On the Bubble
-
YBB, I agree with your assessments. Thank you. That's generally where the cuts will be made.
I was wondering if you (or anyone else) knows the rules for putting guys on the practice squad. I presume they're protected from waivers going to the practice squad. How many can you put on there? I presume that they can come off the PS if there's an injury.
-
mikeyP72 said:
Too bad, if we dont keep Norwood Im sure someone else will pick him up. I agree about Maiva from what Ive heard, Im basically just going off clips and heresay so I appreciate all the insight.What is the deal with Rucker, is it he is not performing or not getting the chance to perform??
We dont get Browns games in the Pacific Ocean. AFN (Armed Forces Network) hates the Browns for some reason, I guess we dont have a big worldwide fan base?
I know what you mean about AFN/AFRTS hating the Browns! I was on cruise in '07 on the USS Enterprise and the only game they showed was of course a loss to the damn Squeelers.
-
YBB, I agree with your assessments. Thank you. That's generally where the cuts will be made.
I was wondering if you (or anyone else) knows the rules for putting guys on the practice squad. I presume they're protected from waivers going to the practice squad. How many can you put on there? I presume that they can come off the PS if there's an injury.
YBB, I agree with your assessments. Thank you. That's generally where the cuts will be made.
I was wondering if you (or anyone else) knows the rules for putting guys on the practice squad. I presume they're protected from waivers going to the practice squad. How many can you put on there? I presume that they can come off the PS if there's an injury.
Players are NOT protected from waivers when going to the practice squad. Clubs can place up to eight (8) players on the Practice Squad, plus the league may elect to allow some or all Clubs to add one additional player "whose citizenship and principal place of residence are outside of the United States and its Territories ("International Player")." The Browns had one of these "International Players" in...i think...2008? 2007?
Anyways, in a nutshell...
Players must clear waivers before being signed to the Practice Squad (PS), which gives other Clubs a chance to claim the player, along with the player's existing contract. Once they clear waivers, they can be signed to the Practice Squad under a new contract (the minimum contract for a PS player is $5200 per week). Even so, the player has free agent status while on the Practice Squad and can sign onto the 53 Player Active/Inactive List of any Club, with no compensation to the player's original Club.
Practice Squad players cannot sign directly onto the Practice Squad of another Club. Once signed to a 53 Player Active/Inactive List, they must stay on the 53 for the duration of the season or be released, at which point they may once again sign onto a Practice Squad, unless they have an "Accrued Season" on the 53 Player Active/Inactive List, which is another definition in itself that I won't get into in this post.
(Source: Article XXXIV of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement: Practice Squads)
*.pdf file
http://www.nflplayers.com/images/fck/NFL%2...%20-%202012.pdf
*.pdf file
Article XXXIV starts on page 170 of the CBA, but starts at page 186 of the *.pdf file.
-Al
-
Here's my take:
Cuts: Bell, Leggett, Hubbard, Patten, Williams
Will make it: Tucker, Fraley, Norwood, Rucker
Cribbs' emergence makes Hubbard, Leggett, and Patten goners. Beau Bell is not versatile enough to last with this team and Williams has been non-existent this year.
Tucker and Fraley can line up at two/three different spots on the O-line which makes them very valuable. Norwood has some returning ability and it's too early to pull the plug on Rucker.
-
mikeyP72 said:
Too bad, if we dont keep Norwood Im sure someone else will pick him up. I agree about Maiva from what Ive heard, Im basically just going off clips and heresay so I appreciate all the insight.What is the deal with Rucker, is it he is not performing or not getting the chance to perform??
We dont get Browns games in the Pacific Ocean. AFN (Armed Forces Network) hates the Browns for some reason, I guess we dont have a big worldwide fan base?
I know what you mean about AFN/AFRTS hating the Browns! I was on cruise in '07 on the USS Enterprise and the only game they showed was of course a loss to the damn Squeelers.
I was on the USS Enterprise
They can teleport, surely they can tune in a Browns game.
-
Here's my take:
Cuts: Bell, Leggett, Hubbard, Patten, Williams
Will make it: Tucker, Fraley, Norwood, Rucker
Cribbs' emergence makes Hubbard, Leggett, and Patten goners. Beau Bell is not versatile enough to last with this team and Williams has been non-existent this year.
Tucker and Fraley can line up at two/three different spots on the O-line which makes them very valuable. Norwood has some returning ability and it's too early to pull the plug on Rucker.
Will make it: Tucker, Fraley, Norwood, Rucker
I agree. But I didn't think Rucker was on the Bubble.
-
Will make it: Tucker, Fraley, Norwood, Rucker
I agree. But I didn't think Rucker was on the Bubble.
I agree. But I didn't think Rucker was on the Bubble.
I don't either. I'm just responding to what the thread starter implied. Actually, he's been baffling to say the least. Is it an effort thing, a mental thing, or a talent thing, or a combination of these with this guy? From my view, he's been very disappointing.
-
I agree. But I didn't think Rucker was on the Bubble.
I don't either. I'm just responding to what the thread starter implied. Actually, he's been baffling to say the least. Is it an effort thing, a mental thing, or a talent thing, or a combination of these with this guy? From my view, he's been very disappointing.
I don't either. I'm just responding to what the thread starter implied. Actually, he's been baffling to say the least. Is it an effort thing, a mental thing, or a talent thing, or a combination of these with this guy? From my view, he's been very disappointing.
He was hurt. From what I saw from him last season he was good.
-
I don't either. I'm just responding to what the thread starter implied. Actually, he's been baffling to say the least. Is it an effort thing, a mental thing, or a talent thing, or a combination of these with this guy? From my view, he's been very disappointing.
He was hurt. From what I saw from him last season he was good.
He was hurt. From what I saw from him last season he was good.
Yeah, last season he was hurt. Where is he THIS year? Nowhere to be found.
Hell, Robaire Smith is coming off an Achilles tear and is playing like it never happened.
-
I think Hubbard is going to make it, out of all our WR's trying to make that last spot, he's the ONLY on who got PT in game 3 (last night) and he's the only one who made a catch, and actually he's accumulated a few catches this pre season, the WR depth chart to me is lookin like this:
1.Edwards
2.Cribbs
3.Furrey
4.Massoqua
5.Robiskie
6.Hubbard
Plus you have to realize that Monkok knows that theres NO way Hubbard clears waivers again
-
Here's a few guys I think are on the outside looking in. Bubble guys that barring injury are headed for the paratice squad or out the door.
Other then the obvious guys that are just training camp players;
Hubbard and Leggett might be fighting with Patton for the last receiver spot and one will end up on the practice squad. I think Norwood just didn't do enough to make the team or practice squad.
Jennings is big and quick, he could find a spot on the practice squad and I think Herron just didn't do enough.
Adam Hoppel could land a spot on the practice squad. I think he can develop into a decent NT.
Titus Brown will most likely make the team but he needs to get back on the field.
Leon williams or Beau Bell or maybe both could be sent packing. Maiava played well at ILB tonight and should work in behind Barton and Jackson. Veikune and Bowens can also play inside. I did see Williams playing OLB tonight and that and special teams may save him.
and, what do you do with Rucker.................... He has been invisable this camp and preseason. I think Walker has outplayed him. He has been playing some FB and Hback so it could mean Ali is in trouble.
Some veterans I see in trouble are Sowells, Fraley, Tucker, Poteat, Abdullah, Sorenson, Ali and Patton. Because of Pool I guess you may have to keep Sorrenson, but we are thin there. Poteat has looked as good at safety as any of them though. I wanted to see some of Tra Battle tonight at safety.
I do think Tucker makes the team if he wants to....................that may be up in the air.
Just some thoughts.......................................
I think they look at the cuts for safety and tackle help.
Leon williams or Beau Bell or maybe both could be sent packing. Maiava played well at ILB tonight and should work in behind Barton and Jackson. Veikune and Bowens can also play inside. I did see Williams playing OLB tonight and that and special teams may save him.
Bell's inability to play in space was exposed last night. He did get some reps with the 1st defense but only in short yardage situations.
Like you, I think he's on the outside looking in.
@ytownbrownsbacker said:
Some veterans I see in trouble are Sowells, Fraley, Tucker, Poteat, Abdullah, Sorenson, Ali and Patton. Because of Pool I guess you may have to keep Sorrenson, but we are thin there. Poteat has looked as good at safety as any of them though. I wanted to see some of Tra Battle tonight at safety.Yeah, I think Pool's injury helps Poteat, not Sorenson. Last year, Mangini occasionally played Elam closer to the line, instead having Poteat play back in the secondary. And Grossi reported last week that Hank was practicing at safety in the dime.
He could be our 4th safety. The only concern would be that we don't have a real backup strong safety; hopefully, we can pick up one on waivers.
-
Leon williams or Beau Bell or maybe both could be sent packing. Maiava played well at ILB tonight and should work in behind Barton and Jackson. Veikune and Bowens can also play inside. I did see Williams playing OLB tonight and that and special teams may save him.
Bell's inability to play in space was exposed last night. He did get some reps with the 1st defense but only in short yardage situations.
Like you, I think he's on the outside looking in.
@ytownbrownsbacker said:
Some veterans I see in trouble are Sowells, Fraley, Tucker, Poteat, Abdullah, Sorenson, Ali and Patton. Because of Pool I guess you may have to keep Sorrenson, but we are thin there. Poteat has looked as good at safety as any of them though. I wanted to see some of Tra Battle tonight at safety.Yeah, I think Pool's injury helps Poteat, not Sorenson. Last year, Mangini occasionally played Elam closer to the line, instead having Poteat play back in the secondary. And Grossi reported last week that Hank was practicing at safety in the dime.
He could be our 4th safety. The only concern would be that we don't have a real backup strong safety; hopefully, we can pick up one on waivers.
Aloysius said:
Bell's inability to play in space was exposed last night. He did get some reps with the 1st defense but only in short yardage situations.In Pluto's article he talks about how big he is on Special Teams. I think he makes it on teams alone. Him and that McCune
-
I think Hubbard is going to make it, out of all our WR's trying to make that last spot, he's the ONLY on who got PT in game 3 (last night) and he's the only one who made a catch, and actually he's accumulated a few catches this pre season, the WR depth chart to me is lookin like this:
1.Edwards
2.Cribbs
3.Furrey
4.Massoqua
5.Robiskie
6.Hubbard
Plus you have to realize that Monkok knows that theres NO way Hubbard clears waivers again
I think Hubbard is going to make it, out of all our WR's trying to make that last spot, he's the ONLY on who got PT in game 3 (last night) and he's the only one who made a catch, and actually he's accumulated a few catches this pre season, the WR depth chart to me is lookin like this:
1.Edwards
2.Cribbs
3.Furrey
4.Massoqua
5.Robiskie
6.Hubbard
Plus you have to realize that Monkok knows that theres NO way Hubbard clears waivers again
Much rather have leggett as the sixth receiver....over hubbard , patten and norwood,
Think Sowells is gone but his versatility may just make him keepable... I think we will be in surprise mode when the cuts come down.
I love the depth and talent of our D-line, Coleman,Moseley,C.Williams, R. Smith, Rogers make a very nice rotation
-
Leon williams or Beau Bell or maybe both could be sent packing. Maiava played well at ILB tonight and should work in behind Barton and Jackson. Veikune and Bowens can also play inside. I did see Williams playing OLB tonight and that and special teams may save him.
Bell's inability to play in space was exposed last night. He did get some reps with the 1st defense but only in short yardage situations.
Like you, I think he's on the outside looking in.
@ytownbrownsbacker said:
Some veterans I see in trouble are Sowells, Fraley, Tucker, Poteat, Abdullah, Sorenson, Ali and Patton. Because of Pool I guess you may have to keep Sorrenson, but we are thin there. Poteat has looked as good at safety as any of them though. I wanted to see some of Tra Battle tonight at safety.Yeah, I think Pool's injury helps Poteat, not Sorenson. Last year, Mangini occasionally played Elam closer to the line, instead having Poteat play back in the secondary. And Grossi reported last week that Hank was practicing at safety in the dime.
He could be our 4th safety. The only concern would be that we don't have a real backup strong safety; hopefully, we can pick up one on waivers.
Aloysius said:
Bell's inability to play in space was exposed last night. He did get some reps with the 1st defense but only in short yardage situations.Like you, I think he's on the outside looking in.
Yeah, I think Pool's injury helps Poteat, not Sorenson. Last year, Mangini occasionally played Elam closer to the line, instead having Poteat play back in the secondary. And Grossi reported last week that Hank was practicing at safety in the dime.
He could be our 4th safety. The only concern would be that we don't have a real backup strong safety; hopefully, we can pick up one on waivers.
It is known Bell has L.D. , which hurts him bad...but I would really like to keep him around because he's the only LB I've seen, in the middle ,that Attacks At THE L.O.S...and brings it! He's a punisher.
-
Seems like most think it's Hubbard or Leggett. IMO Leggett has had a great camp and may have passed Hubbard. I would think it is pretty much a toss up.
I don't get the love for Bell. I know he is a hard hitter at the point of attack, but he is lost in space and runs himself out of plays. If he is kept it will be because of special teams not his LB play. He clearly has been outplayed by Maiava, Veikune and even Williams at LB. If it's based on special teams only, Blake Constanza is a beast, but not much of a LB.
I think the OL cuts will be based around Tucker. I really don't know if he is hurt or if he just doesn't want to play. I don't think this is the coaching staff that is going to beg him to stay and play. Without him they need tackle backup and the only tackle backup I see is Steinbach. I think they only keep 9 OL and pick one up for the practice squad.
Personally, I don't see any of the mentioned players as guys that will help this team now. so, I keep the younger players with upside. So I would look more toward keeping guys like Lockett or Lawson over Poteat or Sorenson. I like Leggett and Hubbard over a David Patton. I like Quarterman over an aging Fraley or Weary. But Bell.................I just don't think he is athletic enough. there's more to bing a ILB in the 3-4 then being able to hit someone. first you have to be in position to hit someone. Besides we drafted two rookies that have outplayed him at LB and on special teams.
I certainly wouldn't give up on Rucker but he was clearly outplayed by Walker this camp. I'd have to look at Heiden and make sure he can get back to 100% and maintain his health for more then just a few games. Can this team count on Heiden to stay relatively healthy and be productive. I guess the same question has to be asked about Tucker.
-
Seems like most think it's Hubbard or Leggett. IMO Leggett has had a great camp and may have passed Hubbard. I would think it is pretty much a toss up.
I don't get the love for Bell. I know he is a hard hitter at the point of attack, but he is lost in space and runs himself out of plays. If he is kept it will be because of special teams not his LB play. He clearly has been outplayed by Maiava, Veikune and even Williams at LB. If it's based on special teams only, Blake Constanza is a beast, but not much of a LB.
I think the OL cuts will be based around Tucker. I really don't know if he is hurt or if he just doesn't want to play. I don't think this is the coaching staff that is going to beg him to stay and play. Without him they need tackle backup and the only tackle backup I see is Steinbach. I think they only keep 9 OL and pick one up for the practice squad.
Personally, I don't see any of the mentioned players as guys that will help this team now. so, I keep the younger players with upside. So I would look more toward keeping guys like Lockett or Lawson over Poteat or Sorenson. I like Leggett and Hubbard over a David Patton. I like Quarterman over an aging Fraley or Weary. But Bell.................I just don't think he is athletic enough. there's more to bing a ILB in the 3-4 then being able to hit someone. first you have to be in position to hit someone. Besides we drafted two rookies that have outplayed him at LB and on special teams.
I certainly wouldn't give up on Rucker but he was clearly outplayed by Walker this camp. I'd have to look at Heiden and make sure he can get back to 100% and maintain his health for more then just a few games. Can this team count on Heiden to stay relatively healthy and be productive. I guess the same question has to be asked about Tucker.
Seems like most think it's Hubbard or Leggett. IMO Leggett has had a great camp and may have passed Hubbard. I would think it is pretty much a toss up.
I don't get the love for Bell. I know he is a hard hitter at the point of attack, but he is lost in space and runs himself out of plays. If he is kept it will be because of special teams not his LB play. He clearly has been outplayed by Maiava, Veikune and even Williams at LB. If it's based on special teams only, Blake Constanza is a beast, but not much of a LB.
I think the OL cuts will be based around Tucker. I really don't know if he is hurt or if he just doesn't want to play. I don't think this is the coaching staff that is going to beg him to stay and play. Without him they need tackle backup and the only tackle backup I see is Steinbach and maybe Womack, but that disrupts the entire line. So, maybe Sowells make it unless they find a waiver guy when other teams cut.
Personally, I don't see any of the mentioned players as guys that will help this team now. so, I keep the younger players with upside. So I would look more toward keeping guys like Lockett or Lawson over Poteat or Sorenson. I like Leggett and Hubbard over a David Patton. I like Quarterman over an aging Fraley or Weary. But Bell.................I just don't think he is athletic enough. there's more to bing a ILB in the 3-4 then being able to hit someone. first you have to be in position to hit someone. Besides we drafted two rookies that have outplayed him at LB and on special teams.
I certainly wouldn't give up on Rucker but he was clearly outplayed by Walker this camp. I'd have to look at Heiden and make sure he can get back to 100% and maintain his health for more then just a few games. Can this team count on Heiden to stay relatively healthy and be productive. I guess the same question has to be asked about Tucker.
I will be an interesting week.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login