Skip to content

The Many Saints of Newark: The Sopranos'

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
9 6 339 1
  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #1

    Well... I won't divulge too much info but to say... I thought it was pretty good... But not great... The Actors did a great job fulfilling their respective roles.. And Michael Gandolfini did a very good young Tony Soprano... But as I watched this movie... I always just got the feeling it just lacked something that the original series had.. I'm not sure I can put my finger on it... The only thing is maybe there is another series on the horizon (rumoured) to fill in some of the obvious gaps this movie has... I really hope so... Because the movie just leaves you wanting more.. Ray Liotta did a nice job as always and it's always nice having a big name in the picture... The movie is very entertaining and not a total loss.. But was not what I really expected.. You decide for yourselves.. Its running on HBO/MAX through Oct 31st and playing at various movie venues... I give it 4 stars...

  • Well... I won't divulge too much info but to say... I thought it was pretty good... But not great... The Actors did a great job fulfilling their respective roles.. And Michael Gandolfini did a very good young Tony Soprano... But as I watched this movie... I always just got the feeling it just lacked something that the original series had.. I'm not sure I can put my finger on it... The only thing is maybe there is another series on the horizon (rumoured) to fill in some of the obvious gaps this movie has... I really hope so... Because the movie just leaves you wanting more.. Ray Liotta did a nice job as always and it's always nice having a big name in the picture... The movie is very entertaining and not a total loss.. But was not what I really expected.. You decide for yourselves.. Its running on HBO/MAX through Oct 31st and playing at various movie venues... I give it 4 stars...

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #2

    @nickers said:

    Well... I won't divulge too much info but to say... I thought it was pretty good... But not great... The Actors did a great job fulfilling their respective roles.. And Michael Gandolfini did a very good young Tony Soprano... But as I watched this movie... I always just got the feeling it just lacked something that the original series had.. I'm not sure I can put my finger on it... The only thing is maybe there is another series on the horizon (rumoured) to fill in some of the obvious gaps this movie has... I really hope so... Because the movie just leaves you wanting more.. Ray Liotta did a nice job as always and it's always nice having a big name in the picture... The movie is very entertaining and not a total loss.. But was not what I really expected.. You decide for yourselves.. Its running on HBO/MAX through Oct 31st and playing at various movie venues... I give it 4 stars...

    Just got back from it. I went for the brick and mortar. A true prequel.

  • @nickers said:

    Well... I won't divulge too much info but to say... I thought it was pretty good... But not great... The Actors did a great job fulfilling their respective roles.. And Michael Gandolfini did a very good young Tony Soprano... But as I watched this movie... I always just got the feeling it just lacked something that the original series had.. I'm not sure I can put my finger on it... The only thing is maybe there is another series on the horizon (rumoured) to fill in some of the obvious gaps this movie has... I really hope so... Because the movie just leaves you wanting more.. Ray Liotta did a nice job as always and it's always nice having a big name in the picture... The movie is very entertaining and not a total loss.. But was not what I really expected.. You decide for yourselves.. Its running on HBO/MAX through Oct 31st and playing at various movie venues... I give it 4 stars...

    Just got back from it. I went for the brick and mortar. A true prequel.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @westside-steve said:

    Just got back from it. I went for the brick and mortar. A true prequel.

    One thing I will say... They did a great job capturing the 60's/70's vibe...

  • @westside-steve said:

    Just got back from it. I went for the brick and mortar. A true prequel.

    One thing I will say... They did a great job capturing the 60's/70's vibe...

    F FairHooker11 wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @nickers said:

    One thing I will say... They did a great job capturing the 60's/70's vibe...

    Id kill for JBL speakers then

    and that blue 67 GTO or the white chev impala ss ...

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #5

    One thing that was consistent.. Every time you turn around... People are eating food LOL.. Just like in the series...

  • One thing that was consistent.. Every time you turn around... People are eating food LOL.. Just like in the series...

    F FairHooker11 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @nickers said:

    One thing that was consistent.. Every time you turn around... People are eating food LOL.. Just like in the series...

    lot of funerals too?

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I just finished it up. I liked it pretty well. I think the biggest kick l got out of it was seeing younger actors pull off the mannerisms of their older counterparts, especially the guys who played Sil and Junior Soprano.ย 

    I always love period stuff too so it was cool seeing the backdrop of the 60s and 70s throughout the film withย the cars, props snd music.ย 

    I also liked how they tied in historical events and how they tied in the civil rights movement, mostly because it really does relate to the mobโ€™s activity in the 70s. From what l gather, there was a span of time where the mob โ€œletโ€ black gangs โ€œtake overโ€ some of the things they had been doing. This led to police crackdowns being directed at those gangs, who were smaller and less centralized in structure, instead of them and allowed them to morph into the more corporatized version of the mob that we see in the Sopranos.ย 

    As a side thing, l recently learned about an episode of the Rockford Files which is believed to be what inspired the Sopranos. The episode was written by David Chase, the creator of the Sopranos.

    https://slate.com/culture/2014/07/the-rockford-files-episode-that-inspired-the-sopranos-1979s-just-a-coupla-guys.html?fbclid=IwAR17XR-yB35oPmOo2F-7zbJ5FPFMMcDfI7Ks9CTMI97RwOCZPjrtbpqYlYc

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #8

    It was okay, I'd give it a C.

  • @nickers said:

    One thing I will say... They did a great job capturing the 60's/70's vibe...

    Id kill for JBL speakers then

    and that blue 67 GTO or the white chev impala ss ...

    bigbamboB bigbambo wrote on last edited by bigbambo
    #9

    @fairhooker11 said:

    Id kill for JBL speakers then

    and that blue 67 GTO or the white chev impala ss ...

    I had JBL 4311B's and they were the shit....

    Smoked and drank the 67 GTO and white Chevy Impala ss