Observations
-
Coleman and Mosely showed themselves well tonight as the run stopping DE's as they were advertised.
The OLB still struggled with pressure minus a gimme Wimbley sack. This has been a issue for awhile and I guess, little surprise.
The ILB's need to blitz more, which I think Veikune is being groomed for, but he is far off.
The DB's need talent. Literally. Clear deficiency there along with OLB.
We need Rogers back asap.
The OL is bad. When Haddie comes back, he may start at LG. Hopefully with Mack making strides as the season goes along and the offensive players get comfortable with BQ, that they mesh into a decent unit. Clearly ahead of the defense in terms of personal sans the OG problem.
Man, you don't have a clue..................................
Coleman and Mosley were alternating. Mosley is the rush guy and Coleman is our run supporter, first and second down guy. R. Smith did a good job is run support tonight. Wimbley and Hall both did a nice job agaqinst the run. Veikune did a few good things but was basically a non factor. He's still thinking too much and not reacting. Williams got caught out of position and overpursued and they cut back on him a few times. Viekune played mostly outside tonight and has been playing outside most of the last two weeks. He spelled Hall. ILBs need to maintain their gap assignments more then they need to blitz. If they maintain gap integrity this team will be much better against the run. Rubin played well getting decent push and played the run well. He will be a very good backup to Rogers.
Remember this is the preseason and teams don't show all their blitz packages or coverage schemes. I looks like Ryan will be much more agressive as a coordinator. He had the team in a 46 defense a few times tonight and I think we will see that more ofter because our DL may be our strength.
Our first team DBs have talent and did a good job. You can't cover for as long as they are being asked to cover for because of no pressure. The team suffers from the lack of an impact player at safety, that's what needs addressed before you look at the corners. Our pressure can't come from corner and safety blitzes. If anybody looked bad tonight it was Hood. He seemed a step slow covering the slot guy. McDonald and Wright actually did a decent job. I don't believe we have yet to see what the nickle and dime packages will be. They have been using a lot of different combinations with Ivy, Hood and Poteat. Even Francies got some time in the nickle and dime packages tonight. He had a few nice plays and a few rookie mistakes. If anything, our ILBs are slow getting into their drops and are overrunning plays creating cutback lanes. Our OLBs actually played well tonight.
The OL did a pretty decent job tonight against a very good Titan defensive team. Steinbach played very well except for one play where he got caught when they ran a stunt, other then that he played well. He was trying to probide help for the center and got caught. What you saw on a few plays that looked like linemen getting beat and QB pressure are called screen passes when they let the DTs in and they pull to set up the screen, which Steinbach did well tonight. He got out in front of the screens well and cleared some ground. Womack also got out in some nice screens and created some nice openings for the backs.
If Haddie comes back, he will be a backup for both guards and backup at center. Mack played a very solid game tonight. He is getting better every game. The guard problems you refer to were one the teams strength tonight. Womack and Steinbach played very well against one of the best defensive fronts in the NFL. Nobody runs between the guards against the Titans. Not because their guards are't getting the job done, but because they have too many guys in the middle to block (ILB and safety in the box and OLBs pinching in). The Browns attacked them the right way. Screens, slants and quick outs off of play action.
Maybe you need to watch the replay or have someone explain to you what you are watching........................LOL
Our first team DBs have talent and did a good job. You can't cover for as long as they are being asked to cover for because of no pressure.
Mack played a very solid game tonight. He is getting better every game. The guard problems you refer to were one the teams strength tonight.
I agree. The proverbial chicken-or-egg debate about whether good DBs generate QB pressure or vica versa applies. I think that overall, with a little pass rush, these DBs are mostly serviceable (at least the corners).
Mack (from what I've read and heard) was very impressive to the Tennessee announcers.
I always get a little nervous when people talk about Veikune "thinking too much" because that's what they used to say about Vernon Gholston last year. Of course, I DID watch the Jets-Giants last night and Gholston continues to look irrelevant whereas Veikune at least shows you flashes. Gholston seems to run right at the blocker...let them engage him and doesn't put on any secondary move to try and disengage or get past. Veikune is more active. That and a dollar get me some coffee but it's an honest observation.
-
I don't know anything? LOL, I know they rotated you idiot.
Alex Hall played poorly. His skills aren't matching up. Yet, the locals wanna try and prop this kid.
Steinbach was awfull, lets prop him up to satisfy my selfish needs. Mercy people.
Listen, the Titans OL had the Browns pushed consistantly downfield, but thanks to early season rust, the backs consistantly missed the holes. I am surprised there aren't more people who missed this.
Doesn't bode well for the Browns run stopping defense.
I don't know anything? LOL, I know they rotated you idiot.
Alex Hall played poorly. His skills aren't matching up. Yet, the locals wanna try and prop this kid.
Steinbach was awfull, lets prop him up to satisfy my selfish needs. Mercy people.
Listen, the Titans OL had the Browns pushed consistantly downfield, but thanks to early season rust, the backs consistantly missed the holes. I am surprised there aren't more people who missed this.
Doesn't bode well for the Browns run stopping defense.
Restin, I usually think you make sense so I think you need a mulligan here.
You DO know this is the SAME Tenn team that shredded Pittsburgh with 31 points last year right? Let's start there first.
Now, what specifically about Steinbach makes you miss Joe Andruzzi at Left Guard? I think I need to hear this so I know exactly what to look for. Does anyone remember the very first preseason Joe Thomas had BEFORE Steinbach made his first start next to Joe? Let's just say - Joe's game got elevated considerably.
Understanding that, when you're playing next to a rookie Center in his very first start against the caliber of opponent Tenn is - were you expecting Steve Hutchinson to go John Deere in clearing out daylight for the inside runs? Our pass protection was pretty freaking good.
I REALLY blame alot of the running game struggles on Jamal Lewis tap dancing. Is the guy auditioning for a starting job or a slot on Dancing with the Stars? Experience will automate his starting job BUT I'm also learning what the Ratbirds got tired of seeing. It seems like their running game got upgraded quite a bit since he left the birdcage. I don't see the same player as I alluded to this in the Pluto thread Berniethekid treated us to.
- Tom F.
-
I don't know anything? LOL, I know they rotated you idiot.
Alex Hall played poorly. His skills aren't matching up. Yet, the locals wanna try and prop this kid.
Steinbach was awfull, lets prop him up to satisfy my selfish needs. Mercy people.
Listen, the Titans OL had the Browns pushed consistantly downfield, but thanks to early season rust, the backs consistantly missed the holes. I am surprised there aren't more people who missed this.
Doesn't bode well for the Browns run stopping defense.
Restin, I usually think you make sense so I think you need a mulligan here.
You DO know this is the SAME Tenn team that shredded Pittsburgh with 31 points last year right? Let's start there first.
Now, what specifically about Steinbach makes you miss Joe Andruzzi at Left Guard? I think I need to hear this so I know exactly what to look for. Does anyone remember the very first preseason Joe Thomas had BEFORE Steinbach made his first start next to Joe? Let's just say - Joe's game got elevated considerably.
Understanding that, when you're playing next to a rookie Center in his very first start against the caliber of opponent Tenn is - were you expecting Steve Hutchinson to go John Deere in clearing out daylight for the inside runs? Our pass protection was pretty freaking good.
I REALLY blame alot of the running game struggles on Jamal Lewis tap dancing. Is the guy auditioning for a starting job or a slot on Dancing with the Stars? Experience will automate his starting job BUT I'm also learning what the Ratbirds got tired of seeing. It seems like their running game got upgraded quite a bit since he left the birdcage. I don't see the same player as I alluded to this in the Pluto thread Berniethekid treated us to.
- Tom F.
I REALLY blame alot of the running game struggles on Jamal Lewis tap dancing. Is the guy auditioning for a starting job or a slot on Dancing with the Stars? Experience will automate his starting job BUT I'm also learning what the Ratbirds got tired of seeing. It seems like their running game got upgraded quite a bit since he left the birdcage. I don't see the same player as I alluded to this in the Pluto thread Berniethekid treated us to.
- Tom F.
I agree. Jamal doesn't have the burst that he used to. That isn't to say that he can't play or be effective. I think that it will be one of those situations where he'll start but that's really for appearances. I think that Harrison and Davis will take a lot of carries away from him. That will also benefit Jamal hopefully allowing him to get through the whole season.
The NFL game is too fast for guys who dance. James Davis' 81-yarder last week was a great example. You're probably allowed one cut at MOST. He hit the hole fast...juked a defender and blew it up. Jamal doesn't hit the hole fast enough and dances a bit too much as well.
Let's not forget however that Jamal Lewis brings something extra to this team: professionalism and leadership. He is mentoring Harrison and Davis and he is clearly a respected voice. If things get rough this season, he'll be the voice between the coaches and the players. Guys like Lewis are necessary especially on teams struggling to find an identity. On defense, I'm not sure that there is that guy (at least I can't tell). Not only is this team lacking in explosive playmakers but it's lacking in locker room leaders. There's a lot of chuckleheads like Shaun Smith that needed cleaning out. Jamal helps greatly in that realm.
-
I think most important thing to making our running work is to be committed to it. It must be a mentality like Pitt, Tenn, and the Panthers. This Offense has no identity right now. Maybe because we are playing experimental QB but its gotta be tough for a running game to get established when very seldom run it twice in a row. Not sure what the answer is but were last in Time of Possession in the NFL in the preseason and we don't score TD's. I really like the screens, with our left side and a young upcoming center we should be a good screen team. NE uses them a lot with success hope that's the case here.
-
I'm worried about our pass D, and our running game. With all the QB hoopla, those two deficiencies are the real story to how our season will go. QB play seems to be NFL average, no better, not really worse. STs are among the best in the league. Game day coaching?? That has yet to show itself as a plus or a minus. If we can stop the run, even just a little bit, and we don't completely collapse in the secondary, then we should be in most games, and at this point, that's a lot better then last year.
I'm worried about our pass D, and our running game.
I agree. But we were playing an IMPROVED 13-3 team. It will get better.
As for J Lew, why does run into our line 90% of the time. Like I said a Retard in a scrum, playing rugby. And yes even when there is a lane. I saw 2-3 times when he had a lane for 2-3 yards and ran right into the back of Pork Chop and Thomas.
-
I don't know anything? LOL, I know they rotated you idiot.
Alex Hall played poorly. His skills aren't matching up. Yet, the locals wanna try and prop this kid.
Steinbach was awfull, lets prop him up to satisfy my selfish needs. Mercy people.
Listen, the Titans OL had the Browns pushed consistantly downfield, but thanks to early season rust, the backs consistantly missed the holes. I am surprised there aren't more people who missed this.
Doesn't bode well for the Browns run stopping defense.
Alex Hall played poorly. His skills aren't matching up. Yet, the locals wanna try and prop this kid.
He got burnt, BAD at least 3 times.
-
I believe the accusation that Jamal is tap dancing is misguided. He may be old, but he knows how to get yards. See below.
"In 2003, Lewis nearly set a new NFL single-season rushing record by rushing for 2,066 yards, leading the league. He fell just 39 yards short of the all time single season rushing record, which remains 2,105 yards, held by Eric Dickerson. Lewis joined Dickerson, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, and O.J. Simpson as the only backs in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season."
-
I believe the accusation that Jamal is tap dancing is misguided. He may be old, but he knows how to get yards. See below.
"In 2003, Lewis nearly set a new NFL single-season rushing record by rushing for 2,066 yards, leading the league. He fell just 39 yards short of the all time single season rushing record, which remains 2,105 yards, held by Eric Dickerson. Lewis joined Dickerson, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, and O.J. Simpson as the only backs in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season."
I believe the accusation that Jamal is tap dancing is misguided. He may be old, but he knows how to get yards. See below.
"In 2003, Lewis nearly set a new NFL single-season rushing record by rushing for 2,066 yards, leading the league. He fell just 39 yards short of the all time single season rushing record, which remains 2,105 yards, held by Eric Dickerson. Lewis joined Dickerson, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, and O.J. Simpson as the only backs in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season."
That was six years ago at age 24. He doesn't hit the hole as fast as he did back then.
-
I believe the accusation that Jamal is tap dancing is misguided. He may be old, but he knows how to get yards. See below.
"In 2003, Lewis nearly set a new NFL single-season rushing record by rushing for 2,066 yards, leading the league. He fell just 39 yards short of the all time single season rushing record, which remains 2,105 yards, held by Eric Dickerson. Lewis joined Dickerson, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, and O.J. Simpson as the only backs in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season."
"In 2003, Lewis nearly set a new NFL single-season rushing record by rushing for 2,066 yards, leading the league. He fell just 39 yards short of the all time single season rushing record, which remains 2,105 yards, held by Eric Dickerson. Lewis joined Dickerson, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, and O.J. Simpson as the only backs in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season."
6 years ago...
And 1,000 of those yards were against the Browns.
-
I'm worried about our defense, but am willing to hope that we aren't "tipping our hand" during preseason.
As much as I hate Pitt & Balt, their defenses COME AFTER you on every play, and seem to never go into a shell. It seems to me we haven't had a pass rush since Jerry Sherk & Walter Johnson. Who knows what Mangini & Ryan are thinking, but playing in the AFC North should clue them in real quick.
Saying that though, I'm still excited about the upcoming season. I actually think we will resemble a pro team, instead of the shamble that was last season.
-
Man does Trent Dilfer have a vendetta or what? He STILL says DA has the edge. Can't wait til BQ is announced the starter and Dilfer goes off on management again.
I want some of whatever he's on.
Then again, I'd be pretty pissed too if I won a Superbowl, got cut, traded, then traded for Dorsey, then cut again.
Bitter doesn't even begin to describe that man. He probably has the names of all the teams he ever played for carved into his toilet so he can get some measure of satisfaction while taking a dump.
I want some of whatever he's on.
Then again, I'd be pretty pissed too if I won a Superbowl, got cut, traded, then traded for Dorsey, then cut again.
Bitter doesn't even begin to describe that man. He probably has the names of all the teams he ever played for carved into his toilet so he can get some measure of satisfaction while taking a dump.
Lumbergh is Trent Dilfer...didn't you guys know?

-
Alex Hall played poorly. His skills aren't matching up. Yet, the locals wanna try and prop this kid.
He got burnt, BAD at least 3 times.
He got burnt, BAD at least 3 times.
And HAll scored a TD on the INT unless they're playing musical jerseys and he's not #51 anymore. People - Chris Johnson ran one of the best 40s ever timed by a RB at Indy so if a 2nd year LBer had trouble beating him to his flats - clue me in how many LBers in this league run better than 4.2s.
Furthermore - as I've said before, Jared Cook is the HOT topic of Tenn training camp because nobody can hang with that guy when they use him as a TE. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say their LBers are a little more proven than ours at this time so if they're having trouble - I GET it. It's why Cook leads their team with 17 receptions in his first 3 games. It ain't regular season yet but they think he's gonna be an X-factor in the passing game barrign the outcome of that injury he suffered yesterday.
About our offense. just remember that Tenn D last year swarmed Pittsburgh's offense and Haynesworth didn't even suit up for that game. I think his backup inside had 2 or 3 sacks so don't think all their success was just Haynesworth-induced. SURE, he'll be missed but they have talent coming out of the woodwork.
Our offense didn't EXPLODE but they moved the ball. Time of possession can prove to be invaluable when it's one of those close games and you need the fresh legs late in the game. Moving the ball breeds confidence and reason for the cause. That being the case, I didn't see or hear any Rollover Beethoven in quarters #3 and 4 yesterday. Bartel even looked good
- Tom F.
-
Fluges is right: Tennessee is a ridiculously talented team.
I don't think Jason Jones - the guy who notched 3.5 sacks against the Steelers last year - played last night, but he's just one guy in what is a very nice DT rotation. Tony Brown, Kevin Vickerson, and Jovan Haye are all guys who could start elsewhere - and as a 2010 FA, Vickerson would be a pretty nice pickup for us.
Their 2nd/3rd string includes Sen'Derrick Marks, a 2nd round rookie, and LaJuan Ramsey, a 4th year guy who finally seems to be putting it together. Ramsey probably won't make the team but will find work elsewhere; I've been impressed with how strong he is at the POA.
Our d-line depth is strong, but theirs is even stronger.
-
He got burnt, BAD at least 3 times.
And HAll scored a TD on the INT unless they're playing musical jerseys and he's not #51 anymore. People - Chris Johnson ran one of the best 40s ever timed by a RB at Indy so if a 2nd year LBer had trouble beating him to his flats - clue me in how many LBers in this league run better than 4.2s.
Furthermore - as I've said before, Jared Cook is the HOT topic of Tenn training camp because nobody can hang with that guy when they use him as a TE. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say their LBers are a little more proven than ours at this time so if they're having trouble - I GET it. It's why Cook leads their team with 17 receptions in his first 3 games. It ain't regular season yet but they think he's gonna be an X-factor in the passing game barrign the outcome of that injury he suffered yesterday.
About our offense. just remember that Tenn D last year swarmed Pittsburgh's offense and Haynesworth didn't even suit up for that game. I think his backup inside had 2 or 3 sacks so don't think all their success was just Haynesworth-induced. SURE, he'll be missed but they have talent coming out of the woodwork.
Our offense didn't EXPLODE but they moved the ball. Time of possession can prove to be invaluable when it's one of those close games and you need the fresh legs late in the game. Moving the ball breeds confidence and reason for the cause. That being the case, I didn't see or hear any Rollover Beethoven in quarters #3 and 4 yesterday. Bartel even looked good
- Tom F.
-
I'm f'ucking Retarded. I meant Alex Mack, sorry. Alex Hall should start.
You're fine Kosar. Someone in another thread was blasting Hall today so I just piggybacked on the opportunity to discuss him here.
My gut is telling me - the upgraded coaching staff is going to give us better play on the edge and in coverage. I look for our hook zones and flats to be better covered. Meanwhile I think we're going to see much better contain and outside leverage vrs the run. As I already mentioned, if our NT performance resembles yesterday from our 2nd string NT - that's going to leave alot of FBs blocking our ILBs instead of girthier guards. Should make life alot easier for the ILBers if they're the right guys for the challenge.
- Tom F.
-
Steinbach. Not sure if he's 100%. He got beaten badly on an inside pass rush and sorta flailed at a guy on a screen. His forte is supposed to be his feet and he looked slow on both plays.
Rookie DT Sen'Derrick Marks also got past Steinbach on a run play. Marks isn't a power player - he only put up a 16 bench at his pro day. Instead, it looked like he was just too quick and - at 6'1" - too low for the 6'6" Steinbach to handle.
When I was at camp, the players stretched by walking across the field, touching the bottom of their cleats every couple steps. I noticed that Steinbach was the only guy who couldn't (or wouldn't) reach all the way down. Could be nothing, but as someone who has had back issues, I took note of it.
I still think he'll be a decent starter this year. If anything, it seemed like Womack was having more trouble holding his ground: I saw him get pushed back twice, once by a 2nd team player (LaJuan Ramsey). And there were several plays where both guys did a good job but Jamal was just too slow to make anything of it.
But I wouldn't be surprised if this is Steiny's last year in Cleveland. That $5.75M 2010 base salary is just a little too pricey for a guy whose best days may be behind him.
Aloysius said:
Rookie DT Sen'Derrick Marks also got past Steinbach on a run play. Marks isn't a power player - he only put up a 16 bench at his pro day. Instead, it looked like he was just too quick and - at 6'1" - too low for the 6'6" Steinbach to handle.When I was at camp, the players stretched by walking across the field, touching the bottom of their cleats every couple steps. I noticed that Steinbach was the only guy who couldn't (or wouldn't) reach all the way down. Could be nothing, but as someone who has had back issues, I took note of it.
I still think he'll be a decent starter this year. If anything, it seemed like Womack was having more trouble holding his ground: I saw him get pushed back twice, once by a 2nd team player (LaJuan Ramsey). And there were several plays where both guys did a good job but Jamal was just too slow to make anything of it.
But I wouldn't be surprised if this is Steiny's last year in Cleveland. That $5.75M 2010 base salary is just a little too pricey for a guy whose best days may be behind him.
That's interesting. I appreciate you pointing this out Alo and it's making some sense to me. I think Steinbach's adjusting to some type of injury that impacts his ability to play with better leverage. I don't think he's lost a step of quickness or the advantage of knowing the snap count. He also seems to do well in pass protection for the most part.
His run-blocking looks impacted some to me particularly on the Marks play you described. I learned from a football icon that said it doesn't matter how much you can bench OR lift if you can't SQUAT and play with better leverage than your opponent in the trenches. STRONGER guys don't always win - it's the guys that understand and apply the physics better. If you can remove someone's base by getting underneath them during the collision, You've just won leverage and positioning. 3 years ago Steinbach would have cleaned Marks' clock on that play IMO.
I agree with what you say that Steinbach is still a decent starter. I think Joe T found him invaluable to the learning curve in 07 when we saw how he did without Steinbach next to him in some of the preseason games. Now i think he'll be a positive influence to Mack on the other side of him.
- Tom F.
-
Aloysius said:
Rookie DT Sen'Derrick Marks also got past Steinbach on a run play. Marks isn't a power player - he only put up a 16 bench at his pro day. Instead, it looked like he was just too quick and - at 6'1" - too low for the 6'6" Steinbach to handle.When I was at camp, the players stretched by walking across the field, touching the bottom of their cleats every couple steps. I noticed that Steinbach was the only guy who couldn't (or wouldn't) reach all the way down. Could be nothing, but as someone who has had back issues, I took note of it.
I still think he'll be a decent starter this year. If anything, it seemed like Womack was having more trouble holding his ground: I saw him get pushed back twice, once by a 2nd team player (LaJuan Ramsey). And there were several plays where both guys did a good job but Jamal was just too slow to make anything of it.
But I wouldn't be surprised if this is Steiny's last year in Cleveland. That $5.75M 2010 base salary is just a little too pricey for a guy whose best days may be behind him.
That's interesting. I appreciate you pointing this out Alo and it's making some sense to me. I think Steinbach's adjusting to some type of injury that impacts his ability to play with better leverage. I don't think he's lost a step of quickness or the advantage of knowing the snap count. He also seems to do well in pass protection for the most part.
His run-blocking looks impacted some to me particularly on the Marks play you described. I learned from a football icon that said it doesn't matter how much you can bench OR lift if you can't SQUAT and play with better leverage than your opponent in the trenches. STRONGER guys don't always win - it's the guys that understand and apply the physics better. If you can remove someone's base by getting underneath them during the collision, You've just won leverage and positioning. 3 years ago Steinbach would have cleaned Marks' clock on that play IMO.
I agree with what you say that Steinbach is still a decent starter. I think Joe T found him invaluable to the learning curve in 07 when we saw how he did without Steinbach next to him in some of the preseason games. Now i think he'll be a positive influence to Mack on the other side of him.
- Tom F.
That's interesting. I appreciate you pointing this out Alo and it's making some sense to me. I think Steinbach's adjusting to some type of injury that impacts his ability to play with better leverage. I don't think he's lost a step of quickness or the advantage of knowing the snap count. He also seems to do well in pass protection for the most part.
His run-blocking looks impacted some to me particularly on the Marks play you described. I learned from a football icon that said it doesn't matter how much you can bench OR lift if you can't SQUAT and play with better leverage than your opponent in the trenches. STRONGER guys don't always win - it's the guys that understand and apply the physics better. If you can remove someone's base by getting underneath them during the collision, You've just won leverage and positioning. 3 years ago Steinbach would have cleaned Marks' clock on that play IMO.
I agree with what you say that Steinbach is still a decent starter. I think Joe T found him invaluable to the learning curve in 07 when we saw how he did without Steinbach next to him in some of the preseason games. Now i think he'll be a positive influence to Mack on the other side of him.
- Tom F.
Your loyalty to Steinbach is charming, but badly misplaced.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login