Skip to content

★ NFL WEEK 7 ★  News and notes,  Denver +3.5 at Cleveland on a THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL special !

The Browns Board
60 17 2.8k 1
  • @orion said:

    I felt there was a descent chance that D'E would be gone.  But quite obviously they did not feel that Felton was a RB at all.  Through 6 games he has yet to have a rushing attempt and has 8 receptions.  So, although he's listed as a RB, he hasn't been one....and the only other RB is D'E....and the FB Stanton.  No RB on the practice squad.  Are we standing pat with that?

    Kelly is activated I believe we saw him in preseason quite a bit when we rested starters. Not a speed guy but will run through a tackle 

    Felton isn’t on Johnson’s level when it comes to pounding the rock in our scheme. He was a toss right toss left and a pass catching back at UCLA and a very good Kickoff return specialist…looks like the case here too but he’s obviously elevated his game too. 
     

    The Broncos are missing all of their LBs it’s time to use the three headed TE monster

    hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The Broncos are missing all of their LBs it’s time to use the three headed TE monster

    Hope Kev just dinks and dunks the shit out of these guys...

  • Zombo said:

    Hell no.

    All Hands on Deck.

    They get a nice 10 day break for the next game.

    Everybody needs to come together to win this football game and right the ship.

    Z

    Agree we are entering must win territory and our QB and Defense are too inconsistent to rely on any games down the road being easier. If they aren’t doing so now  i think Woods and the Secondary should be going on the second day of an all nighter watching film and figuring out assignments.  The excuse last year they weren’t fast enough or good enough - what is this year?

    It becomes a hurt or injured question too.  We have some guys that play hurt and others sit out after 8 plays in a game.  Others play hard and fast and need to get carried off the field before they will leave.  
     

    The only glaring personnel issue I see is Hudson playing now. I may have called in a street free agent Sunday night.  He’s a clear liability and it is impacting the play calls.  Other than that our backups are more than capable to account for the guys out with an actual injury. 

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Agree we are entering must win territory and our QB and Defense are too inconsistent to rely on any games down the road being easier. If they aren’t doing so now  i think Woods and the Secondary should be going on the second day of an all nighter watching film and figuring out assignments.  The excuse last year they weren’t fast enough or good enough - what is this year?

    It becomes a hurt or injured question too.  We have some guys that play hurt and others sit out after 8 plays in a game.  Others play hard and fast and need to get carried off the field before they will leave.  
     

    The only glaring personnel issue I see is Hudson playing now. I may have called in a street free agent Sunday night.  He’s a clear liability and it is impacting the play calls.  Other than that our backups are more than capable to account for the guys out with an actual injury. 

    IMO must win doesn’t mean we have to play Mayfield. I’m his current condition as well others must win might be better handled by backups against Denver. 

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #18

    How do we not start case keenum??   Baker is not well.  

  • How do we not start case keenum??   Baker is not well.  

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @kvoethe said:

    How do we not start case keenum??   Baker is not well.  

    I would not be shocked to see just that Thursday night.  Guaranteed he takes snaps with the A team........ whoever that might be.  

  • How do we not start case keenum??   Baker is not well.  

    hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @kvoethe said:

    How do we not start case keenum??   Baker is not well.  

    If Stefanski doesn't, how bad does Case have to look in practice?? 

    Baker is like the black knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail...... "Tis but a scratch!"

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Hey guys it's only WEEK 7 of 17 and the American ? Conference looks wide freakin open !

    Do you see what I see,  three division games right up to a WEEK 12 MNF game vs the black ? birds and then a nice bye week.

    Are you ready for some football ?      GO BROWNS !

    Screenshot_2021-10-19_212901.jpg

  • @orion said:

    I felt there was a descent chance that D'E would be gone.  But quite obviously they did not feel that Felton was a RB at all.  Through 6 games he has yet to have a rushing attempt and has 8 receptions.  So, although he's listed as a RB, he hasn't been one....and the only other RB is D'E....and the FB Stanton.  No RB on the practice squad.  Are we standing pat with that?

    Kelly is activated I believe we saw him in preseason quite a bit when we rested starters. Not a speed guy but will run through a tackle 

    Felton isn’t on Johnson’s level when it comes to pounding the rock in our scheme. He was a toss right toss left and a pass catching back at UCLA and a very good Kickoff return specialist…looks like the case here too but he’s obviously elevated his game too. 
     

    The Broncos are missing all of their LBs it’s time to use the three headed TE monster

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Kelly is activated I

    Ahh, thanks.  I didn't see him on the depth chart...but he's on the roster.  He wasn't half bad in the preseason.  He was usually playing with a terrible offensive line...so...nothing new to him.  🙂

  • How do we not start case keenum??   Baker is not well.  

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @kvoethe said:

    How do we not start case keenum??   Baker is not well.  

    I get it, I really do. Coach REALLY likes Baker Mayfield and so does the team. It's important to remember that Baker is the heart, soul, and leader of this team. His absence would be HUGE to our mental psyche and if he CAN play, he should play. My worry is that we can't PROTECT him, ya know? How many hits is he gonna take? They're going to blitz the CRAP out of us!  I can tell you this, we're going to be practicing screen passes to our RBs ALL week. On the second 4th down failed attempt, we had the PERFECT opportunity for a screen. Everyone knew they were coming. So frustrating. 

    Ughhhhhhh, I just don't know. 

  • @kvoethe said:

    How do we not start case keenum??   Baker is not well.  

    If Stefanski doesn't, how bad does Case have to look in practice?? 

    Baker is like the black knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail...... "Tis but a scratch!"

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @hx214 said:

    If Stefanski doesn't, how bad does Case have to look in practice?? 

    Baker is like the black knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail...... "Tis but a scratch!"

    Here the thing, if Baker can't throw the ball and  perform, he won't play. It's that simple. Coach knows what to look for will know if Baker can execute the offense. Baker said it's ultimately his decision on whether he'll play, but that's not the truth. The final decision will most certainly be on the coach. 

    This game will come down to defense and special teams, I promise you. Our offense will be EXTREMELY vanilla and the Denver defense is VERY talented. This will be all about field position, creating turnovers, and probably needing a defensive or special teams score to win. 

    What really hurts is we're not going to be able to run the ball again. Not just because Chubb and Hunt are out, but because we have the 4th and 5th string Tackles in the game AND Arizona conveniently demonstrated how to shut down the rushing attack. Most of you guys probably know this, but Arizona played many downs with a 6 man DL front. That's extremely difficult to run against for obvious reasons and it takes away our ability to run on 2nd and long. With Stefanski, our team has been at the top of the league in running efficiency on 2nd and long, but we can't do that against a 6 man front because 3rd and long is a death sentence. 

    We need to try and remember we have the coach of the year. This is where he'll make his money. We also have to EXECUTE on offense. For example, coach called a reverse to OBJ and Hunt forgot to pitch it. It would have been a 30 yard gain, minimum and possibly a TD. How did we screw that up? How did Harrison sprint away from Deondre effing Hopkins in the end zone? I don't get it. 

    Running will be difficult and we won't have time to throw, so what do you do? There's only so many screen passes and quick outs you can run. We'll have to move the pocket, risk a few bootlegs OCCASIONALLY, get the RBs and TEs involved early, and play SMART. Just one holding penalty can be the difference between winning and losing. THAT'S how thin the margins are when you're without your studs and people are hurt. 

    I'll say this...we HAVE to find a way to get ANY fumble. Any ball in the air HAS to be ours. Tackles MUST be made. That Hopkins TD where he had 3 people in front of him was an absolute embarrassment. Oh, and JOK is out. Create the turnovers, get off the field, and when those few opportunities present themselves on offense, we MUST connect. It's now or never, boys. Baker says our backs are against the wall and he likes our chances. Lets freaking do this. 

  • @orion said:

    I felt there was a descent chance that D'E would be gone.  But quite obviously they did not feel that Felton was a RB at all.  Through 6 games he has yet to have a rushing attempt and has 8 receptions.  So, although he's listed as a RB, he hasn't been one....and the only other RB is D'E....and the FB Stanton.  No RB on the practice squad.  Are we standing pat with that?

    Kelly is activated I believe we saw him in preseason quite a bit when we rested starters. Not a speed guy but will run through a tackle 

    Felton isn’t on Johnson’s level when it comes to pounding the rock in our scheme. He was a toss right toss left and a pass catching back at UCLA and a very good Kickoff return specialist…looks like the case here too but he’s obviously elevated his game too. 
     

    The Broncos are missing all of their LBs it’s time to use the three headed TE monster

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #25

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The Broncos are missing all of their LBs it’s time to use the three headed TE monster

    Um, not exactly- Von Miller is listed as a LB...  FWIW,,,,,   https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-olb-von-miller-facing-browns-tackles-kill-him-a-couple-sacks

    I'm not exactly confident our 3rd and 4th string RBs are up to the task of keeping Miller off of Baker.  

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    The Broncos are missing all of their LBs it’s time to use the three headed TE monster

    Um, not exactly- Von Miller is listed as a LB...  FWIW,,,,,   https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-olb-von-miller-facing-browns-tackles-kill-him-a-couple-sacks

    I'm not exactly confident our 3rd and 4th string RBs are up to the task of keeping Miller off of Baker.  

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #26

    @hoorta said:

    Um, not exactly- Von Miller is listed as a LB...  FWIW,,,,,   https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-olb-von-miller-facing-browns-tackles-kill-him-a-couple-sacks

    I'm not exactly confident our 3rd and 4th string RBs are up to the task of keeping Miller off of Baker.  

    Well they have three LBs out Two starters and another backup.  Von can’t blitz and cover everyone 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    The Broncos are missing all of their LBs it’s time to use the three headed TE monster

    Um, not exactly- Von Miller is listed as a LB...  FWIW,,,,,   https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-olb-von-miller-facing-browns-tackles-kill-him-a-couple-sacks

    I'm not exactly confident our 3rd and 4th string RBs are up to the task of keeping Miller off of Baker.  

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @hoorta said:

    Um, not exactly- Von Miller is listed as a LB...  FWIW,,,,,   https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-olb-von-miller-facing-browns-tackles-kill-him-a-couple-sacks

    I'm not exactly confident our 3rd and 4th string RBs are up to the task of keeping Miller off of Baker.  

    Off-ball linebackers* 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    The Broncos are missing all of their LBs it’s time to use the three headed TE monster

    Um, not exactly- Von Miller is listed as a LB...  FWIW,,,,,   https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-olb-von-miller-facing-browns-tackles-kill-him-a-couple-sacks

    I'm not exactly confident our 3rd and 4th string RBs are up to the task of keeping Miller off of Baker.  

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @hoorta said:

    Um, not exactly- Von Miller is listed as a LB...  FWIW,,,,,   https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-olb-von-miller-facing-browns-tackles-kill-him-a-couple-sacks

    I'm not exactly confident our 3rd and 4th string RBs are up to the task of keeping Miller off of Baker.  

    This is actually a good point. When you play backup RBs, you're getting less talent running the ball, but just as important is the reduced ability to pick up blitzes. Many assumed Hunt played on passing downs because he's a better receiver, and that's true, but the biggest reason for Hunt's presence is his stellar ability to lay the wood on blitzing rushers. He's ferocious. 

    We have a QB who can't get hit, backup Tackles, and RBs not used to playing much. It's not ideal. Our defense played a couple really good games this year. We need another one or our season is in jeopardy. 

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #29

    Zombo said:

    I see Myles held a players only defensive meeting, and Baker didn't think about sitting for a minute.

    These are the things leaders do.

    This is how good teams become championship teams ... by overcoming adversity together.

    You guys that want to play Keenum tommorrow are pussies. All of you.

    Z

     If he plays reasonably well, then so be it.  I choose to err on the side of caution in terms of not putting players out there that are dealing with issues which can harm the team. However if Baker has another 3 turnover game that buries any chance of a comeback or win and a potential lost defensive effort, then I'll also be accepting your apology for the insult.

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by jrb12711
    #30

    Zombo said:

    I see Myles held a players only defensive meeting, and Baker didn't think about sitting for a minute.

    These are the things leaders do.

    This is how good teams become championship teams ... by overcoming adversity together.

    You guys that want to play Keenum tommorrow are pussies. All of you.

    Z

    Well I guess that makes the Browns organization a bunch of pussies, huh?

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/qb-case-keenum-to-start-vs-broncos

    Z, sometimes the health of a human being matters and arguably the hardest thing a coach has to do is sit a dude for his own good. We all respect the shit out of Mayfield for plowing through a very non-insignificant injury. No one with a serious brain is saying Keenum is the answer. But this ain't the Super Bowl or even a pivotal "must win" late in the season. It had to happen and coach made the right decision, cause I know this wasn't Mayfield's call. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Um, not exactly- Von Miller is listed as a LB...  FWIW,,,,,   https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-olb-von-miller-facing-browns-tackles-kill-him-a-couple-sacks

    I'm not exactly confident our 3rd and 4th string RBs are up to the task of keeping Miller off of Baker.  

    This is actually a good point. When you play backup RBs, you're getting less talent running the ball, but just as important is the reduced ability to pick up blitzes. Many assumed Hunt played on passing downs because he's a better receiver, and that's true, but the biggest reason for Hunt's presence is his stellar ability to lay the wood on blitzing rushers. He's ferocious. 

    We have a QB who can't get hit, backup Tackles, and RBs not used to playing much. It's not ideal. Our defense played a couple really good games this year. We need another one or our season is in jeopardy. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #31

    @jiggins7919 said:

    This is actually a good point. When you play backup RBs, you're getting less talent running the ball, but just as important is the reduced ability to pick up blitzes. Many assumed Hunt played on passing downs because he's a better receiver, and that's true, but the biggest reason for Hunt's presence is his stellar ability to lay the wood on blitzing rushers. He's ferocious. 

    We have a QB who can't get hit, backup Tackles, and RBs not used to playing much. It's not ideal. Our defense played a couple really good games this year. We need another one or our season is in jeopardy. 

    In the times We’ve seen Derenst Johnson play I didn’t think blitz pick up was an issue.  

    But You are just going to see check down city with Keenum on third and longs.  

    You are going to see the horizontal pass game with Schwartz, Felton and OBJ (if he plays).  Especially on first down. Stef is going to want to be 2 and 5 or less and will hope to get 5 or more on these plays.

     I would challenge the middle linebackers with our TEs (the Broncos have a crisis there)

    We aren’t going to show Denver anything that they aren’t expecting.  We just have to execute well on offense on a short week

    Having said all this - the game is on the defense 

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #32

    I'm surprised that Johnson didn't see some snaps last Sunday. I don't get that. But a complete tear? When I had a complete tear of a rotator cuff, that is serious crap. Baker will have surgery whenever. I think Keenum will surprise people in the media. He can play, too.

        Everybody surely admires the hell out of Baker for hanging in there. Defenses have been keying on the running game, I think, and putting pressure on Baker to make the throws, especially after the first game after the injury when he was overthrowing. In my goofy opinion, running on first down so much helped defenses make stops at critical times. Maybe he plays the defense, to spring throws on them on first down, who knows. Seems to me, first down runs are getting stifled more often.

       Watching Tenn. beat the Bills - they were playing a lot of man to man? We have Greedy, Newsome and Ward, and we play a soft zone? and what is up with the miscommunications? Come on, we can NOT let bridgewater look like a star.

      The upside is, Landry is back, with OBJ out.  Throw to Schwartz more. It's time.

  • hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by hx214
    #33

    So I just saw Baker is out and Case is in. 

    The article I read showed Case's stats after he played in Minn in 2017..... this dude makes 7 million a year....

    God I hope he and Kev have something up their sleeve...

    Defense better wake the hell up.

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Zombo said:

    Baker's out. Coach's call. Let's kick ass Keenum!

    Z

    I'll let you guys look up Keenum's stats on Pro Football Reference. Overall, they scream journeyman career backup.  BUT- I hope we see the Vikings  Keenum who won 11 games, and had a 98 QBR on Thursday night.  There's a reason  Berry made him one of the highest paid backups in the NFL. 

    PS Regarding QBs I almost barfed when I saw some crack head suggesting we trade OBJ to the 49ers for Jimmy  Garrapolo. 

  • I'm surprised that Johnson didn't see some snaps last Sunday. I don't get that. But a complete tear? When I had a complete tear of a rotator cuff, that is serious crap. Baker will have surgery whenever. I think Keenum will surprise people in the media. He can play, too.

        Everybody surely admires the hell out of Baker for hanging in there. Defenses have been keying on the running game, I think, and putting pressure on Baker to make the throws, especially after the first game after the injury when he was overthrowing. In my goofy opinion, running on first down so much helped defenses make stops at critical times. Maybe he plays the defense, to spring throws on them on first down, who knows. Seems to me, first down runs are getting stifled more often.

       Watching Tenn. beat the Bills - they were playing a lot of man to man? We have Greedy, Newsome and Ward, and we play a soft zone? and what is up with the miscommunications? Come on, we can NOT let bridgewater look like a star.

      The upside is, Landry is back, with OBJ out.  Throw to Schwartz more. It's time.

    hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @calfoxwc said:

    Throw to Schwartz more. It's time.

    Outside of the KC game I haven't seen a thing from this kid.  

    Wish he'd stop bringing the damn ball out of the back of the endzone on kickoffs and making it to the 15 yard line.... (It would have been nice if he would have ran that damn slant route and not been a chicken shit about catching the ball in traffic too)