Skip to content

Leonard traded to Panthers

The Browns Board
21 10 1.8k
  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Panthers.com---CHARLOTTE -- The Carolina Panthers have traded an undisclosed draft choice to the Cleveland Browns for defensive tackle Louis Leonard, the club announced Tuesday.

    Leonard, 6-foot-4 and 325 pounds, appeared in 20 games with four starts over two seasons with Cleveland in 2007 and 2008, posting 33 tackles. He was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by San Diego in 2007 and spent two weeks on the Chargers' practice squad before being signed by the St. Louis Rams to the active roster Sept. 12, 2007. Leonard was waived by St. Louis on Oct. 6, 2007 and was signed by Cleveland as a free agent on Oct. 8.

    A native of Los Angeles, Calif., Leonard, 25, played in 43 games at Fresno State with 28 starts, registering 68 tackles and 6.5 sacks. He was a teammate of current Panthers cornerback Richard Marshall at Fresno State.

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #2

    I liked Leonard, but we go two deep without him.

    Number two guy to be jettisoned after debating with Cox BTW.

  • ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Sure looking like the staff plans on keeping Cory Williams.

    Perhaps those comments by Mangini about Williams didn't have any between the lines reading...

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I like the fact we were able to salvage something for a guy who would likely be cut in a few days.

  • I like the fact we were able to salvage something for a guy who would likely be cut in a few days.

    D D'Qwimbley wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @ballpeen said:

    I like the fact we were able to salvage something for a guy who would likely be cut in a few days.

    I think he would have been kept. We usually keep 7-8 DL and he was #7, I think. Good backup DE, but was forced to backup up Rogers some last year and NT isn't his spot.

  • ClevelandFanForLifeC ClevelandFanForLife wrote on last edited by
    #6

    so what are we guessing here like a 6th round pick?

  • S Solon16 wrote on last edited by Solon16
    #7

    Finally a Gm acquiring more picks for a draft that giving them away...sweet....especially for a guy we got off the wire

  • @ballpeen said:

    I like the fact we were able to salvage something for a guy who would likely be cut in a few days.

    I think he would have been kept. We usually keep 7-8 DL and he was #7, I think. Good backup DE, but was forced to backup up Rogers some last year and NT isn't his spot.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @d-qwimbley said:

    I think he would have been kept. We usually keep 7-8 DL and he was #7, I think. Good backup DE, but was forced to backup up Rogers some last year and NT isn't his spot.

    Right now the DL roster looks like Rogers, Rubin, Mosely, R. Smith, C. Williams, Coleman, and maybe Thomas.

  • S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    No Bowens? or he considered LB

  • so what are we guessing here like a 6th round pick?

    OconReconO OconRecon wrote on last edited by OconRecon
    #10

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    so what are we guessing here like a 6th round pick?

    I'm thinking the same thing. Gotta be.

  • No Bowens? or he considered LB

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @solon16 said:

    No Bowens? or he considered LB

    He's OLB

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    so what are we guessing here like a 6th round pick?

    I'm thinking the same thing. Gotta be.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #12

    @oconrecon said:

    I'm thinking the same thing. Gotta be.

    I think for now it is a conditional 7th rounder. If Leonard hits some targets, it gets better...6th round....maybe even a 5th if he plays well.

  • @solon16 said:

    No Bowens? or he considered LB

    He's OLB

    S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Masters said:

    He's OLB

    I thought he played both end and Olb...or is it that he plays both OLB and MLB.... either way haven't seen him play a down of football yet...!

  • Masters said:

    He's OLB

    I thought he played both end and Olb...or is it that he plays both OLB and MLB.... either way haven't seen him play a down of football yet...!

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @solon16 said:

    I thought he played both end and Olb...or is it that he plays both OLB and MLB.... either way haven't seen him play a down of football yet...!

    He's all OLB as far as I know. Though he might be able to play some ILB.

    He hasn't played any preseason football. Been nursing an injury.

  • Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #15

    undisclosed may be do to how much time he sees during the regular season.

  • @solon16 said:

    I thought he played both end and Olb...or is it that he plays both OLB and MLB.... either way haven't seen him play a down of football yet...!

    He's all OLB as far as I know. Though he might be able to play some ILB.

    He hasn't played any preseason football. Been nursing an injury.

    ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Masters said:

    He's all OLB as far as I know. Though he might be able to play some ILB.

    He hasn't played any preseason football. Been nursing an injury.

    Bowens proved his versatility last year by starting five games inside, replacing the injured David Harris. He can also line up at DE on passing downs, much like David Veikune is currently doing.

    I think the Leonard trade makes a lot a sense. As weak as our pass rush looked against the Titans, it makes sense to keep Corey around at least one more year as an interior rusher. Hopefully, he and Rogers can get after the QB when we go to a four man line.

    And D'Qwimbley's right: in a 3-4, Leonard's a better fit at end than at the nose. He & Williams actually formed a decent LE rotation late in the year; I think the reduced snaps were part of the reason why Williams' play picked up slightly in the second half of '08.

    If the plan is to keep Williams around, the team might as well get value for Leonard. And as Russ said, there may be a "don't mess with Cox" message in there as well.

  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #17

    hoppel to the PS then?

  • OconReconO OconRecon wrote on last edited by OconRecon
    #18

    from James Walker this morning:

    The Cleveland Browns traded defensive lineman Louis Leonard to the Carolina Panthers for an undisclosed draft pick.

    Morning take: This was a "sell high" situation for the Browns. Leonard was a raw project who was coming into his own this summer, and Carolina was willing to pay the right price to get him.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post?id=2427

  • BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Wasnt there a Panthers Fan who started a thread about this possible trade ?

  • Wasnt there a Panthers Fan who started a thread about this possible trade ?

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @brownindian said:

    Wasnt there a Panthers Fan who started a thread about this possible trade ?

    I think they were talking about trading for Corey Williams, not Leonard.