Pre-Season, week 1. CLE v JAX 7PM: NFL Network
-
-
-
-
-
-
Got this yesterday in my Yahoo sports, interesting or something (else) ?
QB battle in Jax? Really, Urban?

(James Gilbert/Getty Images)
By Jay Busbee
I drive an Acura SUV. It's a sensible car for a family, a little guzzly on the gas but with more than enough room to carry coolers, chairs, athletic gear and other accoutrements. But I've had my eye on this sweet Dodge Charger Hellcat. You know, the kind of car that doesn't belong anywhere near a carpool line.
If, by some stroke of luck I ended up with a Hellcat — say, if all you Read & Reactors started a GoFundMe and bought me one* — I'd have that bad boy out on the open highway inside of a minute. I damn sure wouldn't be parking it in the garage because I'm comfortable with my reliable old SUV, debating which one I wanted to take on a road trip.
(*-I'm probably legally or ethically required to tell you not to do this.)
And yet, that's exactly what Urban Meyer insists he's doing with the Jacksonville quarterback position, with Gardner Minshew playing the part of the old reliable model and Trevor Lawrence as the sleek, fast wheels that are the envy of the rest of the league.
Speaking on Thursday, Meyer insisted that he hasn't named a starting quarterback for this weekend's first preseason game. When pressed about the idea that a national championship-snaring, hair-flowing #1 overall pick might not start the game, Meyer replied, "I think we'll answer that as we get closer."
Seriously? Look, this is no knock against Minshew, who has one of the better backstories in the NFL. But Lawrence is as sure a bet as you're going to get in the NFL, a dead-bang certain future star who could singlehandedly turn the entire franchise around.
I have no idea what kind of poker player Urban Meyer is. But this angle screams of a guy loudly declaring "These cards are terrible! I am SO UNLUCKY" when he's holding pocket aces. He's obviously hoping some team with questions at QB ('sup, Houston) makes a too-large offer for Minshew. Thing is, there's two full years of data on Minshew already, data that a bluff like this can't erase.
You know the old coaches' line about how when you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks? Right now, the Jaguars have two players capable of playing the position of quarterback, but it's very likely that one is much more capable than the other. Let's not pretend anything else is the case.
It's entirely possible that Urban will lose more games by Thanksgiving than he lost in his entire seven-year tenure at Ohio State. How will he handle that kind of adversity? How will a pro team react to his college tactics?
The Urban Experiment is going to be one of the more fascinating storylines of the 2021 season ... as long as he doesn't outthink himself by ever starting anyone other than Trevor Lawrence at quarterback.
Readers react: You've heard from us, now we want to hear from you. Hit us up at [email protected] with your thoughts on Urban and Trevor or anything else in today's newsletter, and you might just see your words below.
-
Jaxs first team vs Browns 2nd Team slight advantage Browns
-
-
Trevor Laurence is holding the ball way too long. Dude is gonna be sacked 40 times this year
-
-
Jaxs first team vs Browns 2nd Team slight advantage Browns
Jaxs first team vs Browns 2nd Team slight advantage Browns
One thing to remember this year only 3 preseason games less time to judge the newbies, do the BROWNS starters hit it in week 2 and/or 3 ?
Same with the 17 game season some slightly different coaching strategies.
And I'd go CLE +3.5 in Jacksonville.
-
D'E featured on opening drive of the season. Along with Felton, DPJ. And McLaughlin converts a 37 yarder.
-
Jaxs first team vs Browns 2nd Team slight advantage Browns
One thing to remember this year only 3 preseason games less time to judge the newbies, do the BROWNS starters hit it in week 2 and/or 3 ?
Same with the 17 game season some slightly different coaching strategies.
And I'd go CLE +3.5 in Jacksonville.
One thing to remember this year only 3 preseason games less time to judge the newbies, do the BROWNS starters hit it in week 2 and/or 3 ?
Same with the 17 game season some slightly different coaching strategies.
And I'd go CLE +3.5 in Jacksonville.
I say they play three series next week and one the final preseason game. We know what we have we will have plenty of scrimmage time to get in sync. Let’s go into KC with everyone or mostly everyone healthy.
and yes our depth looks good and definitely good enough to get 3 1/2 points
-
-
Jaxs first team vs Browns 2nd Team slight advantage Browns
One thing to remember this year only 3 preseason games less time to judge the newbies, do the BROWNS starters hit it in week 2 and/or 3 ?
Same with the 17 game season some slightly different coaching strategies.
And I'd go CLE +3.5 in Jacksonville.
One thing to remember this year only 3 preseason games less time to judge the newbies, do the BROWNS starters hit it in week 2 and/or 3 ?
Same with the 17 game season some slightly different coaching strategies.
And I'd go CLE +3.5 in Jacksonville.
I say they play three series next week and one the final preseason game. We know what we have we will have plenty of scrimmage time to get in sync. Let’s go into KC with everyone or mostly everyone healthy.
and yes our depth looks good and definitely good enough to get 3 1/2 points
-
Felton AND Johnson are making this team. And I didn’t think it was ever in doubt.
-
-
Gotta be encouraged with backups on defense. Shut down Jacksonville’s starters for the most part
-
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login