Skip to content

Wimbley's Sack Was Vrs Titans' Best Olineman

The Browns Board
28 13 1.7k
  • S Sez.EJ wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.. hahaha. Let's see that about 14 more times and I'll be convinced.

  • Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.. hahaha. Let's see that about 14 more times and I'll be convinced.

    B beefjerky wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @sez.ej said:

    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.. hahaha. Let's see that about 14 more times and I'll be convinced.

    there was only 6 players last season who got 14 or more sacks:

    DeMarcus Ware 20 sacks

    Jared Allen 15 sacks

    James Harrison 15 sacks

    Joey Porter 15 sacks

    John Abraham 14 sacks

    Julius Peppers 14 sacks

    so you need to lower your expectations a little bit..

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #5

    No he doesn't. It is more appropriate for others to raise theirs.

    Thank-you

  • DTBHD DTBH wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Especially for a guy who had 11 his rookie year and was a 13th pick (?) overall.

    It's not just about sack numbers either, it's about consistent pressure and disruption. Need consistency

  • B beefjerky wrote on last edited by beefjerky
    #7

    notice I said "a little bit" I think he's capable of racking up around 10-11 sacks, but anything more and you have wishful thinking, sure it could happen, but it probably won't.

  • Especially for a guy who had 11 his rookie year and was a 13th pick (?) overall.

    It's not just about sack numbers either, it's about consistent pressure and disruption. Need consistency

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @dtbh said:

    Especially for a guy who had 11 his rookie year and was a 13th pick (?) overall.

    It's not just about sack numbers either, it's about consistent pressure and disruption. Need consistency

    He had another pressure on VY that flushed him out of the pocket and unofrtunately drew a flag for face masking on VY. He was in the QB's face more than once. Therefore, I don't have a problem saying Wimbley brought it consistently yesterday.

    Believe it or not, D'Qwell Jackson is probably the LBer that wants to forget yesterday the most. On the series Collins led the scoring drive against us - Jackson had a bad series IMO. I just watched the game again for a second time and I caught him missing in action or missing tackles he should have made on the replays. And guess what LBer got beat for TD pass in the hook zone in the 2nd half? The 5th TE on Tenn named Mulligan easily beat D'Qwell and scored on the play because of it. How ironic is that? VY follows up his INT to Hall with TD pass to a guy named Mulligan.

    I realize it's only the preseason and all but I expect ILBers to play better when they're only being blocked by FBs instead of the big uglies playing OG. Jackson was one of my favorite draft picks at the time he was drafted in the round he was drafted in. Therefore, I'm VERY harsh when I critique him to the standards I expect from him. He gets the MOST love of all our LBers because of tackle frequency MORE than tackle locations. At this point in time, and this is only me - but I think Jackson is closer to Wali Rainer than he is Mike Johnson. When I see him consistently making stops near the line of scrimmage - I'll join the widespread love he has. We NEED this guy to come through for us especially with the upgrades on the Nose making life as easy as it can be for ILBers.

    - Tom F.

  • DTBHD DTBH wrote on last edited by
    #9

    I agree about Jackson. People don't like to hear the stuff about where the tackle is made on the field, but it's true. I still think he's a good, active linebacker however. He just needs a banger next to him.

    About Wimbley, wasn't saying that he wasn't inconsistent. I'm just adding that along with sack numbers, and even though he won't have sacks every game, I'd still like to see him be a force and not the guy who takes himself out of the play by running 15 yards around the tackle 9/10 times.

  • I agree about Jackson. People don't like to hear the stuff about where the tackle is made on the field, but it's true. I still think he's a good, active linebacker however. He just needs a banger next to him.

    About Wimbley, wasn't saying that he wasn't inconsistent. I'm just adding that along with sack numbers, and even though he won't have sacks every game, I'd still like to see him be a force and not the guy who takes himself out of the play by running 15 yards around the tackle 9/10 times.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @dtbh said:

    I agree about Jackson. People don't like to hear the stuff about where the tackle is made on the field, but it's true. I still think he's a good, active linebacker however. He just needs a banger next to him.

    About Wimbley, wasn't saying that he wasn't inconsistent. I'm just adding that along with sack numbers, and even though he won't have sacks every game, I'd still like to see him be a force and not the guy who takes himself out of the play by running 15 yards around the tackle 9/10 times.

    Good points!

    - Tom F.

  • @dtbh said:

    Especially for a guy who had 11 his rookie year and was a 13th pick (?) overall.

    It's not just about sack numbers either, it's about consistent pressure and disruption. Need consistency

    He had another pressure on VY that flushed him out of the pocket and unofrtunately drew a flag for face masking on VY. He was in the QB's face more than once. Therefore, I don't have a problem saying Wimbley brought it consistently yesterday.

    Believe it or not, D'Qwell Jackson is probably the LBer that wants to forget yesterday the most. On the series Collins led the scoring drive against us - Jackson had a bad series IMO. I just watched the game again for a second time and I caught him missing in action or missing tackles he should have made on the replays. And guess what LBer got beat for TD pass in the hook zone in the 2nd half? The 5th TE on Tenn named Mulligan easily beat D'Qwell and scored on the play because of it. How ironic is that? VY follows up his INT to Hall with TD pass to a guy named Mulligan.

    I realize it's only the preseason and all but I expect ILBers to play better when they're only being blocked by FBs instead of the big uglies playing OG. Jackson was one of my favorite draft picks at the time he was drafted in the round he was drafted in. Therefore, I'm VERY harsh when I critique him to the standards I expect from him. He gets the MOST love of all our LBers because of tackle frequency MORE than tackle locations. At this point in time, and this is only me - but I think Jackson is closer to Wali Rainer than he is Mike Johnson. When I see him consistently making stops near the line of scrimmage - I'll join the widespread love he has. We NEED this guy to come through for us especially with the upgrades on the Nose making life as easy as it can be for ILBers.

    - Tom F.

    ITHIKAI ITHIKA wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @flugel said:

    He had another pressure on VY that flushed him out of the pocket and unofrtunately drew a flag for face masking on VY. He was in the QB's face more than once. Therefore, I don't have a problem saying Wimbley brought it consistently yesterday.

    Believe it or not, D'Qwell Jackson is probably the LBer that wants to forget yesterday the most. On the series Collins led the scoring drive against us - Jackson had a bad series IMO. I just watched the game again for a second time and I caught him missing in action or missing tackles he should have made on the replays. And guess what LBer got beat for TD pass in the hook zone in the 2nd half? The 5th TE on Tenn named Mulligan easily beat D'Qwell and scored on the play because of it. How ironic is that? VY follows up his INT to Hall with TD pass to a guy named Mulligan.

    I realize it's only the preseason and all but I expect ILBers to play better when they're only being blocked by FBs instead of the big uglies playing OG. Jackson was one of my favorite draft picks at the time he was drafted in the round he was drafted in. Therefore, I'm VERY harsh when I critique him to the standards I expect from him. He gets the MOST love of all our LBers because of tackle frequency MORE than tackle locations. At this point in time, and this is only me - but I think Jackson is closer to Wali Rainer than he is Mike Johnson. When I see him consistently making stops near the line of scrimmage - I'll join the widespread love he has. We NEED this guy to come through for us especially with the upgrades on the Nose making life as easy as it can be for ILBers.

    - Tom F.

    Wether you think he made tackles downfield or not the guy still lead the NFL in tackles by a wide margin. The knock on Dqwell has and always will be his size for an ILB in the 3-4 D. What the guy lacks in size though he makes up for immensely in football IQ and instincts. Remember the Buff game last year he was pretty amazing. My thoughts on jackson are he'll never be an elite ILB but he will be a very good one for many years. JMHO..

  • @sez.ej said:

    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.. hahaha. Let's see that about 14 more times and I'll be convinced.

    there was only 6 players last season who got 14 or more sacks:

    DeMarcus Ware 20 sacks

    Jared Allen 15 sacks

    James Harrison 15 sacks

    Joey Porter 15 sacks

    John Abraham 14 sacks

    Julius Peppers 14 sacks

    so you need to lower your expectations a little bit..

    S Sez.EJ wrote on last edited by Sez.EJ
    #12

    @beefjerky said:

    there was only 6 players last season who got 14 or more sacks:

    DeMarcus Ware 20 sacks

    Jared Allen 15 sacks

    James Harrison 15 sacks

    Joey Porter 15 sacks

    John Abraham 14 sacks

    Julius Peppers 14 sacks

    so you need to lower your expectations a little bit..

    NO WAY.. Why shouldn't I expect him to be a top 10 sacker? (ok top 6 if you want to be technical about it) He's a #1 draft pick and was brought in here to SACK the qb.. That's the problem.. low expecations.. Screw that.. I'm not saying I would be mad with 10,11 or 12.. But why not 14? ..HUH?... Your punking him out already and the season hasn't even started. Your response repulses me.

  • R roach wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Jackson led the NFL in tackles. So what? Here's a news flash- when you make tackles 5 or 6 yards downfield, your defense is going to be on the field a long time. You will have many plays in which to pad that tackling stat.

    i'd rather have a top 5 defense where nobody leads the NFL in any particular personal stat.

  • ITHIKAI ITHIKA wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Lewis and Urlacher seem to be in the top ten every year but your right and doesn't mean anything lol.

  • Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.. hahaha. Let's see that about 14 more times and I'll be convinced.

    T Thomas5737 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @sez.ej said:

    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.. hahaha. Let's see that about 14 more times and I'll be convinced.

    I have little doubt that he will accomplish this. Maybe not this year, or even have all of them accumulated as a Brown... but he will get 14 more. 😛

  • Lewis and Urlacher seem to be in the top ten every year but your right and doesn't mean anything lol.

    T Tobalaz wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @ithika said:

    Lewis and Urlacher seem to be in the top ten every year but your right and doesn't mean anything lol.

    They also run in more aggressive defenses where the linemen stunt more frequently and gives them space to attack the line after their reads instead of being assigned to sit back and wait for someone to come to you.

  • C Captain Cheesedick wrote on last edited by
    #17

    and isn't he one of our starters?

  • Jackson led the NFL in tackles. So what? Here's a news flash- when you make tackles 5 or 6 yards downfield, your defense is going to be on the field a long time. You will have many plays in which to pad that tackling stat.

    i'd rather have a top 5 defense where nobody leads the NFL in any particular personal stat.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @roach said:

    Jackson led the NFL in tackles. So what? Here's a news flash- when you make tackles 5 or 6 yards downfield, your defense is going to be on the field a long time. You will have many plays in which to pad that tackling stat.

    i'd rather have a top 5 defense where nobody leads the NFL in any particular personal stat.

    I agree. The only two stats that interest me from a defensive standpoint is points allowed per game and turnovers.

    If your D stands near the top in those two categories, it has done it's part in putting the team in a position to win...then it is up to the O to score some points to fill in the other half of the puzzle.

  • ? TheJokersWILD wrote on last edited by
    #19

    bateman.JPG

    "It's Christmas morning and Santa's comin' down the chimney!"

  • @roach said:

    Jackson led the NFL in tackles. So what? Here's a news flash- when you make tackles 5 or 6 yards downfield, your defense is going to be on the field a long time. You will have many plays in which to pad that tackling stat.

    i'd rather have a top 5 defense where nobody leads the NFL in any particular personal stat.

    I agree. The only two stats that interest me from a defensive standpoint is points allowed per game and turnovers.

    If your D stands near the top in those two categories, it has done it's part in putting the team in a position to win...then it is up to the O to score some points to fill in the other half of the puzzle.

    ITHIKAI ITHIKA wrote on last edited by ITHIKA
    #20

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree. The only two stats that interest me from a defensive standpoint is points allowed per game and turnovers.

    If your D stands near the top in those two categories, it has done it's part in putting the team in a position to win...then it is up to the O to score some points to fill in the other half of the puzzle.

    Actually the Browns were third amongst all the NFL in takeaways last season. Guess who was 1st and 2nd, the Ravens and Bears with Lewis and Urlacher. Now telling me having a guy thats in the top ten in tackles is bad is just outlandish. If there's anything that has to do with Dqwell having a high tackle rate its that he has the best DT in all of football tying up blockers in front of him, not that he's making tackles 10 yards down the field or because the D is always on the field. Come on guys give this defense some credit? We all know the huge problem with this defense was one the scheme and two the fact we couldn't stop the run 28th in the league 151 rushing ypg. Against the pass we were substantially better ranked 14th in the NFL with 204 passing ypg. As well the Browns ranked 16th in PPG to with a modest 21.9 ppg. There is no reason this defense should not improve these numbers with a softer schedule and a much better defensive game plan. As far as Dqwell goes the guy is the real deal and you all will see that this season. Once again elite no, very good YES! I think I've made my point....

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Dont; get me wrong, i am not down on Jackson..I just don't pay much attention to his tackle numbers.

  • Jackson led the NFL in tackles. So what? Here's a news flash- when you make tackles 5 or 6 yards downfield, your defense is going to be on the field a long time. You will have many plays in which to pad that tackling stat.

    i'd rather have a top 5 defense where nobody leads the NFL in any particular personal stat.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #22

    @roach said:

    Jackson led the NFL in tackles. So what? Here's a news flash- when you make tackles 5 or 6 yards downfield, your defense is going to be on the field a long time. You will have many plays in which to pad that tackling stat.

    i'd rather have a top 5 defense where nobody leads the NFL in any particular personal stat.

    Good point Ed!

    Stats CAN be misleading sometimes or Wali Rainer would have had tenure here. When you're watching GOOD ILBers in this league - they're making the majority of their tackles near the line of scrimmage and they're rarely the bullseye of the opponent's game plans. And when we have good performance from the Nose tackle in front of them - it keeps BIG bodies off the LBers and makes their job much easier.

    2 years ago I had Ronnie Brown in fantasy football so I was paying particular attention to things like receptions. Miami's game plan vs Cleveland in their 1-15 season was to get Ronnie Brown passes in the hook zones. He finished the day with 9 receptions for 73 yards on top of a decent day running the ball. Anyway, Jackson made all 9 tackles where the avg gain was 8 yards. More specifically, he was the bullseye of the opponent's game plan. When they're coming right at him - he doesn't have to go out of his way to make the tackle. I'm not thinking he was enormously respected if they kept trying to get their best weapon on his hook zone.

    When a 5th string TE named Mulligan beats Jackson in that SAME hook zone for a TD and he was also lifeless against their starters on their TD drive - let's at least acknowledge he wasn't wonderful. That doesn't make you a BAD Browns' fan by any means. We ALL want Jackson to emerge into Mike Johnson but he doesn't have his impact yet and that's mainly because of WHERE he makes most of his tackles. That being the case, I think he's closer to Wali Rainer than he is Mike Johnson at this time. I want to put tobasco sauce on those words and eat them by mid season. Promise.

    - Tom F.