Skip to content

Observations

The Browns Board
53 26 3.4k
  • Wimbley looked pretty darn good tonight. Saw his stand up a blocker at point of attack and turn the play inside/get in on the tackle. Had a sack and brought pressure on several plays. Good to see.

    Mosley/Coleman. I'm not sure why the Jets let these guys go. Man, they are active. Its shocking to see what an active DE in the 3-4 can actually do: make tackles. Love what I've seen from both these guys all preseason and again tonight.

    Secondary. Not feeling great about our safeties. Wright and McDonald still feel "young" but talented.

    Steinbach. Not sure if he's 100%. He got beaten badly on an inside pass rush and sorta flailed at a guy on a screen. His forte is supposed to be his feet and he looked slow on both plays.

    Running game. Did we have one? TN is tough but man, we need to find some semblance of a running game or its going to be an ugly year.

    BE. The guy's frame and ability are world class. If he can conquer the mental side of the game, he can be great.

    Cribbs. Really seems to be blossoming. His hands set up technically "well" to receive the ball and look soft. He's a defensive nightmare after the catch as he's simply too physically strong for most corners. Like what I'm seeing there. Oh yeah, he had a world class kickoff return too. Note to Mangini: renegotiate this guy's contract now.

    QB's. Quinn's won the competition. After the initial missed throw, he went 7 of his next 8 with his one miss being an intentional incompletion through the bak of the endzone. How about the audible into the pass for the TD to BE? Great to see.. 11 of 15 for 121 yards and a TD posting a 121 rating. That said, we have the best backup in the NFL in DA. I love him in rhthym. I don't love him when the play doesn't come over the radio (delay of game). I just don't think his arm is enough, especially with Quinn playing well.

    Summary: Passing game looked great. Run defense looked pretty good. Run offense and pass defense were bad. Special teams kicked arse and pretty much made the difference (blocked FG and fumble setting up the short field for a TD).

    Its almost football season gang!

  • I'm worried about our pass D, and our running game. With all the QB hoopla, those two deficiencies are the real story to how our season will go. QB play seems to be NFL average, no better, not really worse. STs are among the best in the league. Game day coaching?? That has yet to show itself as a plus or a minus. If we can stop the run, even just a little bit, and we don't completely collapse in the secondary, then we should be in most games, and at this point, that's a lot better then last year.

  • While our D has had problems every game, I really like the progress it makes from game to game. It seems like Ryan may be doing a good job, and fixing the holes and problems from week to week, and they are really improving. we did great against the run considering how good tenn last year running. havn't seen us play that well against the run in years.

  • Coleman and Mosely showed themselves well tonight as the run stopping DE's as they were advertised.

    The OLB still struggled with pressure minus a gimme Wimbley sack. This has been a issue for awhile and I guess, little surprise.

    The ILB's need to blitz more, which I think Veikune is being groomed for, but he is far off.

    The DB's need talent. Literally. Clear deficiency there along with OLB.

    We need Rogers back asap.

    The OL is bad. When Haddie comes back, he may start at LG. Hopefully with Mack making strides as the season goes along and the offensive players get comfortable with BQ, that they mesh into a decent unit. Clearly ahead of the defense in terms of personal sans the OG problem.

  • BQ is use to smart passing for a living ND had no running game so it may not be as bad a year as you think even though a running game would be nice....😉

    Whats sad is our offensive line woes havent even began yet but will start shortly after the season opens...

  • I want to throw in that Wright/McDonald didn't play on that TD Drive. Hood and freaking Hank Poteat were the victims. Add to that Pool was out, Adams was in.

  • Add to that Pool was out, Adams was in.

    Get used to that. I think Pool might be done. The concussion thing is pretty epic with him.

  • Wimbley looked pretty darn good tonight. Saw his stand up a blocker at point of attack and turn the play inside/get in on the tackle. Had a sack and brought pressure on several plays. Good to see.

    Mosley/Coleman. I'm not sure why the Jets let these guys go. Man, they are active. Its shocking to see what an active DE in the 3-4 can actually do: make tackles. Love what I've seen from both these guys all preseason and again tonight.

    Secondary. Not feeling great about our safeties. Wright and McDonald still feel "young" but talented.

    Steinbach. Not sure if he's 100%. He got beaten badly on an inside pass rush and sorta flailed at a guy on a screen. His forte is supposed to be his feet and he looked slow on both plays.

    Running game. Did we have one? TN is tough but man, we need to find some semblance of a running game or its going to be an ugly year.

    BE. The guy's frame and ability are world class. If he can conquer the mental side of the game, he can be great.

    Cribbs. Really seems to be blossoming. His hands set up technically "well" to receive the ball and look soft. He's a defensive nightmare after the catch as he's simply too physically strong for most corners. Like what I'm seeing there. Oh yeah, he had a world class kickoff return too. Note to Mangini: renegotiate this guy's contract now.

    QB's. Quinn's won the competition. After the initial missed throw, he went 7 of his next 8 with his one miss being an intentional incompletion through the bak of the endzone. How about the audible into the pass for the TD to BE? Great to see.. 11 of 15 for 121 yards and a TD posting a 121 rating. That said, we have the best backup in the NFL in DA. I love him in rhthym. I don't love him when the play doesn't come over the radio (delay of game). I just don't think his arm is enough, especially with Quinn playing well.

    Summary: Passing game looked great. Run defense looked pretty good. Run offense and pass defense were bad. Special teams kicked arse and pretty much made the difference (blocked FG and fumble setting up the short field for a TD).

    Its almost football season gang!

    @greythan said:

    Mosley/Coleman. I'm not sure why the Jets let these guys go. Man, they are active. Its shocking to see what an active DE in the 3-4 can actually do: make tackles. Love what I've seen from both these guys all preseason and again tonight.

    The thing is that Mangini had them rotate at one spot in New York: Coleman as the run-stuffer, Mosley as the third down pass-rusher. That hurt Mosley, as the league apparently didn't see him as an every down 3-4 end. It looks like we got a huge bargain signing him to a 2 years, $5M deal.

    Coleman, on the other hand, just didn't fit as well in Rex Ryan's 3-4: he likes his guys to be more athletic and effective on all three downs. Once Ryan brought in one of his guys in Marques Douglas, Coleman became expendable. But he's a very good two down player in Mangini's system, as well as a solid character guy.

  • Great read Alo.

    You see pretty quickly that Coleman is a beast against the run, but quickly shuffled out in obvious passing downs. I'm GREAT with situational rush defenders playing in the AFC North. Its a fundamental need.

    Mosley is the surprise it sounds like from your read. Again, you can see he is a disruptive force in the pocket. I love that we're getting some of that from the "3" in the 3-4. (Note: Rubin gets some nice push/pressure against the pass as well!) I would never have guessed Mosely wasn't viewed as a good run defender based on what I've seen all preseason. I love the guy so far and agree with you: he's a bargain.

  • It's interesting how we've often had Veikune, Williams, and Mosley in there as our 3 on passing downs. I wonder who gets displaced when Rogers comes back.

  • BQ is use to smart passing for a living ND had no running game so it may not be as bad a year as you think even though a running game would be nice....😉

    Whats sad is our offensive line woes havent even began yet but will start shortly after the season opens...

    @gips said:

    BQ is use to smart passing for a living ND had no running game so it may not be as bad a year as you think even though a running game would be nice....😉

    Are you sure about that?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Walker

  • Not having been able to see the game I was wondering if James Davis had more success than Jamal. Is that the case? It seems like the right side of the line (and particularly Pork Chop) has been struggling mightily.

    The pass defense is a concern but I think that the whole back seven are lacking in overall speed and I think that's a big part of the problem.

    Anyone who saw the game....please advise.

  • middle of the field was wide open all night against a te like wislow were died

    damm davis still looks like a steal in the 6th round

  • Not having been able to see the game I was wondering if James Davis had more success than Jamal. Is that the case? It seems like the right side of the line (and particularly Pork Chop) has been struggling mightily.

    The pass defense is a concern but I think that the whole back seven are lacking in overall speed and I think that's a big part of the problem.

    Anyone who saw the game....please advise.

    @earl34 said:

    The pass defense is a concern but I think that the whole back seven are lacking in overall speed and I think that's a big part of the problem.

    Hopefully that'll change with Rogers back in there, making it a little easier to generate some pressure on the QB. The other thing to consider is that we're not going to show a lot of blitz packages in the preseason.

    If we are able to get some pressure on the QB once the real games start, our pass D will start looking a lot better.

  • Talking of Running Game, JAmes Davis looks consistent. I dounted him early during the detroit game assuming it was only the Lions defense and that too the secondary, but Davis did prove me wrong. He puts more effort when he finds the hole. I can see Jamal Lewis splitting more reps with JAmes DAvis and if Jerrome Harrison cannot get healthy on a consistent basis, then im afraid It is him who will need to be cut before J.Lewis.

    PS: Quinn wins the QB battle. DA is our backup. It is over.

  • Not having been able to see the game I was wondering if James Davis had more success than Jamal. Is that the case? It seems like the right side of the line (and particularly Pork Chop) has been struggling mightily.

    The pass defense is a concern but I think that the whole back seven are lacking in overall speed and I think that's a big part of the problem.

    Anyone who saw the game....please advise.

    @earl34 said:

    Not having been able to see the game I was wondering if James Davis had more success than Jamal. Is that the case? It seems like the right side of the line (and particularly Pork Chop) has been struggling mightily.

    The pass defense is a concern but I think that the whole back seven are lacking in overall speed and I think that's a big part of the problem.

    Anyone who saw the game....please advise.

    Actually, IMO Davis looked better then Lewis. Lewis still drags defenders but he isn't getting to the hole fast enough. He hit the holes quicker. Titans play that Ryan 46 defense which is hard to run against. You beat them by throwing short passes screens and quick slants which Quinn did well tonight.

    Womack looked pretty good. Actually the line did a decent job against that Titan front. The pass defense suffered from the Qb not having enough pressure on him. But, you have to remember this is preseason and teams hold back and show vanila fronts and coverages.

    I'm more concerned about the lack of speed of our LBs, covering TEs and RBs then I am about our DBs. Wimbley and Hall both did a nice job against the run and did get some pressure. Collins is a very savy QB and caught used the snap count well to figure out our coverages and blitzes. He caught us a couple times bringing a DB and hit the hot receiver.

    The Titans are a solid team and pulled most of their 1s at the end of the first half. We scored and played great in the 3rd quarter but we were playing most 1s against their 2s.

    All in all, a very solid game.

  • Actually I wasn't impressed with that right side at all. Hadnot/Tucker>>>Porkchop/St. Clair, IMO

  • Coleman and Mosely showed themselves well tonight as the run stopping DE's as they were advertised.

    The OLB still struggled with pressure minus a gimme Wimbley sack. This has been a issue for awhile and I guess, little surprise.

    The ILB's need to blitz more, which I think Veikune is being groomed for, but he is far off.

    The DB's need talent. Literally. Clear deficiency there along with OLB.

    We need Rogers back asap.

    The OL is bad. When Haddie comes back, he may start at LG. Hopefully with Mack making strides as the season goes along and the offensive players get comfortable with BQ, that they mesh into a decent unit. Clearly ahead of the defense in terms of personal sans the OG problem.

    @restinpeace said:

    Coleman and Mosely showed themselves well tonight as the run stopping DE's as they were advertised.

    The OLB still struggled with pressure minus a gimme Wimbley sack. This has been a issue for awhile and I guess, little surprise.

    The ILB's need to blitz more, which I think Veikune is being groomed for, but he is far off.

    The DB's need talent. Literally. Clear deficiency there along with OLB.

    We need Rogers back asap.

    The OL is bad. When Haddie comes back, he may start at LG. Hopefully with Mack making strides as the season goes along and the offensive players get comfortable with BQ, that they mesh into a decent unit. Clearly ahead of the defense in terms of personal sans the OG problem.

    Man, you don't have a clue..................................

    Coleman and Mosley were alternating. Mosley is the rush guy and Coleman is our run supporter, first and second down guy. R. Smith did a good job is run support tonight. Wimbley and Hall both did a nice job agaqinst the run. Veikune did a few good things but was basically a non factor. He's still thinking too much and not reacting. Williams got caught out of position and overpursued and they cut back on him a few times. Viekune played mostly outside tonight and has been playing outside most of the last two weeks. He spelled Hall. ILBs need to maintain their gap assignments more then they need to blitz. If they maintain gap integrity this team will be much better against the run. Rubin played well getting decent push and played the run well. He will be a very good backup to Rogers.

    Remember this is the preseason and teams don't show all their blitz packages or coverage schemes. I looks like Ryan will be much more agressive as a coordinator. He had the team in a 46 defense a few times tonight and I think we will see that more ofter because our DL may be our strength.

    Our first team DBs have talent and did a good job. You can't cover for as long as they are being asked to cover for because of no pressure. The team suffers from the lack of an impact player at safety, that's what needs addressed before you look at the corners. Our pressure can't come from corner and safety blitzes. If anybody looked bad tonight it was Hood. He seemed a step slow covering the slot guy. McDonald and Wright actually did a decent job. I don't believe we have yet to see what the nickle and dime packages will be. They have been using a lot of different combinations with Ivy, Hood and Poteat. Even Francies got some time in the nickle and dime packages tonight. He had a few nice plays and a few rookie mistakes. If anything, our ILBs are slow getting into their drops and are overrunning plays creating cutback lanes. Our OLBs actually played well tonight.

    The OL did a pretty decent job tonight against a very good Titan defensive team. Steinbach played very well except for one play where he got caught when they ran a stunt, other then that he played well. He was trying to probide help for the center and got caught. What you saw on a few plays that looked like linemen getting beat and QB pressure are called screen passes when they let the DTs in and they pull to set up the screen, which Steinbach did well tonight. He got out in front of the screens well and cleared some ground. Womack also got out in some nice screens and created some nice openings for the backs.

    If Haddie comes back, he will be a backup for both guards and backup at center. Mack played a very solid game tonight. He is getting better every game. The guard problems you refer to were one the teams strength tonight. Womack and Steinbach played very well against one of the best defensive fronts in the NFL. Nobody runs between the guards against the Titans. Not because their guards are't getting the job done, but because they have too many guys in the middle to block (ILB and safety in the box and OLBs pinching in). The Browns attacked them the right way. Screens, slants and quick outs off of play action.

    Maybe you need to watch the replay or have someone explain to you what you are watching........................LOL

  • Davis looked great and hopefully can grasp the starting role by mid season.

    Maiava is a special team beast and looks like he's going to turn into a solid backup at worst.

    Bell looked like crap and his one special team tackle didn't have much "pop" to it. I think we're finding our "odd man out" at LB.

    Quinn looked good, performed well and probably nailed the starting job.

    DA started strong, got rattled off of a near pick and got yanked before we could see if he could overcome or not.

    Edwards is starting to look like a real #1.

    Cribbs is looking damn fine as a WR and I pray he splits offensive reps with MoMass at #2 so he can keep up the excellent work on special teams.

    I had high hopes for Veikune but nothing real impressive yet.

    Ahtyba Rubin is really looking good at NT, he's not superstar but he's solid.

    Mike Furrey was a FA steal. We have our Wes Walker and he's going to be a hell of an underneath target. He has a good presence of mind and seems to know where to go to get what we need.

    Alex Hall, looking better than last year by leaps and bounds but still not there yet, I predict he's going to be a starter by next season.

    Kamerion Wimbley is getting closer to the qb but still not getting there fast enough to be a real threat as a passrusher. I'm still ticked we didn't take Ngata over this chump.

    Did Sorensen try dryhumping that guy on his tackle? Still pretty damn unimpressive.

    Mack > Fraley, hands down. Mack is still a little rough around the edges but I think he'll be serviceable this year and mature into a pretty good center by next season.

    I'm sure Ryan Tucker is toast.

    What the hell is up with Shaun Rogers? No practices or preseason games? Is he hurt, PO'ed over his buddy Smith getting axed and refusing to do squat or the staff feels he doen't need to prove himself out there and want to give more reps to the other guys to better evaluate them?

    Is it just me or did it look like Hood was giving too much cushion in coverage? I think we might be seeing why the Cards let him walk.

    The oline looked better, good job on the left, Mack was solid but I'm still a bit worried about the right side. We can't get some young guys in here to groom fast enough in my opinion considering we're still an injury or two away from disaster again.

  • Man does Trent Dilfer have a vendetta or what? He STILL says DA has the edge. Can't wait til BQ is announced the starter and Dilfer goes off on management again.