Skip to content

Observations

The Browns Board
53 26 3.4k
  • I think most important thing to making our running work is to be committed to it. It must be a mentality like Pitt, Tenn, and the Panthers. This Offense has no identity right now. Maybe because we are playing experimental QB but its gotta be tough for a running game to get established when very seldom run it twice in a row. Not sure what the answer is but were last in Time of Possession in the NFL in the preseason and we don't score TD's. I really like the screens, with our left side and a young upcoming center we should be a good screen team. NE uses them a lot with success hope that's the case here.

  • Hood looked horrible. He was beat several times and was giving a huge cushion to the receiver. Jamal also looked really bad. He seems very slow as you can see the hole actually close before he gets to it.

  • I'm worried about our pass D, and our running game. With all the QB hoopla, those two deficiencies are the real story to how our season will go. QB play seems to be NFL average, no better, not really worse. STs are among the best in the league. Game day coaching?? That has yet to show itself as a plus or a minus. If we can stop the run, even just a little bit, and we don't completely collapse in the secondary, then we should be in most games, and at this point, that's a lot better then last year.

    @d-bone said:

    I'm worried about our pass D, and our running game.

    I agree. But we were playing an IMPROVED 13-3 team. It will get better.

    As for J Lew, why does run into our line 90% of the time. Like I said a Retard in a scrum, playing rugby. And yes even when there is a lane. I saw 2-3 times when he had a lane for 2-3 yards and ran right into the back of Pork Chop and Thomas.

  • I don't know anything? LOL, I know they rotated you idiot.

    Alex Hall played poorly. His skills aren't matching up. Yet, the locals wanna try and prop this kid.

    Steinbach was awfull, lets prop him up to satisfy my selfish needs. Mercy people.

    Listen, the Titans OL had the Browns pushed consistantly downfield, but thanks to early season rust, the backs consistantly missed the holes. I am surprised there aren't more people who missed this.

    Doesn't bode well for the Browns run stopping defense.

    @restinpeace said:

    Alex Hall played poorly. His skills aren't matching up. Yet, the locals wanna try and prop this kid.

    He got burnt, BAD at least 3 times.

  • I believe the accusation that Jamal is tap dancing is misguided. He may be old, but he knows how to get yards. See below.

    "In 2003, Lewis nearly set a new NFL single-season rushing record by rushing for 2,066 yards, leading the league. He fell just 39 yards short of the all time single season rushing record, which remains 2,105 yards, held by Eric Dickerson. Lewis joined Dickerson, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, and O.J. Simpson as the only backs in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season."

  • I believe the accusation that Jamal is tap dancing is misguided. He may be old, but he knows how to get yards. See below.

    "In 2003, Lewis nearly set a new NFL single-season rushing record by rushing for 2,066 yards, leading the league. He fell just 39 yards short of the all time single season rushing record, which remains 2,105 yards, held by Eric Dickerson. Lewis joined Dickerson, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, and O.J. Simpson as the only backs in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season."

    @thomasw said:

    I believe the accusation that Jamal is tap dancing is misguided. He may be old, but he knows how to get yards. See below.

    "In 2003, Lewis nearly set a new NFL single-season rushing record by rushing for 2,066 yards, leading the league. He fell just 39 yards short of the all time single season rushing record, which remains 2,105 yards, held by Eric Dickerson. Lewis joined Dickerson, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, and O.J. Simpson as the only backs in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season."

    That was six years ago at age 24. He doesn't hit the hole as fast as he did back then.

  • There is some truth in him slowing down. But, I feel like there is a lot of animosity because he torched the Browns for 296 yards.

    He will be a serviceable back in the red zone, and he will get less reps if Davis steps up.

  • I believe the accusation that Jamal is tap dancing is misguided. He may be old, but he knows how to get yards. See below.

    "In 2003, Lewis nearly set a new NFL single-season rushing record by rushing for 2,066 yards, leading the league. He fell just 39 yards short of the all time single season rushing record, which remains 2,105 yards, held by Eric Dickerson. Lewis joined Dickerson, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, and O.J. Simpson as the only backs in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season."

    @thomasw said:

    "In 2003, Lewis nearly set a new NFL single-season rushing record by rushing for 2,066 yards, leading the league. He fell just 39 yards short of the all time single season rushing record, which remains 2,105 yards, held by Eric Dickerson. Lewis joined Dickerson, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, and O.J. Simpson as the only backs in NFL history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season."

    6 years ago...

    And 1,000 of those yards were against the Browns.

  • I'm worried about our defense, but am willing to hope that we aren't "tipping our hand" during preseason.

    As much as I hate Pitt & Balt, their defenses COME AFTER you on every play, and seem to never go into a shell. It seems to me we haven't had a pass rush since Jerry Sherk & Walter Johnson. Who knows what Mangini & Ryan are thinking, but playing in the AFC North should clue them in real quick.

    Saying that though, I'm still excited about the upcoming season. I actually think we will resemble a pro team, instead of the shamble that was last season.

  • @d-qwimbley said:

    Man does Trent Dilfer have a vendetta or what? He STILL says DA has the edge. Can't wait til BQ is announced the starter and Dilfer goes off on management again.

    I want some of whatever he's on.

    Then again, I'd be pretty pissed too if I won a Superbowl, got cut, traded, then traded for Dorsey, then cut again.

    Bitter doesn't even begin to describe that man. He probably has the names of all the teams he ever played for carved into his toilet so he can get some measure of satisfaction while taking a dump.

    @tobalaz said:

    I want some of whatever he's on.

    Then again, I'd be pretty pissed too if I won a Superbowl, got cut, traded, then traded for Dorsey, then cut again.

    Bitter doesn't even begin to describe that man. He probably has the names of all the teams he ever played for carved into his toilet so he can get some measure of satisfaction while taking a dump.

    Lumbergh is Trent Dilfer...didn't you guys know? 😳

  • @restinpeace said:

    Alex Hall played poorly. His skills aren't matching up. Yet, the locals wanna try and prop this kid.

    He got burnt, BAD at least 3 times.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    He got burnt, BAD at least 3 times.

    And HAll scored a TD on the INT unless they're playing musical jerseys and he's not #51 anymore. People - Chris Johnson ran one of the best 40s ever timed by a RB at Indy so if a 2nd year LBer had trouble beating him to his flats - clue me in how many LBers in this league run better than 4.2s.

    Furthermore - as I've said before, Jared Cook is the HOT topic of Tenn training camp because nobody can hang with that guy when they use him as a TE. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say their LBers are a little more proven than ours at this time so if they're having trouble - I GET it. It's why Cook leads their team with 17 receptions in his first 3 games. It ain't regular season yet but they think he's gonna be an X-factor in the passing game barrign the outcome of that injury he suffered yesterday.

    About our offense. just remember that Tenn D last year swarmed Pittsburgh's offense and Haynesworth didn't even suit up for that game. I think his backup inside had 2 or 3 sacks so don't think all their success was just Haynesworth-induced. SURE, he'll be missed but they have talent coming out of the woodwork.

    Our offense didn't EXPLODE but they moved the ball. Time of possession can prove to be invaluable when it's one of those close games and you need the fresh legs late in the game. Moving the ball breeds confidence and reason for the cause. That being the case, I didn't see or hear any Rollover Beethoven in quarters #3 and 4 yesterday. Bartel even looked good

    - Tom F.

  • Fluges is right: Tennessee is a ridiculously talented team.

    I don't think Jason Jones - the guy who notched 3.5 sacks against the Steelers last year - played last night, but he's just one guy in what is a very nice DT rotation. Tony Brown, Kevin Vickerson, and Jovan Haye are all guys who could start elsewhere - and as a 2010 FA, Vickerson would be a pretty nice pickup for us.

    Their 2nd/3rd string includes Sen'Derrick Marks, a 2nd round rookie, and LaJuan Ramsey, a 4th year guy who finally seems to be putting it together. Ramsey probably won't make the team but will find work elsewhere; I've been impressed with how strong he is at the POA.

    Our d-line depth is strong, but theirs is even stronger.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    He got burnt, BAD at least 3 times.

    And HAll scored a TD on the INT unless they're playing musical jerseys and he's not #51 anymore. People - Chris Johnson ran one of the best 40s ever timed by a RB at Indy so if a 2nd year LBer had trouble beating him to his flats - clue me in how many LBers in this league run better than 4.2s.

    Furthermore - as I've said before, Jared Cook is the HOT topic of Tenn training camp because nobody can hang with that guy when they use him as a TE. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say their LBers are a little more proven than ours at this time so if they're having trouble - I GET it. It's why Cook leads their team with 17 receptions in his first 3 games. It ain't regular season yet but they think he's gonna be an X-factor in the passing game barrign the outcome of that injury he suffered yesterday.

    About our offense. just remember that Tenn D last year swarmed Pittsburgh's offense and Haynesworth didn't even suit up for that game. I think his backup inside had 2 or 3 sacks so don't think all their success was just Haynesworth-induced. SURE, he'll be missed but they have talent coming out of the woodwork.

    Our offense didn't EXPLODE but they moved the ball. Time of possession can prove to be invaluable when it's one of those close games and you need the fresh legs late in the game. Moving the ball breeds confidence and reason for the cause. That being the case, I didn't see or hear any Rollover Beethoven in quarters #3 and 4 yesterday. Bartel even looked good

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    And HAll scored a TD on the INT unless they're playing musical jerseys and he's not #51 anymore.

    I'm f'ucking Retarded. I meant Alex Mack, sorry. Alex Hall should start.

  • @flugel said:

    And HAll scored a TD on the INT unless they're playing musical jerseys and he's not #51 anymore.

    I'm f'ucking Retarded. I meant Alex Mack, sorry. Alex Hall should start.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    I'm f'ucking Retarded. I meant Alex Mack, sorry. Alex Hall should start.

    You're fine Kosar. Someone in another thread was blasting Hall today so I just piggybacked on the opportunity to discuss him here.

    My gut is telling me - the upgraded coaching staff is going to give us better play on the edge and in coverage. I look for our hook zones and flats to be better covered. Meanwhile I think we're going to see much better contain and outside leverage vrs the run. As I already mentioned, if our NT performance resembles yesterday from our 2nd string NT - that's going to leave alot of FBs blocking our ILBs instead of girthier guards. Should make life alot easier for the ILBers if they're the right guys for the challenge.

    - Tom F.

  • @greythan said:

    Steinbach. Not sure if he's 100%. He got beaten badly on an inside pass rush and sorta flailed at a guy on a screen. His forte is supposed to be his feet and he looked slow on both plays.

    Rookie DT Sen'Derrick Marks also got past Steinbach on a run play. Marks isn't a power player - he only put up a 16 bench at his pro day. Instead, it looked like he was just too quick and - at 6'1" - too low for the 6'6" Steinbach to handle.

    When I was at camp, the players stretched by walking across the field, touching the bottom of their cleats every couple steps. I noticed that Steinbach was the only guy who couldn't (or wouldn't) reach all the way down. Could be nothing, but as someone who has had back issues, I took note of it.

    I still think he'll be a decent starter this year. If anything, it seemed like Womack was having more trouble holding his ground: I saw him get pushed back twice, once by a 2nd team player (LaJuan Ramsey). And there were several plays where both guys did a good job but Jamal was just too slow to make anything of it.

    But I wouldn't be surprised if this is Steiny's last year in Cleveland. That $5.75M 2010 base salary is just a little too pricey for a guy whose best days may be behind him.

    Aloysius said:

    Rookie DT Sen'Derrick Marks also got past Steinbach on a run play. Marks isn't a power player - he only put up a 16 bench at his pro day. Instead, it looked like he was just too quick and - at 6'1" - too low for the 6'6" Steinbach to handle.

    When I was at camp, the players stretched by walking across the field, touching the bottom of their cleats every couple steps. I noticed that Steinbach was the only guy who couldn't (or wouldn't) reach all the way down. Could be nothing, but as someone who has had back issues, I took note of it.

    I still think he'll be a decent starter this year. If anything, it seemed like Womack was having more trouble holding his ground: I saw him get pushed back twice, once by a 2nd team player (LaJuan Ramsey). And there were several plays where both guys did a good job but Jamal was just too slow to make anything of it.

    But I wouldn't be surprised if this is Steiny's last year in Cleveland. That $5.75M 2010 base salary is just a little too pricey for a guy whose best days may be behind him.

    That's interesting. I appreciate you pointing this out Alo and it's making some sense to me. I think Steinbach's adjusting to some type of injury that impacts his ability to play with better leverage. I don't think he's lost a step of quickness or the advantage of knowing the snap count. He also seems to do well in pass protection for the most part.

    His run-blocking looks impacted some to me particularly on the Marks play you described. I learned from a football icon that said it doesn't matter how much you can bench OR lift if you can't SQUAT and play with better leverage than your opponent in the trenches. STRONGER guys don't always win - it's the guys that understand and apply the physics better. If you can remove someone's base by getting underneath them during the collision, You've just won leverage and positioning. 3 years ago Steinbach would have cleaned Marks' clock on that play IMO.

    I agree with what you say that Steinbach is still a decent starter. I think Joe T found him invaluable to the learning curve in 07 when we saw how he did without Steinbach next to him in some of the preseason games. Now i think he'll be a positive influence to Mack on the other side of him.

    - Tom F.

  • You're probably allowed one cut at MOST. He hit the hole fast...juked a defender and blew it up. Jamal doesn't hit the hole fast enough and dances a bit too much as well.

    he does a wonderful softshoe though...lol

  • Aloysius said:

    Rookie DT Sen'Derrick Marks also got past Steinbach on a run play. Marks isn't a power player - he only put up a 16 bench at his pro day. Instead, it looked like he was just too quick and - at 6'1" - too low for the 6'6" Steinbach to handle.

    When I was at camp, the players stretched by walking across the field, touching the bottom of their cleats every couple steps. I noticed that Steinbach was the only guy who couldn't (or wouldn't) reach all the way down. Could be nothing, but as someone who has had back issues, I took note of it.

    I still think he'll be a decent starter this year. If anything, it seemed like Womack was having more trouble holding his ground: I saw him get pushed back twice, once by a 2nd team player (LaJuan Ramsey). And there were several plays where both guys did a good job but Jamal was just too slow to make anything of it.

    But I wouldn't be surprised if this is Steiny's last year in Cleveland. That $5.75M 2010 base salary is just a little too pricey for a guy whose best days may be behind him.

    That's interesting. I appreciate you pointing this out Alo and it's making some sense to me. I think Steinbach's adjusting to some type of injury that impacts his ability to play with better leverage. I don't think he's lost a step of quickness or the advantage of knowing the snap count. He also seems to do well in pass protection for the most part.

    His run-blocking looks impacted some to me particularly on the Marks play you described. I learned from a football icon that said it doesn't matter how much you can bench OR lift if you can't SQUAT and play with better leverage than your opponent in the trenches. STRONGER guys don't always win - it's the guys that understand and apply the physics better. If you can remove someone's base by getting underneath them during the collision, You've just won leverage and positioning. 3 years ago Steinbach would have cleaned Marks' clock on that play IMO.

    I agree with what you say that Steinbach is still a decent starter. I think Joe T found him invaluable to the learning curve in 07 when we saw how he did without Steinbach next to him in some of the preseason games. Now i think he'll be a positive influence to Mack on the other side of him.

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    That's interesting. I appreciate you pointing this out Alo and it's making some sense to me. I think Steinbach's adjusting to some type of injury that impacts his ability to play with better leverage. I don't think he's lost a step of quickness or the advantage of knowing the snap count. He also seems to do well in pass protection for the most part.

    His run-blocking looks impacted some to me particularly on the Marks play you described. I learned from a football icon that said it doesn't matter how much you can bench OR lift if you can't SQUAT and play with better leverage than your opponent in the trenches. STRONGER guys don't always win - it's the guys that understand and apply the physics better. If you can remove someone's base by getting underneath them during the collision, You've just won leverage and positioning. 3 years ago Steinbach would have cleaned Marks' clock on that play IMO.

    I agree with what you say that Steinbach is still a decent starter. I think Joe T found him invaluable to the learning curve in 07 when we saw how he did without Steinbach next to him in some of the preseason games. Now i think he'll be a positive influence to Mack on the other side of him.

    - Tom F.

    Your loyalty to Steinbach is charming, but badly misplaced.

  • Just wanted to send a HUGE thank you to everyone on this thread. After wasting waaaay too much time on those poster bashing threads I find one that has great info and opinions. Not being able to watch many Browns games it's great to read your stuff. Here's hoping for more of the same throughout the season.

  • @flugel said:

    That's interesting. I appreciate you pointing this out Alo and it's making some sense to me. I think Steinbach's adjusting to some type of injury that impacts his ability to play with better leverage. I don't think he's lost a step of quickness or the advantage of knowing the snap count. He also seems to do well in pass protection for the most part.

    His run-blocking looks impacted some to me particularly on the Marks play you described. I learned from a football icon that said it doesn't matter how much you can bench OR lift if you can't SQUAT and play with better leverage than your opponent in the trenches. STRONGER guys don't always win - it's the guys that understand and apply the physics better. If you can remove someone's base by getting underneath them during the collision, You've just won leverage and positioning. 3 years ago Steinbach would have cleaned Marks' clock on that play IMO.

    I agree with what you say that Steinbach is still a decent starter. I think Joe T found him invaluable to the learning curve in 07 when we saw how he did without Steinbach next to him in some of the preseason games. Now i think he'll be a positive influence to Mack on the other side of him.

    - Tom F.

    Your loyalty to Steinbach is charming, but badly misplaced.

    @restinpeace said:

    Your loyalty to Steinbach is charming, but badly misplaced.

    Until you get better at pointing out the WHY behind your statement - your comments kind of get lost in space. That's constructive criticism I hope you take advantage of. All these remarks from you without 1 example of what you mean makes an arguement weak as hell guy. Sorry.

    Steinbach's got a great resume and at this time - we don't have a more proven Guard on the roster. You and I better hope he's good this year or we're in trouble. And then I see the night all 3 of our QBs had throwing the ball and stand by my conclusion that the pass protection held up well. The run-blocking needs to improve BUT so does Jamal getting to the hole when it's there. If you want to pin all that on Steinbach then so be it.

    Furthermore, it wasn't THAT long ago I was looking at a left side of Kevin Shaffer and Joe Andruzzi. So please filll me in on why I should miss Joe Andruzzi as much as you do. Specific examples are welcomed here.

    - Tom F.

  • @gips said:

    BQ is use to smart passing for a living ND had no running game so it may not be as bad a year as you think even though a running game would be nice....😉

    Are you sure about that?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Walker

    @drunkandstoopid said:

    Are you sure about that?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Walker

    With an extra half-step, Walker is the next Barry Sanders. And nobody ever knows who Reggie Bush is.