if your blitz doesn’t get there and you give up the big play....Although we need to worry about being stout against the run with the Ravens.  Whatever Woods did last year against the Ravens just do the opposite.

    You beat those three QBs above with interior pressure all the great QBs have trouble with pressure in the or face.  That’s the next piece with this defense unless with all this versatility we now possess we kick Myles and Clowney inside on some pass rush downs. 

    three keys this year...

    1. Health

    2. Baker continuing on his path to being a very good QB 

    3. Luck (not Andrew) but being a little lucky.  Good bounce in big game, favorable call in a big game, etc. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The offense can get us to the playoffs- that was proven last year.


    Josh Allen, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson present the challenges to the Super Bowl.  We have the personnel to play Woods pressure with four drop the rest in coverage. This style of play is suited to take on the Chiefs and the Ravens- Mahomes and Jackson you get killed if your blitz doesn’t get there and you give up the big play....Although we need to worry about being stout against the run with the Ravens.  Whatever Woods did last year against the Ravens just do the opposite.

    You beat those three QBs above with interior pressure all the great QBs have trouble with pressure in the or face.  That’s the next piece with this defense unless with all this versatility we now possess we kick Myles and Clowney inside on some pass rush downs. 

    three keys this year...

    1. Health

    2. Baker continuing on his path to being a very good QB 

    3. Luck (not Andrew) but being a little lucky.  Good bounce in big game, favorable call in a big game, etc. 

    I'm not sold on Joe Woods.. I think he's pure shit for a DC..

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    The offense can get us to the playoffs- that was proven last year.


    Josh Allen, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson present the challenges to the Super Bowl.  We have the personnel to play Woods pressure with four drop the rest in coverage. This style of play is suited to take on the Chiefs and the Ravens- Mahomes and Jackson you get killed if your blitz doesn’t get there and you give up the big play....Although we need to worry about being stout against the run with the Ravens.  Whatever Woods did last year against the Ravens just do the opposite.

    You beat those three QBs above with interior pressure all the great QBs have trouble with pressure in the or face.  That’s the next piece with this defense unless with all this versatility we now possess we kick Myles and Clowney inside on some pass rush downs. 

    three keys this year...

    1. Health

    2. Baker continuing on his path to being a very good QB 

    3. Luck (not Andrew) but being a little lucky.  Good bounce in big game, favorable call in a big game, etc. 

    I'm not sold on Joe Woods.. I think he's pure shit for a DC..

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #32

    @nickers said:

    I'm not sold on Joe Woods.. I think he's pure shit for a DC..

    “Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding."

    That's you in a god damn nutshell.   When you're asked "why do you think that?" you basically jam your thumb up your ass and go "DERRRR IDK WHY I JUST DO".

    You're a fucking clown, nickers.  You have the football I.Q. of a squirrel.     The only difference is that a squirrel doesn't arrogantly beat their chest like they know what they're talking about.

    I'm getting back to grilling, you have a blessed holiday.   

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #33

    Joe Woods actually did a good job covering for a lack of talent in the secondary and lb's.

    The Browns defense was lacking speed. I just can't see blaming Woods and asst coaches for a lack of talent.

    This year? I don't see Woods having the same problems. Does anybody, seriously?

    The truth is, imho, that Woods has tremendous experience in both the 4-3 and 3-4 and all

    the tweaks in between. He did a lot of good things in covering for a lack of talent - it's all you can do.

    The Browns know that - that is why they had to fix the secondary and lb position in the draft and FA.

    With the talent now? barring a flood of injuries, the Browns defense should be a top five defense.

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/04/4-things-to-know-about-new-browns-dc-joe-woods/

    https://www.brownszone.com/2021/06/17/coordinator-joe-woods-knows-hes-under-pressure-to-produce-with-lots-of-talent-added-to-defense/

  • @nickers said:

    I'm not sold on Joe Woods.. I think he's pure shit for a DC..

    “Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding."

    That's you in a god damn nutshell.   When you're asked "why do you think that?" you basically jam your thumb up your ass and go "DERRRR IDK WHY I JUST DO".

    You're a fucking clown, nickers.  You have the football I.Q. of a squirrel.     The only difference is that a squirrel doesn't arrogantly beat their chest like they know what they're talking about.

    I'm getting back to grilling, you have a blessed holiday.   

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @tiamat63 said:

    “Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding."

    That's you in a god damn nutshell.   When you're asked "why do you think that?" you basically jam your thumb up your ass and go "DERRRR IDK WHY I JUST DO".

    You're a fucking clown, nickers.  You have the football I.Q. of a squirrel.     The only difference is that a squirrel doesn't arrogantly beat their chest like they know what they're talking about.

    I'm getting back to grilling, you have a blessed holiday.   

    And you're a big ASSHOLE with Dunning Kruger Syndrome

     Have a nice day Know it all!

  • Joe Woods actually did a good job covering for a lack of talent in the secondary and lb's.

    The Browns defense was lacking speed. I just can't see blaming Woods and asst coaches for a lack of talent.

    This year? I don't see Woods having the same problems. Does anybody, seriously?

    The truth is, imho, that Woods has tremendous experience in both the 4-3 and 3-4 and all

    the tweaks in between. He did a lot of good things in covering for a lack of talent - it's all you can do.

    The Browns know that - that is why they had to fix the secondary and lb position in the draft and FA.

    With the talent now? barring a flood of injuries, the Browns defense should be a top five defense.

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/04/4-things-to-know-about-new-browns-dc-joe-woods/

    https://www.brownszone.com/2021/06/17/coordinator-joe-woods-knows-hes-under-pressure-to-produce-with-lots-of-talent-added-to-defense/

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @calfoxwc said:

    Joe Woods actually did a good job covering for a lack of talent in the secondary and lb's.

    The Browns defense was lacking speed. I just can't see blaming Woods and asst coaches for a lack of talent.

    This year? I don't see Woods having the same problems. Does anybody, seriously?

    The truth is, imho, that Woods has tremendous experience in both the 4-3 and 3-4 and all

    the tweaks in between. He did a lot of good things in covering for a lack of talent - it's all you can do.

    The Browns know that - that is why they had to fix the secondary and lb position in the draft and FA.

    With the talent now? barring a flood of injuries, the Browns defense should be a top five defense.

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/04/4-things-to-know-about-new-browns-dc-joe-woods/

    https://www.brownszone.com/2021/06/17/coordinator-joe-woods-knows-hes-under-pressure-to-produce-with-lots-of-talent-added-to-defense/

    Sorry Cal.. Joe Woods is garbage..

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Make or break year for Joe. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    “Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding."

    That's you in a god damn nutshell.   When you're asked "why do you think that?" you basically jam your thumb up your ass and go "DERRRR IDK WHY I JUST DO".

    You're a fucking clown, nickers.  You have the football I.Q. of a squirrel.     The only difference is that a squirrel doesn't arrogantly beat their chest like they know what they're talking about.

    I'm getting back to grilling, you have a blessed holiday.   

    And you're a big ASSHOLE with Dunning Kruger Syndrome

     Have a nice day Know it all!

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #37

    @nickers said:

    And you're a big ASSHOLE with Dunning Kruger Syndrome

     Have a nice day Know it all!

    Yes, I am an asshole.   Much like any good comedian, I'm an asshole who presents the truth - but through the prism of humor.  I'm just not always so subtle about it. In this case, I'm an even bigger asshole because I am (demonstrably) correct.  

     Dunning Kruger in this particular case is hilariously applicable to you.  So not only do you have a mental affliction for these topics, you also suffer from severe projection.   I've gone as far as to detail on this board posts that you are welcomed to search for, Joe Woods transition away from the single high/MOTFC looks which he loved so much in Denver and was forced into more 2 high looks between C2, C4, C6, C9 and such in Cleveland because of just how bad our DB play was.    I can do so at a pretty high level whilst you cannot.  So......  yeah, DK all the way, champ.

    You regale us with these complaints about Joe Woods, but you lack any and all ability to explain them at even the most fundamental level.    And because you have no idea what you're really saying, more specifically the "why" behind it, then you're really just bitching at this point.

    There are reasons why my posts on this board receive more upvotes, likes, quotes and weighed attention than yours.     You might want to take a step back and ask why that reason is.

  • @nickers said:

    And you're a big ASSHOLE with Dunning Kruger Syndrome

     Have a nice day Know it all!

    Yes, I am an asshole.   Much like any good comedian, I'm an asshole who presents the truth - but through the prism of humor.  I'm just not always so subtle about it. In this case, I'm an even bigger asshole because I am (demonstrably) correct.  

     Dunning Kruger in this particular case is hilariously applicable to you.  So not only do you have a mental affliction for these topics, you also suffer from severe projection.   I've gone as far as to detail on this board posts that you are welcomed to search for, Joe Woods transition away from the single high/MOTFC looks which he loved so much in Denver and was forced into more 2 high looks between C2, C4, C6, C9 and such in Cleveland because of just how bad our DB play was.    I can do so at a pretty high level whilst you cannot.  So......  yeah, DK all the way, champ.

    You regale us with these complaints about Joe Woods, but you lack any and all ability to explain them at even the most fundamental level.    And because you have no idea what you're really saying, more specifically the "why" behind it, then you're really just bitching at this point.

    There are reasons why my posts on this board receive more upvotes, likes, quotes and weighed attention than yours.     You might want to take a step back and ask why that reason is.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #38

    @tiamat63 said:

    Yes, I am an asshole.   Much like any good comedian, I'm an asshole who presents the truth - but through the prism of humor.  I'm just not always so subtle about it. In this case, I'm an even bigger asshole because I am (demonstrably) correct.  

     Dunning Kruger in this particular case is hilariously applicable to you.  So not only do you have a mental affliction for these topics, you also suffer from severe projection.   I've gone as far as to detail on this board posts that you are welcomed to search for, Joe Woods transition away from the single high/MOTFC looks which he loved so much in Denver and was forced into more 2 high looks between C2, C4, C6, C9 and such in Cleveland because of just how bad our DB play was.    I can do so at a pretty high level whilst you cannot.  So......  yeah, DK all the way, champ.

    You regale us with these complaints about Joe Woods, but you lack any and all ability to explain them at even the most fundamental level.    And because you have no idea what you're really saying, more specifically the "why" behind it, then you're really just bitching at this point.

    There are reasons why my posts on this board receive more upvotes, likes, quotes and weighed attention than yours.     You might want to take a step back and ask why that reason is.

    Seems the person most bothered by this is... You!.. I OWN YOU! Fuck you and your "sissy" Upvotes,,,  Apparently your looking for a medal... There's the "Special Olympics" for people like you...

    Joe Woods sucks... Big Deal.. He got a SB on Wade Phillips's coat tails.. I don't see teams rushing to hire him as their HC..

    So stick those upvotes up your ASS!

  • Make or break year for Joe. 

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
    #39

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Make or break year for Joe. 

    Yep, he's been handed the best roster in NFL history < the media's opinion - not mine > and if he doesn't have the Browns in the top 5 in both total and scoring defense, then it will be fair to say he sucks. He now has a ton of pressure on him and there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that he doesn't recognize it.

    I'm rooting for him, but the pre-season expectations for his side of the ball are off the charts and are probably unfair to say the least.... Hell, just look at the title of this thread.  

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #40

    See the source image

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Yes, I am an asshole.   Much like any good comedian, I'm an asshole who presents the truth - but through the prism of humor.  I'm just not always so subtle about it. In this case, I'm an even bigger asshole because I am (demonstrably) correct.  

     Dunning Kruger in this particular case is hilariously applicable to you.  So not only do you have a mental affliction for these topics, you also suffer from severe projection.   I've gone as far as to detail on this board posts that you are welcomed to search for, Joe Woods transition away from the single high/MOTFC looks which he loved so much in Denver and was forced into more 2 high looks between C2, C4, C6, C9 and such in Cleveland because of just how bad our DB play was.    I can do so at a pretty high level whilst you cannot.  So......  yeah, DK all the way, champ.

    You regale us with these complaints about Joe Woods, but you lack any and all ability to explain them at even the most fundamental level.    And because you have no idea what you're really saying, more specifically the "why" behind it, then you're really just bitching at this point.

    There are reasons why my posts on this board receive more upvotes, likes, quotes and weighed attention than yours.     You might want to take a step back and ask why that reason is.

    Seems the person most bothered by this is... You!.. I OWN YOU! Fuck you and your "sissy" Upvotes,,,  Apparently your looking for a medal... There's the "Special Olympics" for people like you...

    Joe Woods sucks... Big Deal.. He got a SB on Wade Phillips's coat tails.. I don't see teams rushing to hire him as their HC..

    So stick those upvotes up your ASS!

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @nickers said:

    Apparently your looking for a medal...

    There's the "Special Olympics" for people like you...

    I always enjoy things like this.  

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Another lively day of discussion on The BROWNS BOARD !

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #43

    Is it about the Xs and Os? or is it about the Jimmys and Joes? Or both?

    Joe expects the pressure to come upfront with his front 4.  He’s known as one of the more conservative D coordinators in the league.  So as long as he’s here we need a steady rotation of guys upfront that can create pressure.  You will not see exotic Joe and his pressure from other spots often. 
     
    Case in point...
    I couldn’t stand his approach on 4th downs last year where We would see soft coverage and pressure with 4 and then a five yard catch and run to move the chains on 4th and 4. 
     

    I acknowledge the fact that we didn’t have much...we had a guy like Delpit go down.  But you don’t help a slow and green secondary by making those guys cover an extra couple seconds you have disrupt the QBs timing get him off his spot and force errant throws that way.

    Example of some madness:

    Joe would rather drop a guy like Karl Joseph back in coverage and that’s not his thing he’s a good box safety.  I feel like joe didn’t adapt well. 
     

    He has an opportunity this year. 

  • Is it about the Xs and Os? or is it about the Jimmys and Joes? Or both?

    Joe expects the pressure to come upfront with his front 4.  He’s known as one of the more conservative D coordinators in the league.  So as long as he’s here we need a steady rotation of guys upfront that can create pressure.  You will not see exotic Joe and his pressure from other spots often. 
     
    Case in point...
    I couldn’t stand his approach on 4th downs last year where We would see soft coverage and pressure with 4 and then a five yard catch and run to move the chains on 4th and 4. 
     

    I acknowledge the fact that we didn’t have much...we had a guy like Delpit go down.  But you don’t help a slow and green secondary by making those guys cover an extra couple seconds you have disrupt the QBs timing get him off his spot and force errant throws that way.

    Example of some madness:

    Joe would rather drop a guy like Karl Joseph back in coverage and that’s not his thing he’s a good box safety.  I feel like joe didn’t adapt well. 
     

    He has an opportunity this year. 

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Is it about the Xs and Os? or is it about the Jimmys and Joes? Or both?

    Joe expects the pressure to come upfront with his front 4.  He’s known as one of the more conservative D coordinators in the league.  So as long as he’s here we need a steady rotation of guys upfront that can create pressure.  You will not see exotic Joe and his pressure from other spots often. 
     
    Case in point...
    I couldn’t stand his approach on 4th downs last year where We would see soft coverage and pressure with 4 and then a five yard catch and run to move the chains on 4th and 4. 
     

    I acknowledge the fact that we didn’t have much...we had a guy like Delpit go down.  But you don’t help a slow and green secondary by making those guys cover an extra couple seconds you have disrupt the QBs timing get him off his spot and force errant throws that way.

    Example of some madness:

    Joe would rather drop a guy like Karl Joseph back in coverage and that’s not his thing he’s a good box safety.  I feel like joe didn’t adapt well. 
     

    He has an opportunity this year. 

    I think Woods annoyed a lot of us with that - but for good reason. With a lack of talent, having Joseph play in the box would give up quicker scores. "Bend don't break" was surely due to a lack of talent. Gregg Williams blitzed a good bit more, but Woods' defenses have gotten a lot more pressures.

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/18/browns-defense-blitz-rate-qb-pressure-joe-woods-scheme/

       It's a trade off - Different coverages to cover up for a lack of talent/speed in the secondary. Blitzing is fairly worthless when you can't cover a TE or RB that floats over the middle of a loose zone. Play tighter, get beaten more. Lack of talent, the Browns had to try to bend but not give up dramatic quick scores.

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/04/browns-2020-pass-coverage-schemes-surprisingly-unique/

      No worries for me - I think with the talent, Woods will utilize it to the max. We'll see.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #45

    Wasn't nickers the poster who said that Kevin Stefanski was going to suck based on nicker's thinking that Stefanski was effeminate-looking?

    Before any of you really think about this, the answer is yes.

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #46

    I prefer the adjective, Dreamy.