Skip to content

Greatest Player in Franchise History

The Browns Board
23 12 891 1
  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Larry Wilson for Cards.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Cardinals - Dierdorf over NightTrain Lane

    Falcons - Can you really pick anyone other than Deion Sanders? Tuggle at LB perhaps.

    Panthers - LB Kuechly over WR Steve Smith

  • Larry Wilson for Cards.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @ballpeen said:

    Larry Wilson for Cards.

    ...not enough teeth.  😉

    Jimmy Brown is the reason I'm a Browns fan.  But you can only go as far as your QB can take you.  So, I guess I go with Otto.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Atlanta Falcons:   I think you have to look at Matt Ryan,   or Claude Humphrey

    For me it's Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson

    Except, he is best known for being on the Oilers. 

  • Cardinals - Dierdorf over NightTrain Lane

    Falcons - Can you really pick anyone other than Deion Sanders? Tuggle at LB perhaps.

    Panthers - LB Kuechly over WR Steve Smith

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @unsympathetic said:

    Cardinals - Dierdorf over NightTrain Lane

    Falcons - Can you really pick anyone other than Deion Sanders? Tuggle at LB perhaps.

    I think you can easily, because  Deion played only a small portion of his career with  Atlanta.  He played as much with Dallas as with the Falcons. 

    Panthers - LB Kuechly over WR Steve Smith

  • The only other tweeks could be offensive and defensive GOAT or maybe by old school vs new with a pre/post 1970 line.  Something like that.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @mjp28 said:

    The only other tweeks could be offensive and defensive GOAT or maybe by old school vs new with a pre/post 1970 line.  Something like that.

    YOU could if you want.  I will leave it up to YOU  to make those choices for each team. 

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Seahawks- Steve Largent.

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Falcons- Prime Time.  

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #13

    For the LA teams I would take Fouts and Dickerson.

    I can't look at the bolt without seeing the beard or look at the horns without seeing the glasses. 

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #14

    Good Topic..

    St. Louis Rams... Faulk/Slater/Holt/Warner ?

    Falcons it's Primetime but Tommy Nobis was worthy'''

    Steve Smith/Luke Kuechly is a dead heat in Carolina... I favor Smitty

    Top 5? ...Goes JB gumby73....... Lawrence Taylor.......Reggie White... Ray Lewis... Butkus....

  • Good Topic..

    St. Louis Rams... Faulk/Slater/Holt/Warner ?

    Falcons it's Primetime but Tommy Nobis was worthy'''

    Steve Smith/Luke Kuechly is a dead heat in Carolina... I favor Smitty

    Top 5? ...Goes JB gumby73....... Lawrence Taylor.......Reggie White... Ray Lewis... Butkus....

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #15

    @gumby73 said:

    St. Louis Rams... Faulk/Slater/Holt/Warner ?

    Merlin Olsen, Henry Ellard, Crazy Legs

    Redskins - Sonny Jurgensen,  John Riggins, Charlie Taylor

    Oilers/Titans -  Warren Moon, Earl Campbell

  • For the LA teams I would take Fouts and Dickerson.

    I can't look at the bolt without seeing the beard or look at the horns without seeing the glasses. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #16

    @d-bone said:

    For the LA teams I would take Fouts and Dickerson.

    I can't look at the bolt without seeing the beard or look at the horns without seeing the glasses. 

    I gotta disagree being out here in former Bolt land.

    LT is king. 
     

    Seau might be 1b
     

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #17

    Buffalo Bills.   OJ

    Carolina Panthers:   Peppers

    Chicago Bears.  Sweetness

    Dallas Cowboys.  Emmitt

    Green Bay Packers.  Reggie White... his short time in GB is irrelevant.

    Houston Texans.  JJ

    Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts:  Manning

    Jacksonville Jaguars.  Fred Taylor...

    Kansas City Chiefs.  Lanier... with a nod to Gonzalez

    Las Vegas Raiders. Jim Otto

    LA Chargers.  LT

    LA Rams. Orlando Pace

    New York Jets:  Curtis Martin

    Philadelphia Eagles.  See GB...

    Pittsburgh Steelers  AB... flat out uncoverable in his PTG days

    San Francisco 49ers.  Rice... but have to mention Lott

    Seattle Seahawks.  Largent... but have to mention Sherman

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers. TB12 now... but pre-2020 Brooks.

    Tennessee Titans/Houston Oilers. Can't believe I am the first (Edit: not named Orion) to mention Earl Campbell...

    Washington  R-words: Green, but have to mention Kenny Houston

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Your list looks good.  For the raiders I would sub 2-3 players for otto and the bucs....it's selmon all day, everyday.

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Atlanta has got to be Deion. 

  • Who was the Greatest Player in the History of each NFL franchise?   Candidates:

    Cardinals (AZ/St.L/Chicago)    Larry Fitzgerald  or  Charley Trippi?

    Atlanta Falcons:   I think you have to look at Matt Ryan,   or Claude Humphrey

    Baltimore Ravens.    Its gotta be Ray Lewis,    with Jonathan Ogden and Ed Reed coming in behind

    Buffalo Bills.    A hard one:  QB Jim Kelly?   DE Bruce Smith.....and no matter what you have to include  OJ Simpson as a candidate.

    Carolina Panthers:    I think you have to pick Cam Newton......though WR  Steve Smith  comes in a close second

    Chicago Bears.   One of the hardest to choose.   Sid Luckman who QBd them to  4 championships?  Walter Payton?  But this is a franchise known for defense, especially  middle Linebacks:  Bill George/Butkus/Singletary/Urlacher.    Who?

    Cincinnati Bengals.   Anthony Munoz

    Cleveland Browns    Jim Brown is the obvious choice........but should he take preference over  7 time champion QB Otto Graham?

    Dallas Cowboys.  Another tough one.   All Time rushing leader  Emmit Smith?  Or a defensive stalwart like Bob Lilly?    I go for Roger Staubach

    Denver Broncos.   Easy:   Elway

    Detroit Lions.    Gotta go with Barry Sanders

    Green Bay Packers.  Tough choice.   You have HOF QBs   Starr/Favre/Rodgers eventually.  There is also Forrest Gregg and Ray Nitschke...and others

    Houston Texans.  Two top candidates:   Andre Johnson/JJ Watt.     If Watson were to stay, he could be it eventually,  but not today, and maybe never if he leaves.

    Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts:   Two horse race really:    Manning/Unitas.......Unitas/Manning?   My tendency to think old school says Unitas....but that is not in stone.

    Jacksonville Jaguars.  Hard because they have not had a true outstanding guy.   Would it be  Boselli? Jimmy Smith?  Fred Taylor.  Supposedly, eventually it will be Trevor

    Kansas City Chiefs.   Hard to think that Mahomes won't take this.....eventually....but not now perhaps?   You have Len Dawson,  Tony Gonzales, Derrick Thomas

    Las Vegas Raiders.  As much glamor as they may come in for from offensive skill and defensive players.....their best may be a trio of road graders:   Gene Upshaw/Art Shell/Jim Otto

    LA Chargers.    A couple of QB  I think compete here:   Fouts vs. Rivers?    Or neither, and go with Junior Seau?    

    LA Rams.   Defensive Linemen are this team's forte:   Is it  Merlin Olsen?  Deacon Jones?  Or does Aaron Donald take the cake?

    Miami Dolphins.  Another easy peasy:   Dan Marino

    Minnesota Vikings.   Another toughie:   the QB?  Tarkenton.....or one of the DL:   Alan Page or Carl Eller?

    New England Patriots.   Tom Brady.     obviously a no brainer

    New Orleans Saints:   Drew Brees.      ditto

    New York Giants:   gotta be Lawrence Taylor

    New York Jets:   Joe Namath.

    Philadelphia Eagles.    despite playing some years for other teams.....Reggie White  IMO tops this team's list

    Pittsburgh Steelers?   Who would Steeler fans say?  BR over Bradshaw?  Or Mean Joe Greene or Jack Lambert....or Mike Webster?

    San Francisco 49ers.     I want to say  Joe Montana.......but would Jerry Rice be the better answer?

    Seattle Seahawks.   Russell Wilson   I think can be considered a no brainer here.

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  Brady may be the popular choice after a single year.....but this team has been a defensive team:  So either  Derrick Brooks/Warren Sapp/Leroy Selmon are the choices.

    Tennessee Titans/Houston Oilers.   Best player has been  Bruce Matthews.  

    Washington  R-words:   I think its a DB:  Darrell Green

    Who would you choose for some of these? 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @the-gipper said:

    Who was the Greatest Player in the History of each NFL franchise?   Candidates:

    Cardinals (AZ/St.L/Chicago)     Larry Wilson

    Atlanta Falcons:   I think you have to look at...Dion Sanders

    Baltimore Ravens.    Its gotta be Ray Lewis,    

    Buffalo Bills.    A hard one: OJ

    Carolina Panthers:    I think you have to pick Cam Newton...Peppers

    Chicago Bears.   One of the hardest to choose.   Butkus

    Cincinnati Bengals.   Anthony Munoz

    Cleveland Browns    Jim Brown

    Dallas Cowboys.  Another tough one.   All Time rushing leader  Emmitt Smith

    Denver Broncos.   Easy:   Elway

    Detroit Lions.    Gotta go with Barry Sanders

    Green Bay Packers.  Tough choice.  Starr

    Houston Texans.  Two top candidates:   Watt

    Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts:   Two horse race really:   Manning

    Jacksonville Jaguars.  Fred Taylor

    Kansas City Chiefs.   Willie Lanier

    Las Vegas Raiders.  Marcus Allen

    LA Chargers.    A couple of QB  I think compete here:  Rivers 

    LA Rams.   Defensive Linemen are this team's forte:   Deacon Jones

    Miami Dolphins.  Another easy peasy:   Dan Marino

    Minnesota Vikings.   Another toughie:  Page

    New England Patriots.   Tom Brady.     

    New Orleans Saints:   Drew Brees.      

    New York Giants:   Lawrence Taylor

    New York Jets:   Joe Namath.

    Philadelphia Eagles.    Reggie

    Pittsburgh Steelers?  Joe greene

    San Francisco 49ers.   Jerry Rice

    Seattle Seahawks.  Steve Largent

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  Leroy Selmon

    Tennessee Titans/Houston Oilers.   Earl Campbell 

    Washington  R-words:  Sammy Baugh

    Who would you choose for some of these? 

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I added them to your quoted post

  • Cardinals - Dierdorf over NightTrain Lane

    Falcons - Can you really pick anyone other than Deion Sanders? Tuggle at LB perhaps.

    Panthers - LB Kuechly over WR Steve Smith

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #22

    @unsympathetic said:

    Cardinals - Dierdorf over NightTrain Lane

    Falcons - Can you really pick anyone other than Deion Sanders? Tuggle at LB perhaps.

    Panthers - LB Kuechly over WR Steve Smith

    Agreed... Steve Smith wasn't the most durable.. I recall him getting injured quite a bit

  • Atlanta Falcons:   I think you have to look at Matt Ryan,   or Claude Humphrey

    For me it's Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson

    Except, he is best known for being on the Oilers. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @the-gipper said:

    Atlanta Falcons:   I think you have to look at Matt Ryan,   or Claude Humphrey

    For me it's Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson

    Except, he is best known for being on the Oilers. 

    Yeah.. I remember him on both teams.. He was fun as fuck to watch though...