Skip to content

December 12 1964

The Browns Board
16 10 781 1
  • Dig that single bar "mask on Warfield...

    Today that field would be considered damn near unplayable...

    First game at ole Muni? First I remember is vs. WSH maybe around 1966??? I remember Sam Huff was with WSH, so had to have been '64 or later. The was nothing like the contrast of emerging from the dim bowels of that dingy, old beast and then seeing the sunlit field.

  • October 28, 1984

    Browns lost to the Saints at Cleveland Stadium 16-14, Shottenheimer's first game as head coach, as Sam Rutigliano had been fired after the prior game. 

  • Nov. 7, 1993

    My indoctrination into Browns fandom was several years prior watching an infamous playoff loss against the Denver Broncos with my whole family in Van Wert, Oh. While they were all staunch Browns fans they didn’t favor going to many games, so l was in the thick of pubescence before finally attending a game.

    My aunt had scored tickets so we headed up from Cincy to Cleveland to see the game, and of course it was against John Elway and the dreaded Denver Broncos. It has the distinction of being the last game Bernie Kosar ever started for the Browns. He got replaced mid-game and then released from the team shortly thereafter.

    And we lost. I was very much a pro Bernie guy so the whole experience compounded my ire for Elway and the Broncos. To this day l generally root for them to lose just like l would the Steelers.

  • Dad finally talked Mom into taking me at age 5, from Toledo.. Dad & brother Jim, told me I was responsible for breaking a 2 game losing streak back in 1968.. My first game, We beat the Steelers in week 4.. Than rolled out a winning streak of winning 9 of 10... They would not leave home without Me !  Dad made sure my arss was going to school Monday.. This kid would not leave home without his Lucky Leroy Kelly #44 

    Week Date Opponent Result Attendance
    1 September 15 at New Orleans Saints W 24–10 74,215
    2 September 22 at Dallas Cowboys L 7–28 68,733
    3 September 29 Los Angeles Rams L 6–24 82,514
    4 October 5 Pittsburgh Steelers W 31–24 81,865
    5 October 13 St. Louis Cardinals L 21–27 79,349
    6 October 20 at Baltimore Colts W 30–20 60,238
    7 October 27 Atlanta Falcons W 30–7 67,723
    8 November 3 at San Francisco 49ers W 33–21 31,359
    9 November 10 New Orleans Saints W 35–17 71,025
    10 November 17 at Pittsburgh Steelers W 45–24 41,572
    11 November 24 Philadelphia Eagles W 47–13 62,338
    12 December 1 New York Giants W 45–10 83,193
    13 December 8 at Washington Redskins W 24–21 50,661
    14 December 14 at St. Louis Cardinals L 16–27 39,746

    Oh! the good old days my friends ! 

  • I believe my very first game was at the University of Akron rubber bowl. They played the Steelers I think.

    I was really young. Used to study Leroy Kelley - I wanted to grow up and be a running back. It was a preseason game.

    Probably in the late fifties. They won all four exhibition games at the Rubber Bowl.

  • I believe my very first game was at the University of Akron rubber bowl. They played the Steelers I think.

    I was really young. Used to study Leroy Kelley - I wanted to grow up and be a running back. It was a preseason game.

    Probably in the late fifties. They won all four exhibition games at the Rubber Bowl.

    @calfoxwc said:

    They won all four exhibition games at the Rubber Bowl.

    Don't remember any "home" games at the Rubber Bowl... but great purple haze memories of a couple concerts there...

    However, I did work one pre-season at Muni as a vendor... included working one of the last Pro-Football Doubleheaders.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    They won all four exhibition games at the Rubber Bowl.

    Don't remember any "home" games at the Rubber Bowl... but great purple haze memories of a couple concerts there...

    However, I did work one pre-season at Muni as a vendor... included working one of the last Pro-Football Doubleheaders.

    @tour2ma said:

    Don't remember any "home" games at the Rubber Bowl... but great purple haze memories of a couple concerts there...

    However, I did work one pre-season at Muni as a vendor... included working one of the last Pro-Football Doubleheaders.

    well, I think I am a bit older, but it's true. I just don't remember what year it was.

    http://www.brownsdailydose.com/where-did-the-story-of-the-browns-really-begin/

    " The Browns would go to play preseason games at the Rubber Bowl every year through 1973, the team being extremely cognizant of the need to promote itself in the next-biggest market in Northeast Ohio, and the contest 75 years ago is the one that drew the biggest crowd. "

    "What would have happened had the Browns lost the game? We’ll never know. As it turned out, the Browns hardly ever dropped a game during their four-year run in the AAFC through 1949, going a staggering 52-4-3 (.907) in the regular season and playoffs combined, and 5-1-1 in exhibition play, including 4-0 at the Rubber Bowl.

    And it all started that night at the Rubber Bowl exactly 75 years ago."

  • Dig that single bar "mask on Warfield...

    Today that field would be considered damn near unplayable...

    First game at ole Muni? First I remember is vs. WSH maybe around 1966??? I remember Sam Huff was with WSH, so had to have been '64 or later. The was nothing like the contrast of emerging from the dim bowels of that dingy, old beast and then seeing the sunlit field.

    @tour2ma said:

    Dig that single bar "mask on Warfield...

    Today that field would be considered damn near unplayable...

    First game at ole Muni? First I remember is vs. WSH maybe around 1966??? I remember Sam Huff was with WSH, so had to have been '64 or later. The was nothing like the contrast of emerging from the dim bowels of that dingy, old beast and then seeing the sunlit field.

    what a great description! except for me in 1970 it was at an evening Indians game. walking out from the old brick lined walls of the tunnel like ramp up towards a Blue sky and bright green field. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Don't remember any "home" games at the Rubber Bowl... but great purple haze memories of a couple concerts there...

    However, I did work one pre-season at Muni as a vendor... included working one of the last Pro-Football Doubleheaders.

    well, I think I am a bit older, but it's true. I just don't remember what year it was.

    http://www.brownsdailydose.com/where-did-the-story-of-the-browns-really-begin/

    " The Browns would go to play preseason games at the Rubber Bowl every year through 1973, the team being extremely cognizant of the need to promote itself in the next-biggest market in Northeast Ohio, and the contest 75 years ago is the one that drew the biggest crowd. "

    "What would have happened had the Browns lost the game? We’ll never know. As it turned out, the Browns hardly ever dropped a game during their four-year run in the AAFC through 1949, going a staggering 52-4-3 (.907) in the regular season and playoffs combined, and 5-1-1 in exhibition play, including 4-0 at the Rubber Bowl.

    And it all started that night at the Rubber Bowl exactly 75 years ago."

    @calfoxwc said:

    well, I think I am a bit older, but it's true.

    1952 born here so don't bet on it, but apologies at any rate... was not doubting your memory or implying we never played there... I just that I have no memory of it.

    As for why Art would ever pay for a 2nd venue when he had Muni??? It certainly wasn't the "Indians" postseason appearances causing a facility conflict.

    Maybe going to another part of NE Ohio might have drawn more than another downtown CLE preseason tilt and/or expanded the fanbase. But Art was not that deep of a thinker so maybe he simply got a piece of the parking action in Akron? We know he was cash strapped... even with the other owners gifting him the football double-headers gates.

  • I believe my very first game was at the University of Akron rubber bowl. They played the Steelers I think.

    I was really young. Used to study Leroy Kelley - I wanted to grow up and be a running back. It was a preseason game.

    Probably in the late fifties. They won all four exhibition games at the Rubber Bowl.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Leroy Kelley

    Has any player more apply filled a gigantic pair of shoes?

  • @calfoxwc said:

    well, I think I am a bit older, but it's true.

    1952 born here so don't bet on it, but apologies at any rate... was not doubting your memory or implying we never played there... I just that I have no memory of it.

    As for why Art would ever pay for a 2nd venue when he had Muni??? It certainly wasn't the "Indians" postseason appearances causing a facility conflict.

    Maybe going to another part of NE Ohio might have drawn more than another downtown CLE preseason tilt and/or expanded the fanbase. But Art was not that deep of a thinker so maybe he simply got a piece of the parking action in Akron? We know he was cash strapped... even with the other owners gifting him the football double-headers gates.

    @tour2ma said:

    1952 born here so don't bet on it, but apologies at any rate... was not doubting your memory or implying we never played there... I just that I have no memory of it.

    1950 here. "old farts" starts about 1949 and earlier..........lol

  • @tour2ma said:

    1952 born here so don't bet on it, but apologies at any rate... was not doubting your memory or implying we never played there... I just that I have no memory of it.

    1950 here. "old farts" starts about 1949 and earlier..........lol

    @calfoxwc said:

    1950 here. "old farts" starts about 1949 and earlier..........lol

    HEY! I resemble that remark! Let's just say the Browns & I share birth years.

    Mike

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Leroy Kelley

    Has any player more apply filled a gigantic pair of shoes?

    @tour2ma said:

    Has any player more apply filled a gigantic pair of shoes?

    Mickey Mantle replacing Joe DiMaggio in center field for the Yankees is about all I can think of...

  • Dec 12, 1964 I was busy messing with this cute little brown eyed, brown haired brilliant girl. Good thing too since I would marry her just over 5 years later. That was the only brown I could see back in those days and even that I had trouble seeing on beach days.???

  • hmmm this happened about 3 weeks before I was born 'laughs'