Greatest Movie Ever
-
Another book - (we got several at a garage sale in some town - new development in S. Dakota)... we bought and read -
"Crying Wind" - a fascinating autobiography....a look at the poverty stricken life of a 15 year old American Indian girl on a reservation - and her struggles to understand life around her, and understand their religious views - who moved into town...and learned to adapt to town life....
it's funny at times, early on it's very tragic and sad often, and uplifting later on. Not a big book. Just a special one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crying_Wind

-
I have not seen this place so I will put it on my bucket list.
https://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/business/tatanka-story-bison
And since you liked your entire trip let me recommend this novel to you which was published at the 100th year of Colorado statehood in 1976
by this famous author for whom the library at the U. of Northern Colorado was named. He did a lot of his research and writing in that library.
I started a grad degree program there and the novel came out when I was there. It is well worth a read or a listen on Audible.
BTW Centennial is a thinly disguised name for Greeley, Colo. where Michener wrote the novel.
I did read Chesapeake and liked it a lot.
WSS
I did read Chesapeake and liked it a lot.
WSS
I may have to download that on Audible. I have been using that for many books because I have a reading disability that keeps me reading everything at the pace of a history book, i.e. slowwwwwwwwwwwww. LOL! It's been a blessing. I completed the second of Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy ((I read the first on my own) and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich which I have in hardback, but never attempted until Audible.
Right now I'm listening to Don Quixote, another I always wanted to read. I fly to London non-stop next week and plan to keep listening. I listen while on my bike for an hour every day if the weather permits. Eventually I will get the 3rd Shelby Foote book. I have signed Easton Press leatherbound copies of the 3. Good thing he signed before he croaked. ?
-
I have not seen this place so I will put it on my bucket list.
https://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/business/tatanka-story-bison
And since you liked your entire trip let me recommend this novel to you which was published at the 100th year of Colorado statehood in 1976
by this famous author for whom the library at the U. of Northern Colorado was named. He did a lot of his research and writing in that library.
I started a grad degree program there and the novel came out when I was there. It is well worth a read or a listen on Audible.
BTW Centennial is a thinly disguised name for Greeley, Colo. where Michener wrote the novel.
I will get a copy of that. Right now, I am reading... it is really terrific - about this man who was a frontiersman who had many, many adventures out west.

I will get a copy of that. Right now, I am reading... it is really terrific - about this man who was a frontiersman who had many, many adventures out west.
In the novel he talks about a place called Rattlesnake Buttes which in actuality is Pawnee Buttes in the Pawnee National Grasslands NE of Greeley. He called it that because there really are a ton of rattlesnakes out there. Those grasslands could have passed for the area in Dances With Wolves. Been out there just to see what he was describing. It was part of the territory of the great northern Buffalo herd.
-
I did read Chesapeake and liked it a lot.
WSS
I may have to download that on Audible. I have been using that for many books because I have a reading disability that keeps me reading everything at the pace of a history book, i.e. slowwwwwwwwwwwww. LOL! It's been a blessing. I completed the second of Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy ((I read the first on my own) and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich which I have in hardback, but never attempted until Audible.
Right now I'm listening to Don Quixote, another I always wanted to read. I fly to London non-stop next week and plan to keep listening. I listen while on my bike for an hour every day if the weather permits. Eventually I will get the 3rd Shelby Foote book. I have signed Easton Press leatherbound copies of the 3. Good thing he signed before he croaked. ?
I may have to download that on Audible. I have been using that for many books because I have a reading disability that keeps me reading everything at the pace of a history book, i.e. slowwwwwwwwwwwww. LOL! It's been a blessing. I completed the second of Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy ((I read the first on my own) and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich which I have in hardback, but never attempted until Audible.
Right now I'm listening to Don Quixote, another I always wanted to read. I fly to London non-stop next week and plan to keep listening. I listen while on my bike for an hour every day if the weather permits. Eventually I will get the 3rd Shelby Foote book. I have a signed Easton Press leatherbound copies of the 3. Good thing he signed before he croaked. ?
I hear you. I have been binging Cormac McCarthy the last few weeks.
WSS
-
I will get a copy of that. Right now, I am reading... it is really terrific - about this man who was a frontiersman who had many, many adventures out west.
In the novel he talks about a place called Rattlesnake Buttes which in actuality is Pawnee Buttes in the Pawnee National Grasslands NE of Greeley. He called it that because there really are a ton of rattlesnakes out there. Those grasslands could have passed for the area in Dances With Wolves. Been out there just to see what he was describing. It was part of the territory of the great northern Buffalo herd.
In the novel he talks about a place called Rattlesnake Buttes which in actuality is Pawnee Buttes in the Pawnee National Grasslands NE of Greeley. He called it that because there really are a ton of rattlesnakes out there. Those grasslands could have passed for the area in Dances With Wolves. Been out there just to see what he was describing. It was part of the territory of the great northern Buffalo herd.
no surprise, we drove through the Pawnee National Grasslands on our way to Fort Collins Colorado. It is fascinating to see.
https://www.uncovercolorado.com/national-lands/pawnee-national-grassland/
-
In the novel he talks about a place called Rattlesnake Buttes which in actuality is Pawnee Buttes in the Pawnee National Grasslands NE of Greeley. He called it that because there really are a ton of rattlesnakes out there. Those grasslands could have passed for the area in Dances With Wolves. Been out there just to see what he was describing. It was part of the territory of the great northern Buffalo herd.
no surprise, we drove through the Pawnee National Grasslands on our way to Fort Collins Colorado. It is fascinating to see.
https://www.uncovercolorado.com/national-lands/pawnee-national-grassland/
no surprise, we drove through the Pawnee National Grasslands on our way to Fort Collins Colorado. It is fascinating to see.
https://www.uncovercolorado.com/national-lands/pawnee-national-grassland/
Did you drive close enough to see the twin Buttes? They are very distinctive out there, but just a little off main roads. But you can certainly see a long way with no trees to block the views.
-
no surprise, we drove through the Pawnee National Grasslands on our way to Fort Collins Colorado. It is fascinating to see.
https://www.uncovercolorado.com/national-lands/pawnee-national-grassland/
Did you drive close enough to see the twin Buttes? They are very distinctive out there, but just a little off main roads. But you can certainly see a long way with no trees to block the views.
Did you drive close enough to see the twin Buttes? They are very distinctive out there, but just a little off main roads. But you can certainly see a long way with no trees to block the views.
I don't think we saw any of that.
-
Greatest movie ever was the Godfather saga hands down... Nothing comes even remotely close...
-
Oh I think there are a few films on that same level but not many and none better.
WSS
Shawshank comes about the closest for me...
-
Oh I think there are a few films on that same level but not many and none better.
WSS
Shawshank comes about the closest for me...
-
I wouldn't personally put it in the top 10 but it was fine.
WSS
I thought it was phenomenal and I also thought Morgan Freeman stole the show...
-
I wouldn't personally put it in the top 10 but it was fine.
WSS
I thought it was phenomenal and I also thought Morgan Freeman stole the show...
-
Not picking on you it's just I think personally in my top 10 it doesn't make it..
WSS
Fair enough...
-
Not picking on you it's just I think personally in my top 10 it doesn't make it..
WSS
Fair enough...
-
Lawrence of Arabia has to be up in that top 10 somewhere. One of my top 5 anyway.
I agree on Godfather I & II, but not III. It did not come close to the first two.
And lessor known is Out of Africa. I just loved the panoramic scenes and the true story behind it. Much was filmed on the original farm.
BTW-"Stella!!"
-
Even a top-10 is too constricting. I would have a rough time between my number 10 and my number 11. Haha.
The 10 Commandments )Charlton Heston) is up there for me as well as Stanley Kubrick's 2001:A Space Oddessey
-
Even a top-10 is too constricting. I would have a rough time between my number 10 and my number 11. Haha.
The 10 Commandments )Charlton Heston) is up there for me as well as Stanley Kubrick's 2001:A Space Oddessey
-
I believe 2001 is a landmark but I don't think it stands the test of time as well as some others.
WSS
It's one of those movies that requires a lot of inner interpretation I suppose... Not everyone gets it... For me it was a deep , stark look into humanity... Where we began.. Where we might end up...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
