??⬜?Official Gameday Thread Browns at Patriots ?⬜??
-
That was disgusting and I can't believe our team played so poorly. I don't know where they go from here and it might be time to put money on Detroit.
-
That was disgusting and I can't believe our team played so poorly. I don't know where they go from here and it might be time to put money on Detroit.
That was disgusting and I can't believe our team played so poorly. I don't know where they go from here and it might be time to put money on Detroit.
Browns have the second hardest schedule in the NFL. We played a great franchise and got beat. Move on......
-
-
Good question and I’d say us.
Top to bottom we had what many talking heads called the best roster in the NFL. Looking back at last season we caught some breaks (even though COVID hit us harder than most teams) this year it has swung the other way.The Browns caught some breaks last year? News to me, and sorry I'm not trying to be an A hole.
They played pretty brilliantly offensively, and the D was banged up bad in the secondary IMHO. Yeah, they got blown out by the Ratbirds & Steelers, but Stefanski seemed to do a great job despite all the obstacles Covid created in the NFL.
Today was obviously horrendus. Not sure what that was about, kind of like last week, I never saw a beatdown of Cincy coming.
Stefanski & his staff need to hash it out. This team is schizoid.
The Browns caught some breaks last year? News to me, and sorry I'm not trying to be an A hole.
They played pretty brilliantly offensively, and the D was banged up bad in the secondary IMHO. Yeah, they got blown out by the Ratbirds & Steelers, but Stefanski seemed to do a great job despite all the obstacles Covid created in the NFL.
Today was obviously horrendus. Not sure what that was about, kind of like last week, I never saw a beatdown of Cincy coming.
Stefanski & his staff need to hash it out. This team is schizoid.
Schedule…we played the NFC East. We didn’t have any team in either Championship game on our schedule Bills, Chiefs, Bucs, or Packers.
we aren’t a good team…hence the inconsistencies.
what is really sad about all this if we had our $hit together this year like we seemingly had it together last year we can win the whole dang thing because the AFC is weak as hell and even some the juggernauts in the NFC are vulnerable. And If we can somehow make it to the the playoffs playing good football…who knows this year…but we’ve pissed away far too many games and hole may be too big to dig out of -
That was disgusting and I can't believe our team played so poorly. I don't know where they go from here and it might be time to put money on Detroit.
That was disgusting and I can't believe our team played so poorly. I don't know where they go from here and it might be time to put money on Detroit.
I've had this nagging feeling at times that this season is a lot like 2019.
Huge expectations coming into the season, mediocre start, every time it felt like they might be figuring something out, they'd implode.
-
Landry is definitely not feeling it. I don't think I've seen him catch a ball and not go for a give up slide in a while.
That leaves the offense with two 6th round picks and Scwartz, who I'm not believing for a second is as smart as the coach staff thinks he is.
Natson proved a few times why he is a practice squad guy.
WR is a real bad spot right now, and not having your two big guys at RB really hurts
Landry is definitely not feeling it. I don't think I've seen him catch a ball and not go for a give up slide in a while.
That leaves the offense with two 6th round picks and Scwartz, who I'm not believing for a second is as smart as the coach staff thinks he is.
Natson proved a few times why he is a practice squad guy.
WR is a real bad spot right now, and not having your two big guys at RB really hurts
Schwartz is not ready for this kind of action…he’s a bubble screen, deep crosser, end around…10 play a game type guy. That was kind of my expectation going into the year. He needs major work on route running and just general deep ball tracking. He needs a few offseasons with Professional WRs learning the tricks of the trade.
Landry is playing hurt.
Not calling you or anyone out specifically but I don’t know the fascination with Natson and he’s definitely not a WR.
Higgins is JAG material.
DPJ is a 2/3 type on a good team. But looks like we are expecting 1 type stuff from him now.
Felton has shown the most YAC ability of this group. He was out today and when he is available I think I’ve seen Schwartz get his opportunities- don’t understand why.
But Baker and OBJ have did this group in more than anything and when we split out Njoku, Bryant and Hooper you begin to see the coaching staffs confidence in this group.
-
OK here’s the game in a nutshell gang… Tell me if you’ve heard this one before
Front to back
Inside out
and at that intersection is what position? Yes that would be defensive tackle. Bill Abused ours today.
Are interior defense of line needs a little attention this off-season.OK here’s the game in a nutshell gang… Tell me if you’ve heard this one before
Front to back
Inside out
and at that intersection is what position? Yes that would be defensive tackle. Bill Abused ours today.
Are interior defense of line needs a little attention this off-season.Ogbah and Ogunjobi were inadequate on the inside... Unfortunately- they're playing good football for other teams.
Our not so stud defense was getting shredded right up the middle.... That's when Mac Jones wasn't throwing laser guided bombs into decent coverage.
& yeah- I'm getting tired of Garrett getting held on every damn play.
-
The more I think about the success of the first offensive drive, the madder I get that Stef went away from handing the ball to 30 on the next drives. Even at 14-7 there was no excuse to go away from what worked so well on the opening drive. Someone on this thread said 'panic' and thinking back that seems to be a fair accusation.
-
This team is so inconsistent, good luck trying to work out why and or how. I can't.
They can beat anyone but they can also be embarrassed, I still think we'll make the playoffs
-
This team is so inconsistent, good luck trying to work out why and or how. I can't.
They can beat anyone but they can also be embarrassed, I still think we'll make the playoffs
This team is so inconsistent, good luck trying to work out why and or how. I can't.
They can beat anyone but they can also be embarrassed, I still think we'll make the playoffs
By going 5-2 or 6-1 down the stretch?
Against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, twice against Baltimore and the Packers in Green Bay on Christmas Day?
I like your optimism, but that's a tall order.
-
This team is so inconsistent, good luck trying to work out why and or how. I can't.
They can beat anyone but they can also be embarrassed, I still think we'll make the playoffs
By going 5-2 or 6-1 down the stretch?
Against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, twice against Baltimore and the Packers in Green Bay on Christmas Day?
I like your optimism, but that's a tall order.
By going 5-2 or 6-1 down the stretch?
Against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, twice against Baltimore and the Packers in Green Bay on Christmas Day?
I like your optimism, but that's a tall order.
We will win that game in Pitt and Im not scared of Baltimore at all
Packers on xmas day is a sticking point
-
The Browns caught some breaks last year? News to me, and sorry I'm not trying to be an A hole.
They played pretty brilliantly offensively, and the D was banged up bad in the secondary IMHO. Yeah, they got blown out by the Ratbirds & Steelers, but Stefanski seemed to do a great job despite all the obstacles Covid created in the NFL.
Today was obviously horrendus. Not sure what that was about, kind of like last week, I never saw a beatdown of Cincy coming.
Stefanski & his staff need to hash it out. This team is schizoid.
Schedule…we played the NFC East. We didn’t have any team in either Championship game on our schedule Bills, Chiefs, Bucs, or Packers.
we aren’t a good team…hence the inconsistencies.
what is really sad about all this if we had our $hit together this year like we seemingly had it together last year we can win the whole dang thing because the AFC is weak as hell and even some the juggernauts in the NFC are vulnerable. And If we can somehow make it to the the playoffs playing good football…who knows this year…but we’ve pissed away far too many games and hole may be too big to dig out of
what is really sad about all this if we had our $hit together this year like we seemingly had it together last year we can win the whole dang thing because the AFC is weak as hell and even some the juggernauts in the NFC are vulnerable. And If we can somehow make it to the the playoffs playing good football…who knows this year…but we’ve pissed away far too many games and hole may be too big to dig out ofAgree, but after giving up 47 to the LAC, 45 today, 37 to the Cardinals sadly it doesn't look like a playoff team. Plus, the offense is sputtering for the most part.
If somehow they do get it together, it's going to have to be an AFC North title...like others have noted too many conference losses.
-
Baker has to have EVERYTHING go his way to succeed.
If his first read isn’t there, he’s in trouble.
He seems to panic when he has to start looking aroundI won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap.
@unsympathetic might be someone who could speak on this with more authority.
But a year ago, I would have doubted a team run by analytics-driven individuals like the Browns are would pony up big money on a RB (Chubb) and OGuards (Teller and Bitonio). Those positions generally aren't what guys like Berry, Depodesta, et al like to commit big money to, but they did.
It makes me wonder if the reason they did this was because they know they are not going to offer Baker a huge contract. Oh, they'll probably try to extend him, but he isn't getting one of those huge QB contracts from the Browns. (I'm just speculating on this, as a result of Chubb, Teller and Bitonio getting extensions)
I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap.
@unsympathetic might be someone who could speak on this with more authority.
But a year ago, I would have doubted a team run by analytics-driven individuals like the Browns are would pony up big money on a RB (Chubb) and OGuards (Teller and Bitonio). Those positions generally aren't what guys like Berry, Depodesta, et al like to commit big money to, but they did.
It makes me wonder if the reason they did this was because they know they are not going to offer Baker a huge contract. Oh, they'll probably try to extend him, but he isn't getting one of those huge QB contracts from the Browns. (I'm just speculating on this, as a result of Chubb, Teller and Bitonio getting extensions)
I think the opposite. The teams that win Super Bowls don’t have the highest paid QB.
They get a QB that wins with a great team around him.
I’m no salary cap guy, but when did the highest Paid QB win a SB?Mahomes? But didn’t he get paid after winning?
-
I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap.
@unsympathetic might be someone who could speak on this with more authority.
But a year ago, I would have doubted a team run by analytics-driven individuals like the Browns are would pony up big money on a RB (Chubb) and OGuards (Teller and Bitonio). Those positions generally aren't what guys like Berry, Depodesta, et al like to commit big money to, but they did.
It makes me wonder if the reason they did this was because they know they are not going to offer Baker a huge contract. Oh, they'll probably try to extend him, but he isn't getting one of those huge QB contracts from the Browns. (I'm just speculating on this, as a result of Chubb, Teller and Bitonio getting extensions)
I think the opposite. The teams that win Super Bowls don’t have the highest paid QB.
They get a QB that wins with a great team around him.
I’m no salary cap guy, but when did the highest Paid QB win a SB?Mahomes? But didn’t he get paid after winning?
I think the opposite. The teams that win Super Bowls don’t have the highest paid QB.
They get a QB that wins with a great team around him.
I’m no salary cap guy, but when did the highest Paid QB win a SB?Mahomes? But didn’t he get paid after winning?
I don't quite understand what you are saying...
I didn't say anything about anyone being the highest paid QB. I did say that my theory of why the Browns have spent a lot of money of guys playing positions I wouldn't have thought our front office would pay a lot of money to was because they know they will not pay Baker huge money. They will either sign him to a contract they feel comfortable with (hence why they paid Chubb, Teller and Bitonio) or they will look elsewhere for a QB.
-
I think the opposite. The teams that win Super Bowls don’t have the highest paid QB.
They get a QB that wins with a great team around him.
I’m no salary cap guy, but when did the highest Paid QB win a SB?Mahomes? But didn’t he get paid after winning?
I don't quite understand what you are saying...
I didn't say anything about anyone being the highest paid QB. I did say that my theory of why the Browns have spent a lot of money of guys playing positions I wouldn't have thought our front office would pay a lot of money to was because they know they will not pay Baker huge money. They will either sign him to a contract they feel comfortable with (hence why they paid Chubb, Teller and Bitonio) or they will look elsewhere for a QB.
I don't quite understand what you are saying...
I didn't say anything about anyone being the highest paid QB. I did say that my theory of why the Browns have spent a lot of money of guys playing positions I wouldn't have thought our front office would pay a lot of money to was because they know they will not pay Baker huge money. They will either sign him to a contract they feel comfortable with (hence why they paid Chubb, Teller and Bitonio) or they will look elsewhere for a QB.
I agree. Maybe I didn’t express it that way
This front office is trying to build a team around team first. They are trying to win with a bunch of Joe’s vs a few Bro’s.
Plus the salary cap is going to go up and up in the next 2-3 years. They keep signing guys in that window.
Are they setting this up for a QB free agent? It sure isn’t going to happen in the draft
-
-
Baker has to have EVERYTHING go his way to succeed.
If his first read isn’t there, he’s in trouble.
He seems to panic when he has to start looking aroundI won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap.
@unsympathetic might be someone who could speak on this with more authority.
But a year ago, I would have doubted a team run by analytics-driven individuals like the Browns are would pony up big money on a RB (Chubb) and OGuards (Teller and Bitonio). Those positions generally aren't what guys like Berry, Depodesta, et al like to commit big money to, but they did.
It makes me wonder if the reason they did this was because they know they are not going to offer Baker a huge contract. Oh, they'll probably try to extend him, but he isn't getting one of those huge QB contracts from the Browns. (I'm just speculating on this, as a result of Chubb, Teller and Bitonio getting extensions)
I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap
All analytics requires someone - "The Football Guys" - to determine what positions they want to focus on. Browns obviously decided one of theirs is OL.
The reason OL isn't usually an invested position isn't because everybody hates the OL.. it's because many GM's choose to accumulate salaries at WR/CB positions - where the avg salary is higher. But.. and there's always little-mentioned caveats.. If a player [let's call him Teller] is substantially better at his position than what you'll find at the average or even slightly above-average, that's where the resigning of an otherwise-ignored position would actually be determined to be worth it.
The other piece that hasn't been mentioned much after the moves last week is.. Landry is now the #1 salary on our roster by nearly 4M. I think we can all agree he hasn't played like that for over a season. I'd be shocked if they don't offer to restructure after the season - and then when he refuses they'll take the 1.5 dead on 2022 and cut him. Don't blame analytics for the hot take that 23 catches [includes today's 4] and no TD's in 10 games is not an effective way to spend 14.7M.. and next season he's 16.6 so we'll save 15.1 by cutting.
Note that Teller's 2022 will be only 4.8 so there's a season for a rental FA in 2022 before Teller's salary jumps to 15.8 in 2023.
Also: Yes, the salary cap is going up next season.. but we already have increases baked into current contracts [Johnson 3.7-7.7, Hooper 8-13, Clowney 3.6 dead, Mayfield 10-18] which take up that increase of 20. We're already starting to "mortgage the future" == take a look at Troy Hill, Clowney, and Hooper's contracts.. all of them have dead money on the cap of the year following their last year with us..
-
I don't quite understand what you are saying...
I didn't say anything about anyone being the highest paid QB. I did say that my theory of why the Browns have spent a lot of money of guys playing positions I wouldn't have thought our front office would pay a lot of money to was because they know they will not pay Baker huge money. They will either sign him to a contract they feel comfortable with (hence why they paid Chubb, Teller and Bitonio) or they will look elsewhere for a QB.
I agree. Maybe I didn’t express it that way
This front office is trying to build a team around team first. They are trying to win with a bunch of Joe’s vs a few Bro’s.
Plus the salary cap is going to go up and up in the next 2-3 years. They keep signing guys in that window.
Are they setting this up for a QB free agent? It sure isn’t going to happen in the draft
I agree. Maybe I didn’t express it that way
This front office is trying to build a team around team first. They are trying to win with a bunch of Joe’s vs a few Bro’s.
Plus the salary cap is going to go up and up in the next 2-3 years. They keep signing guys in that window.
Are they setting this up for a QB free agent? It sure isn’t going to happen in the draft
The salary cap stuff affects the 32 teams the same obviously. Since the NFL is kind of a "copycat league," the issues with it can create gambling in the front office.
Do you go the Seahawks way? They paid Russell Wilson so much $$ they lost their "legion of boom" D, and their O line has been subpar for awhile- just one example. Teams probably saw that, tried to be smarter.
Now you have the Rams, basically going "all in," kind of like the mid 90s where Carolina & Jax came into the league. The 2 franchises went two different roster directions, Jax did what you wrote regarding the Browns (paying a bunch of Joe's) while Carolina went all in. Carolina made the Super Bowl quick, but Jax was a contender longer back then.
This may be a homer take here, but I'm going to trust Andrew Berry on the salary cap stuff. Looks like he may copy the Steelers way ( hurts to write that lol)...Steelers don't seem to fret about losing star players and they remain a contender.
I'm just glad I'm not a GM. Being a Browns fan is stressful enough!!!
-
I agree. Maybe I didn’t express it that way
This front office is trying to build a team around team first. They are trying to win with a bunch of Joe’s vs a few Bro’s.
Plus the salary cap is going to go up and up in the next 2-3 years. They keep signing guys in that window.
Are they setting this up for a QB free agent? It sure isn’t going to happen in the draft
The salary cap stuff affects the 32 teams the same obviously. Since the NFL is kind of a "copycat league," the issues with it can create gambling in the front office.
Do you go the Seahawks way? They paid Russell Wilson so much $$ they lost their "legion of boom" D, and their O line has been subpar for awhile- just one example. Teams probably saw that, tried to be smarter.
Now you have the Rams, basically going "all in," kind of like the mid 90s where Carolina & Jax came into the league. The 2 franchises went two different roster directions, Jax did what you wrote regarding the Browns (paying a bunch of Joe's) while Carolina went all in. Carolina made the Super Bowl quick, but Jax was a contender longer back then.
This may be a homer take here, but I'm going to trust Andrew Berry on the salary cap stuff. Looks like he may copy the Steelers way ( hurts to write that lol)...Steelers don't seem to fret about losing star players and they remain a contender.
I'm just glad I'm not a GM. Being a Browns fan is stressful enough!!!
Do you go the Seahawks way? They paid Russell Wilson so much $$ they lost their "legion of boom" D
After Seahawks Super Bowl win vs Denver the Seahawks finally ran out of rollover cap from prior seasons - and had to make tough choices to be able to resign any LOB then-rookie-contract members along with Wilson. This is an archived article before their 2013 title season started.
It really wasn't the Wilson contract, it was the Houston-Texans-level of stupid spending before the Wilson contract which did them in. You may have heard they had the most expensive OL during that 2013 year.. along with the 6th worst OL performance..
-
Do you go the Seahawks way? They paid Russell Wilson so much $$ they lost their "legion of boom" D
After Seahawks Super Bowl win vs Denver the Seahawks finally ran out of rollover cap from prior seasons - and had to make tough choices to be able to resign any LOB then-rookie-contract members along with Wilson. This is an archived article before their 2013 title season started.
It really wasn't the Wilson contract, it was the Houston-Texans-level of stupid spending before the Wilson contract which did them in. You may have heard they had the most expensive OL during that 2013 year.. along with the 6th worst OL performance..
After Seahawks Super Bowl win vs Denver the Seahawks finally ran out of rollover cap from prior seasons - and had to make tough choices to be able to resign any LOB then-rookie-contract members along with Wilson. This is an archived article before their 2013 title season started.
It really wasn't the Wilson contract, it was the Houston-Texans-level of stupid spending before the Wilson contract which did them in. You may have heard they had the most expensive OL during that 2013 year.. along with the 6th worst OL performance..
Ok, didn't realize that.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login