Objective Look @ The Browns
-
OBJECTIVE LOOK AT THE BROWNS??? On BROWNSBOARD????
(I can hear the chant, Ban him, ban him, ban him, ban him.)
(Ready? all the cool kids, let's let him have it) You Idiot! Jerk! YOU DON'T KNOW FOOTBALL!!!@!!!
You take your "objective look" at post elsewhere young man. We base success on positive articles prior to the season and claiming the Steelers cheat.
SO THERE!
-
Haha RIP I stand by my previous comments about your continued hatred for all things Browns. Everything about this team sucks.
And Soldier, optimism? This Board is full of pure pessimism. There are a few of us that always try to look on the bright side because we're diehards. But were you even around after the Packers game? Or the entire offseason?
-
Hey - I'm optimistic.
We play yinz twice, it don't get any better than that.
Regards
..... an'at
.
-
Don't kill the messenger. The Browns, to people outside of Ohio, are just a non-factor this year. The same way you look at Oakland and Cincy as auto-wins, that is what most other teams in the league look at Cleveland as. Cribbs and the QB situation are the two most interesting thing about you guys and the bias towards Quinn is funny to an outsider. I sort of hope he doesn't get the job because then you will at least have some sort of psuedo-excuse and hope for the future and how if the coach would just play Quinn we would win kind of thing going for you. The NFL is better when the Browns are good, I wish you luck, but it is going to be a while. And it sounds like a lot of you are smart enough football fans to realize that this is the case and you will just enjoy each game as a fun few hours to root for the home team. As for the crazies/blinded homers, please respond with your projected number of wins for the Browns cause I am genuinely curious to hear what you believe.
Realistically...
-
On a good day, I've seen fans on this board optomistically hope for 10, but .500 seems to be the hope if I had to average all of the off season predictions. Nobody wants to think about less than 6 wins, and mostly, we're hoping for .500. Personally if we're 6-6 at week 12, and thus at least in the playoff conversation, I'll be very happy.
Of course people outside of Ohio count the Browns as a W. We're a 4-12 team, with a new head coach, who is considering starting the worst QB of '08 over a first round draft choice as our leader on offense.
None of this is news.
But, we're hoping we're one of those teams who surprise this year. This is no different than any other fan base would be in this situation who is hoping THIS is the year.
We'll be a lunch pail team and will have to win on hard work and smart mistake free football - Mangini has no illusions about this.
Thanks for the uninvited reality check, but I think we're fine.
-
Thanks Kemo...I appreciate views that don't come from behind rose colored glasses.
Not that it matters to me, who do you root for??
Don't worry...I don't mind Steeler,Raven, or Bengals fans if they don't come to stir the crap, and I don't think you came here to do that.
Thanks.
To answer your question on wins...I think we could surprise and win more than the 6-8 games you mentioned, but a lot of things will have to go our way.
The new guys will have to step up and a few of the vets who seem up and down need to be mostly up....maybe 9-10 wins, but the 6-8 you mention is more likely.
-
Just thought it would be good for you guys to get an outsider's view on the Browns because you all seem in your own little C-Town world and too fantatical to see the big picture:
The Browns are a 6 to 8 win team depending on injuries/breaks etc. and that is with a relatively soft out of division schedule.
The QB situation is obviously a hot topic, but all you need to know is that the long list of GMs who passed on Brady Quinn and the two coaching staffs who have coached him are a lot smarter in all things football than you are. Outside of Cleveland, what I have heard is bits and pieces like "Brady Quinn involved in gay-bar-altercation, denies involvement... Brady Quinn punched in the weigh-room by teammate, denies wrongdoing" etc. Again, I don't follow every practice and blog, just trying to show you a different perspective and that is that BQ is a dink and dunk quarterback who is not a great leader and has not distinguished himself with all advantages in his favor (1st round pick, bad team so no reason not to start him etc).
Derek Anderson obviously has an NFL arm, lousy mobility, and can throw 5 touchdowns one game and 4 INTs the next (I was surprised to see his INT % below 3% to be honest). As an NFL fan, I much prefer to see him play because his cannon arm is must-see tv entertainment-wise whether he is on or off, but he will never be a good or upper tier quarterback without a good running game and improved defense (not playing from behind all the time).
The O-Line is average compared to other NFL teams and the running game is too.
Mangini to replace Romeo was interesting as they both fell off of the same coaching tree. Again, average compared to the NFL at large.
The D is the biggest problem as it seems the Browns are consistantly ranked in the bottom third of the league which will not do in trying to compete with the Ravens and Steelers (and the Bengals are no longer awful on defense)
I appreciate the passion you all have, but you need to know that realistically this is a bad team and whoever ends up quarterbacking is going to look bad until the running game and D improve. And Braylon Edwards can be a good and bad game-changer as you are all aware. Young quarterbacks need time and Anderson has better NFL tools, but whoever wins the job is in for a long season.
Which leads me to my question: how many wins are you realistically expecting this season?
Just thought it would be good for you guys to get an outsider's view on the Browns because you all seem in your own little C-Town world and too fantatical to see the big picture:
The Browns are a 6 to 8 win team depending on injuries/breaks etc. and that is with a relatively soft out of division schedule.
The QB situation is obviously a hot topic, but all you need to know is that the long list of GMs who passed on Brady Quinn and the two coaching staffs who have coached him are a lot smarter in all things football than you are. Outside of Cleveland, what I have heard is bits and pieces like "Brady Quinn involved in gay-bar-altercation, denies involvement... Brady Quinn punched in the weigh-room by teammate, denies wrongdoing" etc. Again, I don't follow every practice and blog, just trying to show you a different perspective and that is that BQ is a dink and dunk quarterback who is not a great leader and has not distinguished himself with all advantages in his favor (1st round pick, bad team so no reason not to start him etc).
Derek Anderson obviously has an NFL arm, lousy mobility, and can throw 5 touchdowns one game and 4 INTs the next (I was surprised to see his INT % below 3% to be honest). As an NFL fan, I much prefer to see him play because his cannon arm is must-see tv entertainment-wise whether he is on or off, but he will never be a good or upper tier quarterback without a good running game and improved defense (not playing from behind all the time).
The O-Line is average compared to other NFL teams and the running game is too.
Mangini to replace Romeo was interesting as they both fell off of the same coaching tree. Again, average compared to the NFL at large.
The D is the biggest problem as it seems the Browns are consistantly ranked in the bottom third of the league which will not do in trying to compete with the Ravens and Steelers (and the Bengals are no longer awful on defense)
I appreciate the passion you all have, but you need to know that realistically this is a bad team and whoever ends up quarterbacking is going to look bad until the running game and D improve. And Braylon Edwards can be a good and bad game-changer as you are all aware. Young quarterbacks need time and Anderson has better NFL tools, but whoever wins the job is in for a long season.
Which leads me to my question: how many wins are you realistically expecting this season?
Being a dink and dunk QB is not that bad a deal. Joe Montana was a dink and dunk QB, Otto Graham was a dink and dunk QB. Those are two of the winningest QBs in history. And BQ can air it out if he has to, though I agree it is not his forte.
But, otherwise, yes, a team does need all of its components, defense, running game, special teams etc. to win. WE have had below average QBs win Super Bowls because the rest of the components of their team was so strong.
-
On a good day, I've seen fans on this board optomistically hope for 10, but .500 seems to be the hope if I had to average all of the off season predictions. Nobody wants to think about less than 6 wins, and mostly, we're hoping for .500. Personally if we're 6-6 at week 12, and thus at least in the playoff conversation, I'll be very happy.
Of course people outside of Ohio count the Browns as a W. We're a 4-12 team, with a new head coach, who is considering starting the worst QB of '08 over a first round draft choice as our leader on offense.
None of this is news.
But, we're hoping we're one of those teams who surprise this year. This is no different than any other fan base would be in this situation who is hoping THIS is the year.
We'll be a lunch pail team and will have to win on hard work and smart mistake free football - Mangini has no illusions about this.
Thanks for the uninvited reality check, but I think we're fine.
On a good day, I've seen fans on this board optomistically hope for 10, but .500 seems to be the hope if I had to average all of the off season predictions. Nobody wants to think about less than 6 wins, and mostly, we're hoping for .500. Personally if we're 6-6 at week 12, and thus at least in the playoff conversation, I'll be very happy.
Of course people outside of Ohio count the Browns as a W. We're a 4-12 team, with a new head coach, who is considering starting the worst QB of '08 over a first round draft choice as our leader on offense.
None of this is news.
But, we're hoping we're one of those teams who surprise this year. This is no different than any other fan base would be in this situation who is hoping THIS is the year.
We'll be a lunch pail team and will have to win on hard work and smart mistake free football - Mangini has no illusions about this.
Thanks for the uninvited reality check, but I think we're fine.
I don't want the Browns to be the "Suprise" team. I want them to be expected to be good year after year.
-
Dink and dunk can equal west coast offense or a high percentage passing system. I have no problem with either.
As Terry Pluto pointed out, 60% of NFL passes are 1-10 yards.
We're just worried Anderson is another Testaverde. A cannon of an arm, but that's it. For DA, he tends to be immobile, poor with short passes, nervous in the 2-minute drill, frequently intercepted, more of a practice guy than a game day guy, not a strong leader, doesn't protect the ball, poor clock manager, etc, etc, etc. Joe Montana was Joe Montana because of the complete package, not because he could throw the 25-yard out with a little more zip.
-
Don't kill the messenger. The Browns, to people outside of Ohio, are just a non-factor this year. The same way you look at Oakland and Cincy as auto-wins, that is what most other teams in the league look at Cleveland as. Cribbs and the QB situation are the two most interesting thing about you guys and the bias towards Quinn is funny to an outsider. I sort of hope he doesn't get the job because then you will at least have some sort of psuedo-excuse and hope for the future and how if the coach would just play Quinn we would win kind of thing going for you. The NFL is better when the Browns are good, I wish you luck, but it is going to be a while. And it sounds like a lot of you are smart enough football fans to realize that this is the case and you will just enjoy each game as a fun few hours to root for the home team. As for the crazies/blinded homers, please respond with your projected number of wins for the Browns cause I am genuinely curious to hear what you believe.
Realistically...
Don't kill the messenger. The Browns, to people outside of Ohio, are just a non-factor this year. The same way you look at Oakland and Cincy as auto-wins, that is what most other teams in the league look at Cleveland as. Cribbs and the QB situation are the two most interesting thing about you guys and the bias towards Quinn is funny to an outsider. I sort of hope he doesn't get the job because then you will at least have some sort of psuedo-excuse and hope for the future and how if the coach would just play Quinn we would win kind of thing going for you. The NFL is better when the Browns are good, I wish you luck, but it is going to be a while. And it sounds like a lot of you are smart enough football fans to realize that this is the case and you will just enjoy each game as a fun few hours to root for the home team. As for the crazies/blinded homers, please respond with your projected number of wins for the Browns cause I am genuinely curious to hear what you believe.
Realistically...
No one would argue that to outsiders the Browns would be a non-factor. You don't go 4-12 and get any respect. Though, like someone said, this team (and others) seem to do a roller coaster ride. Down one year and they get no respect the following year, but then go 10-6 and have 3-4 prime time games on your schedule and then bite the big ones in those games. (Do the Browns have any prime time games this coming season?)
And, the fact is, Quinn is simply unproven. Nothing else. Not "funny". Not "clueless". Simply inexperienced. He has started 3 games in his career.
As far as predicting the number of wins? Who cares. What I would predict means diddly. They will win the number they win and that is it. They might win some they should have lost (who could have foreseen them manhandling the defending champs Giants last year), and they may lose some they should have won.
In the words of the French: Ca ne fait rien.
-
Don't kill the messenger. The Browns, to people outside of Ohio, are just a non-factor this year. The same way you look at Oakland and Cincy as auto-wins, that is what most other teams in the league look at Cleveland as. Cribbs and the QB situation are the two most interesting thing about you guys and the bias towards Quinn is funny to an outsider. I sort of hope he doesn't get the job because then you will at least have some sort of psuedo-excuse and hope for the future and how if the coach would just play Quinn we would win kind of thing going for you. The NFL is better when the Browns are good, I wish you luck, but it is going to be a while. And it sounds like a lot of you are smart enough football fans to realize that this is the case and you will just enjoy each game as a fun few hours to root for the home team. As for the crazies/blinded homers, please respond with your projected number of wins for the Browns cause I am genuinely curious to hear what you believe.
Realistically...
Don't kill the messenger.
That cliche was brought about ostensibly for the delivering of bad NEWS. You, asshole, delivered an OPINION, so you get no such protection here.
As for the crazies/blinded homers, please respond with your projected number of wins for the Browns cause I am genuinely curious to hear what you believe.
Fcuk off.
If you want to talk in a serious manner, next time, don't come in like a dickhead.
-
Kemo...you said yourself that you don't have a clue what is going on in Browns' camp. How are you going to come on here and try to give an "objective perspective?" The only perspective you are qualified to give about ANY team you know little to nothing about is simply an uneducated guess...In other words, and ASSumption! What were you thinking coming on here, uneducated and uninformed, and starting in on our team?! You start talking about our O-line being average at best and our QB situation and how Quinn isn't a leader and is a dink and dunk passer. What gives you any credibility? Because you follow....oh wait...you have yet to say who you follow! You're probably just another low-life Pissburg Troll coming on here to start shit and make yourself look like and ass! I hope that isn't true. I wouldn't wish that on anyone! But, you have not seen anything other than one good game by Quinn, against Denver, on 2 days preparation, and a few quarters of injury plagued QB'ing, and you are going to give an "objective perspective" on Quinn? And how many games have you seen the Browns play? How many practices have you gone to in Berea?
For your info, Quinn exudes leadership qualities. Anderson was...is...and probably always will be a schmuck on the football field! Our O-line, while not the best in the league, is certainly in the upper half of the teams in the league! And our D, in case you didn't notice, is vastly improved. Also, J Lewis is old, but has already begun to pass the torch to his personal record breaker, James Davis. Our receiving corps is so deep that we have 2-3 possible # 2's. Our special teams, as usual, is one of the league's best. And coaching is incredibly better than last season. Tie all that in with having a weak schedule and you got yourelf a very nice recipe for 7-10 wins!
I don't fault you for being uneducated. I do fault you for trying to discuss something without getting that education!
-
Quite a few things worry the hell out of me about this team.
1. Quinn or Anderson can't "pull ahead" of the other and with as bad as DA was last year that makes it look like we're screwed at qb. I feel DA isn't the answer, we've got to give Quinn a season and if he can't do it cut our losses and draft another qb, then bring in a vet to mentor the kid.
2. I'm stoked about the left side of our oline, think our center will be ready for next season but the right side just isn't coming together like I'd want it.
3. I don't see one back on this team clearly pulling ahead and Lewis is trying to avoid people, not run them over which is what made him a great back and now makes him about on par with most team's 3rd string back or worse. Davis looked great against the Lions, but who doesn't?
4. Secondary, if we don't get a pass rush soon we're going to be eaten alive.
5. Stopping the run, we haven't done it since we got back.
6. Can Edwards catch the damn ball in a REAL game?
We do have some talent, but we're a few injuries away from doing a repeat of last season.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login