Skip to content

??⬜?Official Gameday Thread Browns at Patriots ?⬜??

The Browns Board
324 36 8.1k 1
  • @bob806 said:

    The Browns caught some breaks last year? News to me, and sorry I'm not trying to be an A hole.

    They played pretty brilliantly offensively, and the D was banged up bad in the secondary IMHO. Yeah, they got blown out by the Ratbirds & Steelers, but Stefanski seemed to do a great job despite all the obstacles Covid created in the NFL. 

    Today was obviously horrendus. Not sure what that was about, kind of like last week, I never saw a beatdown of Cincy coming. 

    Stefanski & his staff need to hash it out. This team is schizoid.

    Schedule…we played the NFC East.  We didn’t have any team in either Championship game on our schedule Bills, Chiefs, Bucs, or Packers.  

    we aren’t a good team…hence the inconsistencies.  

    what is really sad about all this if we had our $hit together this year like we seemingly had it together last year we can win the whole dang thing because the AFC is weak as hell and even some the juggernauts in the NFC are vulnerable. And If we can somehow make it to the the playoffs playing good football…who knows this year…but we’ve pissed away far too many games and hole may be too big to dig out of

    @sdbacker80 said:



    what is really sad about all this if we had our $hit together this year like we seemingly had it together last year we can win the whole dang thing because the AFC is weak as hell and even some the juggernauts in the NFC are vulnerable. And If we can somehow make it to the the playoffs playing good football…who knows this year…but we’ve pissed away far too many games and hole may be too big to dig out of

    Agree, but after giving up 47 to the LAC, 45 today, 37 to the Cardinals sadly it doesn't look like a playoff team. Plus, the offense is sputtering for the most part. 

    If somehow they do get it together, it's going to have to be an AFC North title...like others have noted too many conference losses. 

  • @browns149 said:

    Baker has to have EVERYTHING go his way to succeed. 
    If his first read isn’t there, he’s in trouble. 
    He seems to panic when he has to start looking around

    I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap. 

    @unsympathetic might be someone who could speak on this with more authority.

    But a year ago, I would have doubted a team run by analytics-driven individuals like the Browns are would pony up big money on a RB (Chubb) and OGuards (Teller and Bitonio). Those positions generally aren't what guys like Berry, Depodesta, et al like to commit big money to, but they did.

    It makes me wonder if the reason they did this was because they know they are not going to offer Baker a huge contract. Oh, they'll probably try to extend him, but he isn't getting one of those huge QB contracts from the Browns. (I'm just speculating on this, as a result of Chubb, Teller and Bitonio getting extensions)

    @dutch-oven said:

    I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap. 

    @unsympathetic might be someone who could speak on this with more authority.

    But a year ago, I would have doubted a team run by analytics-driven individuals like the Browns are would pony up big money on a RB (Chubb) and OGuards (Teller and Bitonio). Those positions generally aren't what guys like Berry, Depodesta, et al like to commit big money to, but they did.

    It makes me wonder if the reason they did this was because they know they are not going to offer Baker a huge contract. Oh, they'll probably try to extend him, but he isn't getting one of those huge QB contracts from the Browns. (I'm just speculating on this, as a result of Chubb, Teller and Bitonio getting extensions)

    I think the opposite. The teams that win Super Bowls don’t have the highest paid QB. 
    They get a QB that wins with a great team around him. 
    I’m no salary cap guy, but when did the highest Paid QB win a SB?

    Mahomes? But didn’t he get paid after winning?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap. 

    @unsympathetic might be someone who could speak on this with more authority.

    But a year ago, I would have doubted a team run by analytics-driven individuals like the Browns are would pony up big money on a RB (Chubb) and OGuards (Teller and Bitonio). Those positions generally aren't what guys like Berry, Depodesta, et al like to commit big money to, but they did.

    It makes me wonder if the reason they did this was because they know they are not going to offer Baker a huge contract. Oh, they'll probably try to extend him, but he isn't getting one of those huge QB contracts from the Browns. (I'm just speculating on this, as a result of Chubb, Teller and Bitonio getting extensions)

    I think the opposite. The teams that win Super Bowls don’t have the highest paid QB. 
    They get a QB that wins with a great team around him. 
    I’m no salary cap guy, but when did the highest Paid QB win a SB?

    Mahomes? But didn’t he get paid after winning?

    @browns149 said:

    I think the opposite. The teams that win Super Bowls don’t have the highest paid QB. 
    They get a QB that wins with a great team around him. 
    I’m no salary cap guy, but when did the highest Paid QB win a SB?

    Mahomes? But didn’t he get paid after winning?

    I don't quite understand what you are saying...

    I didn't say anything about anyone being the highest paid QB. I did say that my theory of why the Browns have spent a lot of money of guys playing positions I wouldn't have thought our front office would pay a lot of money to was because they know they will not pay Baker huge money. They will either sign him to a contract they feel comfortable with (hence why they paid Chubb, Teller and Bitonio) or they will look elsewhere for a QB. 

  • @browns149 said:

    I think the opposite. The teams that win Super Bowls don’t have the highest paid QB. 
    They get a QB that wins with a great team around him. 
    I’m no salary cap guy, but when did the highest Paid QB win a SB?

    Mahomes? But didn’t he get paid after winning?

    I don't quite understand what you are saying...

    I didn't say anything about anyone being the highest paid QB. I did say that my theory of why the Browns have spent a lot of money of guys playing positions I wouldn't have thought our front office would pay a lot of money to was because they know they will not pay Baker huge money. They will either sign him to a contract they feel comfortable with (hence why they paid Chubb, Teller and Bitonio) or they will look elsewhere for a QB. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I don't quite understand what you are saying...

    I didn't say anything about anyone being the highest paid QB. I did say that my theory of why the Browns have spent a lot of money of guys playing positions I wouldn't have thought our front office would pay a lot of money to was because they know they will not pay Baker huge money. They will either sign him to a contract they feel comfortable with (hence why they paid Chubb, Teller and Bitonio) or they will look elsewhere for a QB. 

    I agree. Maybe I didn’t express it that way

    This front office is trying to build a team around team first. They are trying to win with a bunch of Joe’s vs a few Bro’s. 
     

    Plus the salary cap is going to go up and up in the next 2-3 years. They keep signing guys in that window. 
     

    Are they setting this up for a QB free agent?  It sure isn’t going to happen in the draft

  • Today we got about 250 yards of offense.  And 157 of those were from D'Ernest Johnson.  Just an awful game from both sides of the ball.  Except for D'E.

  • @browns149 said:

    Baker has to have EVERYTHING go his way to succeed. 
    If his first read isn’t there, he’s in trouble. 
    He seems to panic when he has to start looking around

    I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap. 

    @unsympathetic might be someone who could speak on this with more authority.

    But a year ago, I would have doubted a team run by analytics-driven individuals like the Browns are would pony up big money on a RB (Chubb) and OGuards (Teller and Bitonio). Those positions generally aren't what guys like Berry, Depodesta, et al like to commit big money to, but they did.

    It makes me wonder if the reason they did this was because they know they are not going to offer Baker a huge contract. Oh, they'll probably try to extend him, but he isn't getting one of those huge QB contracts from the Browns. (I'm just speculating on this, as a result of Chubb, Teller and Bitonio getting extensions)

    @dutch-oven said:

    I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the NFL salary cap

    All analytics requires someone - "The Football Guys" - to determine what positions they want to focus on.  Browns obviously decided one of theirs is OL.

    The reason OL isn't usually an invested position isn't because everybody hates the OL.. it's because many GM's choose to accumulate salaries at WR/CB positions - where the avg salary is higher.  But.. and there's always little-mentioned caveats.. If a player [let's call him Teller] is substantially better at his position than what you'll find at the average or even slightly above-average, that's where the resigning of an otherwise-ignored position would actually be determined to be worth it.

    The other piece that hasn't been mentioned much after the moves last week is.. Landry is now the #1 salary on our roster by nearly 4M.  I think we can all agree he hasn't played like that for over a season.  I'd be shocked if they don't offer to restructure after the season - and then when he refuses they'll take the 1.5 dead on 2022 and cut him.  Don't blame analytics for the hot take that 23 catches [includes today's 4] and no TD's in 10 games is not an effective way to spend 14.7M.. and next season he's 16.6 so we'll save 15.1 by cutting. 

    Note that Teller's 2022 will be only 4.8 so there's a season for a rental FA in 2022 before Teller's salary jumps to 15.8 in 2023.

    Also: Yes, the salary cap is going up next season.. but we already have increases baked into current contracts [Johnson 3.7-7.7, Hooper 8-13, Clowney 3.6 dead, Mayfield 10-18] which take up that increase of 20.  We're already starting to "mortgage the future" == take a look at Troy Hill, Clowney, and Hooper's contracts.. all of them have dead money on the cap of the year following their last year with us..

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I don't quite understand what you are saying...

    I didn't say anything about anyone being the highest paid QB. I did say that my theory of why the Browns have spent a lot of money of guys playing positions I wouldn't have thought our front office would pay a lot of money to was because they know they will not pay Baker huge money. They will either sign him to a contract they feel comfortable with (hence why they paid Chubb, Teller and Bitonio) or they will look elsewhere for a QB. 

    I agree. Maybe I didn’t express it that way

    This front office is trying to build a team around team first. They are trying to win with a bunch of Joe’s vs a few Bro’s. 
     

    Plus the salary cap is going to go up and up in the next 2-3 years. They keep signing guys in that window. 
     

    Are they setting this up for a QB free agent?  It sure isn’t going to happen in the draft

    @browns149 said:

    I agree. Maybe I didn’t express it that way

    This front office is trying to build a team around team first. They are trying to win with a bunch of Joe’s vs a few Bro’s. 
     

    Plus the salary cap is going to go up and up in the next 2-3 years. They keep signing guys in that window. 
     

    Are they setting this up for a QB free agent?  It sure isn’t going to happen in the draft

    The salary cap stuff affects the 32 teams the same obviously. Since the NFL is kind of a "copycat league," the issues with it can create gambling in the front office.

    Do you go the Seahawks way? They paid Russell Wilson so much $$ they lost their "legion of boom" D, and their O line has been subpar for awhile- just one example. Teams probably saw that, tried to be smarter. 

    Now you have the Rams, basically going "all in," kind of like the mid 90s where Carolina & Jax came into the league. The 2 franchises went two different roster directions, Jax did what you wrote regarding the Browns (paying a bunch of Joe's) while Carolina went all in. Carolina made the Super Bowl quick, but Jax was a contender longer back then. 

    This may be a homer take here, but I'm going to trust Andrew Berry on the salary cap stuff. Looks like he may copy the Steelers way ( hurts to write that lol)...Steelers don't seem to fret about losing star players and they remain a contender. 

    I'm just glad I'm not a GM. Being a Browns fan is stressful enough!!!

  • @browns149 said:

    I agree. Maybe I didn’t express it that way

    This front office is trying to build a team around team first. They are trying to win with a bunch of Joe’s vs a few Bro’s. 
     

    Plus the salary cap is going to go up and up in the next 2-3 years. They keep signing guys in that window. 
     

    Are they setting this up for a QB free agent?  It sure isn’t going to happen in the draft

    The salary cap stuff affects the 32 teams the same obviously. Since the NFL is kind of a "copycat league," the issues with it can create gambling in the front office.

    Do you go the Seahawks way? They paid Russell Wilson so much $$ they lost their "legion of boom" D, and their O line has been subpar for awhile- just one example. Teams probably saw that, tried to be smarter. 

    Now you have the Rams, basically going "all in," kind of like the mid 90s where Carolina & Jax came into the league. The 2 franchises went two different roster directions, Jax did what you wrote regarding the Browns (paying a bunch of Joe's) while Carolina went all in. Carolina made the Super Bowl quick, but Jax was a contender longer back then. 

    This may be a homer take here, but I'm going to trust Andrew Berry on the salary cap stuff. Looks like he may copy the Steelers way ( hurts to write that lol)...Steelers don't seem to fret about losing star players and they remain a contender. 

    I'm just glad I'm not a GM. Being a Browns fan is stressful enough!!!

    @bob806 said:

    Do you go the Seahawks way? They paid Russell Wilson so much $$ they lost their "legion of boom" D

    After Seahawks Super Bowl win vs Denver the Seahawks finally ran out of rollover cap from prior seasons - and had to make tough choices to be able to resign any LOB then-rookie-contract members along with Wilson.  This is an archived article before their 2013 title season started.

    It really wasn't the Wilson contract, it was the Houston-Texans-level of stupid spending before the Wilson contract which did them in.  You may have heard they had the most expensive OL during that 2013 year.. along with the 6th worst OL performance..

  • @bob806 said:

    Do you go the Seahawks way? They paid Russell Wilson so much $$ they lost their "legion of boom" D

    After Seahawks Super Bowl win vs Denver the Seahawks finally ran out of rollover cap from prior seasons - and had to make tough choices to be able to resign any LOB then-rookie-contract members along with Wilson.  This is an archived article before their 2013 title season started.

    It really wasn't the Wilson contract, it was the Houston-Texans-level of stupid spending before the Wilson contract which did them in.  You may have heard they had the most expensive OL during that 2013 year.. along with the 6th worst OL performance..

    @unsympathetic said:

    After Seahawks Super Bowl win vs Denver the Seahawks finally ran out of rollover cap from prior seasons - and had to make tough choices to be able to resign any LOB then-rookie-contract members along with Wilson.  This is an archived article before their 2013 title season started.

    It really wasn't the Wilson contract, it was the Houston-Texans-level of stupid spending before the Wilson contract which did them in.  You may have heard they had the most expensive OL during that 2013 year.. along with the 6th worst OL performance..

    Ok, didn't realize that. 

  • @londonbrown said:

    This team is so inconsistent, good luck trying to work out why and or how. I can't.

    They can beat anyone but they can also be embarrassed, I still think we'll make the playoffs 

    By going 5-2 or 6-1 down the stretch? 

    Against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, twice against Baltimore and the Packers in Green Bay on Christmas Day? 

    I like your optimism, but that's a tall order. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    By going 5-2 or 6-1 down the stretch? 

    Against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, twice against Baltimore and the Packers in Green Bay on Christmas Day? 

    I like your optimism, but that's a tall order. 

    How many wins will get a team into the AFC playoffs this year? However, this team is too dependent on the run, any team that figures that out will defeat us as Baker isn't playing well enough to overcome that and our defense sucks.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    By going 5-2 or 6-1 down the stretch? 

    Against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, twice against Baltimore and the Packers in Green Bay on Christmas Day? 

    I like your optimism, but that's a tall order. 

    How many wins will get a team into the AFC playoffs this year? However, this team is too dependent on the run, any team that figures that out will defeat us as Baker isn't playing well enough to overcome that and our defense sucks.

    @mddawg said:

    How many wins will get a team into the AFC playoffs this year? However, this team is too dependent on the run, any team that figures that out will defeat us as Baker isn't playing well enough to overcome that and our defense sucks.

    Our defense doesnt suck... The idiot thats coaching it does...

  • @dutch-oven said:

    By going 5-2 or 6-1 down the stretch? 

    Against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, twice against Baltimore and the Packers in Green Bay on Christmas Day? 

    I like your optimism, but that's a tall order. 

    How many wins will get a team into the AFC playoffs this year? However, this team is too dependent on the run, any team that figures that out will defeat us as Baker isn't playing well enough to overcome that and our defense sucks.

    @mddawg said:

    How many wins will get a team into the AFC playoffs this year? However, this team is too dependent on the run, any team that figures that out will defeat us as Baker isn't playing well enough to overcome that and our defense sucks.

    Aside from benching Harrison and cutting Walker’s snaps in half.  The personnel on the defensive side is more than capable of producing.   
     

  • @mddawg said:

    How many wins will get a team into the AFC playoffs this year? However, this team is too dependent on the run, any team that figures that out will defeat us as Baker isn't playing well enough to overcome that and our defense sucks.

    Our defense doesnt suck... The idiot thats coaching it does...

    @nickers said:

    Our defense doesnt suck... The idiot thats coaching it does...

    Until he's fired, he leads the defense so it sucks till then

  • @nickers said:

    Our defense doesnt suck... The idiot thats coaching it does...

    Until he's fired, he leads the defense so it sucks till then

    @mddawg said:

    Until he's fired, he leads the defense so it sucks till then

    Well I have a feeling Joe Woods is gonna cost Stefanski his job at seasons end...

  • @mddawg said:

    Until he's fired, he leads the defense so it sucks till then

    Well I have a feeling Joe Woods is gonna cost Stefanski his job at seasons end...

    @nickers said:

    Well I have a feeling Joe Woods is gonna cost Stefanski his job at seasons end...

    I don’t think the FO is at that point.

    Stefanski is a pink slip candidate after 2022-2023 season ….If/when Baker doesn’t perform at a higher level. Kevin may decide to get ahead of that issue this offseason.  We will see.  We are talking about adding/acquiring better WRs but we have a QB issue. And not to let  Stefanski off the hook there is also a play calling issue. 

    Woods and the defense got a pass last year because they ran with Sendejo, Robert Jackson, Porter Gustin and Mack Wilson (larger role).  To his credit a Woods defense looks great when they can dominate with the front 4.  When they struggle it’s 47/45/42 points- where’s the adjustment when bringing 4 isn’t working? 

    All this is moot if they can salvage this season- players and coaches have work to do (both). 

  • @nickers said:

    Well I have a feeling Joe Woods is gonna cost Stefanski his job at seasons end...

    I don’t think the FO is at that point.

    Stefanski is a pink slip candidate after 2022-2023 season ….If/when Baker doesn’t perform at a higher level. Kevin may decide to get ahead of that issue this offseason.  We will see.  We are talking about adding/acquiring better WRs but we have a QB issue. And not to let  Stefanski off the hook there is also a play calling issue. 

    Woods and the defense got a pass last year because they ran with Sendejo, Robert Jackson, Porter Gustin and Mack Wilson (larger role).  To his credit a Woods defense looks great when they can dominate with the front 4.  When they struggle it’s 47/45/42 points- where’s the adjustment when bringing 4 isn’t working? 

    All this is moot if they can salvage this season- players and coaches have work to do (both). 

    @sdbacker80 said:

     where’s the adjustment when bringing 4 isn’t working? 

    The TD in man to Hunter Henry against Harrison is about the most of the adjustment you're going to get.  More offenses are going to target Harrison, Delpit and Walker going forward.  Especially in man coverage situations. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

     where’s the adjustment when bringing 4 isn’t working? 

    The TD in man to Hunter Henry against Harrison is about the most of the adjustment you're going to get.  More offenses are going to target Harrison, Delpit and Walker going forward.  Especially in man coverage situations. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    The TD in man to Hunter Henry against Harrison is about the most of the adjustment you're going to get.  More offenses are going to target Harrison, Delpit and Walker going forward.  Especially in man coverage situations. 

    My personnel move is Harrison to the bench…but if he’s out there send him after the QB more than what we are doing now.

    Woods made a small adjustment last year when he realized Sendejo couldn’t cover. He snuck him to the line more and brought him on a blitz.  Sendejo in space was no good.  Harrison seems to be a similar guy, but I’ve seen his run fills too and those aren’t great either. 
     

    The ideal set-up is having 0 personnel flaws.  The reality is having a few.   

  • Got crushed. The Browns are mediocre but fan expectations are obviously inflated as they typically are. It has been decades since the Browns went an entire season being competitive and winning a high percentage of games against the good teams in the league.

    1 win this year against a team that currently has a winning record.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The TD in man to Hunter Henry against Harrison is about the most of the adjustment you're going to get.  More offenses are going to target Harrison, Delpit and Walker going forward.  Especially in man coverage situations. 

    My personnel move is Harrison to the bench…but if he’s out there send him after the QB more than what we are doing now.

    Woods made a small adjustment last year when he realized Sendejo couldn’t cover. He snuck him to the line more and brought him on a blitz.  Sendejo in space was no good.  Harrison seems to be a similar guy, but I’ve seen his run fills too and those aren’t great either. 
     

    The ideal set-up is having 0 personnel flaws.  The reality is having a few.   

    @sdbacker80 said:

    My personnel move is Harrison to the bench…but if he’s out there send him after the QB more than what we are doing now.

    Woods made a small adjustment last year when he realized Sendejo couldn’t cover. He snuck him to the line more and brought him on a blitz.  Sendejo in space was no good.  Harrison seems to be a similar guy, but I’ve seen his run fills too and those aren’t great either. 
     

    The ideal set-up is having 0 personnel flaws.  The reality is having a few.   

    The flip side is now you've given a different method for offenses to attack.  If I know you like bringing Harrison as the 5th man more often then not, I can draw up ways to beat his pressure.  This also likely exposes Walker, Delpit and/or whatever other backer is out there in our nickel packages.  Depit in that type of role doesn't concern me, I suppose. He's held up alright as an additional blitzer and matching up in man. But with Troy Hill now out, your nickel DB is going to be target #1 on defense. 

    I'm not saying there isn't ways to help supplement the pass rush and remove Harrison from a position of weakness. But it cuts down on a number of other calls you'd like to make and does something that hasn't worked well to the Browns favor the last 5 years - blitz rate hasn't generated equal success on pressure rate. 

    Single high shell looks become a hit or miss issue because that isn't really what Johnny J's game is tailored to.  He can do a bit of everything, but not at the highest of levels. So while we might have the corners, we don't have that elite center fielder.   

    If we had average to slightly above level play from Harrison along with the linebackers, it would go a long way to solving issues. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    My personnel move is Harrison to the bench…but if he’s out there send him after the QB more than what we are doing now.

    Woods made a small adjustment last year when he realized Sendejo couldn’t cover. He snuck him to the line more and brought him on a blitz.  Sendejo in space was no good.  Harrison seems to be a similar guy, but I’ve seen his run fills too and those aren’t great either. 
     

    The ideal set-up is having 0 personnel flaws.  The reality is having a few.   

    The flip side is now you've given a different method for offenses to attack.  If I know you like bringing Harrison as the 5th man more often then not, I can draw up ways to beat his pressure.  This also likely exposes Walker, Delpit and/or whatever other backer is out there in our nickel packages.  Depit in that type of role doesn't concern me, I suppose. He's held up alright as an additional blitzer and matching up in man. But with Troy Hill now out, your nickel DB is going to be target #1 on defense. 

    I'm not saying there isn't ways to help supplement the pass rush and remove Harrison from a position of weakness. But it cuts down on a number of other calls you'd like to make and does something that hasn't worked well to the Browns favor the last 5 years - blitz rate hasn't generated equal success on pressure rate. 

    Single high shell looks become a hit or miss issue because that isn't really what Johnny J's game is tailored to.  He can do a bit of everything, but not at the highest of levels. So while we might have the corners, we don't have that elite center fielder.   

    If we had average to slightly above level play from Harrison along with the linebackers, it would go a long way to solving issues. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    The flip side is now you've given a different method for offenses to attack.  If I know you like bringing Harrison as the 5th man more often then not, I can draw up ways to beat his pressure.  This also likely exposes Walker, Delpit and/or whatever other backer is out there in our nickel packages.  Depit in that type of role doesn't concern me, I suppose. He's held up alright as an additional blitzer and matching up in man. But with Troy Hill now out, your nickel DB is going to be target #1 on defense. 

    I'm not saying there isn't ways to help supplement the pass rush and remove Harrison from a position of weakness. But it cuts down on a number of other calls you'd like to make and does something that hasn't worked well to the Browns favor the last 5 years - blitz rate hasn't generated equal success on pressure rate. 

    Single high shell looks become a hit or miss issue because that isn't really what Johnny J's game is tailored to.  He can do a bit of everything, but not at the highest of levels. So while we might have the corners, we don't have that elite center fielder.   

    If we had average to slightly above level play from Harrison along with the linebackers, it would go a long way to solving issues. 

    I think I’d tinker with the approach now- or at the very least mix up the looks.   After the countless 3rd and long conversions my solution wouldn’t be Myles beating the chip or double because we are sending just the front 4 and get a sack or a pressure every third down.  
     

    Id probably make LeCounte and Fields active this Sunday too.  Maybe some of these guys need other players on their heels